Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

In OG XCOM the air war was somewhat engaging and you had a few options. In XCOM2012 the air war was minimally interactive but had minimal impact on the game. In LW the air war was the dumbest loving thing ever implemented and amounted to throwing dice with your campaign and to me stands out as one of the most egregious examples of 'LETS ADD MORE RNG' without thinking through any aspect of game design in the whole mod. I'm kinda glad to see XCOM2 is dropping the air war entirely if they can't come up with a way to make it fun and interactive.

Edit: Xenonaut's air mini game was fun a few times, but it got to be a chore and I started just hitting autoresolve. I love XCOM for its turn based strategy and geoscape grand strategy, not for its arcade games.

Vib Rib posted:

I know one of the LP previewers complained about this, but I think it's a difference of approach. In XCOM there were only so many different facilities, but you needed duplicates of a lot of them. If facilities are more unique but can be upgraded internally, like for instance a power plant whose output grows over time, I think I'd much rather have that than planting three or four side by side.

I agree with this in part, but I did like the adjacency system and the opportunity to hyper-specialize your base by filling an entire wing with labs or whatever. Unfortunately, mass workshops with a block of 4 uplink/nexuses was pretty much the objectively best building strat, so the system was really wasted. I'd love to see adjacencies come back, but much more limited and specific. Maybe sticking a lab next to a generator results in a credit to laser tier research due to increased power availability, while sticking the lab next to the alien containment offers a credit on interrogations/autopsies. Something where there are lots of combinations but not enough space to realize them all (or some buildings are unique).

I love games where there are lots of possible viable options that are mutually exclusive to invite different playstyles.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I get the feeling that it's less that they can't make the air war work and more that making the air war work would take a major redesign and a ton of resources and focus, and it's better to keep the game focused on the bits that already work really well.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Glad to see the back of the airfight section. Didn't like it in the original and Xcom:EU didn't really change things to make it better. Unique facilities sounds good too, but I doubt it would amount to more than the "amass supplies and buy all the upgrades" route unfortunately. Some (hard?) choice of mutually exclusive upgrades would be neat imo.

Dervyn fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 17, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Night10194 posted:

I get the feeling that it's less that they can't make the air war work and more that making the air war work would take a major redesign and a ton of resources and focus, and it's better to keep the game focused on the bits that already work really well.

Sounds a lot like this. "Air game sucked. We could probably improve it and make something better but removing it won't upset anyone and saves time to work on other things." Is basically how I'd look at it. I played Xenonauts and thought the air game there was cool, but it definitely got tedious and I never trusted autoresolve not to gently caress up and murder my planes.

I hope we get a lot of interesting building modules that we can vary up for different things in our base. I'd love to see how things change up.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'd dig something like the upgrades in the various StarCraft 2 games. You pick A or B for each building and get a unique bonus for each one. I want to make some actual choices.

On a different track, the only ways to avoid the 'hero squad' problem from EU is to up lethality significantly, such that you always need more troops in the pipe, introduce a fatigue system like LW so you need multiple hero squads, or have something compelling for troops to do besides missions that pop up at irregular times and need different troop compositions. I hope they do some kind of 'side op' system where you have troops constantly coming and going on minor, but valuable, resistance ops. You'd be constantly faced with the choice between keeping your best troops on the Avenger for missions and sending them out on resistance ops for bonus resources.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pomp posted:

Mod in Kaz.

"You're taking him. ?"

Every game with transport extraction needs Pequod too
and extraction music obviously

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I'm pretty sure that the lore reason for air removal is because your only planes are the skyrangers and avenger, And Advent won't blow up the avenger as it has (the commander) a thing that they want on it.Or something.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Id like to see the base layout still require some thought but be focused on picking locational and adjacency bonuses. Like you can have just one workshop, but it upgrades and depending on who its neighbors are it gets benefits, or there's an alien device in that room that b makes it work faster or lower power requirements our offer refunds on materials or something. Instead of building a block of power generators you upgrade the reactor, and buildings next to it gain some kind of efficiency bonus because they are so close to the reactor.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Hey, I get a pass because I'm autistic!
And why does everyone hate me because IM EXCITED ABOUT A GAME AND TALK ABOUT THE GAME ON A FORUM ABOUT THE GAME!!!
Losers.
Idiots.

I'm kinda sad for his parents he got probated, because that means they have to spend their time with him now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe he's real. Why wouldn't he just go post on some other site more accepting of his, um, style?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
please god, when he comes back, let him start the puppet master defense

Content: Power armor has got to be in the game. Those weird exosuits enemies are essentially that, right?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My heart will break if you can't have big bulky mech suits like the ones in EW

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I liked the airgame, even in LW, but I don't mind that they are removing it, 2's a different game.

The only thing I have not liked so far is they seem to have kept some of the super-annoying nagging in missions. The Blacksite mission has Bradford popping up every few turns to "remind you" you need to pick up the vial of glowy poo poo (Is it Meld?). gently caress off, Bradford, I know the objective but I am the commander and I am setting up a sweet flank on this Advent pod.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LotsBread posted:

Content: Power armor has got to be in the game. Those weird exosuits enemies are essentially that, right?

I imagine they have to, I mean, the exo-suit looks like the low-tier tech version for something that would be a full-fledged ironman suit by titan armor tier.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LotsBread posted:

I'm with Mordaedil, I really got the impression the exosuit is like "tier 1" of assisted power suits, and that you'll definitely tech into better stuff down the line.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LotsBread posted:

When he comes back he should have spent this three day probation learning what sort of posts are acceptable for the thread and which ones to respond to.

It is homework that he has been assigned.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Are the ADVENT MEC's robots, or are they piloted? I Know they can be hacked which led me to believe they were robots, but they're described as "Like MEC troopers from EW".

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I liked the airgame, even in LW, but I don't mind that they are removing it, 2's a different game.

You have bad wrong opinions and terrible tastes in fun. Stop liking things I don't like!

Darkrenown posted:

The only thing I have not liked so far is they seem to have kept some of the super-annoying nagging in missions. The Blacksite mission has Bradford popping up every few turns to "remind you" you need to pick up the vial of glowy poo poo (Is it Meld?). gently caress off, Bradford, I know the objective but I am the commander and I am setting up a sweet flank on this Advent pod.

To be fair, in one of Beagle's videos he completely forgot about the main objective until Bradford yelled at him that time was running out. I appreciate it when a game tries to keep me focused on the time-sensitive task at hand, but I would also appreciate if XCOM2 came with a 'Shut-up Bradford!' option that let me just fail from being an idiot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

When he comes back he should have spent this three day probation learning what sort of posts are acceptable for the thread and which ones to respond to.

It is homework that he has been assigned.

He's preparing to become a high-school dropout, so I don't expect him to perform any sort of home-work assignments. After all, he is disabled and that is his excuse.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

He's preparing to become a high-school dropout, so I don't expect him to perform any sort of home-work assignments. After all, he is disabled and that is his excuse.

I am prepared to give him a chance to change his ways. If he fails this assignment then I am afraid he will have flunked "Professor VideoGames Teaches: Suitable XCOM2 Thread Posting 101". If he cannot pass my class, he cannot attend the thread.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm pretty inclined to think that the mid game twist will be that Vahlen is working for Advent. I like the thought of her exhorting shock lancers to bring back XCOM operatives alive, and chastising MECs for using explosive weapons.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Not a Step posted:

You have bad wrong opinions and terrible tastes in fun. Stop liking things I don't like!

Never! Furthermore, you are a horrible person! :colbert:

Not a Step posted:

To be fair, in one of Beagle's videos he completely forgot about the main objective until Bradford yelled at him that time was running out. I appreciate it when a game tries to keep me focused on the time-sensitive task at hand, but I would also appreciate if XCOM2 came with a 'Shut-up Bradford!' option that let me just fail from being an idiot.

It's ok for timed objectives, as long as it's not as bad as Shen explaining what a bomb is and how it is about to explode every turn, but the Blacksite mission isn't the timed one. You just have to pick up a vial and then escape (some aliens drop in once you pick it up), but Bradford starts nagging you as soon as it comes into sight and then, I think, every other turn afterwards. Maybe I want to kill the other patrol and put my team into cover before I trigger more spawns, Bradford! You're not my real dad!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ravenfood posted:

My only irritation with the DLC is that now I need to cancel my preorder for the base game so I can preorder the Deluxe edition.

Contact Steam, I know Robzilla had great success with it.

SpookyLizard posted:

Xenonauts added a whole extra minigame to interception with more depth and stuff, and it's kinda neat, but it's got some rad music to it, but I'm not sure if it's actually good, because I never got very good at it and kinda preferred just using the autoresolve.

Its good, but it gets tedious. On the flip side the "ultimate" aircraft in that game is to simply flip the bird at whatever gigantic alien warship is landing by obliterating it with a concentrated nuclear strike via a "Fusion Bomb" or something similar. Its pretty amazing to see "ALIEN DREADNOUGHT, MISSION: TERROR." and stop a terror attack because you nuke the loving UFO before it can touch down, causing zero collateral damage in the process. :fuckoff: :getin:

RandallODim posted:

haha yes eat all the dicks interceptor-lovers dogfight gameplay in EU loving SUCKED and even Jake knows it

It should be replaced with TRUE INTERCEPTOR GAMEPLAY! :unsmigghh:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I kind of like Interceptor play in principle just because I like having another bunch of things to research because research trees are my favourite thing, but I prefer the interceptor combat in the original XCOM.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Vib Rib posted:

I'm with Mordaedil, I really got the impression the exosuit is like "tier 1" of assisted power suits, and that you'll definitely tech into better stuff down the line.

And final tier is, ofc, the turtle fatman suits we've all grown up with and love in the 90s.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Contact Steam, I know Robzilla had great success with it.

Should be no problem canceling preorders in Steam these days. In fact, can you not cancel them yourself from the accounts page now?
E: Yeah:
https://www.vg247.com/2014/01/25/steam-users-can-now-cancel-pre-ordered-titles-refund-will-be-deposited-into-steam-wallet/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe interceptor combat would be better if it played something like ace patrol. As is it's pretty much just a static minigame.

As for the training roulette it would be cool if the equipment unique perks had alternate upgrades instead that you could never get normally.

Like, instead of the ranger's normal choice you'd have

the stealth perk (that can be changed with another non weapon perk)

or

alt blade master that adds +4 damage to sword attacks but you can't use it after a dash anymore.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Thyrork posted:

It should be replaced with TRUE INTERCEPTOR GAMEPLAY! :unsmigghh:

Not gonna lie, I'd love this so hard in modern XCOM.

If CoD jerkwads can jump out of planes, 360 noscope someone, then hop back into their plane, I can take down a battleship with avalanches in a jet.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

WTB Ace Combat: XCOM

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
XCOM Thunder

(complete with massive 5-month grinds for the Avenger)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sid Meier's XCOM: Ace Patrol

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey, since I couldn't find the old Xcom thread I hope you don't mind me asking this. Sort of a dumb question and I've brought it on myself by selecting it but is there a way for me to edit my save in Enemy Within to turn off damage roulette? My third time through the game and I though I'd play it on classic again but put on all the crazy second wave options. Turns out I hate damage roulette because it turns every clutch shot that should make me go "Yeah!" into a disappointment two seconds later when it does 1 damage and I overkill every Sectoid by about 3 times it's health.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

XCOM vs TIE Fighter

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Falcon 4.0: XCOM

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd actually be pretty happy with ACE-COM. :unsmith:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Same. Basically all arguments about LW air game amount to not wanting to buy interceptors and satellites even though doing so nets you tons of extra cash and resources. Everyone wants to start by maxing their ballistic tactilol loadouts.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

personally i'm looking forward to whatever game the long war developers are putting together, can you imagine the dumb decisions they'll come up with from a fresh canvas?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

personally i'm looking forward to whatever game the long war developers are putting together, can you imagine the dumb decisions they'll come up with from a fresh canvas?

From what I know of Terra Invictus it won't be for everybody.

But don't worry! Pretty certain Johnnylump will mod XCOM 2 so people will have another completely optional vector for whining.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Dark Souls + Megaman 2 difficulty, with IWBTG controls, and early 90's RPG stat transparency is my guess. They're more about the "experience" than the actual game, so they'll chalk it up as art and being their vision.

You know, if peoples' idea of a fun vision is repeatedly stepping on your balls with spiked cleats in the middle of an earthquake within a firestorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Since the region map is randomly generate I wonder if it would be possible to make a mod to reshape the earth's geography to fit it. It's going to be kinda weird to have a random map overlayed on a static one.

I also can't wait until someone makes region specific assets for the combat map.

• Locked thread