Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Madcosby posted:

I'm in the alpha. First impressions:

Whenever I show up at court, I get a "LOL Are you kidding me, this is about a video game?" error message. When I input how much I've spent, I get an immediate crash to facepalm. The Class-Action suit says it can manage up to 400 people, but I've never seen more than 4 people on it at the same time. Loading times are considerably slow; I usually end up sitting on a bench outside the courthouse feeding day old bagels to pigeons. I've seen some people that have been able to enter the court house early, but I think they have conceirge status.

Overall, I'd say the case is just amazing, the high fidelity is out of this world. I can't believe how amazing it is to be part of this; I've spent over $35g in lawyer fees and it's so much fun just to watch them work. The lawyers have full transparency, including open financials, a refreshing change of pace. For example, I was billed $150 for "Paper Copies Relative To Your Case". Pretty nice to get feedback without even asking. I sent over a fruit basket, three large pizzas, and a bottle of scotch handed down to me from my great grandfather. I got a signed memo saying "Thanks you so much!!" signed by my lawyer himself. That's pretty special.

I loving lost it.:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

890 Jump is only thing they haven't sold recently (they can't sell Scythe Idris M), grey market is devastated, a lot of ships that would have made $200 profit a year ago being sold for melt cost. CIG must have figured they'd burn the grey market to the ground before Derek did.

ah but that was the sheer brilliance of my plan all along. Or have you not been paying attention to all the knee-jerk reactions I've subjected them to, with my on-going shenanigans?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Is this normal?

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Oh my gosh D_Smart is the puppetmaster you guys!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Derek Smart, please, Star Citizen must be destroyed for the whales' own good.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Decrepus posted:

Oh my gosh D_Smart is the puppetmaster you guys!

Dude he basically walked CIG into selling more ships to make money. Trap sprung.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Dude he basically walked CIG into selling more ships to make money. Trap sprung.

Derek smart has done more for the development of Star citizen than anyone at cig has

And I'm not even joking. He says something, the react. It's hilarious.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Well, this this thread was nuked.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Languages
FILIPINO, FRENCH, GERMAN, INDONESIAN, ITALIAN, JAPANESE, SPANISH, TAGALOG

Lol

As a Filipino I feel the need to slap Sandi for this abomination

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For a company starting the development cycle on a new project, sure.
Also for a company that has problems managing its workforce and/or keeping it happy.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Does this failure of an alpha even have a bug reporting process or report back to base built in?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

For a company starting the development cycle on a new project, sure.
Also for a company that has problems managing its workforce and/or keeping it happy.

If you look at the other listings there's a poo poo load more 'Senior' positions going too.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I believe in Derek Smart.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

CLASSICAL PIANO (15 YRS), Bikram Yoga, TAE-BO, Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Theatrical Combat, Surfing, MODERN DANCE, SCUBA DIVING, Qualified Marine Biologist, Motorcycling, Tennis, Cycling, Swimming, FOREIGN LANGUAGES - German, French, Japanese, Tagalog and basic Spanish.

No Marketing or Business degrees. Hmmmmmm.

Why would someone go through the effort of studying marine biology and then end up in acting? That's a really weird dead end she has chosen for herself.

I get the feeling she's taking the piss with this, because I never heard of people studying important stuff like marine biology, only to suddenly go insane and abandon it for some vanity-bullshit like acting.

That's like calling ahead in hell to let Satan know he needs a fresh torture chamber soon

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey nerds I thought you said the austin branch was closing but they just opened a position for a temporary office administrator heh heh

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CIG has a history of maintaining a large array of open positions that remain so perpetually. The cynical thought is that they do so in order to maintain the face of a company experiencing constant growth. The realistic outlook is that not a soul who applies for the positions maintains their pubes to standard.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Unlike CS people these guys can be easily replaced.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Romes128 posted:

I believe in Derek Smart.

He walks among us. :worship:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG has a history of maintaining a large array of open positions that remain so perpetually. The cynical thought is that they do so in order to maintain the face of a company experiencing constant growth. The realistic outlook is that not a soul who applies for the positions maintains their pubes to standard.

Wasn't there also some story going around about how they kept rotating people in and out of positions to make sure they never stayed around long enough to reap certain benefits?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, I clicked that link

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Eonwe posted:

sandi is star citizen

Its all fun until its true.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

1500 posted:

After 6 weeks, CIG denied my request for a refund.

quote:

Hi there,

We have reviewed your account status and regret that we are not able to accommodate your request for a refund since it was received outside of the statutory 14 day period.

Your pledge was made as part of the crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the development of “Star Citizen.” As such you were aware that the funds would be actively applied after receipt for this purpose, not idly maintained in a bank account, and therefore could not be subject to a refund once used. As you may know from the extensive information on our website Robertsspaceindustries.com, Cloud Imperium Games has been working diligently over the past 3 years on the development of the game, and now employs over 260 staff in four studios. 2,538 reports, updates and web shows have been made available during this time, and first modules with limited gameplay were offered as early as in fall of 2013 – by now hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours have been played on our servers. The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.” The only exception would be a return of unearned funds remaining in case of an abandonment of the project. If you pledged on Kickstarter, you agreed to these terms when you transferred your pledge account to robertsspaceindustries.com.

These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding and the foreseeable use of your pledge – we hope you appreciate that we cannot ask our hard working personnel to return some of their salary nor that it would be appropriate to use current backers’ funds provided for game development as a refund for an earlier and committed pledge.

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope. This expansion is a result of the community’s declared desire to have the initial release version of the game developed to a much greater depth than contemplated originally upon start of the campaign. It is inherent to the nature of crowdfunding that such an adjustment to the project may occur. Ultimately, this will benefit all backers including yourself, since every backer will be receiving a much greater value for his/her pledge, but it may – as in this case – cause an extension of the delivery dates.

We acknowledge that some individual backers may find the additional wait undesirable. However, as per Sec. VII of the ToS, you did “acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time.”

We’d like to point you to the significant gameplay which is now available; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list and if you haven't already, we encourage you to download the installer from this url: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download and patch up to play the latest version of the game.

Star Citizen is a project for gamers, by gamers. Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special. By financing the project using crowd funding, our team is not beholden to a publisher who would insist we ship a game unfinished or broken to meet a particular date. Thanks to continued backing of our community, we have the needed creative freedom over the project, to create a unique game, and we feel the results, such as unparalleled immersion and fidelity, are already speaking for themselves!

We sincerely hope you enjoy the updates both current and future in the Star Citizen 'Verse.

Thank you.
RSI Customer Service Management

Because I payed with Paypal, i am screwed.

I'm sorry for your loss. Get in touch with us at wethebackers at dereksmart dot com if you want to be a part of any forthcoming legal action.

But I predicted this months ago and warned everyone that this is precisely what would happen.

The end result is that this now sets the stage for them to walk away when this project collapses. The fact that they are now blatantly declaring that 2.0 is substantial, is proof positive of this.

Add that to the fact that when they changed the ToS in Feb 2015 to extend the delivery deadline for accountability by six (from 12 to 18) more months, I caught that. And it immediately signaled to me that they were going to pull a fast one before that deadline was up in May 2016, rather than move that date again.

If they are saying this lovely 2.0 is substantial portion of the game, when in fact it is a buggy mess for which over 90% of the poo poo promised isn't in yet, that's the beginning of the end.

Now you see why they recently made a significant change to this page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

As I've said before, 2016 is going to be the year it all falls apart in spectacular fashion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

D_Smart posted:

ah but that was the sheer brilliance of my plan all along. Or have you not been paying attention to all the knee-jerk reactions I've subjected them to, with my on-going shenanigans?

:aaaaa:

And yeah, with those ToS, CIG better not be telling any banks or investors that they follow GAAP. Otherwise, there aren't enough dicks to represent how hosed they are.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Tippis posted:

Wasn't there also some story going around about how they kept rotating people in and out of positions to make sure they never stayed around long enough to reap certain benefits?

I honestly do not recall that one. But I would have thought that benefits would be determined by total time with the company/hours logged weekly than by what position you hold? But my experience with labor laws doesn't go far beyond what I have run into as a Californian.

I would guess CIG just makes everyone a manager and pays salary rather than by the hour. Or somesuch.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo is anyone at CIG looking at these employee quotes

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

Why would someone go through the effort of studying marine biology and then end up in acting? That's a really weird dead end she has chosen for herself.

Herbalife - Hispanic Girl, speaks basic Spanish. She had the line "si me gusta, ui que rico!" in that movie, I guess that qualifies her as "basic spanish speaking".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Madcosby posted:

Holy poo poo, I clicked that link

It's funny because CIG crashing and burning will result in more deaths than every space program combined.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Libluini posted:

I get the feeling she's taking the piss with this, because I never heard of people studying important stuff like marine biology, only to suddenly go insane and abandon it for some vanity-bullshit like acting.

That's like calling ahead in hell to let Satan know he needs a fresh torture chamber soon

...because she's a loving liar who doesn't have any such degree? I mean, c'mon you know this.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

I honestly do not recall that one. But I would have thought that benefits would be determined by total time with the company/hours logged weekly than by what position you hold? But my experience with labor laws doesn't go far beyond what I have run into as a Californian.

I would guess CIG just makes everyone a manager and pays salary rather than by the hour. Or somesuch.

Depends on the state or country. To get and maintain benefits you need to be considered full time, 32 hours a week or more and on payroll for a certain amount of time

I doubt they're denying people benefits or messing with labor laws cause holy gently caress do governments react quickly to labor violations. I've seen businesses come to a complete halt because of labor law issues.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Your plan all along has been to say everything has been your plan all along. Can't say I was surprised by this post.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Video Game Development: This Shouldn't Kill Anyone

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek, if you could take a respec potion and reclass as any other class than Veteran Game Developer, what would you choose?

Endocrinologist? Carpenter? Giant Miniature Space Derek?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ragequit posted:

Your plan all along has been to say everything has been your plan all along. Can't say I was surprised by this post.

But don't you see, even your very post was part of his plan...all along.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaitian posted:

Has CIG ever heard of project management? It seems to me that there has been no project management organization at all.

I'm sure some people at CIG have heard of it, but Chris Roberts is not one of those people. You can still find people who defend him on Freelancer's fuckups, blaming Microsoft for not just giving him more time and money so he could finish what he started while not realizing Chris Roberts needs someone holding his leash or he'll run around pissing on everything until he collapses.

Like Peter Molyneux he's still going to have fans and defenders if SC is terrible though because some people can't get over the fact that a person worked on some good games in the 90s. I don't know if he had someone slapping him in to line on Wing Commander and Privateer or what but Chris Roberts is the posterchild for why Feature Creep is real and bad.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

redwalrus posted:

Its all fun until its true.

loving ew

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

That makes sense too. I just have some very vague recollection of this being offered as an explanation for why their personnel turnover was high at some point. Not that it makes much difference — it's not really something that seems healthy 4 years into a project unless they're planning something new or different and expanding to meet that new demand…

…which itself doesn't seem healthy for a company that has as its only purpose to produce a single game.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

FrankieGoes posted:

Why do you have such angry aspergery OCD friends?

i've known this guy since 2nd grade and he has become more obsessed with "min-maxing" life now that we've gotten older. He's the only one of my friends like this and it's kind of funny but also sad to see him obsessively posting in the Star Citizen Slack channel on the Slack forum thing he made for us while everyone ignores his posts. Too much computers.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair his posts are as easy to predict as Derek Smart's.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Libluini posted:

When people say "you don't go into science for the money," they don't mean "you will have to settle for an upper middle-class lifestyle," they mean "you will probably spend most of your life on the edge of poverty." In my high cost of living state, full-time state university instructors earn about $23,000 per year, and that's about what they could expect to get elsewhere. And in my field (which has both clinical and research jobs, better than fields like marine biology which have very few "for-profit" jobs), I see about 100 students graduate from my institution every year, but at most 1-2 getting jobs related to it.

So, it is absolutely plausible that Sandi got a B.A. in Marine Biology, then couldn't find any jobs with it, and chose to abandon it rather than spend another 6+ years as a graduate student with an equally bleak employment outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nemo2342 posted:

I have been had! Do I have to email wethestringsofthepuppetmaster@dereksmart.com for the class action?

• Locked thread