Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wulfhere went over to the Danes in fear. I'd forgotten to answer that question but etalian got it.

Lord Tywin posted:

For settling disputes most were settled in the local Thing with Weregild, Hokmgång wasn't the normal way of settling disputes. The power of the Jarls mostly derived from them being nobles with land, it's true that the farmers were freer in Scandinavia than in most of Europe but it wasn't really a meritocratic society where the strongest get to rule. Going Viking was mostly seasonal and usually happened in the summer when some local landowners would get together some ships and gather recruits among the free men before going raiding during the summer and then coming to harvest, there were quite few Vikings who were professional warriors. Most of them were also armed with leather and spears,it was mostly Jarls, Kings and their retinues that were armed in chainmail and with swords.

Yeah I'd forgotten about the Thing, though I suppose I was under the impression that wasn't all that prevalent in places where they were raiding or taking land like in England. Seems like it was more of a free-for-all in England amongst the Danes, where any number or Jarls could come over with their own army and do their own thing, and could take plunder and chain mail--or at least what was given them by their Jarls after they took the first pick of the spoils.

I knew the Danes had slaves but thought otherwise men were more or less free but under the jurisdiction of their Jarl or king.

Good looking out, I was wrong about the meritocratic society, and at least thought that on some level, Jarls ruled as much on their ability to fight and raid as on the land they owned and their bloodlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Father Beocca was pretty badass for a change, especially lobbing the touchdown pass to Uthred during the battle scene

Overall

Like:
-Rapid awesome plot advancement with something big happening in each episode
-Cast is really good with standouts IMO being Alfred and Ubba
-Character is a rear end but pretty realistic since he's still young and inexperienced in the first season. He really doesn't have a brilliant plan for getting back his lands and title
-Similar to Vikings despite the grim apocalyptic setting still manages to sneak in some great bits of black humor and lighter moments
-Really cool how they contrasted the opposing cultures, for example Uppa depending on his sorcerer to provide support for his decisions while
Alfred found depending on the sorcerer to be laughable

Disliked
-Rushed feeling for the season due to being only 8 episodes as long, some relationships such as Iseult feel unbelievable as a result
-Some of the villains like Otto the Younger weren't interesting
-not enough humping
-Sort of abrupt end, almost feels like they were unsure on it getting renewed for a second season

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Finale definitely felt rushed and the CGI was a bit corny at times but I liked it. Aethelcard's redemption was really well done - in the end he just couldn't bring himself to do it and I like that they didn't do a cop out with him seeing the army and then being cowed into not doing it. It was a conscious choice on his behalf and that makes all the difference.

I also loved how they handled Guthrum being lulled into inaction by his religious views. Very unexpected and although probably not the most historical, it was a great story choice. The reveal of Iseult's head was really dramatic despite being telegraphed pretty heavily. All in all a really solid finale to a very good season of TV.

Well, Guthrum really did get baptized and convert to Christianity, it was part of the terms of the peace treaty. And, though I'm not an expert on Vikings at all, I do believe Christianity took root among some Danish kings and earls over the years.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Uhtred just loving sucks (writing/acting/facial hair) all around.

Also doing a somersault over a shield with no support, killing 4 guys as he turns his back to like 20 armed mans while they stare him catching a spear mid-air that he then uses to murder the tropey cannibal viking captain and somehow has time to do a mic drop on his dying body . All the while the best character on the show dies in the lamest way possible off-screen.

When is Vikings/Black Sails coming back.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Well at the very least he's got the worst costume design of any character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Also doing a somersault over a shield with no support, killing 4 guys as he turns his back to like 20 armed mans while they stare him catching a spear mid-air that he then uses to murder the tropey cannibal viking captain and somehow has time to do a mic drop on his dying body . All the while the best character on the show dies in the lamest way possible off-screen.

When is Vikings/Black Sails coming back.

Uhtred is pretty crazy since the Viking culture looks like more fun compared to all the praying and bowing down in the saxon culture.

Having a tug of war over hot coals beats going to church

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Ubba's look of complete confusion when the story of St. Sebastian (?) is explained to him was side achingly funny.

Despite rushing things I think they did a great job. Also to their credit, killing off developed characters adds actual consequences to decisions and actions. Very few shows do this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yudo posted:

Ubba's look of complete confusion when the story of St. Sebastian (?) is explained to him was side achingly funny.

loved the scene, it was a awesome bit of black humor.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
"Were the arrows enough or should we get the club?" :black101:

Really would have liked a few more episodes, but they did good with what had. Solid battle scenes and character development through out. Most of the time it felt like were showing not telling, anyway.

Have a feeling this might work a little better as a binge-watch with some (inevitable) extra-scenes thrown in.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Guys I'm sad I won't get to see a new TLK episode tomorrow :(

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Wouldn't be surprised if there was a marathon or an encore at some point. They put a lot into the series so they'll probably want to get a little more mileage out of it.

IIRC even Copper got that much.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Randomly decided to give this a try after not knowing anything about it and glad I did.

The Vikings similarities are obvious but the only big knock on this show comparatively is that Arseling's actor doesn't bring the same appeal as Travis Fimmel does. I haven't seen Fimmel in anything else so he could be a terrible actor but he certainly owns the role of Ragnar. Arseling just constantly reminds me of Orlando Bloom, sorta takes me out of the show for a minute.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haven't watched Vikings, but from reading about it the central character is basically Danish Hercules?

By contrast Uthred is a young impetuous dickwad in the Saxon stories, at least at first. He's about as politically savvy as a bucket full of fish heads, and I think the actor does a fine job portraying that. I was concerned he was way too pretty at first too, but he grows on you.

Fingers crossed they pick it up for a new season, I can't find any word either way yet.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Uthred's character might be faithful to the books, and that's all well and good, but Ragnar is a lot more fun to watch. He has charisma in spades, a quality that Uthred lacks completely. I enjoyed The Last Kingdom, but prefer Vikings so far pretty much just for that reason.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Haven't watched Vikings, but from reading about it the central character is basically Danish Hercules?

I don't think so, Vikings Ragnar isn't portrayed as mythological or supernatural at all, the only character who even kinda is is Ragnar's brother Rollo who does some questionable feats of strength (but still not outright supernatural). Ragnar is just a flawed guy with great political thinking (exact opposite of Arseling basically).

I'm trying not to compare the two shows despite being similar, I'm enjoying them both equally, that was just the one main thought I had comparatively between them. If you like Last Kingdom you should definitely check out Vikings though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're taking that Hercules thing too literally I think.

I didn't mean Lothbrok was a literal superhero. I meant he's basically a figure from legend, a bit like King Arthur or Odysseus. Uthred meanwhile is really just a conduit used to tell the story of the Saxons and the Danes in Britain.

Now I come to think of it, maybe Arthur or Odysseus would've been a better analogue...

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah I took that completely literally. Still check out Vikings though.

Just got to the Ohhhhh Lord, send me a titless angel episode. God drat. This is amazing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Uthred meanwhile is really just a conduit used to tell the story of the Saxons and the Danes in Britain.

Basically this. He is the main protagonist, but his purpose is to tell that story from a first person perspective, and Cornwell improves him and makes him grow throughout the books in a believable way so that it's plausible he survives and witnesses all these things. He's a fictional character inserted into, and made a large part of, the story of the West Saxons and the birth of England. That Cornwell was able to write a prominent fictional character into such a huge part of history where everyone reading knows he never truly existed but still suspends their disbelief is good on him for sure. Uhtred gave Cornwell a way to tell it from first-person with a blank canvas instead of within the confines of a real historical character where he'd have had to write him or her in a certain way and have him or her do certain things in order to keep it from becoming an alternate-history fictional tale. If he'd written it from the perspective of, say, Alfred, it wouldn't have been nearly as awesome.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 7, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It seemed kind of weird that Uthred picked up that one guy introduce this episode as just this side of incompetent for his posse along with warrior nun. I can see why she'd leave Wessex for somewhere else, but left behind squire seemed to be doing it for no real reason.

tooterfish posted:

You're taking that Hercules thing too literally I think.

I didn't mean Lothbrok was a literal superhero. I meant he's basically a figure from legend, a bit like King Arthur or Odysseus. Uthred meanwhile is really just a conduit used to tell the story of the Saxons and the Danes in Britain.

Now I come to think of it, maybe Arthur or Odysseus would've been a better analogue...

Given the role of boats, especially the crew of Ragnar's first boat, as well as the more calculating nature of Ragnar and the importance of his wife, Viking Odysseus is a much better description.

He just wants to get back to Ithicasome good farm land.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 8, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tooterfish posted:

By contrast Uthred is a young impetuous dickwad in the Saxon stories, at least at first. He's about as politically savvy as a bucket full of fish heads, and I think the actor does a fine job portraying that. I was concerned he was way too pretty at first too, but he grows on you.

Fingers crossed they pick it up for a new season, I can't find any word either way yet.

Watch Vikings, it rocks.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Botnit posted:

I don't think so, Vikings Ragnar isn't portrayed as mythological or supernatural at all, the only character who even kinda is is Ragnar's brother Rollo who does some questionable feats of strength (but still not outright supernatural). Ragnar is just a flawed guy with great political thinking (exact opposite of Arseling basically).

I'm trying not to compare the two shows despite being similar, I'm enjoying them both equally, that was just the one main thought I had comparatively between them. If you like Last Kingdom you should definitely check out Vikings though.

Do we watch the same Vikings? Ragnar occasionally sees visions of Odin (like right at the start of the very first episode) and Rollo is basically unkillable and the most you can do is give him a sweet new scar while he berserkers armies to death.

On vague point, I really like The Last Kingdom and will enjoy watching more of it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

rejutka posted:

Do we watch the same Vikings? Ragnar occasionally sees visions of Odin (like right at the start of the very first episode) and Rollo is basically unkillable and the most you can do is give him a sweet new scar while he berserkers armies to death.

On vague point, I really like The Last Kingdom and will enjoy watching more of it.

Well to be fair, Ragnar himself doesn't seem to have any magical poo poo going on. But Rollo? poo poo. Dudes gets trampled by horses and is good next season

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Well to be fair, Ragnar himself doesn't seem to have any magical poo poo going on. But Rollo? poo poo. Dudes gets trampled by horses and is good next season

He also wins over a cute french bae with his six pack abs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

He also wins over a cute french bae with his six pack abs.

Eh, she'd have been cuter without the constant scowling and upturned nose and acting like she's all behind the scenes pulling strings like Ragnar does.

Not loving having to wait til 2016 for the next season of Vikings, but I'm assuming it's just because they are taking their time to make it as awesome as it can be.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
/\ Plus they're doing 10 extra episodes. :yaycloud:

Just hope they don't break the season up into parts spaced out over the course of a year or whatever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

/\ Plus they're doing 10 extra episodes. :yaycloud:

Just hope they don't break the season up into parts spaced out over the course of a year or whatever.

That's what I'm hoping too. There are shows on regular networks that I like (few, but I like some of them) like Suits and some others, and it is maddening how the break up the season into two or three parts and have like two or three finales. It makes it incredibly hard to follow, and by the time the next part premieres, you're already into the new seasons of your other favorite shows that premiered during the break. TWD does this too, but whatever, my wife likes it and I don't really care about it much--I just watch it with her because it's something to watch and it means that I'm not getting to watch one of my shows. I'm thinking this is because they are competing for air time and also with other popular shows on other big networks, but it's just annoying how some networks break up a single season to the point I can't remember if something that happened was last season or this season.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fortunately, TWD is incredibly stupid and you don't actually need to remember what was happening last semi-season.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Fortunately, TWD is incredibly stupid and you don't actually need to remember what was happening last semi-season.

Yeah it's full of idiot characters. I was talking more in general though, like how so many shows (especially on NBC) like to do that dumb semi-season bullshit. Half of the reason I think is stated above, and the other part of their reasoning, I imagine, is that they are constantly coming up with new bullshit cookie-cutter police procedural shows or reskins of older shows or reboots or whatever, and they have to make room for them even though they are doomed to fail if they aren't reality TV (fuuuuuck) or one of the current ratings powerhouses. If I see another police procedural, US remake of non-US show, or lovely reboot of a previously good show, I'll lose my mind. TWD is the least of my worries save the fact it's gone on for way too long and I wonder (worry about, even,) how much longer the TWD fans will actually make us endure more of Rick Grimes and his stupid lovely friends somehow managing to avoid getting their brains eaten during another episode of them a) walking around the Georgia rural wasteland and/or b) holing up in a prison or walled-up town. Wash, rinse, repeat for, what, 7 seasons now? gently caress.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The .5 season makes it easier to just skip a lot of stuff and waiting till it's out in its entirety though.

"Enjoy the new season, don't forget to catch the last four episodes in 8 months" kills the suspense every time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Eh, she'd have been cuter without the constant scowling and upturned nose and acting like she's all behind the scenes pulling strings like Ragnar does.

Not loving having to wait til 2016 for the next season of Vikings, but I'm assuming it's just because they are taking their time to make it as awesome as it can be.

Does VIkings even have a air date for 2016?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
February 2016 seems to be the firmest date so far.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm curious, how many episodes of this are out so far? Seems like this might be a good show from what I read in the OP and I'm tempted to watch it. But I can't have another show making me wait every week for an episode, so I want to wait 'til the first season is done.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Been done for a few weeks, so watch away. It's a short season as well, only 8 episodes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

VDay posted:

Been done for a few weeks, so watch away. It's a short season as well, only 8 episodes.

Thanks. Any idea if its been renewed for a second season?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I finally got around to watching season 1 of this show. It was pretty drat good and I am glad I did not pass it up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dalael posted:

Thanks. Any idea if its been renewed for a second season?

Good news:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/129963-the-last-kingdom-season-2-is-officially-on-what-should-we-expect

The show did get renewed for a second season, with production starting in 2016.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Leofric: Ok Uhtred you just killed the son of Ragnar Lothbrok (yes THAT Ragnar), go tell Alfred right away and get the glory you deserve before someone else takes all the credit
Uhtred: Nah no-one would do something scummy like that, gonna stop off somewhere completely different and see my Christian wife and babby
Leofric: Uhtred no
Uhtred: UHTRED YES

Beocca: You jackass, you inadvertently threatened the most powerful dude in the land but he's not gonna kill you, you just have to crawl on your knees and act like a tit. You don't even have to believe it, just put on a show
Uhtred: gently caress your god!
Beocca: Uhtred no
Uhtred: UHTRED YES

But Alfred's great, man. I don't mean any pun, the guy playing him is just really good in the role. You can see the frustration mounting as this wannabe-Dane goes back and forth between being alarmingly useful and astonishingly foolish, and he keeps extending as much of an olive branch as his position and culture will allow him, and it keeps getting thrown back in his face.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I really, really enjoyed the show but I'm with the guys that thing that the last part was way too 'Hollywood' for the series. I hear they are gonna air a new season with 10 new chapters. That is good, Not Getting Canned is All.

aaaaaeeeeeaeaeaeaeaeaeeeeeeeeeoooooo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phy posted:

But Alfred's great, man. I don't mean any pun, the guy playing him is just really good in the role. You can see the frustration mounting as this wannabe-Dane goes back and forth between being alarmingly useful and astonishingly foolish, and he keeps extending as much of an olive branch as his position and culture will allow him, and it keeps getting thrown back in his face.

On the flip side Alfred is quite the dick in the show, like how he sets Uthred up with Mildred because he knew she was badly in debt and Uthred would be too dumb to check her financial state.

Also a reminder that the whole season 1 is up on Netflix, so stream away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Just finished the first season on Netflix. Huge fan of the books and Cornwell in general.

I haven't read the first book in nigh on a decade, but the only complaints of consistency I have are the lack of oar dancing and not a single utterance of "fate is inexorable."

Stoked that Netflix is coproducing season 2 next year!

• Locked thread