Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Mirificus posted:

How 2.0 made me cry posted:
I'm not normally one for stories given that I have the attention span of a gnat on speed, but I felt you folk wouldn't mind. I've been following this project for a year or so now, so when 20 dropped I immediately started to download it.

Now, I'm not a huge arena commander fan when it comes down to it, but I see the necessity and support it as such. It's not that I don't like flying, I just personally find it somewhat isolating and monotonous to be stuck in a box with a half dozen angry superhornets. Instead, I dreamt of smuggling and immersion, of hitchhiking from port to port and seeing the galaxy as a citizen rather than a pair of guns. So I gave it a miss.

Enter 2.0

I booted this patch up expecting it to be awesome. I'd seen the videos. I knew what to expect.

I was totally wrong.

From the moment I stepped into Port Olisar, it felt like the game was alive. Compared to arena commander something huge had changed. I just wasn't sure what. Was it the sounds of breathing? The feeling of waking up in a bed rather than magically spawning into a map? I don't know. I might never know, and that's ok because it felt amazing.

I stepped outside as player ran past me. He stopped and looked at me, jumped, and suddenly we were racing down to the mission room to spawn our ships. I couldn't see his name, but suddenly there was a connection

Landing Pad: Occupied. drat. I looked over to him. He looked back. We resigned ourselves to waiting. He must have seen me spawning my connie, cause suddenly he was following me. We rushed into the airlock and just... When those doors opened and the sound dropped back to reveal my very own spaceship surrounded by stars?

I lost it. Every coherent thought I had flowing through my mind was replaced with pure and undistilled awe. I honestly can't describe what I thought at that time because everything was just overwhelming and I couldn't stop thinking 'It's happening... It's happening. OMG it's beautiful and it's finally happening.'

I tried to echo my thoughts in chat, but.. No. Connie. My connie. In space. She looked so perfect standing there, I was enraptured.

My reverie was broken by my space friend jumping in front of me again. I jumped, he jumped, and we took off.

Port Olisar. That huge superstructure I had just left was just sitting there, tiny and fragile against the immense and menacing void.

In that moment I lost all ability to fly my ship. I was smiling so hard I felt like the Joker, and I had to sit back to prevent my keyboard from getting wet. Just... Drifting. In space. With a friend beside me. I left the command seat and pressed my face to the glass in a vain attempt to see everything as we slowly rolled around our axis. I can't adequately describe the feeling other than a complete over saturation of everything good in the world, but it was like nothing i've ever experienced in a game before.

I had to get closer. I ran to open the airlock to get a better view and was promptly sucked out or fell out into nothingness.

Crap.

After multiple failed attempts at boarding I let spacebro know he could keep the ship, and began the long EVA back to the station. The gentle sounds of thrusters firing and my own breath just made the scene.

And then the game crashed.

I just want to thank you all for supporting this project and letting my dreams come to life. You're all amazing and we wouldn't have this if it wasn't for you lot. CIG- you're troopers and I love you. (Does that make the ship guys starship troopers?)

Anyway, I should sleep, and I love you all.

-- Bandersaur

(My main got shadowbanned for some reason so i'm using my backup as a main now. Hai.)
12/16/15, 7:40 PM

I just dont understand. This person is literally thanking them for making something that he admittedly cannot play

Idont know what is real anymore

Am ireal or just an Internet facsimile of croberts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fuctifino posted:

It was Ben's idea for Chris to play a livestream of 2.0. Chris says this quite firmly at the start of his attempt to load the game.

Ben set Chris up.

Ben wasn't in the livestream after that... not even when all the crew were brought in at the end.

He's in a final picture:

Nomenclature posted:

From Sandi's Facebook:

Whatever the hell happened Ben and Alexis look miserable.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben was in the livestream, at the end Ben and Sandi talk over Chris, whom the cameras are still focused on. They chat for a minute or so before Chris cuts them off and explains how poo poo went wrong because... must've been the computer :tinfoil:

I recorded his whole gameplay segment. It's a funny watch.

I think that segment is actually someone loving up and broadcasting the beginning of the livestream over Chris.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How 2.0 made me cry posted:
I'm not normally one for stories given that I have the attention span of a gnat on speed, but I felt you folk wouldn't mind. I've been following this project for a year or so now, so when 20 dropped I immediately started to download it.

Now, I'm not a huge arena commander fan when it comes down to it, but I see the necessity and support it as such. It's not that I don't like flying, I just personally find it somewhat isolating and monotonous to be stuck in a box with a half dozen angry superhornets. Instead, I dreamt of smuggling and immersion, of hitchhiking from port to port and seeing the galaxy as a citizen rather than a pair of guns. So I gave it a miss.

Enter 2.0

I booted this patch up expecting it to be awesome. I'd seen the videos. I knew what to expect.

I was totally wrong.

From the moment I stepped into Port Olisar, it felt like the game was alive. Compared to arena commander something huge had changed. I just wasn't sure what. Was it the sounds of breathing? The feeling of waking up in a bed rather than magically spawning into a map? I don't know. I might never know, and that's ok because it felt amazing.

I stepped outside as player ran past me. He stopped and looked at me, jumped, and suddenly we were racing down to the mission room to spawn our ships. I couldn't see his name, but suddenly there was a connection

Landing Pad: Occupied. drat. I looked over to him. He looked back. We resigned ourselves to waiting. He must have seen me spawning my connie, cause suddenly he was following me. We rushed into the airlock and just... When those doors opened and the sound dropped back to reveal my very own spaceship surrounded by stars?

I lost it. Every coherent thought I had flowing through my mind was replaced with pure and undistilled awe. I honestly can't describe what I thought at that time because everything was just overwhelming and I couldn't stop thinking 'It's happening... It's happening. OMG it's beautiful and it's finally happening.'

I tried to echo my thoughts in chat, but.. No. Connie. My connie. In space. She looked so perfect standing there, I was enraptured.

My reverie was broken by my space friend jumping in front of me again. I jumped, he jumped, and we took off.

Port Olisar. That huge superstructure I had just left was just sitting there, tiny and fragile against the immense and menacing void.

In that moment I lost all ability to fly my ship. I was smiling so hard I felt like the Joker, and I had to sit back to prevent my keyboard from getting wet. Just... Drifting. In space. With a friend beside me. I left the command seat and pressed my face to the glass in a vain attempt to see everything as we slowly rolled around our axis. I can't adequately describe the feeling other than a complete over saturation of everything good in the world, but it was like nothing i've ever experienced in a game before.

I had to get closer. I ran to open the airlock to get a better view and was promptly sucked out or fell out into nothingness.

Crap.

After multiple failed attempts at boarding I let spacebro know he could keep the ship, and began the long EVA back to the station. The gentle sounds of thrusters firing and my own breath just made the scene.

And then the game crashed.

I just want to thank you all for supporting this project and letting my dreams come to life. You're all amazing and we wouldn't have this if it wasn't for you lot. CIG- you're troopers and I love you. (Does that make the ship guys starship troopers?)

Anyway, I should sleep, and I love you all.

-- Bandersaur

(My main got shadowbanned for some reason so i'm using my backup as a main now. Hai.)
12/16/15, 7:40 PM

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think that segment is actually someone loving up and broadcasting the beginning of the livestream over Chris.

RIP Ben Lesnick.

The memorial was a propos after all.

(Sandi, that's French for "a joke in poor taste".)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Basically, you're saying its just a Crysis mod.

A 100,000,000 dollar Crysis mod.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 17, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yes you're very clever being able to connect identical usernames across 2 different websites. *pats your head*

I hope you stick around, CIG just posted the greatest self-own on their own twitch channel and one of the top streamers independently just roasted SC after trying to play it on his stream.

All in all, was fun. :munch:

Don't just drive-by when you think you'll finally find vindication because odds are you're mistaken.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I hope you stick around, CIG just posted the greatest self-own on their own twitch channel and one of the top streamers independently just roasted SC after trying to play it on his stream.

Oh, so that's what eventually happened with that popular streamer. His stuff kinda got drowned out by the comedy of errors coming out of CIG's material.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

T.G. Xarbala posted:

All in all, was fun. :munch:

Don't just drive-by when you think you'll finally find vindication because odds are you're mistaken.

Wait, who roasted what now?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anyone else notice this?

"64-bit positioning", it's almost as if a 64-bit engine was an overstatement, and that you are only using the 64-bit position for a few specific things. lol at 'Camera Relative Rendering', no poo poo that you only render stuff that the camera 'sees'.

While they probably already had to rewrite a large part of the engine to get the multiple grids/TerrainMap in the game. The dev giving the procgen demo mentions writing a separate TerrainMap just for procgen (it is likely necessary). Again, they really should have just wrote their own engine from scratch because that is what they are essentially doing atm.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 17, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I exaggerate, it was more of a quick sear.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

The crash was tweeted here
https://twitter.com/istheguy/status/677322882096189440

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I read what you posted earlier and while I see what happened with them across the surface and then pulling out once the station was out of view, I don't understand how the live demonstration emphasizes the tricks you're implying. I've asked you nicely to please explain it some more. If you're going to be a dick about things then that's on you, but frankly making a declaration like that and then throwing a hissy fit because some random people on the Internet aren't being nice to you just makes you look even worse.

I'm going to quote this and hopefully we can revisit it on April 1st. At that point the first quarter will be over, we'll have a reasonable period of time to estimate the $3M average, and we'll see if the net number of employees at CIG is reduced.

I do agree that Sandi's announcement about the location of CitCon did seem like a declaration of intent.

Shot in the dark, because "rendered in engine" means absolutely poo poo. The video is nothing like what is out now.

Every time I see this I remind people of the Watchdogs reveal compared to the game. And that was a functional game.

Now compare early FPS footage to what ended up being used.

Go play Arena Commander and see how far a year has taken it.

Nah gently caress it, the fact that a rendered video that zooms seamlessly from an eye to space in a game where the creator can't even load a ship doesn't seem fake in any way is really strange. Take a step back for a second and watch it again.

It's not the game, it's a rendered Cryengine sequence with absolutely nothing behind it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Fun Fact:

In engine footage!= In Game footage

Legal trickery abounds.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

Shot in the dark, because "rendered in engine" means absolutely poo poo. The video is nothing like what is out now.

Every time I see this I remind people of the Watchdogs reveal compared to the game. And that was a functional game.

Now compare early FPS footage to what ended up being used.

Go play Arena Commander and see how far a year has taken it.

Nah gently caress it, the fact that a rendered video that zooms seamlessly from an eye to space in a game where the creator can't even load a ship doesn't seem fake in any way is really strange. Take a step back for a second and watch it again.

It's not the game, it's a rendered Cryengine sequence with absolutely nothing behind it.

Watchdogs taught everybody not to trust bullshots.

Sadly, Star Citizen backers are terrible students.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Watchdogs taught everybody not to trust bullshots.

Sadly, Star Citizen backers are terrible students.

Uh... Killzone 2, tyvm

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm guessing now that there's no way Chris will let anyone miss his magnum opus by allowing skippable cut-scenes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Production of pretty SC videos has been going on since 2012, but development on the actual game only really started this year if you really think about it.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uh... Killzone 2, tyvm

I can only apologize.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Where's that fanfic somebody posted about Ben shoving a turkey up someones butt and sending the corpse to Mr. Smart?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Production of pretty SC videos has been going on since 2012, but development on the actual game only really started this year if you really think about it.

I can only apologize.

I will prepare a blog post so that, four years from now, I will have the most grandiose of "Told you so" moments.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://fat.gfycat.com/FavorableIllDuckling.webm

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Uploading the Chris Roberts segment. Preparing for "Copyright infringement" claims.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x5rm2/i_have_been_converted_finally/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

McGiggins posted:

Fun Fact:

In engine footage!= In Game footage

Legal trickery abounds.

Whaaaat… are you saying that you could use frame-by-frame rendering at unplayable qualities and with special-purpose error checking to get “in engine” footage that doesn't represent what actual gameplay would be like?! That seems unrealistic – it would be like if the Source engine had some kind of silly startmovie, endmovie and host_framerate console commands…

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Not sure why you're getting touchy. I can't explain it in layman's terms. That was my point. And I thought that was evident in my response.

If you didn't understand it the first time I posted it in layman's terms, I'm not sure how else you want me to explain it. I simply can't reword the same crap to fit someone's level of understanding. As I tend to always do, it takes a lot more explaining than I have time for right now or bothered to do (for the aforementioned reasons).

What they had was a canned, in-editor level. Something that CryEngine is very good at. Only a novice wouldn't have noticed that. And that's why the scales (let me guess, nobody noticed that either) were off.

It wasn't like they had the tech running off the v1.x or even v2.x kernel. They did not.

And for all intent and purposes, this isn't any different from ALL the other in-level work they've shown or which you could find on any website that hosts CryEngine terrain tutorials.

I have written several procedural terrain generation engines. The last one I worked on is actually in Universal Combat CE (currently free on Steam). Only difference being; due to how the space<->planetary transition works, there is no zooming down to the planet from space.

There are dozens of free procedural terrain generation sample code, data structs etc online. It's not entirely rocket science for us graphics engineers. It all boils down to a) what you want to do with it b) how you want to render it

This was nothing more than more smoke and mirrors - and for a feature that's not even targeted for the first release (which they have YET to achieve) of the game. So their motivation for even doing this, was just to show new stuff because, well, you saw the stream, they had nothing new and/or interesting.

The attitude in my previous response was due to your comment about wasting your time and getting yelled at. I appreciate you taking a second chance to talk about things again. Personally I don't have a lot of experience with CryEngine or this sort of thing.

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that because it was done in the editor, as opposed to the actual game engine, it's a pretty rudimentary demonstration that doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the level of development they've put in. You mentioned that there are examples of why that's evident in both the video and live demo, not the least of which being the scaling issue (I agree it seemed like they arrived on the planet far quicker than one would expect). Are there any examples beyond that you can point out? Something like this is a pretty compelling argument and I find it rather fascinating.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 17, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm surprised the girl behind Sandi still works there. She's cute as hell, and I can't imagine Sandi is able to deal with someone more attractive than her working there.

The girl in the front is cute too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Based on the reactions at this website, that trailer is working.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not sure why you're getting touchy. I can't explain it in layman's terms. That was my point. And I thought that was evident in my response.

If you didn't understand it the first time I posted it in layman's terms, I'm not sure how else you want me to explain it. I simply can't reword the same crap to fit someone's level of understanding. As I tend to always do, it takes a lot more explaining than I have time for right now or bothered to do (for the aforementioned reasons).

What they had was a canned, in-editor level. Something that CryEngine is very good at. Only a novice wouldn't have noticed that. And that's why the scales (let me guess, nobody noticed that either) were off.

It wasn't like they had the tech running off the v1.x or even v2.x kernel. They did not.

And for all intent and purposes, this isn't any different from ALL the other in-level work they've shown or which you could find on any website that hosts CryEngine terrain tutorials.

I have written several procedural terrain generation engines. The last one I worked on is actually in Universal Combat CE (currently free on Steam). Only difference being; due to how the space<->planetary transition works, there is no zooming down to the planet from space.

There are dozens of free procedural terrain generation sample code, data structs etc online. It's not entirely rocket science for us graphics engineers. It all boils down to a) what you want to do with it b) how you want to render it

This was nothing more than more smoke and mirrors - and for a feature that's not even targeted for the first release (which they have YET to achieve) of the game. So their motivation for even doing this, was just to show new stuff because, well, you saw the stream, they had nothing new and/or interesting.

The attitude in my previous response was due to your comment about wasting your time and getting yelled at. I appreciate you taking a second chance to talk about things again. Personally I don't have a lot of experience with CryEngine or this sort of thing.

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that because it was done in the editor, as opposed to the actual game engine, it's a pretty rudimentary demonstration that doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the level of development they've put in. You mentioned that there are examples of why that's evident in both the video and live demo, not the least of which being the scaling issue (I agree it seemed like they arrived on the planet far quicker than one would expect). Are there any examples beyond that you can point out? Something like this is a pretty compelling argument and I find it rather fascinating.

I don't understand what the argument even IS, I assume Cryengine is similar to UE4 in that you can play the game in-editor for testing purposes and that is what they were doing. I know in UE4 it's WYSIWYG, so I have a hard time buying it's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors when there are other games that can do the same thing.

Quite frankly Derek, you said planetary transitions/procedural tech wasn't what they were going to be unveiling after me and some other posters postulated it. And now you say stuff like this- it makes me think you're full of poo poo honestly. They played it in-editor and did everything they did in the canned video, how is that not demonstrative that the tech they have works?

You can argue all you want that creating all the landing zones and making the planets more visually interesting than a big barren rock is too herculean of a task, but this seems like a really weird hill to die on.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 17, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha christ robbers is so mad during the stream but he knows he can't flip out.

Also the amount of doors you have to manually open is kinda dumb. You can get rid of the switch in the airlock. I know it's a hidden loading screen but just have the first door close, some airlock hissy and steam stuff, then open the airlock. Many games have done transitional loading screens without having to make the player push buttons each time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fuctifino posted:

I just noticed the huge empty space after Chris's failed attempt to play his game during the skype interview.

e: ah yeah, I think I know the bit you mean. They replayed the audio of the beginning of the livestream over the top of Chris. But he didn't appear in person after the 2.0 fuckup and was noticeably absent after that.

What's with "scowling John Rhys-Davies" on screen in the background?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Haha christ robbers is so mad during the stream but he knows he can't flip out.

Also the amount of doors you have to manually open is kinda dumb. You can get rid of the switch in the airlock. I know it's a hidden loading screen but just have the first door close, some airlock hissy and steam stuff, then open the airlock. Many games have done transitional loading screens without having to make the player push buttons each time.

It's the future — humanity will no longer have any need for automated doors.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

While taking a poo poo just now I decided to browse "Cryengine 3 rendered terrain" and learned you can import bump maps and have parallax mapping of textures on the fly.

Also, Cryengine can render mountains terrain natively. On the fly.

I know nothing about game engines or programming, but it's not really impressive. If they did it in game, without crashing, that's different.

In Elite, they were showing someone actually landing and taking off in the game- not rendered with the engine, but happening at that point.

You ask what about the video shows it's done illegitimately? Because every video I watched during my poo poo showed a slight little stutter. The YouTube video was smooth as glass.

It's a cutscene, and a blatant one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4txe/for_all_the_bitching_i_honestly_felt_the_chris/cy1tyg1

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lol, i died

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

:psyduck:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

D_Smart posted:

:words:
I have written several procedural terrain generation engines. The last one I worked on is actually in Universal Combat CE (currently free on Steam). Only difference being...
:words:

Never a moment to market your products wasted, eh Uncle Derek?

still ain't buying your lovely rear end game.

:berned:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

still ain't buying your lovely rear end game.
UC is actually good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Someone has a nice Porsche in the background.

Looks like a Boxster Spyder. New goes for $82,100.

Edit: No... look at its reflection in the glass. Someone who knows more about cars can probably pinpoint it though.

Maybe a 911. About the same price.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 17, 2015

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
How exactly does the terrain generation work if there are two people flying over it? Is the server actually generating the terrain and sending the info to the clients? Can you just pick a spot on the ground and land?

I know SC is faking it but how does it work with other games?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

How exactly does the terrain generation work if there are two people flying over it? Is the server actually generating the terrain and sending the info to the clients? Can you just pick a spot on the ground and land?

I know SC is faking it but how does it work with other games?

If it's properly done, the same end result gets generated every time you start from the same seed. The server should only need to provide the seed (and use it to check for terrain collision). It simply reduces the need to pre-cook huge 3D model and texture assets since the client can build it as needed from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

pretty sure thats some kind of porsche 911

• Locked thread