Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Siivola posted:

Haha. Ha. Heh. Screw masks, I just ordered my first sword. It cost way too much, yet I somehow can't think of any convincing reason why this was a terrible idea. :shepspends:

(I need want a sidesword and a Finnish fencing store just happened to have Darkwood Armory parts on sale...)

I ordered a Marozzo from Albion recently because I'm allergic to money. I don't even practice sidesword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, now you have a terrific opportunity! :v:

Edit: Goodness, the Marozzo's a gorgeous sword.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my sword is still not ready

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I love Mike at Albion, but god drat it takes forever sometimes. I've waited anywhere from 6 months to a year for a sword from them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:hist101: :swoon:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Me this Sunday:

No, sir. We can't move to a different strip.
No, we already switched reels. I don't think a third reel will change things.
If it wasn't working on a previous strip and isn't work here it, then it must be an issue with your fencer's equipment.
Why are you yelling at me?

Epee, easiest weapon to ref!

Bonus, I had a fencer stand motionless for the first minute and a half in a pool bout against a notoriously passive opponent. How notoriously passive? I reffed a DE of his that finished 1-0, in priority.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
There's nothing wrong with epee

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

There's nothing wrong with epee
I mean, that 1-0 bout would have taken a little under 3 minutes total (possibly less if they'd kept that 15s w/ no blade contact rule) and its an outlier even by epee standards.

So yeah, there's nothing wrong with epee! t:saddowns:t

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Of course not. Everything's fine with epee. Now sabre, that needs some tweaking. I think a longer lockout time and shorter en garde distance will solve everything. :geno:

The 1-0 bout would've taken around 4 minutes. Remember, the O/T minute due to non-combativity is fenced for it's entirety.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Why do we bother fencing when everything's so terribly broken?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Card them. Card them all. :black101:

Every sport has its problems, but sticking a sword in someone is never going to get old for me. it's basically 18th century laser tag.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's the same issue with all martial arts. Once you sportify them, people will find the best way of playing to the rules and that often involves playing not to lose, rather than trying to win.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seriously though, aren't there some relatively catch-all clauses in the rules about refusal to fence your opponent and general unsportsmanlike behaviour? Or are they too strictly interpreted to apply in this sort of case?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Seriously though, aren't there some relatively catch-all clauses in the rules about refusal to fence your opponent and general unsportsmanlike behaviour? Or are they too strictly interpreted to apply in this sort of case?
Too strictly interpreted, and the penalty is seen as too harsh. Though if they do end up black-carding both people, that's about the same level, so... But because of how epee works, there may actually be a fair bit of fencing in those low scoring periods. Both fencers aiming for shallow flicks to the wrist/light touches and moving for positioning, but never feeling quite good enough to move in on. A low epee score is essentially a bout between two people who completely have absorbed the "don't attack unless you are 100% sure it is going to be your point only" idea and are acting on it, not two fencers staring at each other over the tips of their blades. I honestly don't see those kinds of matches often enough to be an issue, because epee is becoming faster and more aggressive. Usually. Old fencers who don't move at all just get beaten, because I'm pretty sure the match BirdofPlay was referencing was either a vet event or well below a ROC level. Changing the rules because new fencers are bad is silly, just like saying "well, 10yo foilist b got 5 off-targets in a row, have a delay of match penalty" would be silly.

The IOC doesn't bitch about soccer matches spending 90 minutes to end 1-0, and its because there are chances in there. The same thing applies to epee.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
There are ways to make the sport more "spectator friendly" but I don't know why anyone cares about that for a sport most people only see once every 4 years. It isn't like fencing is on ESPN every Sunday.

IMHO fewer rules are the best way to encorage a wide variety of strategies. That is what makes fencing fun for the fencers. If they don't like bouts that last the full time, they can just decrease the amount of time in the bout. 2 minutes seems reasonable to me.

Also, overtime in pool bouts is dumb. They can just record both fencers as losing if time runs out at a tie.

Edit: "rests" in DEs are also dumb, outside of Veterans events. Fencers are supposed to be athletes, and if a guy can't stay on his feet for more than 10 minutes they need to lose weight or something. Mid-bout coaching is usually a joke anyway.

ScratchAndSniff fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 13, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

For refusing to fence your opponent, there's t.85.1. The case study for this is how Iranian fencers often refuse to fence Israelis.

USAF Rulebook, t.85.1 posted:

No fencer (individual or team) may take part in an official competition if he refuses to fence against any other fencer whatsoever (individual or team) correctly entered in the event. Should this rule be broken, the penalties specified for offenses of the 4th group will be applied

There's colluding with your opponent (group 4 black), or not making an honest effort to fence (group 3 red). Doesn't count, though, since they are logically fencing.

USAF Rulebook, t.87.1 posted:

The competitors must fence faithfully and strictly according to the rules laid down in these Rules. All breaches of these rules will incur the penalties laid down hereinafter

USAF Rulebook, t.88 posted:

Competitors must fence to their utmost ability in a sportsmanlike manner until the end of the competition in order to obtain the best possible classification, without giving away touches or seeking to be favored by being given touches by anyone

There's "anti-sporting behavior" which is vaguely defined, but with the context it's put in, again it doesn't really apply

USAF Rulebook, t.87.2 posted:

All bouts must preserve the character of a courteous and frank encounter. All irregular actions (flèche attack which finishes with a collision jostling the opponent, disorderly fencing, irregular movements on the strip, touches achieved with violence, blows struck with the guard, touches made during or after a fall) or anti-sporting behaviorare strictly forbidden (cf. t.114–t.120). Should such an offense occur, any touch scored by the fencer at fault is annulled

USAF Rulebook, t.87.3 posted:

a)Before the beginning of each bout, the two fencers must perform a fencer’s salute to their opponent, to the Referee and to the spectators. Equally, when the final touch has been scored, the bout has not ended until the two fencers have saluted each other, the Referee and the spectators: to this end, they must remain still while the Referee is making his decision; when he has given his decision, they must return to their on guard line, perform a fencer’s salute and shake hands with their opponent. If either or both of the two fencers refuse to comply with these rules, the Referee will penalize him/them as specific for offenses of the 4th group (cf. t.114, t.119, t.120).

b) During or after a bout, even if the fencer has already left the strip, any act against the spirit of sportsmanship such as violently or dangerously throwing one’s mask (or any other piece of equipment) will be penalized as specified in Article t.119 (cf.t.82.1, 2and 3)

Now what's interesting to ponder is what Yakamenko did recently with intentionally dropping his weapon to stop a strong attack. Depending on who you ask, it's either delaying the bout or disorderly fencing (group 1 yellow, what he got), dishonest fencing (group 3 red, fnet favorite's), or maybe anti-sporting behavior (the rare group 3 yellow, but again, the rule's context).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Today we fight with messers – may God remember us. :v:

Got a long-rear end messer seminar today. Pretty excited.

Edit: Trip report: Parried with my pointer finger. Survived. Really want a messer now. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 15, 2015

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Siivola posted:

Parried with my pointer finger.

We're gonna need a bigger nagel.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I did the exact same thing today, only with a longsword (thankfully, with much less speed). I think what I need is more like a basket hilt. :v:

Anyhow, messer is super neat. Joeli Takala was our guest instructor for the day, and he's done a bunch of work on Johannes Lecküchner's messer treatises. The weapon's tiny and lightning fast, which makes everything terribly weird when you come from a longsword background. The messer is quick enough that you can easily redirect an attack around a traditional parry, so it's safer to keep your own blade close to your body with the point in line, and simply take cover behind it with proper footwork. In an ideal world you can bind against the opponent and just wind your point in their face, but it all happens literally within arm's reach (and sometimes you just can't stab a dude, because of laws or some poo poo) so wrestling with the messer is a big part of Lecküchner's book.

Incidentally, turns out a heavy-ish sidesword is a terrible messer simulator. There's a sword and buckler seminar in two weeks, I'm hoping my new dearie handles that a bit better. (We'll be studying the Walpurgis manuscript, it won't.)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 17, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey chaps, are you interested in the Italian longsword? Guy Windsor's crowdfunding his new book and my goony face is in it! The book's a follow-up on his previous Medieval Longsword, and he's giving out ebook copies of that to all backers.

On a booky note, Christian Tobler also published a revised edition of his Fighting with the German Longsword if you're more into that sort of stuff. You deviants.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Also, there's a translation of a Dutch manual with single rapier, rapier and dagger, rapier and buckler, halberd, and pike that's available now!

I have no idea how it is, but it's surely the only Dutch manual that I know of, so I'm grabbing it because I'm that kind of nerd.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Craig of F.net has an early report out about the rule changes No black cards for non-combativity, but the sabre changes will be attempted. Also, Vet events are still free, while everyone else has to pay more.

The distance change is, by far, the stupidest of the bunch. Sabreurs will now start with their back front on the line, instead of front foot. Where will the front foot go, who knows? :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Epee is saved! The spectre of non-combativity can loom over us for a few more years at least!

Sabreurs get some weirdass test changes to start lines though, plus 170ms lockouts up from 120s.

Efb, and with more info to boot. I'm calling it a simul and awarding no points because I screamed louder while posting. ::colbert:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

As a foilist that sometimes moonlights as a sabreur, hooray for more time to parry!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Craig of F.net has an early report out about the rule changes No black cards for non-combativity, but the sabre changes will be attempted. Also, Vet events are still free, while everyone else has to pay more.

The distance change is, by far, the stupidest of the bunch. Sabreurs will now start with their back front on the line, instead of front foot. Where will the front foot go, who knows? :shrug:

I would think about as far away from the guard line as the back foot used to be. That'll put the fencers at around restart distance from each other (always funny trying to restart sabreurs from some place other than the guard lines), although I wonder if two fencers could be tall enough to actually be closer than restart distance.

I'm sure exploits are there to find, but they'd have to grapple with t.17.11 saying "The fencers must come on guard correctly and remain completely still until the command “Fence” is given by the Referee" (my emphasis). What "come on guard correctly" means is left to the user's imagination, but you'd have to convince the ref of it.

FIE Congress posted:

The second security device on the mask should now be compulsory as of Jan. 1 2016

I assume this refers to the bib strap they made LP put on contour fit masks?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dzurlord posted:

Also, there's a translation of a Dutch manual with single rapier, rapier and dagger, rapier and buckler, halberd, and pike that's available now!

I have no idea how it is, but it's surely the only Dutch manual that I know of, so I'm grabbing it because I'm that kind of nerd.
nah, this dude's dutch

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

As a foilist that sometimes moonlights as a sabreur, hooray for more time to parry!

I would think about as far away from the guard line as the back foot used to be. That'll put the fencers at around restart distance from each other (always funny trying to restart sabreurs from some place other than the guard lines), although I wonder if two fencers could be tall enough to actually be closer than restart distance.

I'm sure exploits are there to find, but they'd have to grapple with t.17.11 saying "The fencers must come on guard correctly and remain completely still until the command “Fence” is given by the Referee" (my emphasis). What "come on guard correctly" means is left to the user's imagination, but you'd have to convince the ref of it.

I assume this refers to the bib strap they made LP put on contour fit masks?

I will be interested in how the timing change will effect things. More time to reposte would be nice, but is it worth losing counters and remises?

This may require actual stipulations on what "en garde" is beyond the "no point in line". Interpretations will likely trickle down from the World Cups and Grand Prix, so we'll get to look forward to 2 years of settling if this thing goes official.

The LP bib strap is the only thing I think this could possibly be referencing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Foil is 250ms, right? I'm starting to wonder how much difference 50 actually makes, but I don't have a sense for saber timing other than "well that would have worked in foil". What would be locked out by 120 that wouldn't by 170? Is there a sense that maybe counters and remises have become too powerful, so needed to be nerfed a little?

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

D'oh, fair point.

That said, I'll be interested to see how the use of rapier in this manual compares to the other general styles in use at the time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

Foil is 250ms, right? I'm starting to wonder how much difference 50 actually makes, but I don't have a sense for saber timing other than "well that would have worked in foil". What would be locked out by 120 that wouldn't by 170? Is there a sense that maybe counters and remises have become too powerful, so needed to be nerfed a little?
Oh yeah, the difference is bigger than it seems - watch some high level sabre and keep an eye out for all the cheeky counterattacks that happen. I'm also terrible at sabre but the Korean counter cut works for me more often than I feel it should.

Also I'm trying to build an arduino scoring box right now, I'm going to have to redo the timing settings...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 26, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My sabre blade finally broke :rip: I'm kind of surprised at the variance in price considering how simple they are compared to foil/epee (and no shenanigans like the sr71 or flickmaster). Are there any of should beeline for/avoid like the plague?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Crazy Achmed posted:

My sabre blade finally broke :rip: I'm kind of surprised at the variance in price considering how simple they are compared to foil/epee (and no shenanigans like the sr71 or flickmaster). Are there any of should beeline for/avoid like the plague?

You should get this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

You should get this.

That was not fair linking that site!!!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

You should get this.

That's, uhh, not tournament legal. It won't pass any of the gauges. It lacks a loop at the end. Lastly, the curve of the blade is too much and goes with the cutting edge, not against.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

BirdOfPlay posted:

That's, uhh, not tournament legal.

It's a joke dude. crazy achmed does olympic fencing and would probably hurt himself picking that up lol

quote:

Lastly, the curve of the blade is too much and goes with the cutting edge, not against.

what does this even mean

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That was not fair linking that site!!!

;)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
rip ImplicitAssembler's wallet

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

My impression was to just buy cheap blades and treat them as expendable, but I'm just a foil fencer so I don't know what I'm talking about

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Once I get my man-cave, I *will* start a sword collection and are happy to start with replicas.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

what does this even mean
Competitive sabre blades curve forwards instead of backwards. Y'know, as sabres do. :psyduck:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ha, someone brought a cavalry sabre to training a few weeks back. Heavy as gently caress for my delicate little foilist hands, but after I was shown how to actually hold it (thumb wrapped around the grip rather than straight up) and it made a bit more sense. Hell, if I ever find a nice antiquey one for not too much money I might buy it to put on the wall... or in the kitchen next to the knife block to see people's reactions.

As luck would have it, my favourite foil blade is giving out, too. It's a maraging BF from 2009 and it'll be sad to see it finally die :( This is going to be an expensive holiday season for me.

HEY GAL posted:

yeah rip

Also, can anyone who does japanese swordy stuff explain to me what's going on in the demo done before the women's foil finals at Torino recently? Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9hTVYXooA (samurai stuff starts around 9 minutes)
They seem to stare intensely at each other, do a single carefully executed cut or guard, then spend a great deal of time sheathing their weapons again. I'm kinda curious as to what was actually happening here, is it just people demonstrating one move each while looking cool, or are they doing something more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, can anyone who does japanese swordy stuff explain to me what's going on in the demo done before the women's foil finals at Torino recently? Video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9hTVYXooA (samurai stuff starts around 9 minutes)
They seem to stare intensely at each other, do a single carefully executed cut or guard, then spend a great deal of time sheathing their weapons again. I'm kinda curious as to what was actually happening here, is it just people demonstrating one move each while looking cool, or are they doing something more specific?

I think they are doing some ZNKR iaido, a 12-kata set and really meant to be done solo. Those are full kata that they do. Not 100% sure though, that last thing with two opponents is a bit weird.