Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

In response to the population blaming an entire minority group for the radical actions of five terrorists, King T'Challa immediately caved, divorced his wife, and distanced himself from mutants.

They say his spine shrank three sizes that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Precambrian posted:

In response to the population blaming an entire minority group for the radical actions of five terrorists, King T'Challa immediately caved, divorced his wife, and distanced himself from mutants.

They say his spine shrank three sizes that day.

To play devil's advocate, it's a little different when the terrorists and the wife are part of the same paramilitary organisation, in whose name the attack was carried out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Namor was an X-Man at the time, and the Wakandan people were thus pretty mad at mutants so their King being married to one was not popular.

Pfft, dudes a king.

I admit it makes for no drama but has anyone in Marvel or DC had a successful marriage, there has to have been a few?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Ultragonk posted:

Pfft, dudes a king.

I admit it makes for no drama but has anyone in Marvel or DC had a successful marriage, there has to have been a few?

Yeah but usually one of them ends up murdered or the universe is reset and they aren't married or the devil makes them forget it happened or the Flash runs really fast and everything is undone or

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ultragonk posted:

Pfft, dudes a king.

Big Barda and Miracle Man?

(if this isn't true, I don't want to know *lalala, I can't hear you*)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sue and Reed seem to do mostly fine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

Pfft, dudes a king.

Sue and Ralph Dibny were doing Just Fine until DC editorial had their way with them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ultragonk posted:

Pfft, dudes a king.

I suspect that most of the people who think that having a character be married makes for less drama have never actually been married.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah of course.

I suspect that most of the people who think that having a character be married makes for less drama have never actually been married.

Well that is a good point well made.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's not that. It's that they are married and are nostalgic for how much more 'fun' the drama was when they were 23 and single.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

But how is their aging reading audience supposed to relate to the character if the character is married.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

Sue and Ralph Dibny were doing Just Fine until DC editorial had their way with them.

quote:

In 2004, she became a flashpoint for discussions of women in comics when a highly controversial storyline was published in which she is murdered and revealed to have been raped in the past

Had their way with them is right.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

Rule of thumb for franchise comics discussion: When people like a story, they say that a character did or said something; when people dislike it, they say that the writers made a character do or say it.

When everyone on the goddamn planet is saying that DC's editors imposed the last decade or more of happenings on their characters, I worry.

Please get better, DC. We want to love you. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Anyone who pitches a "Reed and Sue get divorced" story deserves to be haunted by the ghost of Jack Kirby.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ralph and Sue would've been cool if they actually followed up on the dead detectives thing after 52.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jack Gladney posted:

There may be a spanking or two in there, honestly. I don't think they meet a black man until the 70s.

Black Panther, 1966. He kicks their asses just to show he can.

e: Beaten like the FF in issue 52.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ralph and Sue would've been cool if they actually followed up on the dead detectives thing after 52.

Tangent to this, but what the hell do people mean when then day that these two are like Nick and Nora Charles? Half the fun of those movies is that those two are jazzy high-society alcoholics who constantly drop zingers on each other, but with love. The only common point with them and the Dibnys is the crime-solving. What am I missing?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've read a couple of dozen issues of the old x-men comics now and it's been pretty good seeing how some of the villains started especially ones like the sentinels who seem really different to their later counterparts. I also notice they had villains that had fought other super hero groups, are there any villains that have gone after all of the super heroes in Marvel like attacked the X-Men, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ultragonk posted:

I've read a couple of dozen issues of the old x-men comics now and it's been pretty good seeing how some of the villains started especially ones like the sentinels who seem really different to their later counterparts. I also notice they had villains that had fought other super hero groups, are there any villains that have gone after all of the super heroes in Marvel like attacked the X-Men, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man?

Yes and his name is Doom :doom:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Half the fun of those movies is that those two are jazzy high-society alcoholics who constantly drop zingers on each other, but with love.

That is in fact a near-perfect description of how the Dibnys were introduced and what their life is like in a lot of comics they appear in.

Like that in in fact the idea behind them. Ralph's original claim to fame is that he was the first ever Superhero NOT to have a secret identity and leveraged that into fame and fortune and high society parties and Sue was a wealthy debutante he met and swept off her feet. Their lives revolved around constantly going on trips and going to parties and so-on until they gradually faded into more mundane and down-to-earth life. (And at that point they still drop zingers on each other, with love.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultragonk posted:

Circus of Crime was in nearly every 60's Marvel book.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and his name is Doom :doom:

Of course, DOOM

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ultragonk posted:

There's also Acts of Vengeance where they all traded

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

It has the best Red Skull Magneto interaction.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Opopanax posted:

That seems fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roger Stern did that when he was writing Spider-Man. He put Spidey up against villains he thought would be unusual for him to fight (Nitro, Mr Hyde, Juggernaut), or re-used little-known ones (the Ringer). He created the Hobgoblin because he didn't want to use the Green Goblin. The only classic Spider-Man villain he went back to regularly was the Vulture, because he was Stern's favourite.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Opopanax posted:

Acts of Vengeance been mentioned, so I have been summoned by my fell curse to mention that it is also home to the time Frank Castle drove around New York with a xerox of a painting of Doctor Doom's parents taped to the top of his van, as part of a plot to get Doom off his back. The two Acts of Vengeance Punisher issues rule, and everyone should read them.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't they come back in Batman and the Outsiders? Of course this actually requires someone reading and caring about Batman and the Outsiders.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

Didn't they come back in Batman and the Outsiders? Of course this actually requires someone reading and caring about Batman and the Outsiders.

cool newz u can use: Science proves conclusively that Geo-Force is a poo poo character and nobody likes him.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Squizzle posted:

Geo-Force is a poo poo character and nobody likes him.
Brad Meltzer likes him. So that's one. :downs:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

Brad Meltzer likes him. So that's one. :downs:

Meltzer also thinks that Deathstroke could take down the entire JLA and that Ronald Reagan carried a handgun at all times.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I should clarify that wasn't meant to be a positive endorsement. Meltzer is partially responsible for DC's "apes are stupid, rape is mature!" direction of the past decade. Not a fan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

I should clarify that wasn't meant to be a positive endorsement. Meltzer is partially responsible for DC's "apes are stupid, rape is mature!" direction of the past decade. Not a fan.

Oh I got it. I was agreeing with you.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Squizzle posted:

cool newz u can use: Science proves conclusively that Geo-Force is a poo poo character and nobody likes him.

I'm double checking the data, and yep. Geo-Force is a waste of ink. Real solid reporting everybody.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Remember when DC hinted that Booster Gold was going to join the Justice League via those "This year in _____!" teasers they used to do and it was just Geo-Force shadowed out?

That was bullshit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As a scientist, I ran a second study to check your results and it confirms that Geo-Force is terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Query:

Is Terra also terrible as she is derivative of Geo-Force?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Query:

Is Terra also terrible as she is derivative of Geo-Force?

I can think of one storyline that Terra was interesting in. That's one more than Geo-Force.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of Geoforce why are there so few gravity powered superheroes? There are like a billion electricity guys, magnet guys, light guys, etc. I can think of two that are exclusively gravity, Graviton and the redundantly named Gravity. Maybe it's too hard to come up with decent names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Speaking of Geoforce why are there so few gravity powered superheroes? There are like a billion electricity guys, magnet guys, light guys, etc. I can think of two that are exclusively gravity, Graviton and the redundantly named Gravity. Maybe it's too hard to come up with decent names.

Dick Rider's generic space blasts were gravity-flavored, if you count that.

e: And to answer your question, it's because no one wants to get the Geo-Force stink on their characters. He's tainted an entire fundamental force with his crapness.