Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Fairymon sounds dumb as hell tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, it's a horrible name for a pink creature with crystalline butterfly wings clearly designed after a literal fairy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm just saying it sounds retarded. Like beetlemon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really see how, considering there are plenty of digimon that are just "noun+mon", but to each their own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Some of them are LESS weeaboo, you know. Like... a good number of the Frontier digimon. They specifically changed Fairymon to Kazemon to make it more exotic.

But again, it's consistency.

That's localization. The original name probably had an English word for the same reason, like Tina (Terra) in FFVI.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know that. I'm pointing out the fallacy of saying we want our super elite Japanese spellings so we feel superior or whatever that person is saying.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Coming to "Digimon World -next order-"

First non-fighting game to have Hybrids available as normal evolutions.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 12, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TFRazorsaw posted:

And it should stay that way, because everything related to Frontier should stay buried.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not a fan of everything from Frontier, but I think acting like it doesn't exist or keeping its unique characters from appearing in the broader Digimon meta series to be more than a bit ridiculous.

But it's immaterial, as they're in the game and therefore, that attitude has already lost.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I remember seeing bits and pieces of 01 through Frontier as a kid and they were all entertaining enough to me. :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first time I saw Frontier, I legit didn't know what show it was until about 3/4ths of the episode was done and they spirit digi-volved (I started watching like 6 minutes in).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

is the MC actually turning into the digimon bc that would be weird but cool

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I loved the Frontier designs.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Frontier was okay to good up to Cherubimon's defeat, then it's all downhill from there.

It's like someone decided to double-down on having only a few characters get any relevance after Tamers' more balanced cast.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

I loved the Frontier designs.

Kuroyama posted:

Frontier was okay to good up to Cherubimon's defeat, then it's all downhill from there.

It's like someone decided to double-down on having only a few characters get any relevance after Tamers' more balanced cast.

This plus this. I'm really hoping we get a good range of Frontier Digimon in Next Order because I think the Hybrids were generally pretty great looking. Frankly I think Frontier is actually really strong up until the final arc, and there's a couple of scenes I really did like from the last cour of the show, but man that ending...

It's my personal theory that RhodoKnightmon getting completely destroyed by MirageGaogamon in Savers was secretly an apology for everyone who sat through till the end of Frontier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6JoEBRVjk

From this, we now know Tailmon's final form in tri. The debate of Ofanimon vs. Holydramon is finally decided, as it uses voice clips from tri.

Skip to 12:54 thereabouts to hear it.

It's Holydramon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

From this, we now know Tailmon's final form in tri. The debate of Ofanimon vs. Holydramon is finally decided, as it uses voice clips from tri.

It's Holydramon.

How do I get me one of those Digivices?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's Holydramon.
EDIT:

I'm an idiot I didn't realize you wrote that it used voice clips.

I wonder why they chose that form

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The PSP game also has Hackmon and Gankoomon in it opposite the former's role in Tri.

The Digivice Ver. 15 was released as an anime tie in product, and the new Digivice that THIS release covers uses voice clips recorded for the new animation AND is an update for the previous one. And since it uses Vikemon for Gomamon, which the new poster confirms, it's pretty clear. Its entire existence is based around giving people the ability to have a "complete" digivice based on the anime, so it'd be pretty silly if they went with something else.

This is what they're going with. The PSP game is the aberration.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The PSP game also has Hackmon and Gankoomon in it opposite the former's role in Tri.

The Digivice Ver. 15 was released as an anime tie in product, and the new Digivice that THIS release covers uses voice clips recorded for the new animation AND is an update for the previous one. And since it uses Vikemon for Gomamon, which the new poster confirms, it's pretty clear.

This is what they're going with. The PSP game is the aberration.

I edited my post man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't see that.

I imagine they went with it so Tailmon and Hikari could stand on their own a bit more, and because that form actually appeared in some kind of Adventure animation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't see that.

I imagine they went with it so Tailmon and Hikari could stand on their own a bit more, and because that form actually appeared in some kind of Adventure animation.

Considering WHICH one it showed up in, you'd think they'd rather forget about it.

Then again that entire movie was just a bad fever dream.

So long as she does better than she did in that piece of poo poo, I'm up for it. The visual element of Holydramon flying around Seraphimon was pretty badass for the five seconds it lasted.

Also I realized the ultimate way you can sum up season 2 and my problems with it, that also apply to *BOTH OF THE loving MOVIES*

All of the Chosen across the entire world use the power of their hopes and dreams to

Give Davis another power up so he can save the day.

God drat It Davis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Considering WHICH one it showed up in, you'd think they'd rather forget about it.

Then again that entire movie was just a bad fever dream.

So long as she does better than she did in that piece of poo poo, I'm up for it. The visual element of Holydramon flying around Seraphimon was pretty badass for the five seconds it lasted.

Also I realized the ultimate way you can sum up season 2 and my problems with it, that also apply to *BOTH OF THE loving MOVIES*

All of the Chosen across the entire world use the power of their hopes and dreams to

Give Davis another power up so he can save the day.

God drat It Davis.

At least Willis (or whatever his Japanese name is) got a Golden Digiegg too!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, they made Birdramon look cool as gently caress so it'll be good to see them reuse the effects of her to make Holydramon look cool as gently caress.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As much as I personally dislike Hurricane Touchdown, I've never seen any indication it's unpopular with the Japanese fan base.

Wallace even shows up in a drama CD.

That said, I actually do hope tri. continues the franchise wide running gag of Seraphimon being useless.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

As much as I personally dislike Hurricane Touchdown, I've never seen any indication it's unpopular with the Japanese fan base.

That said, I actually do hope tri. continues the franchise wide running gag of Seraphimon being useless.

I fully expect him and Ophanimon to repeat their debut by floating around and doing absolutely nothing before getting slapped down by a Royal Knight or something. I guess a completely worthess Mega is the price Angemon pays for his performance in Champion and Ultimate forms.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You mean being above average when not fighting an evil digimon? :P

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

You mean being above average when not fighting an evil digimon? :P

Yes, he's saying Angemon peaked early.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just poking fun at the whole "Angemon is the strongest" in those forms when it's people overinflating certain details. He's good, but not that good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just poking fun at the whole "Angemon is the strongest" in those forms when it's people overinflating certain details. He's good, but not that good.

Except season 2 is the only thing that points to him not being 'that good' (which Tri immediately goes against along with Gatomon as it should)

And season 2 also shits the bed on that because it THEN shows that, despite BWG not being a 'real' Digimon and that being the whole justification for why Angemon isn't effective against the Dark Spire Digimon, Magna Angemon was kicking his rear end and acknowledged by BWG as being really really powerful.

And then later on the only other thing he does is job to SkullSatanmon, a Digimon he SHOULDN'T have any trouble with, entirely so Davis can get ANOTHER loving POWER UP.

Because Season 2 is the Davis Show and don't you forget it.

Davis needs a power up? Better nerf all of the other characters and make them ineffectual and pathetic!

Davis doesn't need a power up?

Better nerf all of the other characters and make them ineffectual and pathetic so he does!

Angemon is powerful, the strongest Champion of the original 8. Gatomon is powerful, easily the second strongest.

The same applies to their Ultimate forms. The same should apply to their Mega forms- but the one time we see them they get punked without DOING ANYTHING so Davis (and friend of Davis) can get a power up.

This is pretty consistent especially the Davis poo poo. It's one reason I will not cry if Davis never shows his ugly mug in Tri.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
You guys sure are passionate about how bad adventure 02 is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I never said HolyAngemon wasn't powerful.

But canon is canon. You guys don't get to decide what is and isn't. The one victory HolyAngemon actually has is one he had two Ultimate digimon giving him help on.

And if HolyAngemon losing/having trouble against SkullSatamon is too contrived to you, you should have the same opinion about Angewomon verses LadyDevimon in season 1, who she had loads of trouble against before finally beating her.

The Holy <> Dark thing goes both ways.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

Except season 2 is the only thing that points to him not being 'that good' (which Tri immediately goes against along with Gatomon as it should)

And season 2 also shits the bed on that because it THEN shows that, despite BWG not being a 'real' Digimon and that being the whole justification for why Angemon isn't effective against the Dark Spire Digimon, Magna Angemon was kicking his rear end and acknowledged by BWG as being really really powerful.

And then later on the only other thing he does is job to SkullSatanmon, a Digimon he SHOULDN'T have any trouble with, entirely so Davis can get ANOTHER loving POWER UP.

Because Season 2 is the Davis Show and don't you forget it.

Davis needs a power up? Better nerf all of the other characters and make them ineffectual and pathetic!

Davis doesn't need a power up?

Better nerf all of the other characters and make them ineffectual and pathetic so he does!

Angemon is powerful, the strongest Champion of the original 8. Gatomon is powerful, easily the second strongest.

The same applies to their Ultimate forms. The same should apply to their Mega forms- but the one time we see them they get punked without DOING ANYTHING so Davis (and friend of Davis) can get a power up.

This is pretty consistent especially the Davis poo poo. It's one reason I will not cry if Davis never shows his ugly mug in Tri.

Davis is a bad character with little development beyond adding more and more "traditional" traits for a shonen leader-type (hothead, dumb, exclusive power up, and iconic item goggles), but he's nowhere near as bad as the Frontier crew was about hogging all power-ups. It just seems that way because the writers really wanted to show a "passing of the torch" story, but had no idea how to do it. Instead of working with the fact that they had eight veterans around, they tried to awkwardly remove them as much as possible and adding gimmicky crap so the four new kids were doing things. That worked out well enough for the first arc where those gimmicks were necessary, but after that, much like the rest of the plot, it all fell apart since there was nothing to prevent the team with experience and powers that are much more useful than the current group's around. Especially since two of the current group were left at Champion without two of the older group setting aside their own strongest forms to elevate them (losing two of the most popular and powerful of the old guard for some much weaker forgettable fusions). Jobbing to some mid-level minion and giving Davis/Ken a mostly pointless power-up was an attempt to rectify both. It failed, sure, but I can see what they were trying.

Like I said, at least it wasn't Frontier where everyone had to give up their powers so the red and blue duo could continue to lose in an arc somehow worse than Blackwargreymon's.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like the term "jobbing" is incredibly misused. Because how the heck would we know that it's "jobbing" when we'd never seen SkullSatamon fight in the anime before? What the heck said that this never before seen Digimon, who serves one of the strongest villains on the franchise, can't be more powerful than those characters are?

"Jobbing" only applies when there's something unfair pumping up the character who won despite previous installments saying otherwise. HolyAngemon's own premiere episode shows his appearing isn't an automatic win button, considering he had help defeating Piemon and, in his own, only succeeded in knocking him down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I feel like the term "jobbing" is incredibly misused. Because how the heck would we know that it's "jobbing" when we'd never seen SkullSatamon fight in the anime before? What the heck said that this never before seen Digimon, who serves one of the strongest villains on the franchise, can't be more powerful than those characters are?

"Jobbing" only applies when there's something unfair pumping up the character who won despite previous installments saying otherwise. HolyAngemon's own premiere episode shows his appearing isn't an automatic win button, considering he had help defeating Piemon and, in his own, only succeeded in knocking him down.

You are just the least fun person to talk about Digimon with.

And I write multi paragraph essays about why Season 2 sucks

Also yes, Frontier does all of Season 2's sins much, much, MUCH worse. I've never watched all of Frontier- I joined in at some random point in the middle with the mirror dude and Shadow Seraphimon because I didn't know it had changed channels and thought it got cancelled or something. Then I lost the show for a while until I came in during the NEVER ENDING LOSING FEST that was the last third of the series and I road it out the rest of the way very confused about why our heroes kept losing so definitively.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly don't really see how 02 is any worse about it than Adventure. In Adventure, the core two male characters were the only ones who got the final form and another form on top of that. The only difference is they start combining into one at an earlier level.

And even then, you had Taichi and Yamato's digimon getting more screen time at the Perfect level. An absolutely PERFECT chance to get Lilymon to evolve in the digital world instead goes to MetalGreymon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I liked when the digimon fought each other and then they became bigger digimon and fought more and sometimes they won and sometimes they didn't but that's ok because they did their best and that's what counts. that's just my opinion though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I liked when the digimon fought each other and then they became bigger digimon and fought more and sometimes they won and sometimes they didn't but that's ok because they did their best and that's what counts. that's just my opinion though

I bet you didn't even care that they didn't have their proper name.

loving casual :smug:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TFRazorsaw posted:

Even if Hurricane Touchdown is bad Wallace was great. I'd love to see him pop in to Tri and take another stab at picking up the entire female cast again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

When I watched frontier it felt like a huge call back to tamers cool final evolutions. I assumed once they started beating the other elemental warriors they would start calling back to 02 as well and start fusing multiple spirits. Instead they eventually did that by giving all of the spirits to two people.