Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Boxing day sale might bring them a couple of million easily, not sure how long it'll last for, I'd guess a week or 10 days, everyone spending the money they got for Christmas.

I think Citizens are going to be impressed, will be interesting to see if they can fix the crashes and the extreme clipping issues. I wonder what's happening with FPS stuff, if they aren't going to acknowledge that all the Illfonic work got chucked then they need to recreate it all, I assume they'll have the weapons, explosions etc they can reuse but there's a lot they have to do in the first half of next year with 2.0 and SQ42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4zj8/souhhow_are_they_going_to_make_earth/

A Citizen posted:

Yes. That is their stated plan. The odds are that earth itself will be almost entirely crafted. Other worlds will be a mix of both, with crafted areas around landing zones and points of interest on the surface, joined by procedurally generated "wilderness"

Congratulations Chris. Your game survives another day and all you had to commit to, in Citizen's minds, was crafting the entire loving planet earth.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So, has anyone logged into Chris's account since we've got his name and password?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

So, has anyone logged into Chris's account since we've got his name and password?

I tried but there was something wrong with my computer. It was working fine just moments before but every time I try to star citizen something goes wrong with it. Bad computer.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SelenicMartian posted:

Aww, she's so fired.
If (REDACTED) survived the Eyeroll of Ultimate Disgust when standing right behind Sandi on RtV (even though it got noted here), I think Cherie might survive an endearing expression of love to fans in Sandi's presence...

(Edit: upon much later reflection, felt the rest was unfair.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 12, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4zj8/souhhow_are_they_going_to_make_earth/

Congratulations Chris. Your game survives another day and all you had to commit to, in Citizen's minds, was crafting the entire loving planet earth.

I love that a real human with a real human brain actually typed that and thought "yeah that's a reasonable thing to expect" and hit submit on their post. Holy gently caress. SC has gone for the obvious and practical route of procedurally generating basically barren rockey planets because anything else is going to be infeasible, and SC fans think this means they must be pouring all their efforts into hand crafting the entire planet earth.

This thing can't come tumbling down soon enough.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

Now I post this adorable gif whenever octopode posts

this is adorable

:rip: when Sandi sees you stealing her thunder

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

G0RF posted:

If Thomas survived the Eyeroll of Ultimate Disgust when standing right behind Sandi on RtV (even though it got noted here), I think Cherie might survive an endearing expression of love to fans in Sandi's presence...

I didnt see that one

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

This Star Citizen thing is for the birds.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yes you're very clever being able to connect identical usernames across 2 different websites. *pats your head*

Assuming Star Citizen is amazing, you just know somebody will remember your name and you'll get shot for laughs right? Get your seven ships stolen and all that. If you want to defend the game nobody is stopping you but this snarky disapproval of what's being posted isn't logical. Nothing said here is going to affect the outcome, good game or bad, if it's good you'll get shot and laughed at, if it's bad you still get laughed at and probably shot for a while till people stop playing. If they go bust you'll slink off and try to forget you ever posted here.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

spacetoaster posted:

That poor girl in the bottom right doesn't have long. Get out now!

She is the HR head that reports into Sandi, she has been around for years now. Things I know.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sarsapariller posted:

Ha ha ha ha. Just filling in the blanks in their own minds already.

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yes you're very clever being able to connect identical usernames across 2 different websites. *pats your head*

That's a pretty lame response, but ignoring that. What did you think of the savior of PC gaming getting annoyed at his own tech demo release which he obviously does not normally touch?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sorla78 posted:

She is the HR head that reports into Sandi, she has been around for years now. Things I know.

That would explain the slightly worn-out expression.
Lots to do around christmas time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Chris, if I can walk into my house in SC, I will buy all your jpegs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

If God could do it in 6 days, it shouldn't take Chris more than a couple of hours, tops.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Just as soon as we've finished with all the ships, alien languages, 100 systems and all their stations, all the supporting mechanics for everything we've promised like salvage, exploration, trade, piracy, a loving news van, the economics of the universe, multicrew, drink dispenser minigame and made the engine not run like total poo poo we'll get right on with building the entire loving planet earth.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

alphabettitouretti posted:

Just as soon as we've finished with all the ships, alien languages, 100 systems and all their stations, all the supporting mechanics for everything we've promised like salvage, exploration, trade, piracy, a loving news van, the economics of the universe, multicrew, drink dispenser minigame and made the engine not run like total poo poo we'll get right on with building the entire loving planet earth.

Don't forget the loving birds. I want to buy a spaceship jpg that facilitates my dreams of being a space birdwatcher.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

If God could do it in 6 days, it shouldn't take Chris more than a couple of hours, tops.

…and, completely inexplicably, Cambridge will be modelled as a smouldering nuke crater.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I'm watching Chris play now, and it's as magnificent as you guys said it would be.

The CEO and creater of the game just relentlessly bashing the dumb interface in his own drat game. :allears:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Don't forget the loving birds. I want to buy a spaceship jpg that facilitates my dreams of being a space birdwatcher.

Didn't you see the space news van, it'd be perfect :v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Daztek posted:

Didn't you see the space news van, it'd be perfect :v:

Boom! Variant of the space news van. That's another 150$ ship my friend. Good work.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Gryphon0468 posted:

Is this what its like to be trolled? I am trolled and rethinking my lifechoice to join somethingawfuldotcom

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SquirrelGrip posted:

i like my video games like my life; shaky, empty, prone to crashes, financially crippling and everyone wants to kill me

Any sufficiently advanced game is indistinguishable from life.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Cao Ni Ma posted:

May god have mercy on your bowels Verus

This is the first time I have ever regretted making pancakes for breakfast.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod80301&categoryId=cat3910198

INDUSTRIAL TOOL CHEST 4-DOOR MEDIA

A circa 1900 toolbox from a French automobile factory inspired our expanded version, perfectly suited to life as a console or sideboard today.

72"W x 18"D x 28"H - Special $1515 ea

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Just the thing for those tools.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

The "in atmosphere flight" looks identical to spaceflight. Does this really add anything more to the gameplay except a slightly different background behind the UI? I mean there isn't any point to exploring the planet or even buggies to drive around on the surface is there?
That "planet" is less than 1/3rd of the diameter of the moon, so it isn't large enough to hold an atmosphere. Such realism!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Kakarot posted:

I didnt see that one
"Presto-chango-- watch me make this post incriminating somebody disappear!"

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

G0RF posted:

We deleted the pics when we realized it might really get him in trouble. He seems like one of the good guys so nobody wants that to happen. Or happen again, I mean.

But by bringing it up again, you might've assured him getting fired again! :tinfoil:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

But by bringing it up again, you might've assured him getting fired again! :tinfoil:
What are you talking about? I didn't bring anything up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

I dunno, I've mentioned those horrible and disturbing messages Disco Lando sent me about Sandi, how much he hates her and a load of unbelievable stuff he says that she does and he hasn't been fired.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll admit; the tech is really loving cool.

It's not. Smoke and mirrors. I'm actually tweeting about that right now after watching it again several times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

quote:

of course it's impressive. tech demos tend to do just that. it's what they're designed for

it's all smoke and mirrors. as an engineer who has done this all before, I tell CLEARLY how they're faking it

it's quite easy to tell if you know what you're looking for. e.g. how the camera is fixed on planet view

notice how the camera flies away from the bldgs before zooming out to space

If it had zoomed from planet->space no way in hell CryEngine would've handled that level of fidelity at scale

Go take a look at Battlescape Infinity videos again

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AP posted:

I dunno, I've mentioned those horrible and disturbing messages Disco Lando sent me about Sandi, how much he hates her and a load of unbelievable stuff he says that she does and he hasn't been fired.

Good thing that one got removed. Disco's indispensable in my eyes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

It's not. Smoke and mirrors. I'm actually tweeting about that right now after watching it again several times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

Go take a look at Battlescape Infinity videos again

poo poo, they almost had me there. Thank you for keeping us on the straight and narrow.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

You had a near death experience?

lmao

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

They literally spent more time with Crobberts playing the old PTU while being unable to fly, unable to get the joystick working, unable to connect to the internet, unable to login, revealing his password live, restarting his computer, hard lock his computer, and leave in frustration showing us a swiveling empty seat, than the did with the "new tech".

3 hours of my life I will never get back

Yes. Pretty much.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Acquilae posted:

this is adorable

I wonder if she's doing that because she knows we know-- like a prisoner of war blinking in Morse code when being used in propaganda videos...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Why are they showing this? The only thing this does is confirm that Chris has never actually played his own loving game.

I mean, you've got nothing at all, but don't somehow make it worse!
I first starting to pay attention to Star Citizen after that DFM Reveal airhorn video in April 2014. I laughed at the ridiculousness of it all but I felt embarrassed for Chris. When he says "I swear it was working when I left", I've been working on software for 20 years and I've had that happen to me a couple of times, I wanted a hole to open in the ground so I could disappear. "What if things really were working when he left the office, poor guy how humiliating". A lot of water has gone under the bridge but even after all this time if you had loving told me that on December 16th TYOOL 2015 Chris loving Roberts didn't play his game I would still demand proof before believing it. Frankly to me this puts this whole thing into scam territory. This motherfucker isn't even bothering to play the poo poo he's peddling to the rubs. A visionary game developer that can't even start his own game. :gary:

And HOW do they continue to systematically gently caress up these live events? Either they are truly spectacularly incompetent or this really is the best product they have to show. Either way... $100 million. :gary:

Acquilae posted:

this is adorable

Whenever she gets a moment on camera she turns a little charm, she'll have no problem getting work when this blows up because she effortlessly projects an image of friendliness to coworkers and backers. She's much better at marketing than Sandi is what I'm saying.

Nicholas posted:

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod80301&categoryId=cat3910198

INDUSTRIAL TOOL CHEST 4-DOOR MEDIA

A circa 1900 toolbox from a French automobile factory inspired our expanded version, perfectly suited to life as a console or sideboard today.

72"W x 18"D x 28"H - Special $1515 ea
Hahaha, the amount of money they've spent at that company is unbelievable. Someone is getting fed from this trough.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nomenclature posted:

From Sandi's Facebook:

Oh good. Come next year, we can start crossing off names. Archive that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

G0RF posted:

"Presto-chango-- watch me make this post incriminating somebody disappear!"

does anyone have any idea what this guy is on about?

• Locked thread