Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Elan Sleazebaggano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Illinois Smith posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano

I laughed as hard as they did.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Does he sell Deathstix?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Illinois Smith posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano

What you should get for your kids for X-mas

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Epi...n+Sleazebaggano

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

quote:

He's a great addition to anybody's collection and is fun to play with

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Fun fact about dumb Star Wars names: In Brazil they had to change both this name and Count Dooku because to portuguese speakers they sound like, respectively, "fucks himself" and "from the rear end in a top hat".

Not even joking

Also Episode I had a dude call Panaka, which can be roughly translated as "dumbass".

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 15, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

precision posted:

You're fuckin' a legless shaved Ewok - IF YOU'RE LUCKY!

That bit is so great.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I do like how Jupin's version of Old Man Lars kinda veers into Sam Kinison when he goes crazy.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Illinois Smith posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano

Hearing Andrew's reaction to finding out that guy's name for the first time, it was like Christmas.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It's great because it sounds like a dumb name Steve would make up for a background character. But nope, Lucas got there first and he has the action figure to prove it.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 15, 2015

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Illinois Smith posted:

It's great because it sounds like a dumb name Steve would make up for a background character. But nope, Lucas got there first and he has the action figure to prove it.

It's up there with the Sgt. Slaughter lookalike actually being Sgt. Slaughter

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I love the terrible names Lucas comes up with. Here's more examples:

quote:

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

quote:

When Fracture was revealed to the public, its protagonist was a character named Mason Briggs. By the time the game launched, his name was changed to Jet Brody. A person who helped give this gun-toting rebel his original name recalls going through weeks of naming conventions. “Literally, whole teams sitting together, brainstorming what looks good – the first name, the last name, etc. Done, good to go.”

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

From here.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
That is one of the funniest WHM ever. Holy poo poo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

As a guy who isn't all that familiar with Lucas' process or anything outside the movies (I think I've seen all six exactly once) this stuff always knocks me speechless.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Marin Karin posted:

From here.

The Force Unleashed was terrible and I fully support Lucas making fun of their fanfiction-level writing and them taking it 100% seriously.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jar Jar (Snoke) hates Sand People

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I picked up the Sith commentary track, and boy it was phenomenal. I never realized how many loving urns and lamps are in the background.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I can't wait for them to do an ep on Man's Best Friend. I'd forgotten that movie existed but it is seriously worth watching.

Along with the acid pee there is an implied dog sex scene where the protagonist(?) dog has his way with a collie and oh god the sounds it makes :stare:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

MariusLecter posted:

I can't wait for them to do an ep on Man's Best Friend. I'd forgotten that movie existed but it is seriously worth watching.

Along with the acid pee there is an implied dog sex scene where the protagonist(?) dog has his way with a collie and oh god the sounds it makes :stare:

BMFcast did a fantastic episode for Man's Best Friend. They have a series of hysterical meltdowns, as half the hosts were rooting for the dog to the disbelief and frustration of the other half.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I picked up the Sith commentary track, and boy it was phenomenal. I never realized how many loving urns and lamps are in the background.

Does it work as a listen with out the movie?

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011
For some reason the new commentary is showing up as costing $9.99 on iTunes. You can keep it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OurIntrepidHero posted:

For some reason the new commentary is showing up as costing $9.99 on iTunes. You can keep it.

It's only 3 bucks on CDBaby!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

OurIntrepidHero posted:

For some reason the new commentary is showing up as costing more than zero dollars on iTunes. You can keep it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

OurIntrepidHero posted:

Yeah they said on the reddit it had to do with it being over an "album length" or something and iTunes won't change it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Complaining about dumb poo poo lucas came up with and then praising a comic with DARK C3PO and DARK R2D2 in one breath, wow
Yoda impressions are the best though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fatherboxx posted:

Complaining about dumb poo poo lucas came up with and then praising a comic with DARK C3PO and DARK R2D2 in one breath, wow

DARK C3PO and DARK R2D2 are rad as hell.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm sure some things work, but I've never watched a commentary without the film.

OurIntrepidHero posted:

All of their commentaries are 99 cents on Google Play.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It does in some parts, because they are talking about Star Wars things. But they laugh at things that happen on screen, that unless you have the movie memorized, you don't know what they are laughing at, or what they are referring to when they go "look at that" or whatever. Plus there are moments where there are like 4-5 seconds of silence because they are either listening to dialog or there is nothing to comment on.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fatherboxx posted:

DARK R2D2: *beep-boop BREEP!*

DARK C3PO: Okay R2, let's murder them!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm sure some things work, but I've never watched a commentary without the film.

All of their commentaries are 99 cents on Google Play.

I do most of my movie watching on the train, and podcast listening while I bike, so a nice 2 hour recording would be great.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

I would say no, a lot of the jokes are about objects or people in the frame that they only refer to in context.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
If anyone is on the fence, the Sithmentary is pretty fantastic. It completely changed my mind on the movie, vis a vis it being terrible.

They get so loving mad whenever Obi-Wan's stupid lizard bird thing shows up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Slantedfloors posted:

If anyone is on the fence, the Sithmentary is pretty fantastic. It completely changed my mind on the movie, vis a vis it being terrible.

They get so loving mad whenever Obi-Wan's stupid lizard bird thing shows up.

That lizard thing sorta sums up my issues with the PT.

The idea of Obi-wan using some sort of animal to get around is fine. It contrasts with the droids using mechanical things to get around, and it CAN look cool. But that fuckin lizard. It's way to big to be practically used as a ride. The noises it makes are so loving obnoxious, if I were Obi-wan I'd have killed that thing the second I got on it.

That's the PT for me in a nutshell: Not bad ideas just executed in the worst way imaginable.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Once again, if you want the guys to actually get your money for this buy it on CD Baby.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Am I the only one who is kinda glad they cut down on the use of film audio during the show? It always kinda felt annoying to me, like it ground everything to a halt. It happened way too much in the very early episodes.

The early episodes are great and all, but I feel like the show fully hits it's stride at Battle for Endor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

centaurtainment posted:

I would say no, a lot of the jokes are about objects or people in the frame that they only refer to in context.

Eh I gave it a listen while I commuted today. Not too bad really.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

So how is that comic?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

OldTennisCourt posted:

Am I the only one who is kinda glad they cut down on the use of film audio during the show? It always kinda felt annoying to me, like it ground everything to a halt. It happened way too much in the very early episodes.

The early episodes are great and all, but I feel like the show fully hits it's stride at Battle for Endor.

It's great when used when absolutely necessary. Them only talking about the Tuff Turf music instead of letting me hear it would have been tragic.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm also glad other people agreed that Batman Forever is a much worse film than B&R.

weekly font posted:

It's great when used when absolutely necessary. Them only talking about the Tuff Turf music instead of letting me hear it would have been tragic.

Yeah, when you use it for poo poo like that or suitably insane moments of dialogue it works, but early on it seemed like they did it for no real reason. Like mentioning Renagade and then playing the a chunk of the opening for the show.

Jack Mack was a delight by the way

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Eh I gave it a listen while I commuted today. Not too bad really.

Have you listened to it while watching the movie as well, or just audio-only?