Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The point is that the new stable will have a ton of fixes and improvements compared to the old stable. Dev never stops. So 5.0 will be a massive, massive goody bag for people who only use stable builds. At that point, stable will have caught up a lot, but not all the way, compared to dev builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

crestfallen posted:

The point is that the new stable will have a ton of fixes and improvements compared to the old stable. Dev never stops. So 5.0 will be a massive, massive goody bag for people who only use stable builds. At that point, stable will have caught up a lot, but not all the way, compared to dev builds.

Which is a large part of the point. Those that prefer stability over the latest and greatest features have a choice. Those that want the shiniest new features and are willing to put up with some bugs and possible stability issues also have a choice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
October Progress Report! Dolphin 5.0 has been delayed so it can have all the new stuff, and various tweaks and fixes are added to the tally.

In semi-related news, Wii U emulation is now a thing. A very early thing that only kind of works, but hey, walk before you can run, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyvDqbSxEB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XoNcZJozY

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Kins posted:

October Progress Report! Dolphin 5.0 has been delayed so it can have all the new stuff, and various tweaks and fixes are added to the tally.

In semi-related news, Wii U emulation is now a thing. A very early thing that only kind of works, but hey, walk before you can run, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyvDqbSxEB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XoNcZJozY

I don't know how much I'd trust that Wii U emulator considering it's hosted on GitHub with no visible source code.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know how much I'd trust that Wii U emulator considering it's hosted on GitHub with no visible source code.
There's another project that is in a similarly super-early state, that is open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460rLwvcGDE

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The fact that people are doing it at all is very exciting.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I'm trying to emulate Rogue Squadron 2 on Dolphin, and I just can't get it to work. Using the latest stable version, the sound stutters incredibly, I get really low frame rates, and in menus the bottom half of the screen is all janky (the whole screen in mission). On any of the newer dolphin builds, the game runs at 5 FPS, no matter the settings. My computer is an i-5, with an R9 290, etc etc, runs Witcher 3 on highest. What magic combo of settings do I need to use? I've tried all of the graphic and sound options, but there are so many I assume there must be a combination I need to do, or I am just doing something fundamentally wrong.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Rogue Leader might actually be the hardest GC/Wii game to emulate because Factor 5 were insane programmers. It's surprising you're actually getting any kind of sensible output at all.

e: v Also yes, use a dev build, the "stable" is not actually stable at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 11, 2015

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Using the latest stable version

That's like two years old at this point, grab the latest dev build from here and try again. https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Im_Special posted:

That's like two years old at this point, grab the latest dev build from here and try again. https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

Like I said, the newer ones give me 5 FPS. They are actually worse. I tried the latest dev build and two other dev builds, with the same result. And I know people emulate it successfully, I looked on the official wiki, and there is someone with the same graphics card as me who runs it fine. I even downloaded the same version that person was using, but still 5 FPS (like it actually is really slow, and takes about 2 minutes to get past the opening screen.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
What's your processor again? i5 isn't terribly explicit, especially since the comparison on there is a 4th generation i7.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Well here's the progress report that was about those Rogue Squadron games, maybe it can provide you hints in getting them to work, good luck.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/02/01/dolphin-progress-report-january-2015/

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Like I said, the newer ones give me 5 FPS. They are actually worse. I tried the latest dev build and two other dev builds, with the same result. And I know people emulate it successfully, I looked on the official wiki, and there is someone with the same graphics card as me who runs it fine. I even downloaded the same version that person was using, but still 5 FPS (like it actually is really slow, and takes about 2 minutes to get past the opening screen.

Check your FPS settings? I know one of the builds from a bit back defaulted to 5fps lock for some loving reason.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Check your FPS settings? I know one of the builds from a bit back defaulted to 5fps lock for some loving reason.

Yeah, so this was the problem. I didn't even see that. Who knows why that was the default. Thanks though. And my processor is an i-5 4690, with 8 gigs of RAM and an R9 290 card.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Yeah, so this was the problem. I didn't even see that. Who knows why that was the default. Thanks though. And my processor is an i-5 4690, with 8 gigs of RAM and an R9 290 card.

Yeah, when you said 5 FPS that's immediately what I thought of since I had that issue as well.

Glad to know it worked for you!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, this is interesting: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/11/12/rodea-releases-for-WiiU-3DS-and-Wii/

It seems like the game is getting panned review-wise, I wonder if the Wii version in Dolphin would rate higher?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I watched the Quick Look, and the Wii version looks like it just plays better. The game was meant for the Wii-mote. With that being said, I can imagine first-print copies that come with the Wii version are going to be worth something down the line.

Also, I'm trying to emulate Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Battles run super smooth, but I'm getting glitched transitions and slowdown on the overworld. I tried disabling EFB to textures only like the wiki says, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I don't have any anti-aliasing or v-sync on, and the game is scaling at its native resolution. I have an AMD FX 6100 six-core processor and 8 gigs of RAM.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
TTYD is one of those games that seems like it should be easy to emulate but actually uses the GC hardware in ways that are rather difficult to emulate correctly.

Try updating your GPU drivers and switching which implementation of Direct3D and OpenGL you're using. Also try enabling Sync GPU in the game properties.

Also, and this really should go without saying at this point, but make sure you're using a recent development build. Do not use the 4.0 stable!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I installed the latest dev build. Everything seems to be working fine now, except when the tutorial battle started I got an error that said "memory stride is too small." Other people have gotten this error, but I can't seem to find an actual solution to it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's a recent bug with how we do EFB copies. We're still looking into it. Try using a slightly older dev build for now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's time for another progress report! The Internet Channel works again, one of the causes of Metroid Prime's stuttering is quashed (though others still remain), real Gamecube controllers no longer rumble forever if you close the emulator before the controller gets told to stop rumbling, hardcore homebrew emulators are thrown at Dolphin for compatibility testing/comedy purposes, and one tester racks up a lot of homework to do.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Is the best way to play Xenoblade Chronicles still an old custom build, or have whatever issues it had been fixed since that point?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

baram. posted:

Is the best way to play Xenoblade Chronicles still an old custom build, or have whatever issues it had been fixed since that point?

I believe they made custom sound stuff to fix it. The latest (from the Repo) should work fine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There is also a HD retexture project for it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the main thing to get is the fan-made stuff, but in terms of Dolphin builds I played it on an official release version a while ago and it was perfectly fine.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ANyone know if the Zelda Collectors Edition runs ok in this? Specifically OoT and Majoras Mask? Dolphin wiki says it works great but I just find it hard to believe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't have an answer to that question, but I do know there HD texture patches for the N64 versions of those games... But I'm guessing you're looking for Master Quest.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

ANyone know if the Zelda Collectors Edition runs ok in this? Specifically OoT and Majoras Mask? Dolphin wiki says it works great but I just find it hard to believe.

Dolphin does a pretty good job emulating the official N64 emulators.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't have an answer to that question, but I do know there HD texture patches for the N64 versions of those games... But I'm guessing you're looking for Master Quest.

Nah I just wanna play OoT and Majoras Mask but apparently the emulated Virtual Console versions are way worse?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Nah I just wanna play OoT and Majoras Mask but apparently the emulated Virtual Console versions are way worse?

If I remember right, the Virtual Console versions have some minor glitches but unless you want to play the 3DS remakes or track down physical copies of the N64 games, are the best way to play them. Emulation for the N64 is kind of terrible.

Oh and don't pick up the Zelda's Collector's Edition. Ocarina works somewhat okay, but Majora's Mask is a horrible mess in that collection.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh and don't pick up the Zelda's Collector's Edition. Ocarina works somewhat okay, but Majora's Mask is a horrible mess in that collection.

If Majora's Mask froze, you lost everything you did since the start of that 3-day cycle.

The Zelda games are fine in N64 emulators, but I've heard the latest version of Project64 installs malware or something, so avoid it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That loving Sned posted:

If Majora's Mask froze, you lost everything you did since the start of that 3-day cycle.

The Zelda games are fine in N64 emulators, but I've heard the latest version of Project64 installs malware or something, so avoid it.

They're mostly fine. OoT fucks up in the rain cutscene in Kakariko and you can't properly see the thing coming out of the well and looking around in first person while it rains is very likely to crash the game. MM can go completely black when the screen shrinks for the day transition and Pirate's Fortress is prone to crashing immediately.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If you absolutely must use an N64 emulator for PC, I'd honestly just use Retroarch and the Mupen64Plus Core for it. It has slightly better compatibility than Project64 and doesn't try to install a bunch of adware and malware.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I asked this question on the Dolphin forums but they weren't that helpful, maybe someone here can give me a better answer.

Basically, I'm looking at buying a new laptop and would like to be able to run Dolphin on it. I understand that I probably won't be turning up the resolution or doing anything fancy, but just a solid fps would be nice. Anyway, the majority of laptops in my budget that I see have CPUs with the U suffix which indicates low voltage. Apparently these are weak performance wise, though I have seen posts from people saying they've got decent results. So I want to know if anyone here has used Dolphin on something like an i5-5200u (a processor I keep seeing come up) and can give me their opinion. I also wonder if I'd be better off going for a previous generation CPU with the M suffix, as apparently this may be more powerful despite being older. Any thoughts welcome :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I asked this question on the Dolphin forums but they weren't that helpful, maybe someone here can give me a better answer.

Basically, I'm looking at buying a new laptop and would like to be able to run Dolphin on it. I understand that I probably won't be turning up the resolution or doing anything fancy, but just a solid fps would be nice. Anyway, the majority of laptops in my budget that I see have CPUs with the U suffix which indicates low voltage. Apparently these are weak performance wise, though I have seen posts from people saying they've got decent results. So I want to know if anyone here has used Dolphin on something like an i5-5200u (a processor I keep seeing come up) and can give me their opinion. I also wonder if I'd be better off going for a previous generation CPU with the M suffix, as apparently this may be more powerful despite being older. Any thoughts welcome :v:

Emulation is basically all close speed. The only recommendation is to get the fastest clocked CPU you can. This tends to make laptops exceptionally awful for emulation, but if it's what you're aiming for, then just look at the clock-rate. If you're looking for a minimum bar, 3.0ghz is probably it. I have no idea what the laptop market is like, but... well, good luck.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Paperhouse posted:

You should shoot for Skylake if you can (i5/i7-6XXX) since that'll have performance increase associated with it. If you can get something with an M suffix that would be great increase in speed, but that becomes a size/price issue obviously.

Also you can downclock the emulated CPU core now, so even if you machine isn't strong enough for some games, you should be able to downclock to some success.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you absolutely must use an N64 emulator for PC, I'd honestly just use Retroarch and the Mupen64Plus Core for it. It has slightly better compatibility than Project64 and doesn't try to install a bunch of adware and malware.

Im not sure if I even know what this means but Ill try to figure it out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Im not sure if I even know what this means but Ill try to figure it out.

http://www.libretro.com/

Download the latest nightly version and then download the Mupen64Plus Core for it. I suppose you could just use Mupen64Plus over the Retroarch frontend but it's an emulator that uses an entirely command line interface, not a graphical one so it'd have a steep learning curve. Retroarch is easier to navigate.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ah, thank you. I'll do exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone tried playing Zangeki no Reginleiv in Dolphin? It's been running really well til I got about halfway through and can't get it to quit locking up during the big boss fight in mission 35.

e: after 3 attempts, bitching on the internets solves another problem without further action.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 18, 2015

• Locked thread