Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Ashekaban posted:

On our last break, We pulled a sleeved buyback card.

Of Greg Mckegg

I'd gladly trade for this card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

:siren: I hosed up :siren:

Monday's supplementary break will be at 6 PM PST. I have prior commitments I forgot about until right now. So yeah, 6.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ashekaban posted:

On our last break, We pulled a sleeved buyback card.

Of Greg Mckegg

with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Just got the box with the S1 in it. This is the :siren: 2 hour warning :siren: . 6PM PST. I hope I am not breaking to an empty room :p

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I should be able to be there. (I hope)

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I'll be there unless we end up going out to dinner.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Regardless of the crowd, I will post a list of all the hits from the 2 boxes on the thread within 24 hrs.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm in now, you'll have at least one. Also, Series 1 boxes are already $100 on most retail sites. I did not expect that to happen so quickly.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

darkwolf220 posted:

Regardless of the crowd, I will post a list of all the hits from the 2 boxes on the thread within 24 hrs.

Appreciated for those of us who got forgot. Not that I have huge expectations, but I do expect you to pull 4 McDavids.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

Appreciated for those of us who got forgot. Not that I have huge expectations, but I do expect you to pull 4 McDavids.

No McDavid or Domi, but you did get a Panarin :)

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
I FORGOT THE BREAK TODAY! :(

I'll reply to your PM later Dark when I get home.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Series 1 breakdown:

UD Game Jersey:
Drew Doughty
Nikolas Backstrom (Caps)

UD Canvas:
2x Zemgus Girgensons
2x Corey Crawford
Corey Schnider
Jordan Eberle
Ondrej Pavelec
Claude Giroux

UD Portraits:
Tyler Johnson
Ryan Hartman
Jordan Eberle
Jaromir Jagr
John Tavares
Phil Esposito (Boston)
Jakub Vorchek
Max Pacioretty

Shining Stars:
Henrik Zetterberg
Tyler Seguin
Patrice Bergeron
Steven Stamkos (blue)
Marian Hossa
Henrik Zetterberg (blue)
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin

Young Guns:
Daniel Sprong
Nick Cousins
Artemi Panarin
Antoine Bibeau
Jean-Francois Berube
Malcom Subban
Josh Anderson
Joonas Donskoi
Mattias Janmark
Sergei Plotnikov
Shane Prince
Matt Puempel

I will work to get everything sorted and mailed out this week. It is supposed to storm like crazy here all week, so I may wait for my best opening to get there as it is 9 blocks away, I walk and I don't want the packages to get wet. Thanks again, everyone.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Thank you Darkwolf! I know you're taking a hiatus but you know where to reach me for all things mtg and hockey cards!

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

^^ Will do :) If any one you guys want to take up the mantle and try to keep these going, PM me and I will give you whatever info I can.

Break facts:

Only one team completely whiffed: The New York Rangers. Good thing the Jets came through strong.

Everyone in the break got an auto or jersey card, not including my giveaway cards.

The best late pick was certainly Columbus, who never disappoints with their quantity.

Another quantity hog, Minnesota, was surprisingly quiet. Enjoy your Dany Heatly.

Liam Stewart is really Rod Stewart's son. I thought you guys were loving with me. Surmy won that one by the way.

Greg McKegg is our lord and savior.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

darkwolf220 posted:

Only one team completely whiffed: The New York Rangers.

:argh:

darkwolf220 posted:

Good thing the Jets Winnipeg Pavelecs came through strong.
FTFY

darkwolf220 posted:

Liam Stewart is really Rod Stewart's son. I thought you guys were loving with me. Surmy won that one by the way.

bro I wouldn't lie to you! He played WHL for Spokane so I've seen him play many times. He was a pretty decent WHL player but I would be rather surprised if he ever gets above the ECHL. I'm kinda surprised he got a card.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

gently caress Pavalec, that Petan patch is pretty baller. Sometimes you only need one card to make a break.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

The best late pick was certainly Columbus, who never disappoints with their quantity.

ILU BLEW JACKETS! WIN MORE GAMES PLEASE!

Also, thanks Dark for putting these breaks together. I've really enjoyed them!

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

All cards mailed out today except Krigen's. I'll put your cards in the box (safely) when/if we figure out if we are sending each other food packages :P

Thanks again everyone, let me know when they get there safe :)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Got cards today Dark! Thanks so much for all you've done. It's been awesome.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Got my cards today, I did better than I remembered and that Bruins franchise card is awesome. The Bourque swatch alone would have been nice. Thanks for hosting the last two years or so and hopefully we can all get together to do this again.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Glad everything is starting to trickle in.

Krigen, mailed your cards today, that should be everything.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got my cards! Thanks so much for doing these, and I hope we can do it again.

Also, I really want to get the Giroux card of him shooting a basketball autographed for some reason, hopefully in person.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Store by me has been clearing out Panini Select, pulled a /399 Galchenyuk rookie auto

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Someone had a Winter Classic Yzerman card that I needed. Who was that? They wanted Blues.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I am sad but understanding that Darkwolf is taking a break. That said, where are people going to get not-horribly-expensive breaks in a similar style to what Darkwolf had been doing? I have a small amount of holiday money for myself and I'd really like to get in a break at some point soon.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Darius099 posted:

I am sad but understanding that Darkwolf is taking a break. That said, where are people going to get not-horribly-expensive breaks in a similar style to what Darkwolf had been doing? I have a small amount of holiday money for myself and I'd really like to get in a break at some point soon.

Depends on price point.
CloutsNChara is a pretty big breaker (if you can get over the dudes voice and how quick he moves)
MySTLSportscards is a great dude, and genuinely loves breaking cards. Super friendly community. A bunch of us used to break with him, and i still pop in occasionally. Those are the two i would recommend.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Ashekaban posted:

Depends on price point.
CloutsNChara is a pretty big breaker (if you can get over the dudes voice and how quick he moves)
MySTLSportscards is a great dude, and genuinely loves breaking cards. Super friendly community. A bunch of us used to break with him, and i still pop in occasionally. Those are the two i would recommend.

The former will have everything you want in just about any breaking format but is less personable. The latter is much more personable and a great guy, but usually has a much more limited selection and (what killed it for me) operates almost entirely on a team random system. The teams are randomized and the names are randomized and you get whatever team is next to your name. It is faster and benefits people who don't know much/care about hockey or a particular team, but it is very hard to trade for a team you want.

As far as price point, that is where it will hurt. Breaks usually run between $50 and $100, not unlike mine. The biggest difference is that you get 1 team, not 2. They usually run at 28 spots and the last 2 teams are randomly given away. I understand why they do it like that, they are businesses and have to make money. I was lucky/happy if I came out with +$5 after shipping :haw: but I was not doing it as my livelihood, I just liked opening cards. So yeah, in a way, the cost is 100% the same and also at the same time, double. It just depends on how much you value the second team. Also keep in mind that the odds are out of 28, not 15, so your chance of first overall with them is 1/28 instead of 1/15. And if you buy 2 spots, you have just as good a chance of getting picks 1 and 2 as you are of getting picks 27 and 28. I'm not trying to shy you away from either, I have broken with both and gotten some monster hits out of both (Patrick Roy 1/1 auto from CnC, Brett Hull auto SP from STL) but the risk is there. Also, they (especially CnC) typically have super high end product (Cup, NT etc) if that is your thing. Again, high risk, high reward.

e: If you have 1 team you care about and nothing else, CnC often runs 'team select' breaks, with each team having a different price. So Los Angeles might cost $65 while Arizona is $20 and Edmonton is $135. It is very mathematical based on the number of hits each team has in the product, the quality of those hits and popularity of the team. For as much as I dislike the rigidness of the personalities and breaks, they are a first class operation and it is no surprise that they are the leaders in the industry. I strongly recommend this format, it takes some of the suspense of the drafting of teams out, but that isn't a bad thing for everyone. The worst part about these is that sometimes 3 or 5 teams near the end take forever to sell and you can be waiting around for it to fill for a while.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 15, 2015

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I managed to get 100% of listed cards for my Flynn PC...and today I was able to complete this decent little subset:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

sba posted:

I managed to get 100% of listed cards for my Flynn PC...and today I was able to complete this decent little subset:

That's awesome man. Now you'll need yo keep this up for however long he plays

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Decided to look to see what products came out since our last break and discovered Upper Deck Full Force.

:stare:

Black Diamond is also apparently a one pack/five card box now with real diamonds randomly inserted.

So uh, I guess I'll stick with clearance Panini and picking off singles for awhile.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Not gonna lie, want that Ovie. It's so tacky, it's glorious.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

Decided to look to see what products came out since our last break and discovered Upper Deck Full Force.

:stare:

Black Diamond is also apparently a one pack/five card box now with real diamonds randomly inserted.

So uh, I guess I'll stick with clearance Panini and picking off singles for awhile.

I hate you so much Upper Deck.
So so much.
I guess i should probably move a ton of my cards out before the industry collapses from this garbage

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Who doesn't want a card with PK Subban shouting GOALLLLLL like a Mexican soccer announcer?

Eating the Pudding
Apr 28, 2009

The manufactured patches in black diamond are a treat too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Oh my god who thought those would be a good idea as one of guaranteed hits? That's just bad.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Big mail day this week!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So where's the best place to sell hockey cards now if you live in the US? I quit selling a few years ago when USPS tripled their postage prices to Canada. Does COMC do better with hockey because of combined shipping? (Do they even ship to Canada?)

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Anyone else fooling around with upperdeckepack.com?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What tool should I use for listing cards in bulk? I tried Beckett superseller but it was unusable poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
try COMC?

• Locked thread