Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Not sure until we test, but it's 1100w, compared to the Precision's 800w. The Precision definitely starts struggling when you approach 4-5 gallons.

The Anova One was 1000w

In my experience, most of the problems people have with struggling heaters are because they're using large uncovered containers. Evaporative heat loss is a real bitch. If you're running one of those big 4.75 gallon Cambros uncovered at anything above 175°F, the heat loss out the top is greater than the full capacity of the Precision's heating element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I impulse nabbed an Anova precision cooker on sale and it's getting here soon, but the past few pages of this thread have been kinda worrying. Are the power/moisture problems a serious concern or are they unlikely to come up in the case of casual use?

Also, I've seen some mentions of clipping the bag containing food to the side of the container, but a quick look over the OP doesn't have anything like that at all. Is there a reason for that?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

AnonSpore posted:

I impulse nabbed an Anova precision cooker on sale and it's getting here soon, but the past few pages of this thread have been kinda worrying. Are the power/moisture problems a serious concern or are they unlikely to come up in the case of casual use?

Also, I've seen some mentions of clipping the bag containing food to the side of the container, but a quick look over the OP doesn't have anything like that at all. Is there a reason for that?

I can't speak for that model, but I've had no problem with moisture getting into my original model.

Clipping stuff to the side of the container is kinda a preference thing. It helps in a few ways. If you're using a ziploc instead of a vacuum sealed bag, you can keep the zipped end out of the water that way, which reduces the risk of leaks significantly. Clipping the bag or bracing it in some way (the SVS includes a rack that you can slot things in, as I recall) also helps make sure it doesn't get inside the open slits in the circulator housing, where it could easily get sliced open by the impeller blade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Power and losing moisture are not problems except if you're doing a large (4-5 gallon) or long term (2-3 days) cook

Clips are to A) ensure that ziplock bags don't open up by accident and B) avoid any potential damage to the meat from constant turbulence and being knocked around for days.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

AnonSpore posted:

As a casual user I have had no moisture issues. That said I did cover my pot with Clingfilm and now use a cooler with a hole cut to size so my unit only ever was exposed to minimal steam during cooking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a big (18qt?) cambro that I like, but I think I'm going to try to find something to put in it so I don't have to heat up as much water for smaller cooks.

A brick would work I think: it would leach some heat out of the water, but I think still be a net win in terms of getting the water to temp initially. I guess ideally I want something heavy and hollow so it doesn't absorb much heat but still displaces a fair bit.

Anyone do anything like this? The geometry of the circulator prevents me from just filling it less.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I always just use one of my stock pots. I know it's hardly ideal, but it does the job nicely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I don't have a stock pot that'll work other than one that's about the same size (but without a cutaway lid like the cambro).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Buy a smaller cambro

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I have a big (18qt?) cambro that I like, but I think I'm going to try to find something to put in it so I don't have to heat up as much water for smaller cooks.

A brick would work I think: it would leach some heat out of the water, but I think still be a net win in terms of getting the water to temp initially. I guess ideally I want something heavy and hollow so it doesn't absorb much heat but still displaces a fair bit.

Anyone do anything like this? The geometry of the circulator prevents me from just filling it less.

Just cover the top of the cambro with ping pong balls to keep down on evaporation. I never had a problem with the 4.75 gallon cambro for 72+ hour cook time. Usually I'll add some saran wrap or foil for really long cooks though.

Steve Yun posted:

Buy a smaller cambro

Or this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I've thought about it, but I don't really have space to store two. Hmm.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I've thought about it, but I don't really have space to store two. Hmm.

Buy a smaller cambro that fits inside the larger cambro

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Anecdotally, the only problem I've ever had with my Anova is when I tried to do a three-day cook of some pork ribs, and forgot to put more water in on day two. It just shut itself off overnight when the water level dropped too low, and I had to throw the ribs out. Still started back up afterwards, and works fine to this day.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am very much enjoying the sous vide thing, but the other day I tossed some chicken thighs I'd done into the fridge without giving it the ice bath treatment first. Afterwards I read up on why you have to do that. Are these bags festering nests of botulism now or is it safe to eat them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Probably okay, but sniff test to make sure

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Botulism doesn't smell. Still, they're probably okay.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If the bag is swollen, toss it, if not, you're fine.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Saw this on Amazon: FoodSaver FM2000 Vacuum Sealing System for $60

That a good deal?

VVV Thank you, ordered.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 11, 2015

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Boosh! posted:

Saw this on Amazon: FoodSaver FM2000 Vacuum Sealing System for $60

That a good deal?

Yep, pretty good. I got mine for $80 on Amazon a few months ago.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did a practice turchetta last night before doing it for xmas dinner. Turned out delicious but really ugly.

Anyone have tips on getting the skin off in one piece? I had holes all over it and it was really oddly shaped instead of a nice 'square'. After it was all wrapped up the breast meat was mostly covered though. Also it was really hard to roll consistently/uniformly I feel like I'm missing something. It almost seemed like it was too much breast meat for the amount of skin that I had. I used a a bone-in breast (no legs/wings).

Before/After

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I roll my breast meat up in a cylinder first, THEN roll it with the skin. I find that if I roll them together it falls apart more. As a matter of geometry it also maximizes the coverage you get by the skin since none of the skin is being wasted by being tucked in

Also I can't tell for sure but it looks like it could've used a couple more loops with the twine on the left to hold the shape together.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 12, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That makes sense.

The part on the left had too much meat/not enough skin, I ended up just cutting it off and putting it right in the fridge before serving. There wasn't really anything to tie.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I turchetta'd for thanksgiving.

If I were to do it again I'd change a few things

• Make a fully uniform/flat pounding of the butterflied breasts.
  • Create a single piece using transglutaminase, let bond, then score, season, and roll.
  • Roll the skin on separate, TG optional.

I think perhaps doing this with a fresh from butcher turkey breast or just a whole bird may result in better skin integrity. My supermarket frozen breast was pretty torn up as well.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 13, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My Kroger breasts were pretty torn up but the zacky farms ones were fine

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Does anyone have a good link to a step by step process of sous viddling a whole Maine lobster? Or even just tails? Do I get all the meat out of the shell, toss them in a bag with some butter and let it rip? Or should I just buy a few lobster tails? Either way, temp? Time? Thomas Keller recommends 119F, Kenji says 135F and neither one specifies if you cook them in the shells or not or if you should parboil and shock first or not. Everyone else has their own method that makes zero sense (170F for 30 minutes lmfao).

I also want to put some melted butter on these babies but have learned that oil + meat + sous vide is bad. I could brush them before serving but that never tastes as good as cooking them in butter.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How long do the Kenji and Keller recipes say to go

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Regarding the Anova and condensation issues, how do those normally manifest? My girlfriend was thrilled about how I love my Precision, so she got the One while it was on sale. But she just tried making some beef short ribs and the One keeps spitting out "System error" within 15-45 minutes every time. She tried a bunch of different things and it sounds like the main common factor is that it errors out as soon as steam starts coming up through her cambro's lid. Compared to that, I was able to do a 24 hour cook on my Precision using nothing but cling film around the circulator.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tell her to exchange it, that sounds drastic

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't tried it but this guy has some opinions.

If you really want to go nuts, don't forget this whole thing started with butter as the liquid medium . . .

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

How long do the Kenji and Keller recipes say to go

Sorry, Keller actually says 139F for 15 minutes and then this guy (http://stefangourmet.com/2014/04/16/thomas-keller-got-it-wrong/) says no that's wrong do them at 115F for 15 minutes. Kenji says to do his temp for 20 minutes or so.

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't tried it but this guy has some opinions.

If you really want to go nuts, don't forget this whole thing started with butter as the liquid medium . . .

Not sure what you're implying with your second sentence. Normally I butter poach my tails but have never gotten the real hang of it. For whole lobsters, I parboil, shock, extract meat, roast in oven.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 15, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don't know the answer but I know how you can find the correct answer! Take one tail and cut it into two and cook them each both ways and test to see what you like better

I'm guessing, but they are probably assuming you're not including shells, since crustacean shells will probably poke holes in sous vide bags and you'll have to double bag them.

Edit: yeah every picture of sous vide lobster tails on Google is shell off. But here's another thing to try, maybe hit the shell with a blowtorch to get some superficial browning, then double bag that, cook for however long you're going to try and see how it tastes!

I dunno if lobster shell adds flavor the way shrimp shells do, anyone know the answer to this?

Edit 2: regarding temps, it's also possible that there's no "right" answer, it might be like salmon or beef short ribs where you can cook it to several different temps for different effects, and each one might be pleasing in a different way...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DARPA Dad posted:

Not sure what you're implying with your second sentence. Normally I butter poach my tails but have never gotten the real hang of it. For whole lobsters, I parboil, shock, extract meat, roast in oven.
I'm not sure if you mean traditional butter poaching? When you said oil + meat + sous vide was bad, I thought you meant as you said above, putting a bit of butter in the bag, and actual sous vide (under vacuum). I was referring to another Keller method (sorry, confusing) where the entire bucket is full of butter and there is no bag (so not actually sous vide although it uses the same circulator). If that's what you meant you didn't like, sorry for telling you about the same thing again.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not sure if you mean traditional butter poaching?

When you said oil + meat + sous vide was bad, I thought you meant as you said above, putting a bit of butter in the bag, and actual sous vide (under vacuum).

I was referring to another Keller method (sorry, confusing) where the entire bucket is full of butter and there is no bag (so not actually sous vide although it uses the same circulator). If that's what you meant you didn't like, sorry for telling you about the same thing again.

I mean traditional butter poaching in a pan is what I usually do.

I did mean that. Would it be bad to put some butter in a bag along with the tails?

Never heard of that one! Sounds like it would take a shitload of butter.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought butter was fine in the bags as long as you're not going for hours, like more than 3-4 or something?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For the lobster tail work your fingers between the meat and shell after using scissors to cut the bottom. The meat comes out in one piece. You can cook the meat in the bag in butter and then put it back in the shell for presentation.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Definitely use butter in the bag. Time and temp for lobster is very much about preferred texture. All of the times are going to be relatively short. It's been a year plus since I messed with lobster, but I thought the Stefan guy was way too low at 115 and think I ended up going more like 130 for 15-20, for a relatively traditional texture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Butter in the bag is generally accepted, but if you don't like it, don't do it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To get the shell off the tail, pour boiling water over it to cover and let it stand 3 mins. Then cut up the underside and peel it out. Pat of butter and some salt (optional garlic powder) in the bag, whoever's time&temp you like.

Reserve shells for stock, obviously.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks guys! That answers how to do tails. I'm assuming whole lobster isn't feasible? Or can I just toss the claw, leg and tail meat all in a bag like I would just the tails? Anything I'd have to do differently?

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got around to email Anova about the my Anova One that won't heat water anymore. After 2-3 email exchanges they emailed me a fedex return label and said that when they can track the fedex label they'll send off a new one. Pretty great support.

Now I have two of them. So I guess I need another cambro :homebrew:

DARPA Dad posted:

Thanks guys! That answers how to do tails. I'm assuming whole lobster isn't feasible? Or can I just toss the claw, leg and tail meat all in a bag?

You probably can. I'd use separate bags though, or at least make sure it's not touching in the bag. Also I don't know how to get raw lobster meat of of the claws. I think they could almost be bagged in butter.