Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

pik_d posted:

Is there any way SALR could make the forum breadcrumbs go back to the old way? Failing that, does anyone know of a script/extension that does that already?

I put together a Greasemonkey script a while ago to do this.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        No Breadcrumbs
// @include     http://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

var head, style;
head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
if (!head) { return; }
style = document.createElement('style');
style.type = 'text/css';
style.innerHTML = 'div.breadcrumbs a.up:hover span { display: none !important; }';
head.appendChild(style);

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
That script only disables the hover menu. It doesn't add the original contents back. That was good enough for me when I wrote it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Marta Velasquez posted:

That script only disables the hover menu. It doesn't add the original contents back. That was good enough for me when I wrote it.

I feel really dumb, because when I reinstalled Greasemonkey, it picked up multiple scripts called "Something Awful Fixes/Improvements", most of which do what I want. :eng99:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:frogsiren: This might explain some of the installation problems reported with the last beta version:

mozilla e-mail from this morning posted:

Your add-on, SomethingAwful Last Read Enhancement, has been automatically resigned for distribution in
upcoming versions of Firefox. The signing process involved repackaging the
add-on files and adding the string '.1-signed' to their versions numbers. The
new versions have kept their review status and are now available for your
users.

[...]

This has been done following an issue on our servers: the files that got
reviewed between 2015-11-10 and 2015-11-18 were signed incorrectly, which can
lead to installation problems. We strongly recommend that you use the newly
signed versions and distribute them to your users.

Here's a link to the updated version!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
This has probably been asked but is there no option in the bookmark area to open all newly posted threads? I have it on the google chrome version but not the firefox version.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 18.1 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in beta 18.1:
  • Quick Quote windows will now close and submit their contents as a forum post preview if SALR is disabled or updated. Detached Quick Quote windows will merely close.
  • Fixed gesture navigation in new search results via post history searches.

notes from beta 17 posted:

• Fixed non-breaking space code showing up if new reply counts are on the same line as reply counts in thread lists.
  • Fixed SALR's window-based preferences erroneously showing up in Firefox 42+.
  • Removed SALR's window-based preferences entirely.
  • Minimum Firefox/Gecko version is now 29

astral fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
After updating from the last beta to the latest, the SA context menu disappeared from my browser until I restarted it. Just thought I'd mention it, since that means that last one wasn't "restartless". Haven't had a problem with the other betas however.

On Ubuntu 14.04, Firefox 42.0

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

After updating from the last beta to the latest, the SA context menu disappeared from my browser until I restarted it. Just thought I'd mention it, since that means that last one wasn't "restartless". Haven't had a problem with the other betas however.

On Ubuntu 14.04, Firefox 42.0

You only needed to reload the page, not the whole browser - pages loaded with an older/deactivated version of SALR need to be reloaded to be processed by the newer/active version of SALR. It's the last remaining really annoying issue related to the restartless updates, and I unfortunately haven't found a simple, elegant fix for that yet (though the good news is I have some ideas for one when SALR becomes multiprocess-aware).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

astral posted:

You only needed to reload the page, not the whole browser - pages loaded with an older/deactivated version of SALR need to be reloaded to be processed by the newer/active version of SALR. It's the last remaining really annoying issue related to the restartless updates, and I unfortunately haven't found a simple, elegant fix for that yet (though the good news is I have some ideas for one when SALR becomes multiprocess-aware).

what about for when it becomes self-aware?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

what about for when it becomes self-aware?

Sledgehammer and a gun with a single bullet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren::toot:v3.0.1 - restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out!:toot::siren:
(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New from last release (v1.99.150513):
  • SALR is now restartless!
    • Please note: if you are upgrading from the non-restartless version, it will still require a browser restart to clear out the old one.
    • Quick Quote windows will now submit a forum post preview if one is open when SALR is disabled or updated.
  • Preferences for SALR are now in-content (tab-based)!
    • Also made in-content preferences more keyboard-friendly: various elements/actions (that previously only responded to mouse clicks because their old preference versions did) will now respond to keyboard commands as well.
  • Re-enabled update notifications. There are two styles of update notification; you may change your preference for this in the General pane.
  • Changed "Search Forums" SA menu item and in-thread search boxes to use the new forum search.
  • Enabled gesture navigation for new search.
  • Enabled conversion of video links to click-to-embed by default.
  • Improved the security of Quick Quote/Edit/Post/Reply.
  • Worked around "Rap Sheet" link being added by forums javascript in the wrong place for posts by non-platinum users.
  • Hiding a user's avatar in threads no longer causes a disorienting page scroll in most cases.
  • Fixed link-to-image conversion of imgur images not respecting thumbnail settings on first load if they might have been subject to the forum imgur bug.
  • Fixed some smilies mistakenly being affected by image-to-link converter.
  • Fixed "Add Coloring/Note" button action not scrolling to the new user in the list.
  • Fixed "Default" buttons not working in General preference pane.
  • Fixed icon not displaying in Add-ons manager if SALR is disabled.
  • Fixed "Time you've spent on the forums" counter not detecting closed tabs properly.
    • (If you want to have a more accurate count, reset preference "extensions.salastread.timeSpentOnForums" in about :config.)
  • Reworked UI for "Hide 'Search Thread' box" preference to "Add 'Search Thread' box".
  • "Show threads with new posts first in the bookmark list" now promotes fully unread threads over fully read threads.
  • SALR no longer adds "Hide/Show Avatar" buttons in threads if "hide all custom titles" preference is active.
  • The page list select box in SALR's forum/thread navigator should now be more readable on Windows platforms and better-sized on Linux.
  • SALR-starring a thread no longer causes an alert message.
  • SALR's other context menu actions' alert messages now only block the current tab instead of the whole browser window.
  • Fixed Quick Edit losing bookmark status for threads if editing posts from Show Single Post view.
  • Fixed SALR failing to work in threads 'locked for archiving'. On a related note, SALR now has some new, more efficient ways of finding forumid/threadid.
  • Bumped the font-size for reply counts in thread list reply columns slightly.
    • Also fixed them looking weird in YOSPOS.
  • Fixed in-archives detection in threads; among other things, this prevents non-working '1' links to single posts from being inserted.
  • Added UI to enable changing the embeddable link background color in the Colors pane.
  • Fixed 'Something Awful' link in the SA menu showing the Firefox context menu instead of opening the link in a new tab.
  • Fixed several style-related preferences not applying changes immediately.
  • Fixed "Shrink 'Pages' list" preference being listed in the wrong pane.
  • Fixed centered titles mistakenly being shrunk by 'Shrink large custom title text' option.
  • Added 'Shrink all custom title text' option. (default: off)
  • Made quick quote only scroll preview to end while you type if you are scrolled near the end of the edit box. (previous: always scrolled to end while you type)
  • Timgs in spoilers are now hidden when the spoiler isn't moused over (a workaround since the forums don't).
  • Fixed user highlighting colors not applying in "Who posted?" links when they were supposed to.
  • Fixed toggling nested menus causing SA menu to appear even if SA menu was disabled.
  • Added support to the video embedder for m.youtube.com links.
  • Added experimental option to convert imgur gifs to embedded video (default off).
  • Fixed SALR features not working in single post links to ignored posts.

Known issue: When the restartless version updates, pages loaded with an older/deactivated version of SALR need to be reloaded to be processed by the newer/active version of SALR. So, if you encounter weirdness after the next SALR update, see if reloading the page fixes it for that page. :)

Special thanks to everyone who helped beta test!

e: 3.0.1 fixes a small HTML error in the changelog. Sorry about that!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2015

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.
^ I literally just upgraded to Firefox 43, got an error about my current version of SALR, came here to find an update, found it, installed it, I'm back in business. Thank you!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

PovRayMan posted:

^ I literally just upgraded to Firefox 43, got an error about my current version of SALR, came here to find an update, found it, installed it, I'm back in business. Thank you!

Same here, thanks! I had been planning on upgrading at some point, and followed this thread, but Mozilla forced my hand.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Firefox just told me SALR is disabled. Am I missing an update or something?

E: Says it hasn't been verified, I guess.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Firefox just told me SALR is disabled. Am I missing an update or something?

E: Says it hasn't been verified, I guess.

That's correct! Please try the following methods to update SALR:
  1. Tell Firefox to update your extensions by clicking the gear on the add-ons page and selecting "Check for Updates":

or tell Firefox to check for updates just for SALR by right clicking SALR and selecting "Find Updates":

2. If that doesn't work, or you are already in the thread and don't feel like going to the add-ons page, you can click the latest update link I posted in the thread:

If manually triggering the automatic updates aren't working for anyone, please post your previous version and we can try to figure out why that's happening. Please do note that if your antivirus software is doing a man-in-the-middle attack on your HTTPS traffic (Avast's HTTPS scanning setting under the Web Shield, for example), this can interfere with Firefox's extension update process.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ah, looks like it updated on its own. Weird.

Thanks!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm on 3.0.1 (which I installed without issue last night) and had to disable signature checking to get it working again. No updates were available, which makes sense since I was already on the current version, and attempts to reinstall were blocked.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just updated Firefox and then SALR and suddenly I cannot right click mouse gesture out of forums into the main SA directory, trying to do so simply reloads the current forum I'm in.

I looked through settings and I'm probably missing something really obvious. :downs:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Previa_fun posted:

I just updated Firefox and then SALR and suddenly I cannot right click mouse gesture out of forums into the main SA directory, trying to do so simply reloads the current forum I'm in.

I looked through settings and I'm probably missing something really obvious. :downs:
I'm having the same issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

Mirificus posted:

I'm having the same issue.

That's a bug - thanks for the report.

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm on 3.0.1 (which I installed without issue last night) and had to disable signature checking to get it working again. No updates were available, which makes sense since I was already on the current version, and attempts to reinstall were blocked.

This shouldn't be happening. Please let me know if this continues for newer versions.

astral fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 18, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just tried to manually update to the latest version and it's telling me it couldn't be installed because of a "connection failure". I do have Avast antivirus running, could that be causing the issue? If so, how should I fix it? Thanks!

dumb silly baby
Apr 10, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

If so, how should I fix it? Thanks!

Right click the Avast icon in systray and choose "Avast shields control" then select "disable for 10min".
Now follow the instructions as stated here

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Just tried to manually update to the latest version and it's telling me it couldn't be installed because of a "connection failure". I do have Avast antivirus running, could that be causing the issue? If so, how should I fix it? Thanks!

dumb silly baby posted:

Right click the Avast icon in systray and choose "Avast shields control" then select "disable for 10min".
Now follow the instructions as stated here

If this lets you perform the update manually, I would recommend disabling Avast's HTTPS scanning entirely - it's actually performing a man-in-the-middle attack on all of your secure communications. A side-effect of this is that it breaks Firefox's ability to validate its HTTPS connection to update SALR (and quite likely other extensions), which means you won't receive automatic extension updates.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:toot:v3.0.2 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out!:toot:
(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New from last release (v3.0.1):
  • Fixed some bugs with mouse gesture navigation.

New in v3.0.1 from v1.99.150513 posted:

• SALR is now restartless!
    • Please note: if you are upgrading from the non-restartless version, it will still require a browser restart to clear out the old one.
    • Quick Quote windows will now submit a forum post preview if one is open when SALR is disabled or updated.
  • Preferences for SALR are now in-content (tab-based)!
    • Also made in-content preferences more keyboard-friendly: various elements/actions (that previously only responded to mouse clicks because their old preference versions did) will now respond to keyboard commands as well.
  • Re-enabled update notifications. There are two styles of update notification; you may change your preference for this in the General pane.
  • Changed "Search Forums" SA menu item and in-thread search boxes to use the new forum search.
  • Enabled gesture navigation for new search.
  • Enabled conversion of video links to click-to-embed by default.
  • Improved the security of Quick Quote/Edit/Post/Reply.
  • Worked around "Rap Sheet" link being added by forums javascript in the wrong place for posts by non-platinum users.
  • Hiding a user's avatar in threads no longer causes a disorienting page scroll in most cases.
  • Fixed link-to-image conversion of imgur images not respecting thumbnail settings on first load if they might have been subject to the forum imgur bug.
  • Fixed some smilies mistakenly being affected by image-to-link converter.
  • Fixed "Add Coloring/Note" button action not scrolling to the new user in the list.
  • Fixed "Default" buttons not working in General preference pane.
  • Fixed icon not displaying in Add-ons manager if SALR is disabled.
  • Fixed "Time you've spent on the forums" counter not detecting closed tabs properly.
    • (If you want to have a more accurate count, reset preference "extensions.salastread.timeSpentOnForums" in about :config.)
  • Reworked UI for "Hide 'Search Thread' box" preference to "Add 'Search Thread' box".
  • "Show threads with new posts first in the bookmark list" now promotes fully unread threads over fully read threads.
  • SALR no longer adds "Hide/Show Avatar" buttons in threads if "hide all custom titles" preference is active.
  • The page list select box in SALR's forum/thread navigator should now be more readable on Windows platforms and better-sized on Linux.
  • SALR-starring a thread no longer causes an alert message.
  • SALR's other context menu actions' alert messages now only block the current tab instead of the whole browser window.
  • Fixed Quick Edit losing bookmark status for threads if editing posts from Show Single Post view.
  • Fixed SALR failing to work in threads 'locked for archiving'. On a related note, SALR now has some new, more efficient ways of finding forumid/threadid.
  • Bumped the font-size for reply counts in thread list reply columns slightly.
    • Also fixed them looking weird in YOSPOS.
  • Fixed in-archives detection in threads; among other things, this prevents non-working '1' links to single posts from being inserted.
  • Added UI to enable changing the embeddable link background color in the Colors pane.
  • Fixed 'Something Awful' link in the SA menu showing the Firefox context menu instead of opening the link in a new tab.
  • Fixed several style-related preferences not applying changes immediately.
  • Fixed "Shrink 'Pages' list" preference being listed in the wrong pane.
  • Fixed centered titles mistakenly being shrunk by 'Shrink large custom title text' option.
  • Added 'Shrink all custom title text' option. (default: off)
  • Made quick quote only scroll preview to end while you type if you are scrolled near the end of the edit box. (previous: always scrolled to end while you type)
  • Timgs in spoilers are now hidden when the spoiler isn't moused over (a workaround since the forums don't).
  • Fixed user highlighting colors not applying in "Who posted?" links when they were supposed to.
  • Fixed toggling nested menus causing SA menu to appear even if SA menu was disabled.
  • Added support to the video embedder for m.youtube.com links.
  • Added experimental option to convert imgur gifs to embedded video (default off).
  • Fixed SALR features not working in single post links to ignored posts.
Special thanks to everyone who helped beta test!

Known issue: When the restartless version updates, pages loaded with an older/deactivated version of SALR need to be reloaded to be processed by the newer/active version of SALR. So, if you encounter weirdness after the next SALR update, see if reloading the page fixes it for that page. :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

astral posted:

If this lets you perform the update manually, I would recommend disabling Avast's HTTPS scanning entirely - it's actually performing a man-in-the-middle attack on all of your secure communications. A side-effect of this is that it breaks Firefox's ability to validate its HTTPS connection to update SALR (and quite likely other extensions), which means you won't receive automatic extension updates.
Thanks for the tip, that fixed it!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

astral posted:

This shouldn't be happening. Please let me know if this continues for newer versions.
Still happening with 3.0.2.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

astral posted:

New from last release (v3.0.1):
  • Fixed some bugs with mouse gesture navigation.
Thanks. That did the trick :)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm on the Firefox 44 Beta and I've noticed that the User Control Panel is broken. It no longer colors and sorts the entries. Has anybody else seen something like this?

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

I'm on 3.0.2 and Firefox 43 (on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) claims the extension isn't verified for use in Firefox.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

alyandon posted:

I'm on 3.0.2 and Firefox 43 (on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) claims the extension isn't verified for use in Firefox.

:siren: For you and anyone that these signed builds are still showing up as 'not verified':

I reached out to some of the addons.mozilla.org folks, and this might be related to a bug they're seeing - they said if you can provide the extensions.json file from your Firefox profile, it would help them figure out what (if not why) is going on. If you want, please send that file along with Firefox+OS Version to me at and I'll make sure it gets forwarded to the right people.

Afterwards, or if you don't want to submit that information, you can try the following to resolve the issue:
  1. Click the 'Remove' button for SALR in about :addons
  2. Restart your browser
  3. (Re)install the latest version of SALR
and they think that should fix the problem for you. Please let me know if it doesn't.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
On a whim, I tried to uninstall / restart / install, but the UCP is still broken for me.

Beta Firefox 44.0b2 x64

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

I'm on the Firefox 44 Beta and I've noticed that the User Control Panel is broken. It no longer colors and sorts the entries. Has anybody else seen something like this?

Nalin posted:

On a whim, I tried to uninstall / restart / install, but the UCP is still broken for me.

Beta Firefox 44.0b2 x64

I'm not sure I understand your description of how it's broken - can you please post a screenshot of the UCP and one of SALR's "forums" settings?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

astral posted:

Afterwards, or if you don't want to submit that information, you can try the following to resolve the issue:
  1. Click the 'Remove' button for SALR in about :addons
  2. Restart your browser
  3. (Re)install the latest version of SALR
and they think that should fix the problem for you. Please let me know if it doesn't.
That worked for me. Firefox 43.0.1, Win10 Pro x64.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I hadn't updated in roughly forever, really liking this new version! The YouTube ebmbeddenifier thingy is awesome. astral, you're awesome. Thank you for all the work you've put into this.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure you already know this but parts of SALR don't work with e10s. Those parts being everything outside of the option grenade :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dodoman posted:

I'm sure you already know this but parts of SALR don't work with e10s. Those parts being everything outside of the option grenade :v:

Firefox/SALR versions? I ask because I'm not running into any issues with e10s enabled in Dev edition or nightly outside of a known Firefox bug.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
FF x64 44.0b2
SALR 3.0.2

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dodoman posted:

FF x64 44.0b2
SALR 3.0.2

Are they A/B testing e10s with this beta? I don't seem to have the option to enable it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I used the about : config tweaks from this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3wxkqh/today_i_moved_back_to_firefox_use_64_bit_async/ to enable e10s. I guess that's why you can't recreate it.

It's not a huge issue, this is a hacky way to get it so I can't expect Firefox to play nicely with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

astral posted:

I'm not sure I understand your description of how it's broken - can you please post a screenshot of the UCP and one of SALR's "forums" settings?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Was away for Christmas.

UCP: http://imgur.com/aKdN3L1
SALR Forum Settings: http://imgur.com/vsVUti3

Is there anything else you need to see? The picture shows that threads are not being sorted by unread first, nor are they being colored according to the star color.

I get nothing in either the Web Console or the Browser Console.

I tried disabling all my addons except SALR and restarting. That didn't help. For reference, here are my installed addons:
* Flashblock
* Google Redirects Fixer
* Greasemonkey
* Nuke Anything Enhanced
* Status-4-Evar
* uBlock Origin (not blocking SA)

My laptop runs Firefox 43 and still works, which is why I was asking if anybody runs Firefox 44 Beta and noticed any issues.

• Locked thread