Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I've noticed that in all the YouTube videos of modifying their car to have a really loud horn, it's always a middle-aged/older loner guy … nobody to even start and stop the camera or film them driving by. It seems like a 'tell'.

(Cars should have two horns: one to alert and one to punish.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Australian reactions compilation. I love these even more than all the Blyat from the Russian cams. "Jesus wept, you stupid bastard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFoQokmpvo

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Australian reactions compilation. I love these even more than all the Blyat from the Russian cams. "Jesus wept, you stupid bastard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFoQokmpvo

Yeah that was good.

Also as an aside, my daughter and I have watched so many of the russian cam videos together that we both use "Blyat" on a regular basis now. Then we chuckle like it's an inside joke. Good times.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you guys like Australians swearing at bad driving I can look into just making a live stream from my dash cam. I also sing terribly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not a dashcam, but a roadside camera is close enough right?

Cyclist decides he's had enough of just ignoring stop signs, wants to go bigger. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWfUKqEGiU

Internets say he lived but I have no hard sources on that so maybe :nms:.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wolrah posted:

Not a dashcam, but a roadside camera is close enough right?

Cyclist decides he's had enough of just ignoring stop signs, wants to go bigger. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWfUKqEGiU

Internets say he lived but I have no hard sources on that so maybe :nms:.

Looks like he more ran into the train than the train ran into him, so it quite possible
Really only his wheel hit the train, not him.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm upgrading my dashcam to get better numberplate captures :toot:

Here's a moron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QujFYk2cxo

And just in case near death experiences at the hands of slack jawed logging truck drivers isn't cutting it for you as dash cam footage feel free to skip this one. If you do watch it note just what part of the road the truck is on at the apex of a (mostly) blind corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBT12vIY24

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Assuming he checked over his shoulder, what's wrong with the blue ute going wide to make a U-turn in a narrow road? It's the only way to make that turn.

Edit: Big truck driver needs to slow down so he can drive better tho.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Godholio posted:

Assuming he checked over his shoulder, what's wrong with the blue ute going wide to make a U-turn in a narrow road? It's the only way to make that turn.

Edit: Big truck driver needs to slow down so he can drive better tho.
It's illegal to do a U-Turn at a traffic light (unless there is a notice to the contrary) in NSW and going wide put him in the through traffic lane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The first part makes all the difference (everywhere I've been in the US, it's the opposite), but the second part...eh (provided there was no traffic and that he looked).

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

He didn't. No one looks, they just swing wide and gently caress it if anyone happens to be in that lane already.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I've never been anywhere in the US where it's legal to make a u-turn at a light unless posted.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

baram. posted:

I've never been anywhere in the US where it's legal to make a u-turn at a light unless posted.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/turns

Namely,

DMV posted:

Legal U-Turns

A U-turn is turning your vehicle around in the street to go back the way you came. To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a legal U-turn:
  • Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.
  • In a residential district:
      If there are no vehicles approaching you within 200 feet.
      Whenever a traffic sign, light, or signal protects you from approaching vehicles.
  • At an intersection on a green light or green arrow, unless a "No Uturn" sign is posted.
  • On a divided highway, only if an opening is provided in the center divider.

Illegal U-Turns

Never make a U-turn:
  • At or on a railroad crossing.
  • On a divided highway by crossing a dividing section, curb, strip of land, or two sets of double yellow lines.
  • Where you cannot see clearly 200 feet in each direction because of a curve, hill, rain, fog, or other reason.
  • Where a "No U-Turn" sign is posted.
  • When other vehicles may hit you.
  • On a one-way street.
  • In front of a fire station. Never use a fire station driveway to turn your vehicle around.
  • In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business districts. Turn only at an intersection, unless a sign prohibits it, or where openings are provided for turns.

So basically anywhere it makes sense, unless posted otherwise.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 15, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Pretty sure that is legal in most states. When it was legalized in Wisconsin it was said we were one of the last to do so.

Obvious exception being intersections where a sign specifically prohibits it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
U-turns are still illegal at any controlled intersection in D.C. So anywhere in the middle of a road as long as there's no double-yellow is where everyone prefers to make u-turns, preferably with lots of traffic around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Raluek posted:

So basically anywhere it makes sense, unless posted otherwise.
Pretty much the same thing in Ohio. Explicitly allowed at light-controlled intersections in any situation a left turn would be allowed unless posted otherwise and only specifically prohibited otherwise in areas where a curve or hill restricts visibility to under 500 feet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

melon cat posted:

I'm considering getting this one for my wife's car. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

Anyone have any recommendations for this type of cam?

M Genius DVR-HD500D that I got for $100 off Massdrop does this and it seems fine. Front and rear are simultaneously recorded; you can view either on the cam, or do a picture-in-picture. I'm having trouble with audio with mine, but I'm 99% sure the problem is with my car and not the camera - it records audio fine when my car isn't running, so it's very likely alternator noise in my ground that's causing the issue.

For a cheapo dashcam it seems like decent quality of recording.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

At or on a railroad crossing.
On a divided highway by crossing a dividing section, curb, strip of land, or two sets of double yellow lines.
Where you cannot see clearly 200 feet in each direction because of a curve, hill, rain, fog, or other reason.
Where a "No U-Turn" sign is posted.
When other vehicles may hit you.
On a one-way street.
In front of a fire station. Never use a fire station driveway to turn your vehicle around.
In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business districts. Turn only at an intersection, unless a sign prohibits it, or where openings are provided for turns.
Fails on both of these then anyway. It is quite an odd intersection with the road to the left (straight through) being a tight left hand turn onto a bridge over a river. Now admittedly it was on a right turn arrow so the traffic in that direction was stopped. It was however at one end of the main shopping street.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here in AZ, it's actually legal to make a U on red at many intersections - the kicker is you need to be able to do so without entering the actual intersection itself. Crosswalks are okay, as long as they're not otherwise occupied. They only count the actual area where different directions of traffic use the same pavement as the intersection.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is there a camera I can mount on my bike helmet that does not look like a loving Christmas tree ornament? The less conspicuous the better.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nitrox posted:

Is there a camera I can mount on my bike helmet that does not look like a loving Christmas tree ornament? The less conspicuous the better.

A mobius might work, they're pretty small and people are starting to use them more for action cam type stuff (a lot of airsoft guys use them as gun cams). That said, it's really not designed for hard use so treat it accordingly. Otherwise maybe a Contour Roam 2/3? They sort of look like a flashlight, work well, are designed as an action cam, and aren't much more than a mobius. They probably also have more standalone battery life than a mobius.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Nitrox posted:

Sony makes an action cam that has the lens and sensor in a little pen-sized shell, with a cable to the rest of the smarts located elsewhere. The recording isn't as great as a GoPro, but if inconspicuous is necessary, it's hard to beat.

Edit: it might not be Sony, or discontinued. It has been a few years since I saw the setup my brother had.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 16, 2015

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

Well, I got some actual use out of the dash cam last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w1ZD2v9_I

Nothing quite like a minor hit and run to round out the night.

Edit: And a crappy picture of the aftermath:

Minor update on this one.

I'm scheduled to drop my car off on Monday so I figured I'd better check in with the adjuster to make sure everything's good to go. Turns out the owner doesn't have insurance, so now I'm out a $250 deductible. Of course there are 2 ways I can get that back: if the insurance company can somehow recoup the fee, or if restitution is tied to the criminal side of things with the city/county.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Always always always pay for uninsured motorist insurance. It's cheap and can be huge. It covers hit & run as well, typically.

Sorry, too late for you in this case of course, but I'm an evangelist for it. Saved my rear end when my golf got totaled in a hit & run.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Always always always pay for uninsured motorist insurance. It's cheap and can be huge. It covers hit & run as well, typically.

Sorry, too late for you in this case of course, but I'm an evangelist for it. Saved my rear end when my golf got totaled in a hit & run.

Oh, I have the coverage. I'm just talking about my $250 deductible for the uninsured/underinsured coverage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I bought a contour roam camera to put on my helmet for track days. It's great if a little rigid in setup. Just quirky things like doesn't charge unless the memory card is inserted and formatted.

The battery life and quality is good. The form factor is great on the side of a helmet too.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I saw this bad driver today while I was out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjoWsVWdlGE

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

smax posted:

Oh, I have the coverage. I'm just talking about my $250 deductible for the uninsured/underinsured coverage.

drat, you even said that. Sorry, I obviously can't read today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I saw this bad driver today while I was out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjoWsVWdlGE

That's frustrating because you know her cell phone was out of reach and she got a call/text that she was looking at while veering. She leans over to pick it up, but even after sitting up she's not looking where she's going.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
The licence plate on the car was one of these,

Fraternal Order of Police, only available to current or retired police officers.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Fraternal Order of Police, only available to current or retired police officers.

Really? Here anyone can get those if they donate to the FOP. Lots of people get them thinking they're a sort of get-out-of-a-ticket plate thing.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Really? Here anyone can get those if they donate to the FOP. Lots of people get them thinking they're a sort of get-out-of-a-ticket plate thing.

It beats having a NWA police and just getting instantly shot?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

According to the KY MVL, yes.

http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/PIServlet?PlateId=6I&PersonalizeIndicator=Y

quote:

Who is eligible: 
Any owner of a non-commercial motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. required to be registered for use on Kentucky highways who is a current member of the National Fraternal Order of Police.

From the FOP website
http://www.fop.net/about/join/

quote:

Any full-time, sworn law enforcement officer with arrest power who is employed by a government entity may become a member of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People still get FOP bumper stickers all over the place, though, since there's no restriction on those or "yeah, my brother-in-law's a cop a few states over" stories.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I can't believe anyone would get those. In CA, no cop I know would ever want anyone to know he's a cop when not in a marked car. Too much poo poo involved.
(Plus confidential plates mean that if you run any cop's plate you'll know he's involved in law enforcement.)

The funny thing is pro-cop stickers get you an extra look because too many drug mules put those stickers on.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Laserface posted:

I bought a contour roam camera to put on my helmet for track days. It's great if a little rigid in setup. Just quirky things like doesn't charge unless the memory card is inserted and formatted. go ahead and turn it off once the sun sets 'cause it's pointless to run it after twilight.

Just chiming in with my regular reminder that Contour's recommended solution for Roam cameras having piss poor low-light recording is to "make sure there's plenty of sunlight when you use our cameras."

Contour Roam 2:

source

Drift Stealth 2:

source

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 17, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b592RWpaXwI

Sucks to be this guy, it's rainy and everything.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

Just chiming in with my regular reminder that Contour's recommended solution for Roam cameras having piss poor low-light recording is to "make sure there's plenty of sunlight when you use our cameras."

Contour Roam 2:

source

Drift Stealth 2:

source

I don't know how many track days you do at night but this is a non issue for me and was well aware of it when I bought it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, this mount does fit the Cobra CDR 840 almost perfectly. However, it is limited in angle adjustment, and will work better if you have a windshield sloped far back and not standing up. You could get some more angle out of it by trimming it, but I think I can make it work fine for my CR-V without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm not doing track days, just regular street riding. Some of it is at night, so looks like Contour is out. Shame, it's rather inconspicuous otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions