Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tekopo posted:

I tried the fighter squadron mode the other day and the hero ships just seem to spoil it somewhat, they should really cut down the health of those things to a sensible level.

I know that in the Falcon if you use the shield and ram Slave I you'll survive and kill them, wonder if that works with the other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spanish Manlove posted:

I know that in the Falcon if you use the shield and ram Slave I you'll survive and kill them, wonder if that works with the other ships.

You know full well that it does.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MorsAnima posted:

Sensitivity that high really needs a mouse, that's too much for a controller.

On another note - Does anyone have pictures/knowledge of where hero tokens spawn at all? Googling is returning gently caress all, and after 20+ hours of WA I'd really like to play the hero more, think I've played Luke a grand total of once and that's it. I can never find those tokens.

Obvious/smart rear end solution: You could always play the hero modes to play as the heroes more. I usually just die stupidly as a hero is WA but Heroes vs Villains is a pretty cool mode.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
If you attempt to fight the hero ships in Fighter Squadron, you're loving up and wasting time when you could be earning points for your team.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The best hero selection in WA is always Leia/Palp unless you are explicitly targeting an uplink that is indoors.

The support heroes are just so good, and it cannot be overstated how valuable their ability to spawn honor guards at uplinks is to maintaining control. But they have to push a location at a reasonable pace and put the team over their personal K/D instead of just charging in like Rambo. Naturally this makes them the least popular choices.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zoran posted:

If you attempt to fight the hero ships in Fighter Squadron, you're loving up and wasting time when you could be earning points for your team.

I make it a point to go after other players more than the bots and to shoot down as many A-Wings as I can.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Tekopo posted:

I tried the fighter squadron mode the other day and the hero ships just seem to spoil it somewhat, they should really cut down the health of those things to a sensible level.

People bang on about how the A-Wing is OP and whatnot but whenever I get one, I am immediately lit up by green TIE lasers from 3 different sources in Walker Assault. I might also just be bad.

More to your quote, the Hero ships in Fighter Squadron absolutely need a whack with the nerf bat. Their presence is so ridiculous that if I play to win, I generally ignore the Falcon or Slave I and keep gunning down players that are trying their damnedest to shoot them down -- it's near pointless and accomplishes nothing but wasted precious time so the enemy team can catch up.

As with all shooters, mileage may vary.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

For any PS4 players, what button layout/sensitivity do you guys use? I'm having a lot of issues: I try to keep the sensitivity low but it kind of fucks me over when they come too close. Even with low sensitivity, using for example an AT-AT or AT-ST seems to be really jerky as well. Any tips?

I have mine set to 45. I started at the default of 20 and worked my way up over the week that I've owned it. And yes, the walkers for whatever reason double the sensitivity when you zoom in, for reasons I can't explain.

What I do for that is use the zoom to find targets but then let go of L2 when I start shooting if I feel like it's hard to maintain my accuracy due to the sensitivity increase.

For infantry gunfight sensitivity it's always gong to be a tradeoff between turning speed and accuracy. But another thing I think people miss out on is that you shouldn't be exclusively aiming with the right stick only. Think of it as to be used to "throw" your aim and then use your soldier movements to fine tune aim.

Even at default sensitivity I was overshooting the targets until I adapted to the above. Now I jacked the sensitivity up as high as I feel comfortable so I can react to close range threats quicker. Watch some streamers on the PS4 app and pay attention to the good ones and the economy of movements they use to manipulate the crosshairs.

Tldr: increase sensitivity slowly, right stick is to get you cursor close to the bad guy, left stick to fine tune the aim.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Palpatine gets 6??

I love playing as him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

spiralbrain posted:

Palpatine gets 6??

I love playing as him.

Both supports are the last favorite on their faction, which is both humorous and not surprising at all. It's also pretty funny that it goes
Boba --> Everything Rebel --> Not Boba Imperials

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I love playing the Emperor. He slaughters everything up close, has excellent mobility, and his constant evil cackling and comments are amazing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey there, started playing this on PS4. Learnt a few things, such as how to die a lot, and holy poo poo do not go into the Sullust tunnels on Supremacy, it's like loving trench warfare down there. PSN is ClockwiseMan if you want to teach me how not to suck poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I make it a point to go after other players more than the bots and to shoot down as many A-Wings as I can.

That's a waste of time if you want to win. Imperials need to kill every transport that spawns and get as many AI kills as they possibly can and try to ignore A-Wings unless it's a slam dunk kill.

It's not glamorous but it's the only hope Imperials have to win on Fighter Squadron. Slave 1 especially needs to whore AI kills. I've won many an Imperial match just killing as much poo poo as I can while some idiot Falcon pilot chases me around the whole match.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Both supports are the last favorite on their faction, which is both humorous and not surprising at all. It's also pretty funny that it goes
Boba --> Everything Rebel --> Not Boba Imperials

Its amazing how long I can keep Palpatine alive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Preechr posted:

I love playing the Emperor. He slaughters everything up close, has excellent mobility, and his constant evil cackling and comments are amazing.

Yeah, honestly it feels like the Emprah is straight up superior to Vader in pretty much every aspect. The chain lightning is a ridiculous room-clearer, he's got better mobility, he can also block incoming shots, and he has the whole support thing going, too. The only thing that Vader might be better at is killing other heroes, but that opportunity comes up pretty rarely.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yup. I've survived a head-on collision a few times in a rebel ship when my shields were up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Hey there, started playing this on PS4. Learnt a few things, such as how to die a lot, and holy poo poo do not go into the Sullust tunnels on Supremacy, it's like loving trench warfare down there. PSN is ClockwiseMan if you want to teach me how not to suck poo poo.

Its trench warfare just about anywhere you get into enclosed spaces.

The CA-87 is ideal in these close quarters situations with DL-44 a close runner up.

edit: also Ill add you :D

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

The Deleter posted:

Then a hero spawns and wipes them all out for 2000 points and claims the objective they were defending. Bunching up like that never ends well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ginette Reno posted:

That's a waste of time if you want to win. Imperials need to kill every transport that spawns and get as many AI kills as they possibly can and try to ignore A-Wings unless it's a slam dunk kill.

It's not glamorous but it's the only hope Imperials have to win on Fighter Squadron. Slave 1 especially needs to whore AI kills. I've won many an Imperial match just killing as much poo poo as I can while some idiot Falcon pilot chases me around the whole match.

Winning's for losers.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

spiralbrain posted:

The CA-87 is ideal in these close quarters situations with DL-44 a close runner up.

I like guns that have high risk but high reward shooting (like, kills-in-1-or-2-hits) -- is the CA-87 for me?

Kind of lovely how little stopping power anything short of the DL-44 or even the T21 has.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, honestly it feels like the Emprah is straight up superior to Vader in pretty much every aspect. The chain lightning is a ridiculous room-clearer, he's got better mobility, he can also block incoming shots, and he has the whole support thing going, too. The only thing that Vader might be better at is killing other heroes, but that opportunity comes up pretty rarely.

Wait, he can block shots, like the Vader rightclick?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

teh_Broseph posted:

Wait, he can block shots, like the Vader rightclick?

Yeah, should be the same command as whatever you use to saberblock on PS4/Xbone/PC. He just puts up this little electric field in front of him instead of using a saber to do it. I don't think it deflects any shots though, just absorbs them.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfpTbyxTTaQ

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NT Plus posted:

I like guns that have high risk but high reward shooting (like, kills-in-1-or-2-hits) -- is the CA-87 for me?

Kind of lovely how little stopping power anything short of the DL-44 or even the T21 has.

The sec whatever 5 shot blaster is amazing. You can one shot if you land the full burst, and it's very easy to two shot with it. The only downside with it is it sucks at range but if you like to get mid/close range it's absolutely lethal, and if you absolutely must have a long range option you can always grab the pulse rifle for your kit.

I play mostly WA/Turning Point and I usually kit out with the 5 shot blaster, rocket pack, shield, bounty hunter, and grenades. Pretty good setup for close range. I've recently unlocked the bowcaster and plan to try everyone's favorite spam trio of it + pack + BH.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 14, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

The sec whatever 5 shot blaster is amazing. You can one shot if you land the full burst, and it's very easy to two shot with it. The only downside with it is it sucks at range but if you like to get mid/close range it's absolutely lethal, and if you absolutely must have a long range option you can always grab the pulse rifle for your kit.

I play mostly WA/Turning Point and I usually kit out with the 5 shot blaster, rocket pack, shield, bounty hunter, and grenades. Pretty good setup for close range. I've recently unlocked the bowcaster and plan to try everyone's favorite spam trio of it + pack + BH.

Coming from, like, 9 months straight of playing Destiny, I can confirm the 5-shot blaster pistol is waaay OP (and amazing because of it). I've gotten so many kills from mid-range with it that I would immediately feel dirty about afterward.

Longer range I'll just rock the E-11. So this game basically has two guns as far as I'm concerned.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, should be the same command as whatever you use to saberblock on PS4/Xbone/PC. He just puts up this little electric field in front of him instead of using a saber to do it. I don't think it deflects any shots though, just absorbs them.

Oh. And I just hit rank 50. Whoops.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm a sadist so I've been trying to unlock the Base Command cards, some of them are bullshit, like I finally got Han Solo but his whole thing is getting the Falcon back. Unlocking the Falcon requires playing as the Falcon 20 times, which means even if you played 40 straight matches(as you switch sides) you'd have to be lucky enough to get the Falcon every single time to unlock it. I've done probably 60 and have gotten it twice because once someone gets it they rarely die before the match is over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

I'm a sadist so I've been trying to unlock the Base Command cards, some of them are bullshit, like I finally got Han Solo but his whole thing is getting the Falcon back. Unlocking the Falcon requires playing as the Falcon 20 times, which means even if you played 40 straight matches(as you switch sides) you'd have to be lucky enough to get the Falcon every single time to unlock it. I've done probably 60 and have gotten it twice because once someone gets it they rarely die before the match is over.

I get it a lot. It's actually really easy to get you just have to grab an A-Wing and fly low around the map off the start of the match until you see it spawn. Sometimes you'll get a few teammates doing that too trying to grab it but I've had many times where I seem to be the only one looking for it at the start and it's not terribly hard to stay alive long enough to find it. The only challenge is when you have a few others on your team trying the same thing but like I said that's been rare for me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

NT Plus posted:

then thats your gun (I feel the same way)

The T-21b is my go to on places like Jakku where Im usually hanging out on the edges. For Endor I use the CA-87 or DL-44 as I seem to find myself going around trees and smacking into someone often.

edit: Its like a little mini shotgun! This guy even takes down a AT-ST with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8c9Ugugk0o

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 15, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Had someone completely lose it in chat at me when I rammed his AT-ST with my shielded A-Wing, both destroying it and surviving in the process. I won't disagree that that poo poo needs to go away like yesterday, but damnit if it wasn't super funny.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Siets posted:

Had someone completely lose it in chat at me when I rammed his AT-ST with my shielded A-Wing, both destroying it and surviving in the process. I won't disagree that that poo poo needs to go away like yesterday, but damnit if it wasn't super funny.

I've had teammates lose their poo poo with me because I initiated a squad shield right over their blaster cannon. Its now like my favorite thing to do in the game.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

spiralbrain posted:

then thats your gun (I feel the same way)

The T-21b is my go to on places like Jakku where Im usually hanging out on the edges. For Endor I use the CA-87 or DL-44 as I seem to find myself going around trees and smacking into someone often.

edit: Its like a little mini shotgun! This guy even takes down a AT-ST with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8c9Ugugk0o

The t-21b feels like a shotgun sniper, it's that strong. I absolutely despise dying to it from half way across a field.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

when you think about it, Walker Assault is the most balanced mode ever made. Everyone ends up with a 50% win rate

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Guys.

I just saw a unicorn I just won as Imperials on Endor

And drat was it an rear end whooping

Feels good man

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

hhhat posted:

Guys.

I just saw a unicorn I just won as Imperials on Endor

And drat was it an rear end whooping

Feels good man

drat, the first, and only time I've seen Imps win, I was on Rebs. :smith:

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Chomp8645 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtD_Q3PRtg

Do they even test this poo poo before they release it?

I have had this poo poo happen multiple times in a row in a single game. Only as Imperials, only on Jakku. It is infuriating.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
It's pretty apparent that :dice: are currently paying precisely zero attention to Fighter Squadron. Jakku's Imp spawns are a joke, Imp ships are hosed compared to the A-wing's tiny nippy hitbox, ridiculous range and shield ability, and the Imp hero can die in one shot to the Rebel hero with no counter besides desperately running away.

It's like poetry, it rhymes. And it's been rhyming since launch, so they evidently think that nobody plays FS or cares about it even though it's one of the better modes and would probably be one of the easiest to rebalance, at least in relative terms.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We do need some news on the first big patch

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Moartoast posted:

and the Imp hero can die in one shot to the Rebel hero with no counter besides desperately running away.

On the other hand, sometimes I'll be in the Falcon and the fucker flying Slave I will do nothing but follow me the entire match and there really is no revenge more satisfying than flipping that shield on and whipping around right into him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moartoast posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes. And it's been rhyming since launch, so they evidently think that nobody plays FS or cares about it even though it's one of the better modes and would probably be one of the easiest to rebalance, at least in relative terms.

And now I have to watch the Plinkett reviews again. :sigh:

• Locked thread