Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My grandad was a NATO counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

With the awful-looking Independence Day sequel trailer hot in my mind, I wonder if we'll:
A) Be able to play as some Locust-like alien species, horde & migration mechanics included as we loot and pillage our way across the galaxy, glassing the planets behind us

One of the IGN videos showed that you can outfit your space stations with a mining unit that extracts a planets resources from orbit. Combine that with orbital bombardment and I think you could work something out.

I was wondering something similar to this, just basically if it will be possible to play as a mostly nomadic empire that keeps its POPs in space stations and colony ships, does a lot of trading of crazy anomaly tech and rare minerals. I think it will be mechanically feasible for the most part, but maybe not intentionally built in by the devs (but it seems like something Paradox would do in a DLC).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pimpmust posted:

awful-looking Independence Day sequel trailer

no

i will fight you for jeff goldblum's honor

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
just read the dev diary - I really like how they give so many options with less advanced civs and let you decide whether you want to play it like Mass Effect or whether you want to go full Space Hitler.

There's also a lot of fun potential there if you outlaw that stuff and your governors decide to make land grabs/make their own alien vassals.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mister Adequate posted:

no

I'm sorry but it looked generic and terrible as hell. And I say that as a guy who quotes president Pullman's speech to this day. Goldblum was the only thing that got me to finish the trailer.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

popewiles posted:

I'm sorry but it looked generic and terrible as hell. And I say that as a guy who quotes president Pullman's speech to this day. Goldblum was the only thing that got me to finish the trailer.

I got really excited when it looked like they were teasing that the alien ships had largely survived the crashes, with alien refugee cities springing up around them, but then it went in the inevitable direction of "The first movie again BUT MORESO!" Like, I couldn't even visually parse what I was looking at for half the trailer.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Are we allowed to give primitive species a good tumble?

Asking for a friend.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If my infiltration is going poorly, can I redirect a comet so their feeble primitive governments lose stability?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm basically toxxing my self if there's isn't some sort of comet joke in the game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can a Passive Observation mission gently caress up really badly and have one of the researchers declare himself a god-king? Better yet, can you decide he has a point and support his efforts?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Dev diaries on the primitive civ sounds interesting. I wonder if you could play a faction in a similar way to the Cult of the Endless in Endless Legend, where you personally don't really expand beyond your initial region and the rest of your empire is dominated by the "vassal" minor factions and units. Would be a fun play through, might you could either be like the Federation from Star Trek or the Covenant from Halo.

Honestly I don't think I could ever do the whole infiltrate or abduct primitives I would probably always try to uplift them or just passively observe them if they seemed like they wouldn't mesh well.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 15, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Are we allowed to give primitive species a good tumble?

Asking for a friend.

"Friend"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

"Friend"

The guy in the picture seems friendly enough to me!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Baronjutter posted:

I just wonder if 30 civs will be the max at a time. It looks like it's the max allowed when generating a map, but can more civs appear through uplifting or rebellion if the game already has 30?

It's just the max starting, and I think that's only for "player- level" races, so it doesn't affect things like fallen empires or primitive races. More empires can form as the game goes on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mister Adequate posted:

no

Jeff Goldblum is good and cool and I am always up for watching whatever variant on "Jeff Goldblum in a movie" he's playing this week, but that trailer was terrible and the movie will be poo poo.

Also, gently caress that speech.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

From a Paradox producer's twitter:

:smith:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
"Low to Moderate life signs"

There still a chance!!!!!

Observe Fallout 5 in real time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Westminster System posted:

"Low to Moderate life signs"

There still a chance!!!!!

Observe Fallout 5 in real time.

Guess they did patrol the Mojave enough.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
"MicroVAC, would it be advisable to visit the Fallout planet?"

After falling silent for several tense breaths, the machine prints out a slip of paper which simply reads: 'pissssssssss'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The away team just confirmed the life signs, but its the strangest thing. There seems to be tits on everything!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

zedprime posted:

The away team just confirmed the life signs, but its the strangest thing. There seems to be titsreproductive organs on everything!

There fixed it for you

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Can I abduct the Vault Dweller and rewrite Mothership Zeta?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Would it actually be conceivable for a pre-spacefaring civ to defeat one of the galactic civs in game or would that be like AI Cherokee getting the No Trail of Tears achievement in EU4?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Kavak posted:

Can a Passive Observation mission gently caress up really badly and have one of the researchers declare himself a god-king? Better yet, can you decide he has a point and support his efforts?

I really want to create The Dominion and convince lesser species I'm a god then genetically modify them into super soldiers.

I'm so excited for this game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Would it actually be conceivable for a pre-spacefaring civ to defeat one of the galactic civs in game or would that be like AI Cherokee getting the No Trail of Tears achievement in EU4?

I expect there won't be actual battles between primitives and spacefarers, just progress bars that can get set back by event and abandoned if you need the resources elsewhere but that's just a guess

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Groogy posted:

There fixed it for you

Know whats going to be great once the modding community gets ahold of Stellaris? Not only are we going to get the usual assortment of nude portriats for each race, but now we can have entire colonies replaced by giant dick towers and boob domes. Imagine it like the original box art for Disney's The Little Mermaid .

The future will be glorious.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Manket posted:

One of the IGN videos showed that you can outfit your space stations with a mining unit that extracts a planets resources from orbit. Combine that with orbital bombardment and I think you could work something out.

I was wondering something similar to this, just basically if it will be possible to play as a mostly nomadic empire that keeps its POPs in space stations and colony ships, does a lot of trading of crazy anomaly tech and rare minerals. I think it will be mechanically feasible for the most part, but maybe not intentionally built in by the devs (but it seems like something Paradox would do in a DLC).

"Entirely" nomadic nomads / migrations is usually not something Clausewitz handles well, even if Paradox have managed to come up with some workable ideas in CK2 (were you easily gain and lose territory) - I'm guessing you'll have to hold at least one province at any one time, so you can't really have a migrating space fleet with a big rear end mothership as your only base of operations.

e: Or like, a Homeworld style civilization on the move, Craftworld Eldar etc.

Hmm, I wonder what other sci-fi species fit the Antarans bill - Dark Eldar? One central "world" chilling out in an alternative dimension and sending out raids to our space through a bunch of shortcut portals that only they know how to use - pretty close fit.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 15, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Pimpmust posted:

e: Or like, a Homeworld style civilization on the move, Craftworld Eldar etc.

Battlestar Galactica mod, obviously! :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I hope you are taking notes Paradox :beerpal:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

canepazzo posted:

Oh no. :smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Enjoy posted:

I expect there won't be actual battles between primitives and spacefarers, just progress bars that can get set back by event and abandoned if you need the resources elsewhere but that's just a guess
The dev diary straight up says a military annexation needs you to win a ground war, which is a joke against pre-industrials but can be some form of strain on your troops against industrial and post-industrial level societies. Its hard to imagine what that would look like since we haven't seen how ground wars work yet. Can also imagine things going poorly for orbital research stations when they start experimenting with space flight even if you've taken a passive or espionage approach that far.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

Ugh I hate being hyped so hard

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be funny if enslaving/eradicating species of your own archetype made other races of your archetype mad, but they don't care what you do to those filthy fungaloid 'people'.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Larry Parrish posted:

It would be funny if enslaving/eradicating species of your own archetype made other races of your archetype mad, but they don't care what you do to those filthy fungaloid 'people'.
I think people have picked apart clauses from screenshots that make it seem like xenophobes don't mind you enslaving other races.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
When is the next major paradox gaming convention or whatever, because I have a feeling they're gonna hit us with that Fallout 4 style release date announcement wherein they have Johan walk on stage and he goes "and you can begin your Galactic Federations soon... in fact, you can start right now."

As he walks off stage the crowds going crazy with half the people rushing to leave the auditorium and the other half hollering and high fiving when the lights dim to black and the PI logo appears on screen... the tension mounts with a slow pan up of a throne and until Queen Victoria's gaze is shown with a black screen and big white V3 appears with the words "coming 2017."

MRW this comes true:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The initial Stellaris listing had them aiming for a mid February release, going through upcoming releases still has Stellaris listed in between things in the same general date.

So, that's probably what they are aiming for, but expect it to probably be pushed back for any number of reasons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

February already has XCOM2 coming out so I kinda hope it'll get pushed to at least March :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Westminster System posted:

The initial Stellaris listing had them aiming for a mid February release, going through upcoming releases still has Stellaris listed in between things in the same general date.

So, that's probably what they are aiming for, but expect it to probably be pushed back for any number of reasons.

Paradox please stick to a mid-to-late February release date for Stellaris so I can buy it for myself on my birthday

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Paradox please let me test it now. I don't care how broken it is or how much documentation you need from me. I need this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope nobody seriously believes Stellaris is that close to release unless you enjoy disappointing yourself.