Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Here's the description of the FL technique for shelling a raw (lightly poached) lobster: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/french-laundry-techniques-for-cooking-lobster

I think you could put them all in the same bag after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Use cuticle scissors, snip the claws open.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Jan posted:

Regarding the Anova and condensation issues, how do those normally manifest? My girlfriend was thrilled about how I love my Precision, so she got the One while it was on sale. But she just tried making some beef short ribs and the One keeps spitting out "System error" within 15-45 minutes every time. She tried a bunch of different things and it sounds like the main common factor is that it errors out as soon as steam starts coming up through her cambro's lid. Compared to that, I was able to do a 24 hour cook on my Precision using nothing but cling film around the circulator.

I have an Anova One. I've done 72 hour cooks in a pot with no lid and in a cooler with a hole cut in the lid. I've done 7 hour short ribs at 88* C, where the bag starts to puff up from steam. I have never had a problem with steam affecting my circulator, I think you have a defective unit.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Whiskey Sours posted:

I have an Anova One. I've done 72 hour cooks in a pot with no lid and in a cooler with a hole cut in the lid. I've done 7 hour short ribs at 88* C, where the bag starts to puff up from steam. I have never had a problem with steam affecting my circulator, I think you have a defective unit.

Yeah, I haven't had trouble with my Precision either, even with a 48 hour cook with the top sealed off in clingfoil.

This whole thing just has been a lovely experience for her, from being dinged by shipping plus customs only to find out it's a bad unit. I hope Anova's service is as good as I've been hearing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jan posted:

This whole thing just has been a lovely experience for her, from being dinged by shipping plus customs only to find out it's a bad unit. I hope Anova's service is as good as I've been hearing.

From my experience it was. I emailed them on Saturday about my One not heating anymore, 2-3 back and forth emails and I had a fedex return label to print and slap on the box last night.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just based on their customer service (which I haven't had to deal with but I've read a lot about) I'm more inclined to buy my next sous vide from Anova.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sansaire was very good to me as well. They cross shipped a new unit when my Kickstarter unit failed over a year after I got it.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I think it is a design flaw in the current stick machines. If it is going to sit above steaming water the top part should have some sort of water resistance to protect against it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

dalstrs posted:

I think it is a design flaw in the current stick machines. If it is going to sit above steaming water the top part should have some sort of water resistance to protect against it.

It's the delicate balance between keeping the electronics cool and keeping condensation out without using ugly/expensive heatsinks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

deimos posted:

It's the delicate balance between keeping the electronics cool and keeping condensation out without using ugly/expensive heatsinks.

Or they could hang the delicate parts to the side and not directly over the wet heat.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

deimos posted:

Pretty sure they have a coating that can cover circuit boards and give water protection. We do it all the time with automotive parts.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

dalstrs posted:

Pretty sure they have a coating that can cover circuit boards and give water protection. We do it all the time with automotive parts.

Then they don't cool properly and they burn up.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm about to cook some short ribs for 72 hours. Now the ribs come in a vacuum sealed package and I would like to just throw that in my puddle, especially since I'd be using ziplocks otherwise.
Any reasons I shouldn't?

Here is a picture of what the package looks like. http://imgur.com/6HE7OIA

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

never happy posted:

I'm about to cook some short ribs for 72 hours. Now the ribs come in a vacuum sealed package and I would like to just throw that in my puddle, especially since I'd be using ziplocks otherwise.
Any reasons I shouldn't?

I think the only concern is whether that material is designed to be heated for long periods of time or if it will give your meat cancer.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

EvilBeard posted:

Then they don't cool properly and they burn up.

How come this doesn't happen in auto parts?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

dalstrs posted:

How come this doesn't happen in auto parts?

Auto parts that get wet tend not to be fine electronic PCBs. The conformal coating used on PCBs for an immersion cooker would act like an insulator unless you put an additional external heatsink on the chip, which wouldn't get any airflow since it's inside the unit. One strategy that kitchen appliances use for their heat exchange is to mount the heat source on the inside of the metal housing, and then seal that compartment from moisture/air... That wouldn't work so great for a heating device that sits over a pot of hot water. I'm sure cost played a big factor in their design choices though.

Personally I have two Anovas that I use ~1-2 times per week and they're both running strong.

I'm still wondering what happened to the goon-related Mellow that was supposed to come out mid-this-year

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The mellow comes out mid-2016, not mid-2015

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

never happy posted:

Any reasons I shouldn't?

I managed to get a hold of someone who manages the processing, and he said not to do it. His concern was that when it heats up it might rip. So I ended up with the zippys

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Bravo posted:

The mellow comes out mid-2016, not mid-2015

Yeah, I'm thinking that new release date is a slip from the original plans but I could be wrong. Then again pretty much every kickstarter ever has been late.

http://www.cnet.com/products/fnv-labs-mellow/

quote:

This will be an expensive small appliance when it first hits retail. FNV Labs says Mellow will sell for $500 when it goes to larger distribution. It hasn't worked out the timing, nor the retailers for its wide availability yet, although a discounted $400 version is available for pre-order today by way of a limited production run set to ship in 2015 (a clever promotion that gives you a $20 discount for every referral that also places an order could see a few people get a unit for free).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got my first pack of meatglue today and it's like a solid block in the bag instead of a powder like I thought it would be. I haven't actually opened it yet because I won't be using it until next week but is that normal or did something go terribly wrong? How long does it stay good after opening?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not normal, but who knows, maybe it's still good.

Stick it in the freezer before you open it.

Crumple it up to break up the brick.

Open the bag.

Test to see if it's good or not using the Dave Arnold method: rub a bunch on some raw chicken. If it smells like wet dog, it's good!

Take the rest of the bag, squeeze out all the air, close it up (assuming it has a zip lock) and stick it in the freezer. Should be good for up to one year, two years if unopened. If you have a FoodSaver and a mason jar adapter, maybe use that instead and vacuum it in a mason jar. Imagine that your meat glue's life is measured in minutes spent out of the freezer, so don't keep it out any longer than necessary.

When you use it on meat, be a little generous, powder your meat as if it's a cake and you're dusting cocoa powder on it (don't go nuts tho). Hold it together with saran wrap for 4 hours, voila: you have pigbeefducken.

Also, glue some cheese to a cooked egg and make it curse its existence.

More info:
http://www.cookingissues.com/transglutaminase-aka-meat-glue/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 17, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So it was a bag in a bag, both vacuum sealed, which is why it seemed like a hard block.

My other question...Meat Glue does it's magic in the fridge right? Not when it's cooking. I'm using it to try and improve my turchetta.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From the article: "Try to get all gluing and forming done within 20-30 minutes and then allow the product to remain undisturbed in the refrigerator for 4 hours or more"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody tried "smoked" beef brisket sous vide? I've been dying to get a smoker, but I figured I'd try some brisket using my Anova. It's a shame Brisket is so expensive.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Brisket should be relatively cheap (almost the cheapest cut), not expensive.... But maybe it's different where you live, I guess.

It's been a while since I've done a brisket, but from what I remember, I liked it cooked at 166 degrees. I tried one at 133 and it basically came out like prime rib, nothing like brisket. Tried 150 and that wasn't satisfactory either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I haven't tried :airquote:barbecue:airquote: in sous vide yet, but it sounds like you get a good tasting product, but that it's different from actual barbecue. Real BBQ loses moisture and cooks meat differently.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just smoke brisket normally.

The best brisket that I've found for sous vide is corned beef brisket that's like 99c a pound the week after St Patrick's Day. So god drat good with a 72 or so hour cook.

Corned beef is still the best thing that I've made sous vide. Here's a few thousand words on it:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you want a cheap smoker, get a Webber kettle grill and a Smokenator

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Brisket should be relatively cheap (almost the cheapest cut), not expensive.... But maybe it's different where you live, I guess.

It's been a while since I've done a brisket, but from what I remember, I liked it cooked at 166 degrees. I tried one at 133 and it basically came out like prime rib, nothing like brisket. Tried 150 and that wasn't satisfactory either.

I ended up trying a "sweet and sour" brisket, sous vide for 48 hours at 154 per Chef Steps. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I ended up trying a "sweet and sour" brisket, sous vide for 48 hours at 154 per Chef Steps. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I can't find their sweet and sour recipe, but I did find a standard "smoked" style one (looks pretty good, I want to try it now). It suggests 154 also, but then there's 3-4 hours in an oven; I'm guessing this gets the internal temp high enough to get the usual brisket texture.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

when Arby's came out with brisket sandwiches, they actually drove the market up on brisket. It's more expensive than it used to be.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Brisket used to be $1-$1.50/lb. Then this whole BBQ is awesome thing happened about 3 years ago, now Brisket is $2.98+/lb.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
$5-6/lb and up in the northwest. Sucks.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

$5-6/lb in the southeast too. And that's restaurant depot pricing. Go to an ordinary grocery store (butchers are dead here) and it's closer to $7/lb.

E: it's really weird seeing $6.99/lb brisket, tri tip and flank right next to $9.99/LB rib roast or NY strip steaks.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 21, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
All beef is through the roof. In 2009 I had a lovely job, so if I had any red meat, it was the cheapest cut -- chuck steak at $0.99/lb. Inflation should make it $1.11 now . . . just kidding, it's about $5 near me now.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-is-beef-so-expensive-this-year-1720868551

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ranchers have found it more profitable to raise heritage breeds of pork, like Duroc or Berkshire. Quicker turnaround than cattle too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anyone have advise on time/temp for sirloin roast? My mom wants me to do a turkey roulade from a leftover bird from thanksgiving, so since that's taking up oven space I'm going to SV a second protein.

It looks like most people seem to be recommending ~12-24h at 130-140. Sweet spot seems to be around 133 for 12-14h. Texturally, what does this end up being? Something approaching steak texture, or is it more like a magically medium-rare pot roast?

For all the SV I do, it's always boring quick cooks for convenience. I've never really experimented with long duration on slightly tougher cuts.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I'm doing pork ribs via this recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab.html . 165/12 hours seems too hot and/or too long to me, but Kenji hasn't steered me wrong yet. Anyone mind weighing in?

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Squinty posted:

I'm doing pork ribs via this recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab.html . 165/12 hours seems too hot and/or too long to me, but Kenji hasn't steered me wrong yet. Anyone mind weighing in?

I do 150/24 and they always come out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squinty posted:

The recipe you just quoted said 145 for 36 hours or 165 for 12. Pick one.