Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Beeez posted:

Grievous and Vader after putting on the suit are the only lightsaber-wielding characters that never spin in the movies. Cyborgs can't spin.

On the Sidious and Plagueis thing, in the script and novelization Palpatine admits Plagueis was his master and that he never actually learned the secret to controlling life. Plagueis is way more likely to be Anakin's father.

Grievous doesn't need to spin his whole body, he can just do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Steve2911 posted:

Absolutely, but everything that happens in the OT isn't part of some huge elaborate master plan.
Neither is the PT. Just most of it.

Palpatine doesn't have every last detail planned, and he isn't winging everything due to coincidences either. He's setting things up in a way that makes his ultimate plans inevitable, and using what he can along the way to get there.

TPM is a good example of this. By all appearances, Palpatine really does want the Jedi dead at the beginning and Amidala a prisoner on Naboo, to make Valorum look weak and his own position sympathetic. Except that all goes pear-shaped when Amidala and the Jedi escape both the Federation and Maul, so once they all arrive in Coruscant, he regroups. Now he convinces Amidala to do both things, get rid of Valorum and set himself up for the Chancellorship. Same outcome, unintended way of getting there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

Absolutely, but everything that happens in the OT isn't part of some huge elaborate master plan.

Not everything, but then, neither is everything in the PT. But "scheming, nigh-omniscient Palpatine sitting in his spiderweb" isn't something the prequels came up with:

ROTJ posted:

EMPEROR
Patience, my friend. In time he will seek you out. And when he does,
you must bring him
before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the
dark side of the
Force.

VADER
As you wish.

EMPEROR
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

ROTJ posted:

EMPEROR
Then you must go to the Sanctuary Moon and wait for them.

VADER (skeptical)
He will come to me?

EMPEROR
I have foreseen it. His compassion for you will be his undoing. He will
come to you and
then you will bring him before me.

This is what the Emperor does. And if you watch the prequels first, you'll know exactly how impossibly good the Emperor is at foreseeing events and manipulating his enemies into inescapable traps. It heightens the stakes of ROTJ immeasurably, because you actually know what Luke and the Rebels are up against. You know what Palpatine is capable of. You know that when he says, "I have foreseen it. Everything is going as planned," he means it, and he has the resume to back it up.

He even tricks the Rebels in ROTJ in nearly the exact same manner he tricks Obi-Wan and the Jedi in AOTC:

quote:

EMPEROR (angry)
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.
(indicates Endor)
Your friends up there on the Sanctuary Moon...

Luke reacts. The Emperor notes it.

EMPEROR (cont)
...are walking into a trap. As is your Rebel fleet! It was I who
allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It
is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my
best troops awaits them.

He led the Rebel Alliance by the nose by letting the location of the Death Star (and knowledge of his presence on it) fall into their hands. He ensured the Rebels weren't suspicious by making them work for the information ("Many Bothans died...."). The prize Palpatine offered up to them was so enticing that the Rebel Alliance didn't dare look a gift horse in the mouth. It really is the same exact trick.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

El Burbo posted:

Grievous doesn't need to spin his whole body, he can just do this

I like that there are people that say this is less ridiculous than what we see in the prequels.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone know where exactly people are getting the spoilers in the other thread from?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

actually palpatine was just talking about his dick.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone know where exactly people are getting the spoilers in the other thread from?
Just search for "force awakens spoilers" or "force awakens synopsis" in Google. The top few links have pretty much everything.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jewel Repetition posted:

Latino Review

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

As an aside, why do people say this all the time now? Did I miss something?

How many 2015 join dates do you see on profiles?

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
The Chess motif is everywhere. A good chess player doesn't have to predict his opponents every move. He just has to set up a situation where every move his opponent might make leads to his own victory.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I think the prequel trilogy story would have been more powerful if Dooku and the Seperatist where not being controlled by Palpetine at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Then AOTC really would make no sense.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Payndz posted:

Just search for "force awakens spoilers" or "force awakens synopsis" in Google. The top few links have pretty much everything.

I don't actually want to know the spoilers, I was just curious what the source of the leaks was.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunatic Pathos posted:

The Chess motif is everywhere. A good chess player doesn't have to predict his opponents every move. He just has to set up a situation where every move his opponent might make leads to his own victory.

Yeah, somebody mentioned that he was lucky that Jango failed to kill Padme, but that would have driven Anakin down a dark path too, especially if he was burdened with having failed to protect her. All paths led to the dark side for that guy.

I think this sums up Palpatine's MO about as well as anything

1 Peter 5:8 posted:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 14, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Consider that "coincidences" and "lucky" breaks are built into the very fabric and functionality of the Star Wars universe. The Force permeates everything. The people of this world, from the most spiritual to the most skeptic, would know and experience causality very differently than how we do. They'd come to expect incredibly improbable events and near saves as a facet of their lives; in other words, they are aware that they exist in a state that would only make sense to us as Narrative. The sort of accidental fortune (or bewildering misfortune) that only seems to exist our films and televisions and books is a common experience for the denizens of Star Wars.

So when we say "Jeez, Palpatine sure left a lot of his plans up to chance and very risky gambits" it's like...well, yeah. He did. But it's not all that different from Obi-Wan and Yoda basing their counter-scheme on two babies, Plan A and Plan B, and just trusting that things will work out this way despite the millions of things that could have gone wrong with their whole "set some pieces in play and just wait to see what happens" approach. What if Han never came back to help Luke blow up the giant space ball? What if Luke really did freeze and die on Hoth? What if Leia got eaten, along with rest of the Millenium Falcon, by that giant space penis? There was a lot that could have gone catastrophically, but we just sort of accept that it didn't because we're watching the serendipitous Narrative of these characters...literally the will of the Force. Well, in the PT, it was Palpatine's serendipitous Narrative at work.

Cnut the Great posted:

It reinforces the idea that Anakin is nothing more than a tool and a fetish object to Palpatine. It really is all about an old pervert seducing a confused little boy for his own sick gratification. It's no mistake that Ian McDiarmid plays so many of his scenes with Anakin in Episode III with weird sexual undertones.

There's a definite psychosexual component to the master-apprentice relationships among both the Jedi and the Sith. For the Jedi it tends to manifest as chastity training; Obi-Wan and Anakin "love" each other, but it is love as defined by boundaries and self-discipline. It pleases Ob-Wan, and Anakin's other masters, when he controls himself. Anakin is literally (and consistently) praised when he doesn't get what he wants. Chastity.

For the Sith it's the reverse, the free pursuit of sex and the promise of getting what they want from their relationship. Of course, Anakin doesn't "want" Sheev, he wants Padme...but he's offering that too. He's literally promising to save Anakin's sex life.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Never tell me the odds.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

How could you not follow it up with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

Like the only thing i ever remember seeing showing Sidious with the level of "i'm the loving boss" force powers he should have.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess now is a good time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebplsBcKDG0

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't actually want to know the spoilers, I was just curious what the source of the leaks was.

Be warned, the world premiere is tomorrow. Expect even more prevalent spoilers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Savage Opress sounds like a name straight out of Mobile Suit Gundam 00, where you have people with names like "Bring Stabity" and "Revive Revival" running around.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Raxivace posted:

Savage Opress sounds like a name straight out of Mobile Suit Gundam 00, where you have people with names like "Bring Stabity", and "Revive Revival" running around.

The roguish loner guy is named Han Solo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zoran posted:

The roguish loner guy is named Han Solo.

He's not a loner though: he pals around the universe with Chewie. :colbert:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I've got a pet dog but that doesn't mean i have friends

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I get why they did it, but I kind of wish they hadn't gone so over the top with the monster makeup for Palpatine in episode 3. There's something to be said for the idea of him revealing his "true self", but I think it would have worked just as well if they'd just aged him subtly through the prequels. McDiramid's performance is good enough that I think he could have been scary regardless. The fact that he looks better at the beginning of episode 3 than he does in episode 2 kind makes it seem like that may have been the original plan.

On the other hand, the Emperor becoming a bloated self parody the minute he reaches the apex of his power is in keeping with the bigger themes of the prequels.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Raxivace posted:

Plenty of loners have a loving dog.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

I've got a pet dog but that doesn't mean i have friends

Chewbacca is not a dog. He also should have gotten a medal for his bravery.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Chewbacca is not a dog. He also should have gotten a medal for his bravery.

Unfortunately the Battle of Yavin took place before the days of the big tent Rebellion we saw in ROTJ. The ANH-era Rebellion was pretty much all white human landowners.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Han is just pretending chewbacca is talking like any other crazy dog owner

(a picture of chewbacca)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What's the consensus on Anakin being created by Palpatine or his master? I assumed that was taken as a given, but if people are arguing that Anakin's fall was Palpatine's Plan B then I don't see how that fits.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hat Thoughts posted:

How many 2015 join dates do you see on profiles?
Fair number, really. There's tons of older ones still active, of course.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

the trump tutelage posted:

What's the consensus on Anakin being created by Palpatine or his master? I assumed that was taken as a given, but if people are arguing that Anakin's fall was Palpatine's Plan B then I don't see how that fits.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether Anakin was created by Plagueis, Sidious, the Force itself, or an unknown drifter. Anakin was an opportunity which Palpatine exploited.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frackie Robinson posted:

Unfortunately the Battle of Yavin took place before the days of the big tent Rebellion we saw in ROTJ. The ANH-era Rebellion was pretty much all white human landowners.

That's exactly what the one in Firefly was, which is funny.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It was actually god. Didn't you guys read the bible?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

hemale in pain posted:

Han is just pretending chewbacca is talking like any other crazy dog owner
Off topic, but this is my theory regarding Groot and Rocket. It seems like exactly the type of thing Rocket would do, deciding what his companion is saying to suit his mood. It works especially well for the scene after the fight with Ronan on Knowhere.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Anakin's father is actually a young Dengar.

Shmi had the hots for mummies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

On the Sidious and Plagueis thing, in the script and novelization Palpatine admits Plagueis was his master and that he never actually learned the secret to controlling life. Plagueis is way more likely to be Anakin's father.

In the script and the novelization for RotJ Owen Laws is Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother, so that honestly doesn't matter in the slightest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Obi-Wan did consider Anakin his brother

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nessus posted:

Fair number, really. There's tons of older ones still active, of course.

Okay, well, in reality - no - there's like 6 and 3 of those are re-regs. If you want exact info on the slow and inevitable decline of this website/forums in general tho you can check out QCS, where ppl have made graphs and various other fun visual references.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Okay, well, in reality - no - there's like 6 and 3 of those are re-regs. If you want exact info on the slow and inevitable decline of this website/forums in general tho you can check out QCS, where ppl have made graphs and various other fun visual references.
So what is the new hip relevant cool forum we should all migrate to so I can skip searching for a bunch of graphs about how Lowtax needs to bring back LF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nessus posted:

So what is the new hip relevant cool forum we should all migrate to so I can skip searching for a bunch of graphs about how Lowtax needs to bring back LF

What?

• Locked thread