Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
On my Mac, it installed TrueVerb and removed every other Waves plugin. Installing the other plugins LOOKS like it works, but then they're not there. Hooray, thanks Waves. Totally worth it for the copy protection though, because god knows you can't find your poo poo pirated all over the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I am un-loving happy about this Waves Central poo poo. I decided to go for it, with the understanding that I'd have to re-install all my poo poo.

But the installer never asked me where I wanted my files to go and put over 1GB of files onto my C drive. I don't install any plugins or apps on my C drive; they all go to my G: drive. I tried moving the poo poo manually but it is NOT working out well so far.

This actually seems to be a recent trend; a lot of companies that USED TO let you choose where to install stuff are just forcing everything onto your system drive. What in the hell, guys?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

How's everyone feel about Synthmaster? Demo has been fairly impressive, but it's one of those things where I feel like I might already have it covered with Komplete.

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
Is there anything in the current NI sale that's likely to be eligible for upgrade pricing when Komplete 11 comes out?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Anode posted:

Is there anything in the current NI sale that's likely to be eligible for upgrade pricing when Komplete 11 comes out?
The only product in their thanksgiving sale that's eligible for a crossgrade to Komplete is Kontakt. (Reaktor's a crossgrade product, but it's not on sale right now.)

They have a separate $100 off sale on Komplete Kontrol keyboards now that runs until Jan, and those are crossgrade-eligible too. (In addition to including a pretty sweet subset of Komplete instruments for free).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This may be old hat to everyone, but I just found out that One Small Clue's Grace Sampler became free somewhere at the end of 2014. Win VST 32/64 bit.

Hadn't heard of it before, but I've been looking for a good free sampler for yeeeeaaaars. And everything just desperately wants to compete with Kontakt on features while all I ever wanted was to load one or two single samples across the keyboard and have a couple of envelopes and filters at hand. To basically simulate a sample slot in the trackers of yore or the simple sampler device in FL Studio. Some DAWs are gonna have something like it built in, but not Cubase.

Sure you can do some basic keymapping in Grace if you need it, but it isn't rammed down your throat or make the interface look like it was made by an ant with an attention disorder.

This, I like this:

No bullshit.

Had to look up that you need to hold alt to set modulation depth, the rest points itself out really.

e: mmmh okay it isn't exactly light on cpu

e2: Oh, good lord, forget about it, it doesn't do loops properly. It attempts to snap to zero crossings without a way to override. Even for samples with loops in already. And goes wrong (clicks) when using single cycle samples. Bah.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 4, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I want to buy sound toys 5 so bad. But I also want to give my wife Christmas presents. Decisions......

I had sound toys 4 but then installed the 5 demo and now my 4 GUI's are completely screwed in Reaper.

Anybody experienced that before?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

I want to buy sound toys 5 so bad. But I also want to give my wife Christmas presents. Decisions......

If you had better taste in women this would be one and the same.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Buying your wife a present for yourself is a classic husband trick.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As documented by that episode of The Flintstones where Fred buys a bowling ball "as an anniversary gift for Wilma."

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
"but honey, I thought that sideband compression was something we could do *together*."

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

h_double posted:

"but honey, I thought that sideband compression was something we could do *together*."
Kinky.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

h_double posted:

I'd decimate her EQ'd signal :smug:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd decimate her EQ'd signal :smug:

She's gonna be a little disappointed when she discovers it only takes 400ms to release.

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

I had sound toys 4 but then installed the 5 demo and now my 4 GUI's are completely screwed in Reaper.

Anybody experienced that before?
I bought Soundtoys 5 as a Christmas present for myself...

You deserve presents too right!?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just made the grave mistake of trying to update my z3ta+2 installation. Here's the rundown, addressed to Cakewalk on twitter:

quote:

Dear @CakewalkInc, I am currently having a bad consumer experience with you guys :( Trying to update z3ta+2...
1:48 PM - 14 Dec 2015

@CakewalkInc got wind of a new version a few hours ago, tried downloading it from my account page, d/l speeds like on a modem, incomplete

@CakewalkInc after a few tries, each hourlong, i got a full file, installed it, it put the VST dll in the wrong place without asking

@CakewalkInc also, z3ta+2 was now in Demo Mode & told me i'd need to install the "command center" to activate. at least that downloaded

@CakewalkInc there's no option to authenticate an existing install in the center, so it's now AGAIN downloading at a snail pace

@CakewalkInc overall rating of the experience so far: bad, bad, bad.

@CakewalkInc did I mention that the dodgy install also moved my Cakewalk Content folder?

@CakewalkInc also, in the Command Center the design of the tabs makes it look like all connected products are actually demo versions

@CakewalkInc oh, and now all presets are gone from z3ta+2. that's just grand.

@CakewalkInc and it produces no sound anymore even when I manually load factory presets. bravo, this has to be the worst product update ever

@CakewalkInc messing around in the registry i managed to make it load factory content, use arpeggios and produce sound. your code is bad.

@CakewalkInc I just realized that somewhere in this process YOU DELETED ALL MY USER PRESETS. what the gently caress

@CakewalkInc and as the final kicker, loading a project with z3ta+2 now gives me an error message and uses the default preset. all is gone.

In summary, back up your user presets before you update.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And if my experiences with Cakewalk are any indicator, their response will inevitably be "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

And if my experiences with Cakewalk are any indicator, their response will inevitably be "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

I used Sonar X1 for almost 3 years and hated every minute of it :colbert:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I used various iterations of Sonar for probably ten years. There were bits of it I liked, but there were problems with the software that literally went unfixed for that entire ten years while they released a new version every year that was essentially the old version with a new skin on it. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I installed a paid update that broke Quicktime support...when I was halfway through a project where I was scoring a video that was in Quicktime format. When I called them and said "hey I just paid you for an update that broke your poo poo, what do I do?", their answer was "Convert your video to another format, that's not our problem. We might get that fixed in the next full release or we might not."

I wasn't kidding, the answer to "I just paid you to break my poo poo" was pretty much "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I used various iterations of Sonar for probably ten years. There were bits of it I liked, but there were problems with the software that literally went unfixed for that entire ten years while they released a new version every year that was essentially the old version with a new skin on it. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I installed a paid update that broke Quicktime support...when I was halfway through a project where I was scoring a video that was in Quicktime format. When I called them and said "hey I just paid you for an update that broke your poo poo, what do I do?", their answer was "Convert your video to another format, that's not our problem. We might get that fixed in the next full release or we might not."

I wasn't kidding, the answer to "I just paid you to break my poo poo" was pretty much "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

I'm REALLY thankful that, in my last job, I also had Reason 6 and an actual, honest-to-god commercial license for Reaper, that I suggested the company get. Once they did, it was like 'Welp, gently caress YOU, Sonar!!'. We had been using it for years (and the other composer/sound designer still was, since he didn't mind it), so we had a few templates set up through it that would work with our hardware (we produced slot machine games and the actual machines, too), but I was able to replicate all of those templates through Reaper in less than a day.

ALSO, there was this weird bug that Sonar was putting out when you would have a multichannel wav file that, if it had silence on any one of the tracks, then all of the tracks would get screwed up when it was converted to .ogg with another program (because Sonar didn't support .ogg export).

Reaper handled everything about that with ease :smug: :toot:

EDIT: Oh my god, I just remembered midi editing with Sonar, and it feels like a painful war memory.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 14, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Reaper was what I moved to as well. Nowadays it's mostly Bitwig, then Logic for video projects. I still use Reaper from time to time. My biggest complaint about Reaper is just that they need to get someone in there who's good at UI design; the overall look of the software, the MIDI editor, and the routing stuff could all be WAY more pleasant to work with than they are.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm p sure I've babbled on about how much I love Bitwig in this thread before, but I'ma just say it again: it's the nicest DAW to use that I've ever owned. It still needs to add a few features and improve in performance before it's the end-all be-all for me, but it is so pleasant to work in that I basically only use one of my other DAWs when circumstances force me to. Nowadays that's basically when a project requires video, an effect I only have as an AU (god dammit Sinevibes), or > 16 or so huge Kontakt instruments.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm p sure I've babbled on about how much I love Bitwig in this thread before, but I'ma just say it again: it's the nicest DAW to use that I've ever owned.

are you using it with their hardware?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Which hardware is their hardware? I didn't know they were making any.

I'm using it with a Saffire Pro 48. Other than my little Arturia controller, pretty much everything else runs through that before it talks to Bitwig.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm p sure I've babbled on about how much I love Bitwig in this thread before, but I'ma just say it again: it's the nicest DAW to use that I've ever owned. It still needs to add a few features and improve in performance before it's the end-all be-all for me, but it is so pleasant to work in that I basically only use one of my other DAWs when circumstances force me to. Nowadays that's basically when a project requires video, an effect I only have as an AU (god dammit Sinevibes), or > 16 or so huge Kontakt instruments.

I like it a lot too, the plugin sandboxing has saved my rear end a few times. I wish NI controllers were better integrated with it, but I just need to get off my rear end and mess around with their controller scripting stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I haven't messed with that side of it at all. Truth is I probably use 1/10 of what it (or any DAW) is capable of, because I mainly just plug in a guitar, mic, or keyboard and hit "record". I mean I do a bunch of really complicated songs with a zillion instruments and whatnot, but I do almost all of it in the DAW itself instead of in the controller.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually I keep meaning to get further into that sort of workflow. I might trade in my Korg SV1 for a Kontrol 88 and a Beatstep Pro. Haven't quite decided yet though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I haven't messed with that side of it at all. Truth is I probably use 1/10 of what it (or any DAW) is capable of, because I mainly just plug in a guitar, mic, or keyboard and hit "record". I mean I do a bunch of really complicated songs with a zillion instruments and whatnot, but I do almost all of it in the DAW itself instead of in the controller.

This is like me, except I keep not messing with all of the features that Logic Pro (9) has. In fact, just the other day, for the first time ever, I made a drum beat a groove template, and then used flex time to time up the guitar to it. I was doing a quick thing for Fiverr, and let me tell you: doing work for someone you don't know really lights a fire under your rear end to explore poo poo like this, in order to get stuff done ASAP.

I need to know more Logic tips, I've been using it since around 2007, and while I can easily get work done, features like Flex time just blow me away. It was there the whole goddamned time! (since Logic 9) :argh:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trig Discipline posted:

Which hardware is their hardware? I didn't know they were making any.
The Nektar controllers were developed to integrate with bitwig tightly. Not that it's their hardware per se. I'm supposing that's what Earwicker's on about anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Actually I keep meaning to get further into that sort of workflow. I might trade in my Korg SV1 for a Kontrol 88 and a Beatstep Pro. Haven't quite decided yet though.

I use a Kontrol 49 and a Maschine for what's probably a similar workflow. They work just fine as generic controllers, but if you want to use any of the integrated features you have to have an instance of Maschine running inside of Bitwig.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Nektar controllers were developed to integrate with bitwig tightly. Not that it's their hardware per se. I'm supposing that's what Earwicker's on about anyway.

Oh right, I have a vague recollection of their existence. Absolutely no experience with them whatsoever.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is like me, except I keep not messing with all of the features that Logic Pro (9) has. In fact, just the other day, for the first time ever, I made a drum beat a groove template, and then used flex time to time up the guitar to it. I was doing a quick thing for Fiverr, and let me tell you: doing work for someone you don't know really lights a fire under your rear end to explore poo poo like this, in order to get stuff done ASAP.

I need to know more Logic tips, I've been using it since around 2007, and while I can easily get work done, features like Flex time just blow me away. It was there the whole goddamned time! (since Logic 9) :argh:

I have this kind of experience almost daily.

Admittedly I buy DAWs like most people buy synths, so there's a lot of fodder for it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

wayfinder posted:

I just made the grave mistake of trying to update my z3ta+2 installation. Here's the rundown, addressed to Cakewalk on twitter:

In summary, back up your user presets before you update.

This kinda stuff is literally the worst. This is why I don't update anything unless im doing a fresh system setup and won't use your plugins if the install is anything other than a zip containing a dll file.

Anyone got a rec for a good spring verb? Cheap or free would be ideal. Was enjoying the free Devil's Spring but it crashes reaper when i try to render!

field balm fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 15, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everybody may already be up on this, but Soundtoys is doing a series of pay-what-you-want promos for charity. It's basically the LE versions of their plugs (the Little X series), and they're doing a new one each week. Last week was Little MicroShift, this week is Little Radiator.

http://www.soundtoys.com/moas/

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

I am un-loving happy about this Waves Central poo poo. I decided to go for it, with the understanding that I'd have to re-install all my poo poo.

But the installer never asked me where I wanted my files to go and put over 1GB of files onto my C drive. I don't install any plugins or apps on my C drive; they all go to my G: drive. I tried moving the poo poo manually but it is NOT working out well so far.

This actually seems to be a recent trend; a lot of companies that USED TO let you choose where to install stuff are just forcing everything onto your system drive. What in the hell, guys?

Had this issue too and ended up just using the command line "mklink" to make a directory junction shortcut thing that it seems OK with. "mklink /J <your path> <their lovely path>" i.e.
mklink /J D:\Audio\Plugins\VST2\64bit\Waves "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\WaveShells V9"

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

Everybody may already be up on this, but Soundtoys is doing a series of pay-what-you-want promos for charity. It's basically the LE versions of their plugs (the Little X series), and they're doing a new one each week. Last week was Little MicroShift, this week is Little Radiator.

http://www.soundtoys.com/moas/

Worth making an iLok account?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhh maybe? Their stuff sounds really good to me, but honestly I haven't played with much but Little Alterboy yet. I already had an iLok account, so it wasn't really a schlep for me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I still refuse to use anything that requires iLok on general principle because gently caress that. There are more than enough good sounds out that that do not require iLok.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan myself, but now that they've got the dongle-free thing going I'm willing to grit my teeth and use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

sadus posted:

Had this issue too and ended up just using the command line "mklink" to make a directory junction shortcut thing that it seems OK with. "mklink /J <your path> <their lovely path>" i.e.
mklink /J D:\Audio\Plugins\VST2\64bit\Waves "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\WaveShells V9"
I might give that a shot this weekend. I've done it kind of the other way in the past (putting links to a file's real location into a virtual VST folder), but not to redirect the "real" location. Thx for the tip.