Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Is everyone excited for the livestream today??? I can't wait for the amazing thing that will be revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

There's an algorithm that looks for sharp changes in up/down votes. It's gamed by moderators at certain levels, but you can go after people. We got PGI into poo poo when they started to whitewash their MMO elevator pitch.

Check 'Controversial' before 'hot'. High numbers of up AND down votes. 'new' is just anything 'new', 'rising' is a small number of upvotes in a small time...Also change your setting to not hide things below a certain threshold.

gently caress it's like you kids never Slashdotted.

Nah I want the vanilla reddit experience - the one a likely huge majority of users get. If there are mechanisms at hand to easily correct its shittiness, it just begs the question of why they don't make the less lovely settings standard.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bushiz posted:

The reason it lists 9 different types of swimming and double counts languages and lists her Australian accent is because when casting agents are looking for people to a play bit characters for a scene where there's a swim meet in Australia, they want to be able to pull a huge file from those search parameters.

Sandi's triple MFA from Juliard will make sure she screams 'Crikey!' every time she comes up for breath.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

What is the name of the logical fallacy where someone presents you with like a dozen cases of poo poo behavior, and you say "Oh only a dozen out of 500k users? We're a great community!"

Because I am seeing that argument pop up more and more in reddit threads and I'd like to put a name to it.

I think it would be a bizarrely inverse anecdotal fallacy

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So I actually managed to play a little bit last night.

After a series of horrific crashes, my friend and I were able to best the launcher that seems to do everything in its power to stop you from playing with someone you know and spawned into Port Olisar. Framerates were an abysmal 12 until I slammed all the (one) settings to potato, and it became playable.

My buddy spawned a Retaliator. For some reason I was the only one that could get into it, he kept falling through the floor and ended up having to clip into a turret from the outside. Hilariously, at one point he was trying to EVA in and bumped the ship, setting off every single damage effect. Once he was in our flaming heap of poo poo, I quantum-jumped to the FPS castle or whatever. Some dude had parked his Gladiator on the side of the station, which left it still target-able, and we shrekt it with torpedoes which made him mad. At that point our Space-B17 became completely uncontrollable and tumbled into the station, getting stuck on one of the rings, so we hopped out and EVA'd down to the landing pads. The "gravity" kicks on about 30 feet above the pad and your character kind of tumbles down to a landing, which is funny. Some guys shot at us once we got inside, so we ran back out and stole their Super Hornet, which caused maximum salt. Then we spent the next thirty or so minutes spearing Auroras with a Constellation, which was amazing.

It's weird, the best/most fun parts of playing were the insane bugs/glitches and the complete lawlessness of it all, but it's almost like you can see the bones of something great underneath it all. I gotta admit, at one point I was walking around the inside of the Constellation while we flew around being retarded and I had a moment where I almost believed. Almost.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
I probably missed it but I remember there being one goony goon interested in competing in the Inagurial Benjamin J Lesnick memorial triple treat challenge triathlon.

I am prepared to offer a square Enix surprise box(or 10 bux on steam) for all competitors that apply the appropriate amount of effort into conquering it and provide interesting documentation of their efforts. Watching people commit seppuku is my fetish.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FrankieGoes posted:

Sandi is one of the big things that disgusts me about CIG. And also one of the (nearly infinite) things about their community that disgusts me. I interact regularly with VPs of 100+ million dollar enterprises and, from my experience, they DO NOT have the time to pursue an entire second career on nights and weekends. These people work their nuts (and, uh, labia? Not sure, but I don't want to be sexist) off. They send significant work related emails at 10 PM on a Saturday or 6 AM on a Sunday. They spend 60 hours a week in the office and then another 20 hours a week reading reports and responding to things and another 10 travelling to sites, etc. They also do not spend their time cleaning toilets at the office, because that's a massive waste of their time and the company's money, like a VP doing the 15 dollar an hour job of answering CS tickets. And they sure as poo poo wouldn't be proud of pissing away company money in this manner, such that they mention it regularly on twitter.

And they're not so stupid and inexperienced that they say poo poo like "I don't know why I'm just the VP of marketing, since no one is above me in marketing."

And the community part is so many of their retarded followers saying "It's a private company, they can have whoever they want as the VP of marketing, it's none of our business."

Which is total bullshit. It's a private company, but it's publicly funded. If this were an actual public company (which it essentially is, or at least legally should be) they'd probably have gotten reamed into oblivion by the SEC by now, and you can bet your rear end Sandi wouldn't be a VP. The only reason this is legal is because it's a relatively new frontier. If you start a private company with YOUR OWN MONEY then you can hire your loving dog to be the VP of marketing, it's your business and your problem. But that's not the case here. Which is the entire problem with crowd funding. Which I imagine will probably change in the future, assuming that CIG doesn't gently caress things up so massively that crowd funding video games practically ceases to even be a thing.

And the other community part is the dim bulbs saying, over and over, "Sandi is the best marketer on the planet! She made them 100m dollars! It proves she's amazing at her job!"

This game is sold on nostalgia, and CRs past productions (glossing over the movie and the last game, which every backer seems happy to do), and word of mouth. Sandi has fuckall to do with any of those three things. What's her amazing contribution to marketing been? Kickstarter? "Limited" ship sales? A never ending shitshow of podcasts? Yeah, takes a marketing genius to come up with all that.

Anyway, that's enough effort for the week, back to shitposting.

^this

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

Did anyone ever ask Derek's favorite music?

I imagine it's yacht rock for some reason.

Nope. It's any kind of jazz; but mostly smooth jazz. Second best would be contemporary music.

Once in a while I'd listen to Blues, old school R&B (Slacker rocks for this!). I'm not a fan of rock or rap. And I can barely tolerate reggae depending on who it is.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

I have a BS in Biological Sciences. I'm trying to find some of Sandi's published work but a google scholar search doesn't come up with anything relevant. Anybody have a link?

She doesn't have a degree. Of any kind. How many times do we have to tell you this?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

From the comments of an RPS article on ED Horizons.

I've not played a space sim in years but that description just sold me on Elite. If Elite truly has the atmosphere of being lost in space then I need to buy it now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

What kind of stupid motherfucker thinks that just giving one thousand dollars for a product should entitle them to be able to use that product? You don't understand the first thing about game development. Get out.

In other news, I have basically checked completely out of Star Citizen and am now having fun in Mechwarrior Online which feels like a complete and functional game by comparison.

And to think two weeks ago you had so much hope.

I keep on hearing MWO doesn't suck, and it scares me. Dare I play it again?

D_Smart posted:

Nope. It's any kind of jazz; but mostly smooth jazz. Second best would be contemporary music.

Once in a while I'd listen to Blues, old school R&B (Slacker rocks for this!). I'm not a fan of rock or rap. And I can barely tolerate reggae depending on who it is.

I totally had you pegged as a Major Lazer fan.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Have you listened to Jon Benjamin's new jazz album?

neonbregna posted:

I probably missed it but I remember there being one goony goon interested in competing in the Inagurial Benjamin J Lesnick memorial triple treat challenge triathlon.

I am prepared to offer a square Enix surprise box(or 10 bux on steam) for all competitors that apply the appropriate amount of effort into conquering it and provide interesting documentation of their efforts. Watching people commit seppuku is my fetish.

I can't decide if that's tempting because I like doing stupid poo poo or if I'm just really hungry right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

neonbregna posted:

So does it have to be me (alone), or can I make my kids do it? Those little monsters would destroy that puny pizza box (and wear the empty cardboard as armor) thing in short order.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sarsapariller posted:

What is the name of the logical fallacy where someone presents you with like a dozen cases of poo poo behavior, and you say "Oh only a dozen out of 500k users? We're a great community!"

Because I am seeing that argument pop up more and more in reddit threads and I'd like to put a name to it.

To be fair, goons do use this argument (automatic guilt by association being invalid is the argument) for the SA community and sometimes even within their specific SA sub-group all the time and, for the most part, relatively justifiably. The moreso actual question, though, is to what degree said 'poo poo behavior' actually went.

And I consider goon trashtalking, trolling and talking poo poo to be less severe than say...sending dick pics and getting rewarded for it, or blowing your life savings and getting divorced due to a videogame that doesn't exist and having enablers encourage you for it in an unfunny 'ha ha we iz totes just being ironic' sort of way.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 16, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seems a lot of poo poo/f2p devs are pulling their heads out of their asses for the holidays. Someone must have realized that bad design decisions mean little Timmy won't be getting much for Xmas.

The real question is: what will they gently caress up in spring?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

What size are those things? :ohdear:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My second favourite kind of music is contemporary music

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thor-Stryker posted:

Seems a lot of poo poo/f2p devs are pulling their heads out of their asses for the holidays. Someone must have realized that bad design decisions mean little Timmy won't be getting much for Xmas.

The real question is: what will they gently caress up in spring?

Actually MWO's rise to being "sorta not bad anymore" has been slow and steady. Once they fired Niko and bailed on IGP they actually started doing some work. The most recent additions are what is causing the surge in people saying it might be good again though - they ran another balance pass and it's brought back brawling to some degree.

Plus now there's Urbanmechs, which is pretty dope.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

What size are those things? :ohdear:

Website says two medium one topping pizzas.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And to think two weeks ago you had so much hope.

I am still cautiously optimistic but after two weeks or so I've exhausted what little gameplay there is to be had in this release. Trolling poor suckers solo is just no fun. I'll be back if/when they put out more.

MWO has improved incrementally over the past year and a half since I quit playing. The core game is more balanced, or maybe there are just too many people for the meta to have settled right now, but either way brawling is back. Lrms are still ineffective, and people still boat them. The main interface has received a lot of polish- it is still completely incomprehensible and looks like it was designed by aliens, but it is better than it used to be. Matchmaking and map selection have improved a ton, the new and redone maps seem to be a lot better thought out, Clans and Inner Sphere are no longer wildly different in terms of effectiveness, etc. etc.

The only remaining sticking points for me are the grind and the prices. Even with increased cbill rewards you're looking at close to 60 matches to buy a single clan heavy, or 20 hours of non stop gameplay. Make it 180/60 to get 3 chassis and master them. Or you could buy it for 40 bucks. Either way it's bullshit, and even after the recent steam release they are unlikely to maintain high player numbers for long if they don't do something about their price.

But yeah playing with goons has been a blast the last two days.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

For real though Sandi isn't a great person but y'all are calling an agency listing a resume and totally misinterpreting it.

The reason it lists 9 different types of swimming and double counts languages and lists her Australian accent is because when casting agents are looking for people to a play bit characters for a scene where there's a swim meet in Australia, they want to be able to pull a huge file from those search parameters.

I know some of y'all can't be that dumb

So it's like selling something on craigslist? You just throw a bunch of keywords up at the end and hope someone looks at it.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've played maybe 20 games or so since the Steam release (never played it prior). Its pretty fun but seems crazy grindy.

It costs ~15mil to fully outfit a solid mech and you get 0.1-0.2mil per game. Also you need to purchase and level up 3 versions of each mech (each costing the previously mentioned ~15mil) in order to get the "elite" talents for that mech.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
For those of you who keep asking about lawsuits etc, even after I had made a post about a key element (arbitration clause) in their ToS which is patently difficult to get around, thus zero chances of a class action suit...

Supreme Court Upholds Arbitration in DirectTV Case

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:ohnoes:

Apparently its bad to post on both Reddit & SA, and also totally normal for people to look up who is who and use that to denounce someone's criticism towards SC and it's community.

This is totally normal behavior for a player group, and not at all similar to the comments made in the Forbes article.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nyeehg posted:

I've not played a space sim in years but that description just sold me on Elite. If Elite truly has the atmosphere of being lost in space then I need to buy it now.

It's just like that. It's euro truck simulator in space with more shooting and now you can land on planets. The explorable galaxy is absolutely vast. Like some sort of parody of what people expect from a space game, only they really went and did it. It blew my mind when I first saw it so if you're interested in exploring space and literally finding things nobody else has encountered before and getting rewarded for it then this is the game for you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently its bad to post on both Reddit & SA, and also totally normal for people to look up who is who and use that to denounce someone's criticism towards SC and it's community.

This is totally normal behavior for a player group, and not at all similar to the comments made in the Forbes article.

I post on both, but I'm routed through a custom firewall that makes all of my reddit accounts appear to be Derek Smart alts.

RuckusRouser posted:

I've played maybe 20 games or so since the Steam release (never played it prior). Its pretty fun but seems crazy grindy.

It costs ~15mil to fully outfit a solid mech and you get 0.1-0.2mil per game. Also you need to purchase and level up 3 versions of each mech (each costing the previously mentioned ~15mil) in order to get the "elite" talents for that mech.

Yeah the grind and the monetization are brutal. One of the things we have heard that's coming down to alleviate that is a nerf to the benefits you'll get when you elite a chassis. It should help do away with the whole "have to buy three of each mech" thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

I am still cautiously optimistic but after two weeks or so I've exhausted what little gameplay there is to be had in this release. Trolling poor suckers solo is just no fun. I'll be back if/when they put out more.

MWO has improved incrementally over the past year and a half since I quit playing. The core game is more balanced, or maybe there are just too many people for the meta to have settled right now, but either way brawling is back. Lrms are still ineffective, and people still boat them. The main interface has received a lot of polish- it is still completely incomprehensible and looks like it was designed by aliens, but it is better than it used to be. Matchmaking and map selection have improved a ton, the new and redone maps seem to be a lot better thought out, Clans and Inner Sphere are no longer wildly different in terms of effectiveness, etc. etc.

The only remaining sticking points for me are the grind and the prices. Even with increased cbill rewards you're looking at close to 60 matches to buy a single clan heavy, or 20 hours of non stop gameplay. Make it 180/60 to get 3 chassis and master them. Or you could buy it for 40 bucks. Either way it's bullshit, and even after the recent steam release they are unlikely to maintain high player numbers for long if they don't do something about their price.

But yeah playing with goons has been a blast the last two days.

Yeah the grind is the main reason I lost interest. Obviously you can't blame the developers for wanting to monetize something but expecting me to play the equivalent of an entire game just to get a single mech is pretty poo poo.

As for SC, I suspect this is all the content we're going to see for quite some time. If history is any indicator AC 2.0 will largely be the same six months from now as it is today while CIG works on the Next Great Thing (SQ42) while neglecting the player base. Again.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

neonbregna posted:

2 mediums is doable, the question is do I want to sit on a toilet for a week for goon giggles.

One sausage pizza is:

Calories 2180 Calories from Fat 980

Total Fat 109g 168%
Saturated Fat 40g 200%
Trans Fat 2g
Cholesterol 200mg 67%
Sodium 4440mg 185%
Total Carbohydrates 218g 73%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Sugars 7g
Protein 83g

One pepperoni is:

Calories 1860 Calories from Fat 710

Total Fat 79g 122%
Saturated Fat 30g 150%
Trans Fat 2g
Cholesterol 145mg 48%
Sodium 4000mg 167%
Total Carbohydrates 217g 72%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Sugars 7g
Protein 83g

Death cookie:

Calories 1560 Calories from Fat 670

Total Fat 74g 114%
Saturated Fat 37g 185%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 105mg 35%
Sodium 790mg 33%
Total Carbohydrates 206g 69%
Dietary Fiber 10g 40%
Sugars 145g
Protein 17g

Sticks:

Calories 410 Calories from Fat 130

Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol < 5mg 1%
Sodium 780mg33%
Total Carbohydrates 58g 19%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 4g
Protein 13g

6010 Calories and enough fat to last you a week. I wonder what the best/worst case scenario would be...

This is making my chest hurt, I'm going to stop now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Beet Wagon posted:

Once they fired Niko

Wait, they did? Any funny story behind this, or was that piece of crap just quietly let go?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

drat, so close. I knew it had to be smooooth.

Now; Who's your favorite artist? What's the best Miles Davis album? Who's the "Star Citizen" of smooth jazz? These are the real questions that inquiring minds should have been asking since day 1.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

imperialparadox posted:

Wait, they did? Any funny story behind this, or was that piece of crap just quietly let go?

He got their entire company banned from reddit during their failed transverse kickstarter- he tried to get around the /r/mwo problem by making a new subreddit controlled by PGI, and then locked/deleted any negative thread, which is explicitly against reddit's rules.

That and a bunch of the usual stupid forums drama. But basically he was the fall guy- when they launched Transverse and the entire internet came out of the woodwork to poo poo on them, they realized "Oh hey our community hates us, maybe our community manager is bad at his job" and soon he was excited to announce his exciting new position, anywhere but PGI. That was also the point when they kind of sort of started to slowly turn the ship around. They launched the first iteration of community warfare a few months later (it was clear they'd not even touched it until that point), and over the last year they've been rolling back some of Paul's stupid mechanical decisions. Except for ghost heat- they still love ghost heat.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 16, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As for SC, I suspect this is all the content we're going to see for quite some time. If history is any indicator AC 2.0 will largely be the same six months from now as it is today while CIG works on the Next Great Thing (SQ42) while neglecting the player base. Again.

There's meant to be a patch with some new stuff this year, probably won't be much.

I dunno which way they'll go with 2.0, based on past behaviour you'd expect CIG to just gently caress around and keep promising things "soon". They do it all the time, unmelts were meant to be released in December, not that I care about unmelts but it just goes to show that missing release estimates for stuff has been so common nobody even comments on it anymore. I'm sure the Herald was just about to be released to the Hangar a full year ago but can't be arsed checking.

The lies/misleading statements have become too numerous to track, but time is running out and the gaming media is turning so they might make a concentrated effort to improve 2.0. This Javelin/Idris sale raises what they need for December with whatever other junk they sell. They have January's figures to worry about now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

To be fair, every time someone tells me he is posting on Reddit, my opinion of that person immediately goes down a bit, so it works both ways.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who was that MWO sperg who had a posting war to have his mumble/group for House Liao higher up on the forums "most recent" posts than the Goon one?

I remember him being a mod at one point there and was super "Grr Goons" over it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Why isn't 'topless gunslinger' on Sandi's resume?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

I only remember somebody laid an epic burn on him on twitter.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bushiz posted:

For real though Sandi isn't a great person but y'all are calling an agency listing a resume and totally misinterpreting it.

I know some of y'all can't be that dumb

"Spielberg is on the line, he's looking for a 'qualified marine biologist', what do we got on the books?"

Daztek posted:

Is everyone excited for the livestream today??? I can't wait for the amazing thing that will be revealed

If it's a game that doesn't run like loving rear end that'll be revolutionary. I don't know what's changed but when I tried Shart Shitizen a few days ago it was at least vaguely playable in a broken tech demo way. Now it just flat out doesn't loving work. It's like trying to run Crysis on a 386.

Chalks posted:

It's just like that. It's euro truck simulator in space with more shooting and now you can land on planets. The explorable galaxy is absolutely vast. Like some sort of parody of what people expect from a space game, only they really went and did it. It blew my mind when I first saw it so if you're interested in exploring space and literally finding things nobody else has encountered before and getting rewarded for it then this is the game for you.

Yeah it's p.cool for space madness. Plus when you discover a new planet or whatever it permanently tags it with your name, so make sure you choose a silly name.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unfunny Poster posted:

Who was that MWO sperg who had a posting war to have his mumble/group for House Liao higher up on the forums "most recent" posts than the Goon one?

I remember him being a mod at one point there and was super "Grr Goons" over it.

Metro of clan hot brother lover.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

He got their entire company banned from reddit during their failed transverse kickstarter- he tried to get around the /r/mwo problem by making a new subreddit controlled by PGI, and then locked/deleted any negative thread, which is explicitly against reddit's rules.

That and a bunch of the usual stupid forums drama. But basically he was the fall guy- when they launched Transverse and the entire internet came out of the woodwork to poo poo on them, they realized "Oh hey our community hates us, maybe our community manager is bad at his job" and soon he was excited to announce his exciting new position, anywhere but PGI. That was also the point when they kind of sort of started to slowly turn the ship around. They launched the first iteration of community warfare a few months later (it was clear they'd not even touched it until that point), and over the last year they've been rolling back some of Paul's stupid mechanical decisions. Except for ghost heat- they still love ghost heat.

What is ghost heat? Which is the best mech that's available to buy on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tarkaroshe

go gently caress yourself

• Locked thread