Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

star citizen: respect the fishing pact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Say the morons sniping daily from behind a hate sub-Redd. Yeah.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

KiddieGrinder posted:

Talking about Star Citizen a lot in a negative way=crazy and needs help.

Talking about Star Citizen a lot in a positive way=passionate and valuable member of the community.

Apparently

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

A bloody mary costs $5 in real life US dollars. For the price of four drinks you can buy a spaceship with warp drive and lasers and poo poo. :wtchris:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xaerael posted:

I swear, the next time one of those CIG morons calls what they're doing "Crowdfunding"...

They can call it crowdfunding when they prove that every penny has only ever been spent on developing the game, and not on retardedly expensive superfluous garbage. You DO NOT call gathering money for the purpose of outfitting your man-cave come gaming studio "crowdfunding".

gently caress. Off. Fatlord.

Nothing about crowdfunding means they have to spend the money on anything in particular. It's just gathering funds! From a crowd!

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Nothing about crowdfunding means they have to spend the money on anything in particular. It's just gathering funds! From a crowd!

No that's crowdfleecing

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Gwaihir posted:

I didn't know giving money to Scientology was crowdfunding.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

D_Smart posted:

Yup. And I'm still shadowbanned I think back when The Wuldge and some of his rear end in a top hat friends (e.g. Dovrak) reported me for "doxing" him. Though I haven't posted in awhile, I don't think it's been lifted yet.

Dolvak still bitches about it too. It's hilarious how much he plays the victim.

Someone asked him recently about him having deleted his post history and he said he did it after you "doxxed" him. Because him yelling at the top of his lungs "I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE! YOU CAN SEE MY POST HISTORY!" resulted in people actually reading his post history and finding out he's a massive loving idiot so suddenly it was "doxxing" and he deleted it all.

Dolvak is a hypocrite, coward, and overall waste of a human being.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

[–]paulus1978Grand Admiral 2 points 9 minutes ago
Everyone is pretty much in the same boat as you. The more populated the server the lower your fps is. Don't worry, they already know about this and are working on a patch.
The flight tutorial in particular seems to be stuttering for no good reason. You might be best jumping on the other parts of the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

A bloody mary costs $5 in real life US dollars. For the price of four drinks you can buy a spaceship with warp drive and lasers and poo poo. :wtchris:

Have you seen ship insurance ? They are literally giving you a replacement ship at no cost to you regardless of how many times it blows up or is stolen. Its obvious that in SCs universe they are very efficient in the production of space ships.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Come on, stop complaining and do one of the hundreds of other activities that are available in the game.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

watching that now

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

xanif posted:

Dolvak still bitches about it too. It's hilarious how much he plays the victim.

Someone asked him recently about him having deleted his post history and he said he did it after you "doxxed" him. Because him yelling at the top of his lungs "I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE! YOU CAN SEE MY POST HISTORY!" resulted in people actually reading his post history and finding out he's a massive loving idiot so suddenly it was "doxxing" and he deleted it all.

Dolvak is a hypocrite, coward, and overall waste of a human being.

Yes. Which is why I pointed the spotlight on his Sperg rear end.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I take it this isn't the thread to ask about the current state of development?

I was one of the fools that backed the kickstarter(I think I got beta access and a starter ship). Then promptly forgot about it until 6-7 months ago.

Grabbed the client, downloaded the gajillion gigs and wandered around the hanger area. I think I even got a towel?

After like 20 minutes I jumped into my ship, and shot some drones. KBM controls were a little wonky and I'm not enough of a Serious Flight Sim Dude to shell out cash for a proper joystick.

Not super impressive but the bragsheet emails RSI sends out makes it sound like they're getting ready to roll out the persistent universe stuff. Was just wondering if anyone had checked it out recently.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Gamesguy posted:

what an age they live in

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Precisely.

And I've already stated this for the record - and in public (where croberts & go get to cite it) - I'm already $100K in retainers to no less than three law firms. And that's even less than the $250K I forked out for each of the lawsuits I was involved in these past years. I've posted links to some of those (and some of the bills) before.

Which is why I smirk at morons who think they're God's gift to mankind because they happened to invest $30K on vaporware. And so they have carte blanche to abuse people, harass, behave badly etc.

I do this specifically because they made it about me, singled me out - and tried to make me look like a fool.

I do this because I know with 100% certainty, that I am right about this project. And I have mountains of evidence, complete with credible statements (all of which will end up in depositions taken under oath) to back up my claims.

Anyone who thinks I'm doing this for them, is misguided. And a fool. If anyone benefits from whatever comes from this, it will be just a side effect of why I'm doing this. Which is precisely why, on my own time and my own dime, I have people helping others and guiding them on how to get a refund, what their rights are, who to complain to etc.

There is a much bigger picture at play here.

The question people should be asking is why, after two months, they haven't sued The Escapist (who they threatened, but never threatened me with that) yet. Let alone me. It's not like they have that much stuff to collect when it's already out there.

Fact is, the minute those idiots threaten me with any lawsuit, one of my attorneys is ready to march into court, motion to compel in hand. Then they're hosed and have to sue me or else.

Maybe they are getting ready to sue you but their :woof: told them to keep their mouth shut. Isn't that how it goes?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

coconono posted:

I take it this isn't the thread to ask about the current state of development?

I was one of the fools that backed the kickstarter(I think I got beta access and a starter ship). Then promptly forgot about it until 6-7 months ago.

Grabbed the client, downloaded the gajillion gigs and wandered around the hanger area. I think I even got a towel?

After like 20 minutes I jumped into my ship, and shot some drones. KBM controls were a little wonky and I'm not enough of a Serious Flight Sim Dude to shell out cash for a proper joystick.

Not super impressive but the bragsheet emails RSI sends out makes it sound like they're getting ready to roll out the persistent universe stuff. Was just wondering if anyone had checked it out recently.

The current state of development is to get a refund asap :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gamesguy posted:

Does SC actually feature G-LOC?

And why are the prices of Margarita and Negroni so precise?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Does CIG do charity stuff?

Elite dangerous is having a silent auction for:

quote:

Name your own station
An extremely exclusive item. Previously only available as a high-level Kickstarter reward, this item can now be bought in this charity auction. Please note: Frontier will decide on the station location and reserve the right to edit, adjust and veto names at their discretion.

Your Personal Unique Paint Job
This prize is an exclusive one of a kind paint job only for you on the ship of your choice. You’ll get access to our designer, Tjaart, who will help develop the paint job and add it your account. Frontier reserve the right to void or veto any requests and suggest alternatives if they are not possible or suitable for the game.

Every paint job in the Frontier Store
This prize is for one of every single paint job, including paint packs, in the Frontier Store. This includes all Paint Jobs currently available but won’t include future paint jobs released.

Lifetime expansion pass
Currently not available to purchase this item gives you every single expansion in Elite Dangerous starting with Horizons. It also includes access to every beta update that comes to Elite Dangerous…. forever.

And all the proceeds go to some charity.

Does CIG do this kind of thing just grub up all the money they can get?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
They did one for Veterans day once, sold a 15-20 dollar item. People complained about um...supporting war criminals or something so they didnt do it again.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Does Sandi's acting career count

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Elite dangerous is having a silent auction for:

And all the proceeds go to some charity.

Sure, it all goes to the Chris Roberts Center For Wannabe Actress' Who Can't Act Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

People aren't pledging money to make Star Citizen, they are pledging money to make a game studio called CIG, who just so happens to be making Star Citizen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

hakimashou posted:

They took in a hobo off the street and gave him a job presenting bad videos and livestreams.

e: They probably found their VIP of marketing that way too.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 13, 2015

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Yes- Sandi has made it a term of her contract that any TV series or feature film she stars in can only shoot on Saturdays and Sundays.

It's incredibly inefficient and expensive, and only a few actors have the clout to dictate such terms on a production, but when you hire Sandi you get the equivalent of ten actresses in one so it kind of balances itself out in the end.

Here are four of them...

She could not even resist looking straight into the camera in the 4th image...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

As a whole body, the only charity thing done was the Veteran's Day Hornet Body Kit thing, which Eric Peterson championed after being approached by BWC, and as others pointed out went over about as well as a brick through a window with the pledge base.

Since then, any charity thing has been done by individuals. Pete MacKay did the Austin rappel for cancer research back in the Morlan/Peterson days. Since then, I'm not aware of anyone doing such a thing outside of James Pugh's Extra Life charity stream.

I have no knowledge of CR or Sandi or any of the other upper management doing any charity or charity-esque activities, and I wouldn't call CR's spotlight videos (E:D and Garriot's SotA) much of a charity.

I imagine this will be Sandi when she realizes what she has done to other people, and the problems she will face are because of what she has done.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 13, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Bootcha posted:

As a whole body, the only charity thing done was the Veteran's Day Hornet Body Kit thing, which Eric Peterson championed after being approached by BWC, and as others pointed out went over about as well as a brick through a window with the pledge base.

Since then, any charity thing has been done by individuals. Pete MacKay did the Austin rappel for cancer research back in the Morlan/Peterson days. Since then, I'm not aware of anyone doing such a thing outside of James Pugh's Extra Life charity stream.

I have no knowledge of CR or Sandi or any of the other upper management doing any charity or charity-esque activities, and I wouldn't call CR's spotlight videos (E:D and Garriot's SotA) much of a charity.

It went over badly because some Eurobackers were offended that they had the opportunity to pay to a charity that sent the money to US veterans, no? I guess you'll always have things like this whenever you promote anything that has to do with the US military (look at some of the rage that went on against America's Army).

With that said, I thought it was a nice cause (and I am european).

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 13, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

They did one for Veterans day once, sold a 15-20 dollar item. People complained about um...supporting war criminals or something so they didnt do it again.

They had a world wide store selling a ship skin for the most powerful single/double seater ship in the game at the time (a ship skin that they hinted would be part of an upgrade path to something you couldn't just buy) with the money going to a US based charity that gave computer games or something to members of the US military.

Plenty of my family have served, I give to UK based military charities and even I think the move was completely tone deaf to how it would play outside the US. But then I'm fairly well travelled and have lived in parts of the UK where displaying the British Legion Poppy would not be a wise decision. If there'd been a 2nd option there wouldn't have been a problem but there wasn't, so spergs have the choice of paying for a cause they wouldn't normally contribute towards or thinking they were missing out on something "limited/rare", nerd gold. This broke quite a few of them, the skin is one of the extremely few items CIG has never been sold again.

Now I understand that a lot of US people won't understand why any of it is an issue but it got ugly fast for a reason, you work with the world you live in not the one you want to live in. CIG have avoided the charity issue completely as a company since I think. Individual staff members have done the ice bucket thing and I think James did some kind of 24 hour stream for some kids thing or something, no issues at all with those.

AP fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 13, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

G0RF posted:

Yes- Sandi has made it a term of her contract that any TV series or feature film she stars in can only shoot on Saturdays and Sundays.

It's incredibly inefficient and expensive, and only a few actors have the clout to dictate such terms on a production, but when you hire Sandi you get the equivalent of ten actresses in one so it kind of balances itself out in the end.

She also flies coach instead of more expensive seats which someone who was stroking their own ego would buy.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Decrepus posted:

She also flies coach instead of more expensive seats which someone who was stroking their own ego would buy.

She seems like the sort of awful seatmate who would sit there constantly trying to drop hints that she's an actress so that she could answer a question about what she's been in. Just non-stop. All flight.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

I'm fairly well travelled and have lived in parts of the UK where displaying the British Legion Poppy would not be a wise decision.

Where was this? :gonk:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
So who's going to write the kickstarter for the spiritual successor to star citizen? Might as well get a head start on it.

p.s. derek, buy me a form2 printer

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Where was this? :gonk:

Northern Ireland. My local postman got shot when I was kid just because he had the crown symbol on his van, not that he had much choice, being a postman. A lot of people similarly have a problem with the Red Poppy even today.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Having witnessed the Veteran's charity thing back in 2013, I'll put it this way as a Euro myself. BWC was perfectly fine with proposing it. Eric Peterson was perfectly fine with championing it. And CIG was also fine in going through with it.

But, as is usual, their community team really dropped the ball in how they handled it. Some of their volunteer mods actually handled it well...but others just made the antagonism worse and brought out the most fervent idiot trolls that equate all americans to nazis ect. And it was all happening alongside the forum rules also being rewritten too (not that that did anything but make the brown sea even worse), so that just left an even sourer taste in everyone's mouths).

I think if they had just been moreso upfront in saying that this was for US vets specifically (because I remember them obfuscating it and going full out 'Support da troops. Not sayin' which, but you know which' and jingoist assholes like Shankerz only making it worse with 'US troops best troops, 'murica! and gently caress all others' and not getting warned for poo poo while his opposing assholes caught bans), and if they had genuine paid mods and a community team that knew what they were doing, they could totally have done it just fine. I mean hell, if these kinds of things keep being done relatively well under CCP all the time, I see no reason why CIG couldn't either. But of course, the community team is lazy, unwilling to genuinely tackle this and learn from it so...they prefer to go for the moreso easy money since then. Like just printing out some more .jpegs - surely that costs them nothing, won't ever be questioned as shady on the forums and totally won't ever be controversial (at least not with their whales).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 14, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6072969/#Comment_6072969

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6078020/#Comment_6078020

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6077304/#Comment_6077304

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

But, as is usual, their community team really dropped the ball in how they handled it.

If it hadn't been a limited item it wouldn't have been an issue. They could have just focused all the money for the few days after it went up to the US charity and said it was going on the store normally afterwards.

But CIG got 50% of the cash, so they made it limited and only sold it for a few days to drive insane demand, because money.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

quote:

The F7A Military Hornet upgrade pack costs $20 and 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Play To Give Back charity.

They didn't think it through at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AP posted:

They have to cover their production and shipping costs. Mailing jpg's isn't cheap.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

If it hadn't been a limited item it wouldn't have been an issue. They could have just focused all the money for the few days after it went up to the US charity and said it was going on the store normally afterwards.

But CIG got 50% of the cash, so they made it limited and only sold it for a few days to drive insane demand, because money.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

I think that was still one of their better spirited sales. Especially considering that it was one of the only really popular visual-only upgrade (which they should have a lot more of instead of semi-P2W upgrades).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6073447/#Comment_6073447

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

They use the minecraft wiki definition of griefing, TIL.

:circlefap:

What's better is that wikipedia has a compiled list!

-Intentional friendly fire or deliberately performing actions detrimental to other team members' game performance, including wasting or destroying key game elements, colluding with the opposition and giving false information.

-Actions undertaken to waste other players' time. For example, when losing in a turn-based game, a player may play as slowly as possible. In other games, they may hide from an enemy when there is no tactical benefit in doing so.

-Impersonation of server administrators or other players through similar screen names.

-Any method of reversing another player's progress, such as destroying or modifying other players' creations in sandbox games like Minecraft and Terraria.

-Faking extreme incompetence with the intent of hurting teammates or failing an in-game objective.

-Written or verbal insults, including false accusations of cheating or griefing. Often directed at the server administrator.

-Purposeful violation of server rules or guidelines.

-Kill stealing, denying another player the pleasure or gain of killing a target that should have been theirs.

-Spamming a voice or text chat channel to inconvenience, harass or annoy other players.

-Uploading offensive or explicit images to profile pictures or to game skins.

-Camping at a corpse or spawn area to repeatedly kill players as they resurrect, preventing them from being able to play.

-Acting out-of-character in a role-play setting to disrupt the serious gameplay of others.

-Luring many monsters or one big one to chase the griefer, before moving to where other players are "kiting" (attacking monsters from a safe distance). The line of monsters in pursuit looks like a train, and hence this is sometimes called "training".

-Blocking another player's way so they cannot move to or from a particular area, or access an in-game resource (such as a non-player character).

-Deliberately blocking shots from a player's own team or blocking a player's view by standing in front of them so they cannot damage the enemy.

-Intentionally attempting to crash a server, in order to cause interference among players.

-Intentionally using glitches or exploits to halt the progress of a Co-op or Multiplayer game (such as destroying or blocking off access to items without which other players cannot finish the game).

-"Aggroing", i.e. baiting large groups of enemies or very strong enemies into attacking players who are not prepared to battle those enemies.

-Abusing an in-game "Spectator Mode" to freely fly around the map and give information to allies, such as item spawns, enemy positions, and other information that the ally wouldn't have been able to know on his own. Some games block spectators from chatting with teammates, but this can be circumvented using an external chat program.

-Intentionally lagging a server through various means, such as spawning large amounts of resource-demanding objects.

-Trapping teammates in inescapable locations by use of physics props, special abilities, or in the case of Team Fortress 2, using teleporters to teleport teammates into inescapable locations.

-Constantly pausing the game or lowering game speed down to the slowest one, in the hopes that the winning player will simply give up in frustration and quit, instead of finishing the game and defeating them.

:asoiaf:

Literally "No Fun Allowed" because they just say everything is griefing.

Edit: loving lol, Chris is griefing his community

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread