Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

This bit made me lol where they faded from a video to Chris without sound, then to the ATV studio desk, and they didn't know they were live for quite a few seconds.

Their livestreams and shows make Bruce Wagner of OnlyOneTV look professional.

sweet directors chair chris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Please show me how to load the game that I wrote."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you go into this a bit more? I'm trying to understand what about the reveal, particularly the live demonstration, indicates they're not being honest.

I mentioned in an earlier post where I was copying and pasting my tweets about the same subject. I am not going to waste my time writing any more technical bullshit because I just get yelled at because apparently nobody gives a poo poo about that around here. So when I get around to it, I will write it up on my blog page and post the link.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

sweet directors chair chris

Hahaha, well spotted.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Because some nasty, evil, faithless, heathen cur might hold them to it…

^this

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The funniest thing about Chris hating the chat so much is that I'm pretty sure you can easily enter it just by pressing enter.

Also if you want to hear him rail about it yourself, click here and skip to 2:37:40. It's amazing.

He blames Ben immediately!

"It was Ben's brilliant idea [to sit down and play online with you guys]"

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I mentioned in an earlier post where I was copying and pasting my tweets about the same subject. I am not going to waste my time writing any more technical bullshit because I just get yelled at because apparently nobody gives a poo poo about that around here. So when I get around to it, I will write it up on my blog page and post the link.

Grandpa needs a nap.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SwoleNerd posted:

Reddit trying to justify the SQ42/PU split as "always part of the plan" is some jaw dropping revisionism.

Check out this clown who says "early backers have already gotten both games" without a hint of irony or awareness of what a released game looks like https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4l8v/star_citizen_and_squadron_42_will_be_separated/cy1jmxq

Seriously, they're not even trying not to be dumb shits anymore

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In the orbit-to-ground transition clips, did it seem to anyone else that the space station was "orbiting" a few hundred meters above the surface of that world, and that the atmosphere was a few tens of meters thick? Even if you go straight down, it takes more than 30 seconds to leave low Earth orbit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mdxi posted:

In the orbit-to-ground transition clips, did it seem to anyone else that the space station was "orbiting" a few hundred meters above the surface of that world, and that the atmosphere was a few tens of meters thick? Even if you go straight down, it takes more than 30 seconds to leave low Earth orbit.

It's just like I said, Killzone 2's tech demo was very impressive and not a hoax or fabrication at all.

Everything is fine, everything is normal. Carry on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mdxi posted:

Pff. Only if you have such silly concerns such as a rational wish not to explode and burn up. But of course, since this is a physics-based space sim (apparently?), you wouldn't need to be concerned about any of that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I Greyhound posted:

Steampunk Santa rolling in at 2:31:10, please!

e: There are so many opportunities to shoop this vid. lol

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

Why would they take it down?

Because we've always been at war with Eastasia.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This motherfucker can't even log in to play his own game and people keep giving him money?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

I disagree with you on this. If they were smart about it they could easily drag this on for years. Even if they are dumb they should easily make it through the drier patches until the next big sale, a minimum of 18 months if nothing spectacular happened. I admit though that I can't make heads or tails of their actions, they have ramped the money grabbing to 11 and everything they do screams desperation but there is no way they could have blown through most of $100 million is there? Even if they had, unless they had committed to further expenses beyond the normal development costs they should be able to bring in $30 million per year without too much effort. It's too big to fail at this point, they'll have no lack of whales willing to throw in good money after bad in a dire spot so why this desperate money grab?

They have around $11m. Plus whatever they make this holiday period.

They will run out of cash by the end of Q1/16.

They will start making cuts in January.

From this point forward, they are not going to be able to make the $3m average per month to sustain this development.

I don't believe that Chris will wait until he only has a month of money left before he bails. He's smarter than that.

All the signs are there.

That poo poo with Sandi talking about the search for CitizenCon venues? Well, I'll let you figure that one out. To me, it was precisely done to send the message that they're going to be around until end of 2016.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

mdxi posted:

That's the scale they're building on. The planets are tiny. The systems are tiny. Everything is tiny.

It gets really incongruous at times too. Someone posted a gif of a ship flying around a moon, and a shadow from a nearby space station covers the moon entirely.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

RunAndGun posted:

When did you first pledge? I'm just wondering what version of the TOS you fall under. (Not that that's any justification, that refund denial was bullshit anyways.)

mid 2013, a time long ago, when CIG looked like they were competent and there was a chance of a good game.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

How did they not think to do a dry run or two before doing it live?

It's almost like the company is incapable of planning ANYTHING.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

"Please show me how to load the game that I wrote."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He blames Ben immediately!

"It was Ben's brilliant idea [to sit down and play online with you guys]"

ben was beaten severly after this

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

ben was beaten severly after this

Only until the morale improved.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"gently caress this poo poo. I'm going home."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

"gently caress this poo poo. I'm going home."

I

I dont

I dont even know what this is

is this the game

holy gently caress guys really? I told you what to make why did you think this is what I want

im leaving

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

D_Smart posted:

The Million Mile High Club: (An exclusive bar only accessible to early backers.)
Character Customizer (armor / Clothes)
Increase number of supported players
FPS cover system
FPS Starts/Stops
FPS Aim/look pose separation
Physicalized EVA
Holotable improvement
Main menu art
FPS Hit reaction
FPS No weapon locomotion
FPS P4AR polish
FPS ArcLight polish
SPACEFLIGHT UI optimization
SPACEFLIGHT Focus Mode polish

Derek, youre a champ in my book

But I was just suggesting a thread title from a pubbie comment in that thread, not asking for the list to reposted

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

raverrn posted:

How did they not think to do a dry run or two before doing it live?

It's almost like the company is incapable of planning ANYTHING.

CR (PBUH) couldn't even put a good spin on the "lovely" chat box. I'm not a marketing VP, but I would have said something like "Well, I guess we'll have to take another look at the chat interface to improve usability for our players." and not "Holy poo poo this is the loving worst thing ever. Who made this?!?!".

Edit: Jesus Christ it took him several minutes to get to his spaceship in this (I assume) spaceship flying game. Your average gamer doesn't have the time for that kind of bullshit.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 17, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How is Verus going? Did he die attempting the Lesnick special?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

I read what you posted earlier and while I see what happened with them across the surface and then pulling out once the station was out of view, I don't understand how the live demonstration emphasizes the tricks you're implying. I've asked you nicely to please explain it some more. If you're going to be a dick about things then that's on you, but frankly making a declaration like that and then throwing a hissy fit because some random people on the Internet aren't being nice to you just makes you look even worse.

D_Smart posted:

They have around $11m. Plus whatever they make this holiday period.

They will run out of cash by the end of Q1/16.

They will start making cuts in January.

From this point forward, they are not going to be able to make the $3m average per month to sustain this development.

I don't believe that Chris will wait until he only has a month of money left before he bails. He's smarter than that.

All the signs are there.

That poo poo with Sandi talking about the search for CitizenCon venues? Well, I'll let you figure that one out. To me, it was precisely done to send the message that they're going to be around until end of 2016.

I'm going to quote this and hopefully we can revisit it on April 1st. At that point the first quarter will be over, we'll have a reasonable period of time to estimate the $3M average, and we'll see if the net number of employees at CIG is reduced.

I do agree that Sandi's announcement about the location of CitCon did seem like a declaration of intent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So what's the over-under on CiG deleting the whole CRoberts "gameplay" section of that livestream?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So the thing that really sticks out to me in all these videos is how "floaty" the ship movement looks. It honest seems like the ship isn't so much moving through space as it is space moving around the ship, which feels weird somehow. In my mind I know that that's how Wing Commander and TIE Fighter did it, but that was loving 20 years ago. Freespace had a better flight model. Elite may not be 100% perfect, but one of the things that Frontier nailed was the feeling of WEIGHT behind this slab of metal that is moving at crazy speed through space. I can't quite place why, but I don't get that feeling with SC. It's like the world outside the cockpit is what's moving, not the ship itself. Like you're skating on ice rather than flying a ship.

Maybe the flight model is just early, or maybe Christ Roberts is literally space hitler. I don't know anymore, man.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

How 2.0 made me cry posted:

I'm not normally one for stories given that I have the attention span of a gnat on speed, but I felt you folk wouldn't mind. I've been following this project for a year or so now, so when 20 dropped I immediately started to download it.

Now, I'm not a huge arena commander fan when it comes down to it, but I see the necessity and support it as such. It's not that I don't like flying, I just personally find it somewhat isolating and monotonous to be stuck in a box with a half dozen angry superhornets. Instead, I dreamt of smuggling and immersion, of hitchhiking from port to port and seeing the galaxy as a citizen rather than a pair of guns. So I gave it a miss.

Enter 2.0

I booted this patch up expecting it to be awesome. I'd seen the videos. I knew what to expect.

I was totally wrong.

From the moment I stepped into Port Olisar, it felt like the game was alive. Compared to arena commander something huge had changed. I just wasn't sure what. Was it the sounds of breathing? The feeling of waking up in a bed rather than magically spawning into a map? I don't know. I might never know, and that's ok because it felt amazing.

I stepped outside as player ran past me. He stopped and looked at me, jumped, and suddenly we were racing down to the mission room to spawn our ships. I couldn't see his name, but suddenly there was a connection

Landing Pad: Occupied. drat. I looked over to him. He looked back. We resigned ourselves to waiting. He must have seen me spawning my connie, cause suddenly he was following me. We rushed into the airlock and just... When those doors opened and the sound dropped back to reveal my very own spaceship surrounded by stars?

I lost it. Every coherent thought I had flowing through my mind was replaced with pure and undistilled awe. I honestly can't describe what I thought at that time because everything was just overwhelming and I couldn't stop thinking 'It's happening... It's happening. OMG it's beautiful and it's finally happening.'

I tried to echo my thoughts in chat, but.. No. Connie. My connie. In space. She looked so perfect standing there, I was enraptured.

My reverie was broken by my space friend jumping in front of me again. I jumped, he jumped, and we took off.

Port Olisar. That huge superstructure I had just left was just sitting there, tiny and fragile against the immense and menacing void.

In that moment I lost all ability to fly my ship. I was smiling so hard I felt like the Joker, and I had to sit back to prevent my keyboard from getting wet. Just... Drifting. In space. With a friend beside me. I left the command seat and pressed my face to the glass in a vain attempt to see everything as we slowly rolled around our axis. I can't adequately describe the feeling other than a complete over saturation of everything good in the world, but it was like nothing i've ever experienced in a game before.

I had to get closer. I ran to open the airlock to get a better view and was promptly sucked out or fell out into nothingness.

Crap.

After multiple failed attempts at boarding I let spacebro know he could keep the ship, and began the long EVA back to the station. The gentle sounds of thrusters firing and my own breath just made the scene.

And then the game crashed.

I just want to thank you all for supporting this project and letting my dreams come to life. You're all amazing and we wouldn't have this if it wasn't for you lot. CIG- you're troopers and I love you. (Does that make the ship guys starship troopers?)

Anyway, I should sleep, and I love you all.

-- Bandersaur

(My main got shadowbanned for some reason so i'm using my backup as a main now. Hai.)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How is a massive script a good thing?!?!!

i just dont get it

it took a lot of guts for me to buy a hideo kojima game in 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you go into this a bit more? I'm trying to understand what about the reveal, particularly the live demonstration, indicates they're not being honest.

It's like when Bioshock Infinite was marketed with all those amazing movie like sequences which never appeared in game, like the scene where Elizabeth tries to resurrect a horse and it all goes wrong, and many others. Then they sold the game having won a bunch of awards for those movie like sequences, which never appeared in the game, because they were actual movies that were probably never intended to be playable. But at the very least that game wasn't funded and continuously running off of public money and goodwill.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It was Ben's idea for Chris to play a livestream of 2.0. Chris says this quite firmly at the start of his attempt to load the game.

Ben set Chris up.

Ben wasn't in the livestream after that... not even when all the crew were brought in at the end.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

quote:

How 2.0 made me cry posted:

If this isn't mental illness being as clear as it can be over the internet, then I don't know what is.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Unfunny Poster posted:

Who was that MWO sperg who had a posting war to have his mumble/group for House Liao higher up on the forums "most recent" posts than the Goon one?

I remember him being a mod at one point there and was super "Grr Goons" over it.

Gwaihir posted:

Metro of clan hot brother lover.

Oh man this brings back so many memories.

So they actually made community warfare? That loving blows my mind.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Aye, chinny loving reckon mate

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

It was Ben's idea for Chris to play a livestream of 2.0. Chris says this quite firmly at the start of his attempt to load the game.

Ben set Chris up.

Ben wasn't in the livestream after that... not even when all the crew were brought in at the end.

Ben was in the livestream, at the end Ben and Sandi talk over Chris, whom the cameras are still focused on. They chat for a minute or so before Chris cuts them off and explains how poo poo went wrong because... must've been the computer :tinfoil:

I recorded his whole gameplay segment. It's a funny watch.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

I read what you posted earlier and while I see what happened with them across the surface and then pulling out once the station was out of view, I don't understand how the live demonstration emphasizes the tricks you're implying. I've asked you nicely to please explain it some more. If you're going to be a dick about things then that's on you, but frankly making a declaration like that and then throwing a hissy fit because some random people on the Internet aren't being nice to you just makes you look even worse.

Not sure why you're getting touchy. I can't explain it in layman's terms. That was my point. And I thought that was evident in my response.

If you didn't understand it the first time I posted it in layman's terms, I'm not sure how else you want me to explain it. I simply can't reword the same crap to fit someone's level of understanding. As I tend to always do, it takes a lot more explaining than I have time for right now or bothered to do (for the aforementioned reasons).

What they had was a canned, in-editor level. Something that CryEngine is very good at. Only a novice wouldn't have noticed that. And that's why the scales (let me guess, nobody noticed that either) were off.

It wasn't like they had the tech running off the v1.x or even v2.x kernel. They did not.

And for all intent and purposes, this isn't any different from ALL the other in-level work they've shown or which you could find on any website that hosts CryEngine terrain tutorials.

I have written several procedural terrain generation engines. The last one I worked on is actually in Universal Combat CE (currently free on Steam). Only difference being; due to how the space<->planetary transition works, there is no zooming down to the planet from space.

There are dozens of free procedural terrain generation sample code, data structs etc online. It's not entirely rocket science for us graphics engineers. It all boils down to a) what you want to do with it b) how you want to render it

This was nothing more than more smoke and mirrors - and for a feature that's not even targeted for the first release (which they have YET to achieve) of the game. So their motivation for even doing this, was just to show new stuff because, well, you saw the stream, they had nothing new and/or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben was in the livestream, at the end Ben and Sandi talk over Chris, whom the cameras are still focused on. They chat for a minute or so before Chris cuts them off and explains how poo poo went wrong because... must've been the computer :tinfoil:

I recorded his whole gameplay segment. It's a funny watch.

I just noticed the huge empty space after Chris's failed attempt to play his game during the skype interview.

e: ah yeah, I think I know the bit you mean. They replayed the audio of the beginning of the livestream over the top of Chris. But he didn't appear in person after the 2.0 fuckup and was noticeably absent after that.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread