Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Booblord Zagats posted:

He has a Mjolnir necklace because he likes to pretend Odin's magic is the reason nothing can lift him

It's actually the Pilgrim's Cross from Chris Roberts' Wing Commander movie. He religiously wears it, like, everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wxnkx/playing_with_friends_is_impossible/

hahaha, it takes them hours to manage to get with a friend in the same ship and when they finally do we are right there to steal their poo poo or blow them up the first chance we get.

This is loving glorious. :qq:

The ultimate response in these situations is when some smug jerk says, " Did it with 16 friends for over three hours last night, I don't see the issue skrub"

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I know we're all cynical edgelords here. But I have to admit being impressed with the possibility of what could be with this game.

I just snuck on board a connie with three other players (who seemed to know each other. Two were un-ironically calling the other guy "commander" in chat). At some station I was able to EVA and see these guys moving around inside the ship, I got back in the ship and took the driver's seat. As I was ramming their ship head on into another connie I could see the crew members of the other ship running around inside of it.

Pretty impressive.

And i can't screen cap. Just pastes a black screen. :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

spacetoaster posted:

Well they got half of rendering space correct. Now for the other half.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
^
^

I felt exactly that way about 1 year ago, when Arena Commander was finally unfucked and you could play it with your buds. But...by this point I've long since accepted this is all just carrots to make you forget what a turd the company is that built it all and how long they took for just this much.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Already tired of 2.0 because of the other players.

Stop making these people sad!!!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Can't ships be spawned on demand or something by players right now? Why do they get so mad when an enthusiastic pilot scrubs all the landing pads clean?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is my new favorite Reddit post. He doesn't even have the capacity to be irrationally angry. It's almost like you can hear him sighing in exasperation every time he runs out of the airlock just in time to watch some retard slam a Constellation into his newly spawned Retaliator.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Oh yeah, and if CIG didn't want players to blow up everything in sight then they shouldn't have made the explosions so ~gorgeous~

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Million Mile High Club Screenshots

I really don't understand why they have the most posh and exclusive location on the planet guarded by some guy they found off the street.

Frankly the whole direction they've taken the clothes is so depressingly mundane it continues to bug me. It's 900 years in the future and the guy is wearing a vest, tie, and black latex gloves? I always thought game design would be a really cool opportunity for folks to take risk and see what kind of interesting designs people come up with if given total freedom. I mean Hollywood is full of costume designers; you can't contract them out to go wild with some concept art? It's about as unimaginative as the ship designs. I look at the stuff that was done in the Hunger Games or Mad Max and wonder what people could do if really given the freedom to play around with it.

What do you expect ? Robert's space nerds are actually deeply conservative people, if you give them some 5th Element or Blade Runner style costumes, you will have them whining forever on the forums about how stuff is unrealistic and not practical. Anything but a plain tactical vest and fingerless gloves is not considered space-cool by these idiots.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I know we're all cynical edgelords here. But I have to admit being impressed with the possibility of what could be with this game.

I just snuck on board a connie with three other players (who seemed to know each other. Two were un-ironically calling the other guy "commander" in chat). At some station I was able to EVA and see these guys moving around inside the ship, I got back in the ship and took the driver's seat. As I was ramming their ship head on into another connie I could see the crew members of the other ship running around inside of it.

Pretty impressive.

I think the blank screen screencap is something that happens when running games in fullscreen borderless windowed mode, fwiw. (I don't even remember if SC offers this as a video option, but anyhow.)

I also agree that seeing the premise is super hype-inducing.

Over the years of watching roberts in action though I just have no doubts that he will gently caress it up and turn the whole thing in to a terrible shithole of awful game mechanics, whether it's because of appeasing carebares at any cost, or thinking that something like DRINKMASTER 5000 is a good thing to have exist in your game.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty impressive.

This actually sounds kind of magical. I have no desire to give any of my cash to Christos Robertos, but I'd love to get in on this fabulous game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

The fact that she still does't shine speaks volumes...
She is the Black Hole at the center of CIG's galaxy, an object of otherworldly density that absorbs all light and crushes anything that crosses the event horizon that is Santa Monica's Marketing department.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

It's actually the Pilgrim's Cross from Chris Roberts' Wing Commander movie. He religiously wears it, like, everywhere.

The only pilgrimage Ben ever undertakes is to the fridge.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MeLKoR posted:

The only pilgrimage Ben ever undertakes is to the fridge.

If only his glandular problem would let up, then he could make it even faster.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blueberrysmith posted:

This actually sounds kind of magical. I have no desire to give any of my cash to Christos Robertos, but I'd love to get in on this fabulous game.

You're in a good position. Go play fallout 4, broforce, or some other good game that exists right now. Check back on SC in several months.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

spacetoaster posted:

You're in a good position. Go play fallout 4, broforce, or some other good game that exists right now. Check back on SC in several months.

I'm mostly concerned that all the excellent griefing opportunities will be gone. From all the descriptions of what currently exists it seems like a platform specifically created to grief only the saltiest of internet nerds.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Every time someone starts talking about lesnic again, I get this banner ad.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

And there is no way to group with your friends so you have to pray that you end up in the same server.

Apparently if everyone loads into their hangar, press f11 or something and forms a group, when one group member launches into the space camelot the others will see his instance and can load into it. Not tried it myself but that's what someone said.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Printscreen stores a screenshot for you.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hav posted:

Ben Lesnick is fat
Derek is taking this personally/impersonally
Forbes and a couple of other 'print' publications are taking an interest
Two weeks

-2.0 went fully live and it was like:

-Lots of fat shaming of Ben because during a livestream of him and a few CIG employees watching Star Wars he walked by the camera someone screenshotted him from the side blotting out the sun (Ben, I kid).

-Nothing new about Derek except more of the same, no lawsuit details, other than it's coming, DS predicts 11 million is left in coffers and they will be insolvent in Q1 2016, won't divulge anything more

-Wesha (a CIG whale to the tune of 32k) is against laws preventing sex with minors (i think?) and is a creepy stalker, but I had to be a creepy stalker to find this out :ironicat:

-No karl, no octopode, no seraph I can think of in a while, but we get the occasional apologist who calls us virgins

-Loiosh, Space Pollyanna in the flesh, came around and is actually thinking of getting a refund after CIG utterly failed to convince someone who was, for all intents and purposes, an enthusiastic backer who really wanted the project to succeed, with 2.0, as it is an unmitigated bug filled grief fest... was in over $1,000 deep from what I recall, but correct me if I am wrong Loiosh! :)

-Griefing is out of control in the 'verse. Many threads on CIG and reddit on how to deal with them (like RL execution/lifetime bans) when RSI sold a pirate pack for you know, piracy but carebears are saying that is only to match the 'verse lore, not actually pirate stuff.

-Kamikraze Org started a ramming revolution and is growing in leaps and bounds. Citizens are terrified, and it's not goons doing it, it's their own...

-CIG devolving into eating their own, wheels coming off, promises broken.

-The Million Mile High Club can NOW BE ACCESSED BY ANYONE, thank you reddit, by altering game files. no one was impressed, incoming whale tears.

- Sandi changed the bouncer at the MMHC to a white dude and got rid of the black guy for reasons.

Anything else?

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 15, 2015

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Sicarii posted:

Oh hello I'm new

I backed when it was still a kickstarter because spaceship games werent really a thing back then. I haven't even played it yet because my PC is 8360km away.

I'm assuming there is no TL;DR about this D. Smart thing (who seems a little bitter) and I'll just go on being happy that SC has proved that there's a spaceship game market.

Honestly I can't decide if the OP is an onion article or not. I glanced over some other stuff like Chris Roberts' response to The Escapist and it all seems totally ridiculous. Am I being trolled

If you have the $35 Kickstarter package like me, I wouldn't ask for a refund. (Unless you say "$35 is a substantial amount of money for me and I can't afford to lose it." but then you should re-evaluate your decision to back stuff on Kickstarter anyways.) If you are in $100+ then get a refund and rebuy the cheapest package once something substantial actually gets released.

The game itself in its actual state is not worth wasting your time on though. But you keep the ability to have a look at it now and then (its funny in its own way) and browse the forums unhindered.

It should be mentioned that the game delivers quite clearly on the meta level: The hilarity and madness surrounding it in this forum, CIGs forum, Reddit and various other sources like D_SMARTs blog and articles in magazines like The Escapist will have you laughing for days (and crying) until tears will turn into blood and you will start talking in tongues.

Hail Satan!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sicarii posted:

Oh hello I'm new

I backed when it was still a kickstarter because spaceship games werent really a thing back then. I haven't even played it yet because my PC is 8360km away.

I'm assuming there is no TL;DR about this D. Smart thing (who seems a little bitter) and I'll just go on being happy that SC has proved that there's a spaceship game market.

Honestly I can't decide if the OP is an onion article or not. I glanced over some other stuff like Chris Roberts' response to The Escapist and it all seems totally ridiculous. Am I being trolled

Derek Smart is a massive liar who is jealous because his career in gaming was nothing more then a wet fart. Star Citizen is on track to be hugely successful. All of the claims about this game being dead, mass lay offs and people walking out, have proven to be wrong. I use to be in the camp that believed Star Citizen's development was going to fail in spectacular fashion, but nothing at this point supports that belief. I will still only buy this game once its retail though.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

This is a pretty solid summary of recent events. Props.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sicarii posted:

Oh hello I'm new

Coincidentally, that's roughly the same distance as the radius of the baseline restructured grids in EVE online. Of course, most grids are now a lot larger than that silly baseline — travelling 20–30Mm before losing sight of other ships on grid is commonplace, and the always well-populated Jita 4-4 grid requires a 70Mm hike to escape.

Put in other terms, it takes more than 2 hours to fly off-grid in a really fast ship using regular propulsion. If you have a really really fast ship, you might do it in an hour and a half…

Stick that in your “big universe” pipe and smoke it, CIG. :D

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I use to be in the camp that believed Star Citizen's development was going to fail in spectacular fashion, but nothing at this point supports that belief.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hammerstein posted:

What do you expect ? Robert's space nerds are actually deeply conservative people, if you give them some 5th Element or Blade Runner style costumes, you will have them whining forever on the forums about how stuff is unrealistic and not practical. Anything but a plain tactical vest and fingerless gloves is not considered space-cool by these idiots.

I just assumed CR approved everything and his vision of the style of the future just dull and contrived.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ZenMaster posted:

-No karl, no octopode, no seraph I can think of in a while, but we get the occasional apologist who calls us virgins

This is wrong, seraph regged a new account on the last page (it's perma'd already :allears:)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

e:

context:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Frankly the whole direction they've taken the clothes is so depressingly mundane it continues to bug me. It's 900 years in the future and the guy is wearing a vest, tie, and black latex gloves? I always thought game design would be a really cool opportunity for folks to take risk and see what kind of interesting designs people come up with if given total freedom. I mean Hollywood is full of costume designers; you can't contract them out to go wild with some concept art? It's about as unimaginative as the ship designs. I look at the stuff that was done in the Hunger Games or Mad Max and wonder what people could do if really given the freedom to play around with it.

I really wish Erin had a stronger hand in that, got nice and drunk, and went back to the hilarious wardrobe and absolutely bizarre styling of Privateer 2. That game was crafted to follow in the highest tradition of made for TV science fiction drama and it absolutely reveled in it.

SC looks like someone thought that the wardrobe choices from EVE's character creator are great, could do with being even more conservative and mundane. Then add on the incredible fidelity of adding extreme skin pore texturing to the NPC selection from Half Life 2.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I'm not sure CR is aware that clothing comes in anything but black.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

blueberrysmith posted:

I'm mostly concerned that all the excellent griefing opportunities will be gone. From all the descriptions of what currently exists it seems like a platform specifically created to grief only the saltiest of internet nerds.

Do you know that bullshit parents say "believe me, it will hurt me as much as it will hurt you" before whopping your rear end? In SC it's no bullshit.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

dogboy posted:

Hail Satan!

I said come in! posted:

I will still only buy this game once its retail though.

I feel like everybody has made good points, "investing" over 50 dollars is an interesting personal decision since your're probably taking orders from moon men, and I'll try to grief people and fly around before I decide on a refund. Which I wont, because I don't care about the Canadian Currency any longer and roberts probably wont give me euro bucks. Also I'm controlled by moon men.

Hail Lunatica!

Tippis posted:

Coincidentally, that's roughly the same distance as the radius of the baseline restructured grids in EVE online. Of course, most grids are now a lot larger than that silly baseline — travelling 20–30Mm before losing sight of other ships on grid is commonplace, and the always well-populated Jita 4-4 grid requires a 70Mm hike to escape.

Oh wow, last time I played I think the grid ended at 500km. Or something.

Sicarii fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 15, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:captainpop:

OK now that's just wrong! You do realize that now they're going to pull ALL our posting privileges, right?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

http://theknow.tv/episode/the-know-game-news-season-1-is-star-citizen-finally-coming-out#comments

ouch

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 15, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

I really wish Erin had a stronger hand in that, got nice and drunk, and went back to the hilarious wardrobe and absolutely bizarre styling of Privateer 2. That game was crafted to follow in the highest tradition of made for TV science fiction drama and it absolutely reveled in it.

I was legit hoping the seedier pirate areas would turn out as close to exactly this, back when I still thought this poo poo might actually get finished one day. You just turn the knife by making me remember these lost hopes and dreams of mine. :(

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 15, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think that would be HONORABURU actually

maybe Eonwe can clear this up

agreed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i missed a seraph rereg, lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

SC looks like someone thought that the wardrobe choices from EVE's character creator are great, could do with being even more conservative and mundane. Then add on the incredible fidelity of adding extreme skin pore texturing to the NPC selection from Half Life 2.

There's a lot of things that would likely benefit from Erin being in charge while CR played director.

• Locked thread