Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP posted:

Why's Karl saying he's not Karl? That's just weird. I mean I know he did it on reddit too, but that might not have been him, though it turned it was.
It is really strange. He may as well claim that his Twitter account doesn't belong to him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

hell yes guys, THE MITTANI BOOK is relaunching its kickstarter in March

for merely 10k you can have your own chapter written in his bad crowdsourced fanfiction

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1318670671/fountain-war-book/posts/1434078

I have to say, your contributions to the EVE thread here have been even more fascinating than the ones you make here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

I have to say, your contributions to the EVE thread here have been even more fascinating than the ones you make here.

thats because right now Star Citizen is deader-er than usual

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Maltag posted:

quote:

They will never - ever - finish this game. It's not that they won't; it's that they can't. Anyone who looks at the scope of the game promised, and thinks that 2.0 is the light at the end of the tunnel, is a loving idiot. I've been doing this for over 30 years and have built bigger games, I've seen this all before.
how can it be impossible to make a game of this scope if youve built bigger ones. something doesnt add up here. any comment?

It won't make sense unless you read it again. Slowly.

Hint: My games are bigger than Star Citizen; which isn't a game and has no redeeming or unique qualities other high visual fidelity and being entirely in fps.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It is time for the dozen smart posts of the day.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I was gifted a ship from a friend of mine. Am I now a star citizen? Or do I personally need to spend money?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I was gifted a ship from a friend of mine. Am I now a star citizen? Or do I personally need to spend money?

You are now an accessory to money laundering.

And dreams.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dreams happen now

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

thats because right now Star Citizen is deader-er than usual

Its been kinda fun, if cringe worthy watching you in the eve thread. Never change friend.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Enowe is a fun read most of the time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wulfling posted:

Its been kinda fun, if cringe worthy watching you in the eve thread. Never change friend.

thank you friend, ill take cringe worthy as a possibly good thing

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Fatkraken posted:

Ben, if you are reading this, I am genuinely concerned for your health. I think you're an arsehole or at best a deluded idiot who acts like an arsehole to avoid admitting they've been duped, but I don't want you to suffer and die an early undignified death. I hope for your sake that the rumours are true you are on a [properly supervised, sensible, sustainable, calorie resticted] diet, and that the livestream was a cheat day/unusual situation because it was a special occasion

But if not, PLEASE consider your health, and your wife's health (since whatever her current health status she is also most certainly large enough to be at increased risk for a million health issues too). Even if you're OK at the moment in terms of Diabetes, sleep apnea, joint erosion, heart disease, blood pressure and all the other ways large and small obesity makes your life harder, you are a ticking time bomb. 5, 10, 20 years down the line you'll look back and with you'd done something then (now) before it all went to poo poo.

Read this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649877

Make an alias account, and JOIN this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692083&pagenumber=1 It's friendly,supportive and entirely non judgemental. It's helped me and hundreds of other goons shed anything from a few pounds to well over half their original body weight (in fact, a goon just hit their "lost more than I currently weigh" milestone today, there's a new post about it).

If any other CIG people are reading this and are concerned for Ben and Mrs Ben, please try and help them. I know it's a touchy subject and there's no easy/polite way to bring it up, but at least be supportive (in word and deed) or any genuine efforts they make to help themselves, and try to discourage any enablers and people who tell them they're doing fine when they're really not.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

hell yes guys, THE MITTANI BOOK is relaunching its kickstarter in March

for merely 10k you can have your own chapter written in his bad crowdsourced fanfiction

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1318670671/fountain-war-book/posts/1434078

Are you implying that the book will be no good? I'm genuinely curious since the epic battles and territory struggles in EVE fascinate me. I should also point out that I've never played EVE and most of my knowledge about this subject is from Illectro's video and what I've seen creep into the mainstream news.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305287/a-moral-dilemma-unique-to-star-citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

quote:

Loiosh posted:
What it boiled down to was: I don't think SC is impossible (but I know you guys do, and respect that opinion).
"Possible" = Highly-derivative sci-fi game that offers multiplayer space pew-pew with FPS components.

"Impossible" = Star Citizen as sold.

I think there's more consensus than you think...

Meanwhile, most of that poo poo will never see the light of day. Ever.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
People weren't kidding. This is a griefer's paradise.

When I was playing earlier in the day there we're very few people on. Now that it's the evening there are people everywhere.

You can fly to any comm array and find someone doing the eva mission and blow up their ship while they're inside.

I don't know if it was a bug or a feature but someone the constellation I was ramming at port olistar got tagged permanently on my hud so I could chase him around the solar system and attack him wherever he went even if I died and had to get a new ship.

I can see why the autists are having aneurysms.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

thank you friend, ill take cringe worthy as a possibly good thing

You're a good person and I appreciate your contributions.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MilesK posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if Chris will let you skip the cutscenes in his movie?

I was hanging out with my most nerd-addicted friend the other day and discovered, while playing the witcher 3, that he will skip any and every word of dialog, even in a room full of people yelling at him to stop. I now fear SQ42 part1's 10 hours of cut scenes might not go over well with your average "gamer". I hope Sandi has a good plan to find more suckers when that poo poo releases.

P Gabz should start a friendly poll of how many people plan to skip the cutscenes on their first time playing SQ42

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

serious norman posted:

do whats happening in the end of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pr12bZT91c

omg the cockpit voice just will not shut up

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dirty Hairy posted:

Are you implying that the book will be no good? I'm genuinely curious since the epic battles and territory struggles in EVE fascinate me.

Books have enough of a healthy chance to be completely awful without the prospect of kickstarter backers playing part.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wulfling posted:

I should stop posting there again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here, as I do yours and many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tooterfish posted:

This is bollocks. He's always been obese sure, and there are medical conditions that can exacerbate that. However, I don't think it's a coincidence that he's literally loving ballooned since he started working in an office that has a policy of offering unlimited free snacks, junk food and sodas to employees, not to mention an army of enabling spergs sending pizzas and cakes at every opportunity.

Seriously, look at pictures of the guy from 2013 and now. Glandular doesn't do that poo poo on its own.

While I'm not into fat shaming or any of that nonsense, I agree. He let himself go and it's all about control. Clearly he can control it since he wasn't this obese at the start of the project. I guess getting a steady - and larger - paycheck means you get to eat as much crap as you want. Therein lies the rub.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

thank you, friend

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6080514/#Comment_6080514

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6081235/#Comment_6081235

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6081353/#Comment_6081353

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wafflz posted:

quote:

Romes128 posted:
I'm still amazed that more places don't report on the disgusting community behind star citizen as well as the "game" itself.
As much as I would like to play a game like what was pitched I would much rather see it fail just to spite the awful community that has sprung up around it.

^this

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6085231/#Comment_6085231

:lol:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Top five good posters in this thread in memes and gifs (this list is subject to change.)

1. Derek Smart

2. A Neurotic Jew

3. MeLKoR

4. Beer4theBeerGod

5. Eonwe

Runner-up:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 15, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

The window is shifting on the coverage a bit:

They're all hedging their bets now because it's quite clear that the game being released as pitched, is no longer a certainty. And for something this big, when it collapses - as I am 100% certain that it will - nobody wants to be on the wrong side of it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My new goal is to spawn a ship, fly to the FPS station, snag an assault rifle, fly back to the main station, board a multi-crew ship with someone else, enjoy the multi-crew experience until they go somewhere else, and then kill them and steal their ship.

See? This is the sort of poo poo that leads me to believe that the entire design (<----- LOL!!) of this game is FUBAR.

Why aren't there weapons at the main station? Why don't you have access to weapons, regardless? Oh wait, that's right. hosed. And no Star Marine.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wtjg3/star_citizen_may_not_be_a_scam_but_it_feels_like/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

While I'm not into fat shaming or any of that nonsense, I agree. He let himself go and it's all about control. Clearly he can control it since he wasn't this obese at the start of the project. I guess getting a steady - and larger - paycheck means you get to eat as much crap as you want. Therein lies the rub.

He probably eats too much because he's unhappy, he's stressed as lying to nerds is fun for a while but then they call you on it, like the Cutlass people did and he doesn't like that at all. Also he's got his wife into this, they've moved twice for this stupid game and both their salaries are linked to it. If his direct boss really is a crazy lady who thinks she can act and fires his friends, I can see how that wouldn't help either.

I wish people wouldn't fat shame his wife though, if I was her and had a basic understanding of physics I'd add mass too, just as a self preservation measure in case he tripped on the way back from the kitchen.

Reddit spergs going to be mad about goons making fun of :lesnick:, but if he's reading. This poo poo ain't worth damaging your health over, sure you'll get blamed if it all goes tits up, but planning to be able to run faster might not be a bad idea. And even if you think Star Citizen going to be the best thing ever, you might want to get healthy to enjoy it.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I already understand that this game won't be everything it's promising to be. But my question to all of you is, will this game be worth playing when it's "done" based on how you've seen the game handled by the devs thus far?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CIG repeatedly announcing delays: not actually factual.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

So, you like to click the baits...do you? posted:

I have to say, the negative press surrounding SC, especially post these recent milestones of development and funding accomplishment, are really infuriating.

The fact that so many of the negative articles have glaring inaccuracies is not even the worst part (I get it...there's a lot to know, and if you don't follow very closely, it's easy to miss the context of developer decisions or even the understanding of basic implementations of features).

"Hey news outlets - some advice", it would be really great, as Star Citizen is already a huge historical undertaking, to get a journalist on your staff (or two even) to get a little more into the meat of this game you are writing about. You will find far less SC "cultists" in your comments section if you didn't publish misinformation. The "rabid" defense by backers of SC in forums seems to me to be proportionate to the misinformation in the article the comments are attached to.

A kick in the teeth is the "concerned for the pledgers/gamers/gaming community as a whole" spin that gets slapped on what is basically a rehashing of CIG press releases. It's so cheap and unessesary. It's uninformed doom/gloom opinion sandwiched between the real bullet points of what hard work has already been done on this project and proof of clear intention to continue to make strides to create something really cool.

What the hell will satisfy the naysayers? We get a few days of celebrating 2.0 before Brian Buzzkill drops by with his awesome Blog of Beware. Thanks. Does it really have to be this drawn out kicking and screaming, of those who have some bizarre digital apocalypse fetish, all the way to the finish line - when the PU gets released sometime in the next 18 months or whenever it is? Is every CIG accomplishment down the road another opportunity to wag your finger and sigh and caution people who just want to see this very cool thing become fully realized?

90% of the drama this game has surrounding it comes from outside the company and the backers. I don't know about you, but that is really disturbing to me. I'd like to know why that is.

Last bit of advice for the bloated blogosphere, the "just jotting' for clicks journalist and the casual "oh so curtious" comment section commenter: It doesn't matter if you can't comprehend why this game has such a devoted following. It just does. And when the game comes out, because it definitely is, you are going to really want to play it too...so shut the hell up and behave until then please.

(Rantrage over, sorry.)

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

I found something really odd about Wesha.

https://archive.is/rJ8nR
https://archive.is/EHhoa

I'm not going to make any claims or statements. I'm just gonna let the furry speak for themselves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I guess getting a steady - and larger - paycheck means you get to eat as much crap as you want. Therein lies the rub.

I imagine it's more of a case of accessibility to the food during work hours.

People react to the presence of guilt in a myriad of ways. Some folks drink, others do drugs, some people even go to church to confess! Some folks though, they try to fight off pangs of guilt by defeating nonexistent pangs of hunger whenever possible, convenient or permissible with whatever is to hand. It soothes the negative thoughts and sensations by replacing it with transient fullness.

If you're not a sociopath, then the weight of the guilt that you must feel when you're part of an operation on the scale of Star Citizen must be a growing monster that rivals the feature creep of said game.

Guilt or no, the responsibilities placed upon this man's shoulders to provide dreams to backers must be getting to him. He's so close to the beating heart of the greatest con in existence and keeping that precious whale blood pumping is no small task. I just hope that his own heart doesn't increase in scope in the process.

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 15, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wuopo/chris_roberts_says_ships_will_be_sold_post/

• Locked thread