Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Mr.Bob posted:

I had a tree limb fall on some power lines in my front yard a while back, pretty much everything that had a DC circut in it, that was not connected to an surge protector was fried. Lots of stuff was just toast, but damnit I needed that microwave. So, I opened it up and wired it up to a 120v covered toggle switch and it works like a charm. Timers be damned.

I am the OSHA

It still automatically shuts off when you open the door, though, right....? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

lol sociopath found.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can understand an automatic squirrel puree trap, but what'd those poor birds do :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

I can understand an automatic squirrel puree trap, but what'd those poor birds do :ohdear:

They’re eating our crops!

There’s no kill like overkill.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I think they call this 'kan re nao' in the china.jpg thread.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

It is pretty much what it sounds like, I somehow ended up with a birdhouse painted by some random kid and i had a food processor and i put the two together with some electrical bits and a motion detector. It would turn on with a five second delay if i stuck anything in the bird house hole.

Edit for I like birds. And would not hurt one.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

TheRagamuffin posted:

It still automatically shuts off when you open the door, though, right....? :ohdear:

Yep!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ok so its just a gimmick housing for the food processor and it doesnt sit outside or anything

because the alternative is positively psychopathic

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Enourmo posted:

ok so its just a gimmick housing for the food processor and it doesnt sit outside or anything

because the alternative is positively psychopathic

Yeah, if I left it outside and plugged in to mulch helpless birds I would imagine that would be a pretty sick mind. I just make stupid stuff while drunk sometimes. I like birds.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
loving bird helpers

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Oh boy do I have something to sell you.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But the resulting bloodslurry could be used as a sacrifice and fertilizer to grow heartier crops to feed even more birds. Replace the metal blades with obsidian shards and go full Aztec

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But you put a 5 second timer in there to make sure the bird would make itself comfortable instead of being immediately scared away

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

But you put a 5 second timer in there to make sure the bird would make itself comfortable instead of being immediately scared away

It was an off the shelf part and that is what it came with.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHE56NtRciY

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Sure he's wearing glasses, but those rinky little frames are not proper eye protection for what he's doing

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

G-III posted:

Sure he's wearing glasses, but those rinky little frames are not proper eye protection for what he's doing

glasses don't really provide much protection unless they're built for it anyways. Need shatterproof lenses, side shields (either integrated or something you can stick on), etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He needs whole-body protection to save him from the chips of knife that are inevitably going to snap off of that thing. Also the instant he loses the tip of a blade, the whole thing will be unbalanced and start shaking violently out of his hands.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I stayed on a farm in rural Japan and they had bamboo cutters - like a weedeater or string cutter but with a 40-50 cm circular blade. Of course none of them had any kind of guard or shield.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:monocle:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

That's the roof of the old AP building on Fleet Street - there's actually flat bits either side of the roof he's standing on, so he wouldn't actually fall that far if he'd lost his balance.

However he'd also likely have been standing there in the middle of the night while high explosives and incendiaries rained down around him, with only two buckets of sand to help extinguish any of the latter that dropped nearby. Also that building (along with just about every other building you can see there apart from St. Paul's) was blown up, burned down, or both, in one night, probably not that long after this photo was taken.

All in all his lack of fall-arrest gear is the least of his worries.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the roof of the old AP building on Fleet Street - there's actually flat bits either side of the roof he's standing on, so he wouldn't actually fall that far if he'd lost his balance.

However he'd also likely have been standing there in the middle of the night while high explosives and incendiaries rained down around him, with only two buckets of sand to help extinguish any of the latter that dropped nearby. Also that building (along with just about every other building you can see there apart from St. Paul's) was blown up, burned down, or both, in one night, probably not that long after this photo was taken.

All in all his lack of fall-arrest gear is the least of his worries.

Slap a bandaid on it and walk it off

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can melt glass in a microwave?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've only ever successfully exploded pyrex.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I once tried to use a Bernzomatic to melt the neck of a wine bottle, without taking thermodynamics into account. I only heated it from one side, instead of turning it to heat it evenly. The neck went splodey and left little shard of glass all over the kitchen. My wife just looked at me and shook her head. It was so not OSHA.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sure, with a kiln.
Though if you want to be less OSHA about it: If you pre-heat the glass to where a small bit starts melting, the microwave can do the rest. (Please don't try this)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pyrex isn't actually made fro pyrex anymore which is probably why.

Pyrex (the glass) is made from borosilicate glass and is loving awesome. Then Cornex sold the brand to someone and they kept the name but started making Pryex (the brand) out of plain old soda-lime glass. Of course they kept charging the same and pocketed the difference.

It's OSHA because so many people have trusted their glassware to be both shatter resistant and resistant to thermal shock and gotten a hell of a surprise, and injured, when their lovely glassware exploded on them.

Fun fact:

You can tell if you have the real stuff or got ripped off by dipping your glassware in vegetable oil. Borosilicate glass has the same refractive index as the oil and will become invisible.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

On the topic of glass: https://www.instagram.com/p/_QBce5H3tu/

Makes my butthole clench every time he raises it up behind him.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
From the description I thought that was going to be the video of the glass jar that shatters inside a guy's rear end in a top hat

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

GotLag posted:

I stayed on a farm in rural Japan and they had bamboo cutters - like a weedeater or string cutter but with a 40-50 cm circular blade. Of course none of them had any kind of guard or shield.
Those exist in the US too. I hadn't heard of them until I went through my trimmer's manual.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Obviously not a documentary, but I could see something like this happening

http://i.imgur.com/vWkPc1m.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Obviously not a documentary, but I could see something like this happening

http://i.imgur.com/vWkPc1m.gifv

Still counts as OSHA, since this was in a time before many common special effects were invented so the best way to show Buster Keaton pretending to save a train from derailing was to actually put a train at risk of derailing and hope that he was good at his job.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's also this.

E: Imagine if the wheel had slipped on the track.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

note how much drat smaller that window is than in every single homage made since

you can see his arm flinch where it brushed him on the way down

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Still counts as OSHA, since this was in a time before many common special effects were invented so the best way to show Buster Keaton pretending to save a train from derailing was to actually put a train at risk of derailing and hope that he was good at his job.

That tie isn’t real.

e: While we’re on the subject of dangerous film stunts, I recall a piece of trivia about an older movie where live gunfire was used, with the gun‐wielding actors instructed to aim wide of the lead actor (or stunt double; I forget which), who was standing at a window.

Said actor/stuntman had some sense of self‐preservation, so on the first take, he disobeyed the script and hit the deck—which was fortunate, for bullet holes in the back wall suggested he’d be very dead if he’s stayed standing.

Does anyone know which film this is from? It may in fact be an urban legend, but considering Noah’s Ark (1928) drowned three extras with a six‐hundred‐thousand‐gallon deluge, I can believe it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2015

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Platystemon posted:

They’re eating our crops!

There’s no kill like overkill.

Almost the biggest backfire in history. Bloody Mao.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

That tie isn’t real.

e: While we’re on the subject of dangerous film stunts, I recall a piece of trivia about an older movie where live gunfire was used, with the gun‐wielding actors instructed to aim wide of the lead actor (or stunt double; I forget which), who was standing at a window.

Said actor/stuntman had some sense of self‐preservation, so on the first take, he disobeyed the script and hit the deck—which was fortunate, for bullet holes in the back wall suggested he’d be very dead if he’s stayed standing.

Does anyone know which film this is from? It may in fact be an urban legend, but considering Noah’s Ark (1928) drowned three extras with a six‐hundred‐thousand‐gallon deluge, I can believe it.

The gunfire was James Cagney for Public Enemy. Squibs took decades to be invented and perfected, so for many movies in that period any bullet hits were actually bullet hits. Even after that, sometimes they would do water hits by having someone fire live rounds into a lake or river. And yes, Noah's Ark killed and mutilated a good number of people. It directly led to new safety regulations for stuntwork.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Captain Cool posted:

Those exist in the US too. I hadn't heard of them until I went through my trimmer's manual.

Haha, these are such fun to use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

chitoryu12 posted:

The gunfire was James Cagney for Public Enemy. Squibs took decades to be invented and perfected, so for many movies in that period any bullet hits were actually bullet hits. Even after that, sometimes they would do water hits by having someone fire live rounds into a lake or river. And yes, Noah's Ark killed and mutilated a good number of people. It directly led to new safety regulations for stuntwork.

Another example of real weaponry used in films is Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na_PrOYqKNY&t=806s

• Locked thread