Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

G-Unit was already taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has there ever been a Black Hole? which sounds like a villain and is just a terrible, terrible name.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Graviton once teamed up with three other villains to rep the four forces, villainously. The strong force guy was just strong and made duplicates, instead of exploding things into hydrogen. :eng99:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Has there ever been a Black Hole? which sounds like a villain and is just a terrible, terrible name.
There's Black Mass, who also has them gravity powers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

There's Black Mass, who also has them gravity powers.

There's also this Black Hole, courtesy Gerber.

e: Black Sun, Jonathan Black, Zey-Rogg (zero-g), G-Force

and octo-sapien

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 17, 2015

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Thom Kallor Starman had gravity powers

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

There's also this Black Hole, courtesy Gerber.
"Kribbee had a fetish for sucking down larger and larger objects. It is difficult to describe his ability in a serious tone." :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disgusting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

There's Black Mass
:black101: Metal :rock:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Opopanax posted:

There's also Acts of Vengeance where they all traded

The best part of Acts of Vengeance was that Spider-Man is playing host to a knock-off power cosmic, and so everyone who gets switched to him just gets the tar beaten out of them.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Are the Blob's powers gravity related?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Patrick Spens posted:

The best part of Acts of Vengeance was that Spider-Man is playing host to a knock-off power cosmic, and so everyone who gets switched to him just gets the tar beaten out of them.

Captain Universe Spider-Man never gets enough love. Punching the Hulk into space is worth it alone. Magneto, Graviton, Goliath, the Tri-Sentinel, and whoever else were fun to see get humiliated as well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Query:

Is Terra also terrible as she is derivative of Geo-Force?

She was great as Power Girl's friend/sidekick.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

prefect posted:

She was great as Power Girl's friend/sidekick.
Wasn't that a different Terra, unrelated to GF?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dario the Wop posted:

Wasn't that a different Terra, unrelated to GF?

I don't actually know the DC histories that well. All I know is that I enjoyed reading those comics. :D

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Yeah, it's right there in those panels - Power Girl's friend Terra is a refugee from a subterranean world, different character from Tara Markov in New Teen Titans.

Amanda Conner's PG really was great. Wish we could've seen that Vartox on the Supergirl show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Amanda Conner's PG really was great. Wish we could've seen that Vartox on the Supergirl show.

Wish we could've gotten a Power Girl show instead.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Clamknuckle posted:

Are the Blob's powers gravity related?

More inertia-related, I'd say. I believe if you destabilize whatever he's standing on, he'll fall.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

More inertia-related, I'd say. I believe if you destabilize whatever he's standing on, he'll fall.

I thought sometimes they'd have him ripped away from the ground and tearing big chunks of the ground with him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Density related, like that one guy in the Hellfire club.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

As a scientist, I ran a second study to check your results and it confirms that Geo-Force is terrible.

The original two runs of Batman and the Outsiders are so batshit insane that they are amazing. Because they are such a terrible super team.
In the opening arc, half the team (including Batman) get pistol whipped by random evil soldiers. And Geo-Force gets riddled with bullets, killed and buried in a shallow grave.
Which, it turned out to be a method of powering him up. How awful is that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Idran posted:

I thought sometimes they'd have him ripped away from the ground and tearing big chunks of the ground with him?

I distinctly remember a panel where the Hulk was lifting really hard and big pillars of earth were coming up attached to the Blob's feet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Older superheroes (e.g. Superman) who have energy beam powers tend to shoot the beams from their faces. Somewhat more modern superheroes (e.g. Carol Danvers) tend to shoot beams from their hands. There are exceptions, but when did the dominant blasty style switch from faceblasts to handblasts?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

I don't actually know the DC histories that well. All I know is that I enjoyed reading those comics. :D

Read Starfire, Terra's appeared in that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

Older superheroes (e.g. Superman) who have energy beam powers tend to shoot the beams from their faces. Somewhat more modern superheroes (e.g. Carol Danvers) tend to shoot beams from their hands. There are exceptions, but when did the dominant blasty style switch from faceblasts to handblasts?

I always associate eyebeams with DC characters and hand/fist beams with Marvel characters. But that may just be a function of time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marvel probably uses hand beams more often because they have a character whose entire power is eyebeams. On the other hand aside from Kryptonians I can't think of any DC characters known for their eyebeams.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Martian Manhunter, with his vaguely-defined "Martian Vision"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Marvel probably uses hand beams more often because they have a character whose entire power is eyebeams. On the other hand aside from Kryptonians I can't think of any DC characters known for their eyebeams.

Darkseid's Omega Beams are the only ones I can think of.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

And J'onn J'onzz, the Manhunter from Mars! And anyone who blasts things from their mouth, or forehead. I'm betting that more than a few Legion of Superheroes members count, but heck if I'm going to try remembering them all. A number of robots fire eyebeams, as well.

Just thinking out loud here: There does seem to be something offputting or inhuman about head/face blasts, versus hand blasts. Maybe that's why so many robots have them, and why even after they fell out of fashion, more "cosmic" characters like Darkseid still spray death from their eyes. That, aside from Superman references, could also be why disproportionately many of the faceblasters I can think of also have capes (and fly or hover)—capes are regal as all hell, and can make a character seem that much more aloof. As more accessible, flawed, human Heroes became the norm, so did hand blasts and capeless costumes.

The Vision, as an inhuman flying robot with a cape and forehead lasers, is like Exhibit A here. A late example, but god drat, everything else fits.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If I remember correctly Gambit used to charge objects with his eyes (hence the red eyes look) and would then throw them. It was later retconned to be that he charged objects with his hands.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Madkal posted:

If I remember correctly Gambit used to charge objects with his eyes (hence the red eyes look) and would then throw them. It was later retconned to be that he charged objects with his hands.

That's right, I'd forgotten all about that.

Now I'm sad I sold my X-Men 266 for $20 because I was a poor college student. :(

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ghost Rider has the Penance Stare. That's some kind of energy, right? And there's always Chamber.

So, unless you're a demon or a filthy mutie, shoot your energy out of your hands like God intended.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inkspot posted:

Ghost Rider has the Penance Stare. That's some kind of energy, right? And there's always Chamber.

So, unless you're a demon or a filthy mutie, shoot your energy out of your hands like God intended.

Wait does the Punisher count then

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't remember his comics counterpart but there was a guy in the Flash tv show whose powers where eye beams.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Read Starfire, Terra's appeared in that.

Though because Kory's doing the 'naive stranger to Earth culture' bit in that book, Terra's actually the assimilated immigrant showing her the ropes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Speaking of Geoforce why are there so few gravity powered superheroes? There are like a billion electricity guys, magnet guys, light guys, etc. I can think of two that are exclusively gravity, Graviton and the redundantly named Gravity. Maybe it's too hard to come up with decent names.

Probably because gravity is such a vague force to work with. The only things people can do with it are fling objects around, which a lot of other powers let people do anyway, (see: telekinesis), or pin people to the ground by making them too heavy to move. And then the character's like a one-trick pony. Also flattening people I guess but then that's why there's gravity based villains around with not many heroes in the same field...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

On the subject of eye beams there's this great set of panels from the Flash #150.

The plot is Wally West has gone back in time to Crisis on Infinite Earth's to try and help the heroes beat the Anti-Monitor in place of Barry Allen. It doesn't work and he keeps having to use time travel to get do-overs.

There is one part where a load of characters like Superman and Power Girl are all blasting the Anti Monitor down with eye beams. And inexplicably one of the people doing it is Captain Marvel, who has never shown eye beam powers.
So it just looks like the kid hero starts blasting the bad guy with eye beams because everyone else was doing it that day, and he just wanted to fit in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Probably because gravity is such a vague force to work with. The only things people can do with it are fling objects around, which a lot of other powers let people do anyway, (see: telekinesis), or pin people to the ground by making them too heavy to move. And then the character's like a one-trick pony. Also flattening people I guess but then that's why there's gravity based villains around with not many heroes in the same field...

Wasn't Graviton a fairly major Avengers arch villain for a while?

I remember in the pilot of EMH he hosed up the Avengers pretty bad, even handled the Hulk ok.

BTW what happened to him, last thing I remember him doing is being some sort of higher up on AIM Island.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Wasn't Graviton a fairly major Avengers arch villain for a while?

Despite being ridiculously powerful, Graviton was a bit of a jobber villain for most of his existence after his first appearance. He became more of a big deal as the chief enemy of the Thunderbolts in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Graviton is like defined by being one of those dudes who would be a godlike villain if his personality wasn't that of a dumbass MRA loser.