Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MacDougall posted:

Brian is building quite a set of skills.

Elite hacker
Knows at least, what, 10 languages?
Brazilian jiu jitsu blackbelt
Doctor

What am I forgetting?

The issue is that he only has partial access to his skills when not on the drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kegslayer posted:

Amateur paper mache enthusiast.

I love that the little clay dolls/figures he likes to make are a recurring thing.

They could have easily been a one-off joke for his Sands diorama, but instead became the most adorable little idiosyncrasy.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Change the world? I think Brian is going to lead the Sesame Street revival on HBO.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So glad this is on a network station so we get like 20+ episodes instead of 13.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

karrethuun posted:

ROFL the "hacking" montages. Another hilarious episode, although I could do without the downer dad.

That was a loving cutting sendup on the accuracy of "exciting hacking sequences" (but while also explaining why that's necessary in a pretty funny way). Show's killing it. It's filled my Leverage-hole. :allears:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Despite my fear of being boo'd from this thread, I can't shake the feeling that a cross over w/ Elementary would be epic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Despite my fear of being boo'd from this thread, I can't shake the feeling that a cross over w/ Elementary would be epic.

Craig Sweeny DID used to write for Elementary...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dead Snoopy posted:

The plot implications would be too much. If Holmes cottoned on to the existence of NZT, he'd never let it go.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I was thinking of more of a partner exchange, where Brian & Watson would work half of the case while Holmes and Rebecca covered other leads.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Watson and Rebecca would spend the whole episode doing difficult police work and hunting down leads, Finch and Holmes would solve their part in about 5 minutes and then spend the rest of the episode doing crafts and experiments and playing with Clyde.

It would be the greatest hour of television ever made.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Holmes on NZT would be beyond a super human. He would solve every unsolved case in new York City history in a day.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Holmes seems like he's supposed to be akin to a Greek demigod, just instead of serving as a superhuman exemplification of the virtues of physical heroism, he exemplifies enlightenment era ideals of mind. If he came upon NZT, he'd be intractably fixated. He'd never concern himself with anything ever again.

He likes helping people, so the 'Pandora's Box' angle would ensnare him as NZT getting out would be worse than nuclear proliferation.

He's committed to elevating his mind, so the nootropic angle would ensnare him as NZT would bump him up to 'Minor Deity' and he'd never want to come down from there.

He's addicted to puzzles, so the elevated perceptions and capacities would open entirely new domains of thought he'd never want to leave. He'd build an Olympus, invent ambrosia (often depicted as conferring longevity or immortality upon whoever consumed it) and completely leave the show's format behind.

A Holmes that knows about NZT would never pursue anything else ever again, not until he had it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dead Snoopy posted:

I did briefly think that the Anonymous hacker collective on Elementary ("Everywhere") was the same on Limitless , but that lot's called "Everyone".

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've watched very little Elementary but here's a good asspull to dodge the NZT problem (not that this will ever happen) - Holmes already has smartbrains, so NZT can't make his smartbrains that much more smart. For people who are already geniuses you can just say it is only a minor benefit but retains the terrible side effects (and of course he won't know about the shot).

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 28, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Elementary worth watching I take it?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Holyshoot posted:

Yes.. Great characters, stories

and Clyde.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Personally, I'd rank it #2 in between Jeremy Brett's #1 and Cumberbatch's #3.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Anyone who has given Elementary a fair shake should honestly put Miller's Sherlock Holmes over Cumberbatch's, unless you absolutely, unconditionally love the BBC Sherlock for the pure spectacle of it or you have some weird Cumberbatch fetish.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like them both, equally, for incredibly different reasons.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Elementary is really, really good. Doubly so if you've ever dealt with or know someone who's dealt with addiction. But even apart from that the show is pretty fun, Liu and Miller are great fits for Watson/Holmes, and the two of them get some very natural and rewarding character progression that you usually don't see in 20+ episode procedurals on a major network. Plus some of the goofier crime-of-the-week episodes come pretty close to Limitless levels of fun, minus the visual flair of course.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Finally got around to catching up on the latest episode, I absolutely loved the tech montages. That cute kitten montage had to have saved some intern or low level writer a few hours of wikipedia time.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I love how they don't even bother trying to detail a lot of the nitty gritty parts that bog down other shows. Almost all procedure is eschewed in favor of being entertaining and I really appreciate that.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Accretionist posted:

Holmes seems like he's supposed to be akin to a Greek demigod, just instead of serving as a superhuman exemplification of the virtues of physical heroism, he exemplifies enlightenment era ideals of mind. If he came upon NZT, he'd be intractably fixated. He'd never concern himself with anything ever again.

He likes helping people, so the 'Pandora's Box' angle would ensnare him as NZT getting out would be worse than nuclear proliferation.

He's committed to elevating his mind, so the nootropic angle would ensnare him as NZT would bump him up to 'Minor Deity' and he'd never want to come down from there.

He's addicted to puzzles, so the elevated perceptions and capacities would open entirely new domains of thought he'd never want to leave. He'd build an Olympus, invent ambrosia (often depicted as conferring longevity or immortality upon whoever consumed it) and completely leave the show's format behind.

A Holmes that knows about NZT would never pursue anything else ever again, not until he had it.

Holmes is also an addict. It would be bad, and he'd probably kill himself with the effects except that of course he'd figure out everything about Morra and figure out how to get the shots.

I love this show (Limitless) - and I loved how when Finch's dad was showing him the box of stuff he was like "I guess I've always been arts and craftsy!" I love his little dioramas and clay figurines he makes for illustrating stuff. :D

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So was the most recent episode a midseason finale or something? Otherwise, where is my favorite new show? This is unacceptable :colbert:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shakugan posted:

So was the most recent episode a midseason finale or something? Otherwise, where is my favorite new show? This is unacceptable :colbert:

Nah, this gap's just for who knows what reason, the midseason finale's next week

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Allyn posted:

Nah, this gap's just for who knows what reason, the midseason finale's next week

They did this poo poo to Person of Interest for years, now they are doing it to one of their great new shows? God network execs are terrible. Like, really. A two week gap for no reason, then a mid season finale, then a gap for who knows how long? I don't understand how tv channels, that are typically so obsessed with ratings, don't seem to understand that putting random breaks in the middle of a show (particularly one that isn't purely procedural) isn't good for ratings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shakugan posted:

They did this poo poo to Person of Interest for years, now they are doing it to one of their great new shows? God network execs are terrible. Like, really. A two week gap for no reason, then a mid season finale, then a gap for who knows how long? I don't understand how tv channels, that are typically so obsessed with ratings, don't seem to understand that putting random breaks in the middle of a show (particularly one that isn't purely procedural) isn't good for ratings.

They only had a 13 episode order before getting extended. They've already aired 10. You have to give them time to produce the episodes. Almost all 22 episode shows either have one long break in the middle or multiple small ones because of production time. If you want them to actually make the show you have to deal with it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah if you think about it, call it 16 weeks off for the summer, then 52 - 16 = 36. For a 22-episode season that means 14 weeks off that they've gotta find somewhere. Also Sidereel has it returning January 5th, which, if accurate, is pretty good considering :)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The issues not the amount of break, but the randomness of the breaks. Casual viewers have very little patience. The show being off for 2 weeks without any real explanation, then on for one week, then off again for an extended period of time is confusing and hurts the ratings. It's much better to have the show run uninterrupted to mid season, at which point it came be made clear that it's coming back after an extended break. This limbo of "is the show still on or not???" is never a good thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are following the Disney Channel protocol.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This show returns tonight, and trust me, you do NOT want to miss this episode.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fwiw (nothing) I really like this show. Not enough to evangelize or anything but enough to be like, cool, thanks DVR I'll watch this while high.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
aw man I thought we were going to get a full Mike&Ike episode. Strike Team on NZT having a boys night out is about the only thing that could make up for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a real downer ending.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It was a real downer of an episode all-around, really. As soon as Casey's guys took those pills, things were always going to go badly. I like that the show isn't afraid to have downer episodes on occasion.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This show isn't afraid to flip the switch between fun and serious. Hoping the Doyle stuff gets resolved without any major shakeups, his stuff was sad to watch.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wish Casey had gotten away with the full stash.

Having someone also on NZT as an antagonist, but slowly running out of pills as they get worse and worse side effects could have been a fun arc.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shakugan posted:

I wish Casey had gotten away with the full stash.

Having someone also on NZT as an antagonist, but slowly running out of pills as they get worse and worse side effects could have been a fun arc.

Yeah, but it was also the expected arc, wasn't it? Depending on how things play out over the rest of the season, this might end up being the smartest play they could've made.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 16, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, but it was also the expected arc, wasn't it? Depending on how things play out over the rest of the season, this might end up being the smartest play they could've made.

IMO, it felt like a demonstration of things to come. Hard Boyled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After Flash and Shield on Tuesdays I usually call it a night, go do non-TV things. Judging from tonight's episode (the other shows are on break) I have been missing OUT.

• Locked thread