Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Less sitting in his underwear spitting poo poo over twitter and referring to his blog than being extraordinarily satisfied with jumping out to build his own game and resume his own preferred brand of communicating with his fanbase rather than fighting to bring the HMS Star Citizen home/not be thrown overboard.

Also man WMH was really good for the game. Skip to 7:46, what a good and smart thing to do.

Yeah, he actually has a segment now where he reads negative reviews of his game and addresses the issues brought up by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, he actually has a segment now where he reads negative reviews of his game and addresses the issues brought up by them.
Yeah well Chris has a weekly segment where fans ask him to do the insipid and impossible and he says "No problem" so I kind of think it balances out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I didn't realise he was behind Descent... lol. Chris must hate him.

Did Wingman see sense and leave, or was he fired from CiG?

e: lol at his dig at Chris in his latest video (or at least I think it might be a dig)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 17, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

Sandi wanted to take over as the face of the company and re-center the operation near Hollywood so she could pursue her acting career again. Wingman saw the writing on the wall. And here we are.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Aside from the main reason being he wouldn't frikking move to LA due to the whole Hollywood gambit, I specifically remember there being a ton of talk that Wingman and Sandi basically came to heads, though both obviously denied it. Wingman, cause he didn't want to keep stirring the pot and just wanted to make a clean break probably without having it put on his record that he badmouths former employers, and Sandi because DUH.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WebDog posted:

That Pupil to Planet thing is one tragically hilarious attempt to upstage ED's own little video they made during beta testing with the debug camera. No fancy polish or syncing up animations just "hey I zoomed out when mucking around and this looked really cool, so we showed it off."

You have to understand that Cryengne basically runs off creating a landscape via heightmap where you then add in prefab components to create rooms and so forth. It was coded for a tech demo for Nvidia and then expanded into a game. Large voxel landscapes full of procedurally generated trees is a pretty old trick in the book.
Hey now. Back in 1993, the world didn't have any trees… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_nUbcIdWA

Time to fire up DOSBox again after seeing that…

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Couldn't that be an indicator that he realised how much he was making GBS threads on the project attempting to micromanage it that he specifically doesn't even play it anymore otherwise he will start wanting to change things? It looks like he hasn't played it in a long while and look what happened; He started wanting things changed.
Well, any competent person would see this as a moment of clarity and be embarrassed that their game is a joke but when you've garnered a cult following, that feeling dies down. Chris even went through this before with his "I swear it was working an hour ago!" moment when he was demo'ing Arena Commander at one of their CitCons. After multiple crashes and issues, all the fans could do was chant "HELMET!" and any crashes would be forgotten the instant they saw that animation. Even after yesterday the fanboys are writing off nearly all the livestream issues because they're 150% certain he's eventually going to release the game of the century.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't believe that they found that endearing. That poo poo was pathetic. It was embarrassing to watch. He looked completely out of touch, both from what was going on in his own game to looking like someone who has never played a game before.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fuctifino posted:

e: lol at his dig at Chris in his latest video (or at least I think it might be a dig)

That sounded like they were talking about a VR client that they couldn't talk about.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Did he really call it a movie instead of a game on more than one occasion?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sillybones posted:

Couldn't that be an indicator that he realised how much he was making GBS threads on the project attempting to micromanage it that he specifically doesn't even play it anymore otherwise he will start wanting to change things? It looks like he hasn't played it in a long while and look what happened; He started wanting things changed.

The criticism against CR was that he would micromanage things like the lacing of boots, or approve something and then un-approve it after he changed his mind. There's a pretty significant difference between that and being so out of touch with your product that you don't even know how lovely a basic function like chat is. It's blatantly clear that not only had they not done any prep work to make sure things were playable (like making sure your loving throttle is plugged in), but that it wouldn't have mattered because he hadn't really touched that build in the first place.

Dapper Dan posted:

I can't believe that they found that endearing. That poo poo was pathetic. It was embarrassing to watch. He looked completely out of touch, both from what was going on in his own game to looking like someone who has never played a game before.

Apparently you don't actually have to play PC games in order to save PC gaming.

Wafflz posted:

Did he really call it a movie instead of a game on more than one occasion?

Yes. It's rather blatant just how much bigger a priority his machinima movie is compared to the actual game. Look at how pissed off he gets during the Q&A sessions when he wants people to ask him about playing director and SQ42 instead of gameplay.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

What happened with Wingman? I saw the forum screenshots where they lied about his absence, and Sandi taking over his role, but what was the full story with him?

Basically this:

CIG Austin was to be the heavy lifting studio; doing all the grunt work of coding, design, testing, server structure, tech investigating, tool creation, the works. CIG Hollywood (Santa Monica) was to be the pretty front office where CR surrounded himself with the concept artists and PR machine. CR felt he wasn't in control of game production enough, and started poaching key staff from Austin to Hollywood (like Forrest and Pete MacKay) around Arena Commander's release. This is where actual production came to a crawl, where Austin was building on the work they've been doing for over a year, and Hollywood doing something completely different with the same to-do list. Everything, piece by piece, had to be redone to Hollywood's specs and branch. This became a thorn in Peterson's management side, as now everyone was answering to CR and Hollywood far more directly rather than up the traditional management chain established with Eric being the Austin studio director, taking orders from Hollywood, and doling out work as needed to the studio under his management.

This came alongside Sandi wanting a more hands-on role with the marketing and media of Star Citizen because, as any actor knows, any screen time is good screen time. She believed that consolidating all the forward facing PR and CS people under the Hollywood roof would be more efficient for filming. Everyone saw Peterson as the everyday face of of Star Citizen, CR as the Pope, and Sandi was this woman who was there. No one knew who she was, and this irked her to no end. So the decision was made to end Wingman's Hangar and transition to ATV with Sandi and Ben filling both Peterson roles of nerd and charisma. While Peterson admitted that Wingman's Hangar took a chunk of time best left to development, it was a part of the week he looked forward to because he got to interact with fans, show off their weird tributes, and show all the cool stuff he and the studio had been working on. Shortly after the termination of Wingman's Hangar, Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan was let go. AFAIK, he was not given the "come to Hollywood" offer, and I doubt he would have for other reasons I have alluded to in previous posts.

Eventually, the decision was made a long time ago that Hollywood would become the combined front office AND heavy lifting studio, because CR wanted all art and gameplay development under his roof. CR couldn't poach from UK, due to employee loyalty owing only to Erin as well as work visas, relocation compensation, and other international hurdles. As such, CR had to demand Peterson to move to Hollywood in order for him to continue working on the project. CR still wanted Peterson, because they're old pals and Peterson knows how to run a studio, but there was no question that Peterson could an would be replaced if he did not move.

Peterson declined to move, mostly because his family was well entrenched in Austin, but also because it was the last straw in a lot of management squabbles.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The criticism against CR was that he would micromanage things like the lacing of boots, or approve something and then un-approve it after he changed his mind. There's a pretty significant difference between that and being so out of touch with your product that you don't even know how lovely a basic function like chat is. It's blatantly clear that not only had they not done any prep work to make sure things were playable (like making sure your loving throttle is plugged in), but that it wouldn't have mattered because he hadn't really touched that build in the first place.

You mean these tweets are fake?!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It always, always comes back to Sandis ego. Every single thing :psyduck:

Edit: it pains me that p gabz was probated before being able to ask Shitizens if CRoberts was a psychopathic rear end in a top hat griefer. Taken from us too soon. :rip:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

TTerrible posted:

yeah if it wasn't for Sandi the game would be finished

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently you don't actually have to play PC games in order to save PC gaming.

If I didn't know who he was, I would think he had never played a game before. And it is quite obvious to me that he hasn't since he left the industry.

It is no wonder that he promises things that are completely out of scope. He hasn't played a game (even his own game) in a very long time.

And you are right, it is clear that he only cares about Squadron 42 way more than the PTU. Except, of course, when ED releases something. I'm glad that Horizons is on the Steam top sellers list.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bootcha posted:

started poaching key staff from Austin to Hollywood

Did anyone pack up everything and move to hollywood only to be let go? Because lol if so.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bootcha posted:

Basically this:

CIG Austin was to be the heavy lifting studio; doing all the grunt work of coding, design, testing, server structure, tech investigating, tool creation, the works. CIG Hollywood (Santa Monica) was to be the pretty front office where CR surrounded himself with the concept artists and PR machine. CR felt he wasn't in control of game production enough, and started poaching key staff from Austin to Hollywood (like Forrest and Pete MacKay) around Arena Commander's release. This is where actual production came to a crawl, where Austin was building on the work they've been doing for over a year, and Hollywood doing something completely different with the same to-do list. Everything, piece by piece, had to be redone to Hollywood's specs and branch. This became a thorn in Peterson's management side, as now everyone was answering to CR and Hollywood far more directly rather than up the traditional management chain established with Eric being the Austin studio director, taking orders from Hollywood, and doling out work as needed to the studio under his management.

This came alongside Sandi wanting a more hands-on role with the marketing and media of Star Citizen because, as any actor knows, any screen time is good screen time. She believed that consolidating all the forward facing PR and CS people under the Hollywood roof would be more efficient for filming. Everyone saw Peterson as the everyday face of of Star Citizen, CR as the Pope, and Sandi was this woman who was there. No one knew who she was, and this irked her to no end. So the decision was made to end Wingman's Hangar and transition to ATV with Sandi and Ben filling both Peterson roles of nerd and charisma. While Peterson admitted that Wingman's Hangar took a chunk of time best left to development, it was a part of the week he looked forward to because he got to interact with fans, show off their weird tributes, and show all the cool stuff he and the studio had been working on. Shortly after the termination of Wingman's Hangar, Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan was let go. AFAIK, he was not given the "come to Hollywood" offer, and I doubt he would have for other reasons I have alluded to in previous posts.

Eventually, the decision was made a long time ago that Hollywood would become the combined front office AND heavy lifting studio, because CR wanted all art and gameplay development under his roof. CR couldn't poach from UK, due to employee loyalty owing only to Erin as well as work visas, relocation compensation, and other international hurdles. As such, CR had to demand Peterson to move to Hollywood in order for him to continue working on the project. CR still wanted Peterson, because they're old pals and Peterson knows how to run a studio, but there was no question that Peterson could an would be replaced if he did not move.

Peterson declined to move, mostly because his family was well entrenched in Austin, but also because it was the last straw in a lot of management squabbles.

To put this into context Peterson's weekly updates were the primary link between the company and the backers. Questions were answered with honest information by the two people best in place to answer them, the Austin studio itself was sufficiently detached from CR that they could actually get work done, and Wingman's Hangar had evolved into a polished and incredibly well received show. Compared to the sterile and soulless ATV it was a breath of fresh air and was actually fun to watch, especially as they evolved from a green screen in the corner of a room to its own studio. The loss of WMH occurred around the same time that the DFM was delayed and we saw a huge dropoff in the quality of information provided by CIG. It's interesting to think about how different things would have developed had CR kept things as they were before.

Daztek posted:

I don't know what's real anymore, but either he's lying or he never pressed F12 during the entire hour that he played and tried to communicate. I could be wrong and he actually did play the stupid thing before and just magically rediscovered how terrible his interface is, but my genuine impression from how he handled things was that his exposure to the build is incredibly limited. Maybe this will be a turning point and he'll realize that quality of life updates are kind of important too. Amusingly enough Peterson's company makes a policy of alternating between content and quality of life builds.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

Is that what I'm seeing at 0:52, with a distinct difference between the quality of the bespoke assets and the procedural stuff? It really is rather jarring.

Yeah that's one of the more damning aspects of this entire fiasco.

Yup, and not only that, they use a classic misdirection by bridging the gap with a wordy subtitle to distract you.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Did anyone pack up everything and move to hollywood only to be let go? Because lol if so.

There have been a few, yes.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Daztek posted:

That last tweet will never not be amazing. For future reference Crobber you could say much the same thing but just without the words "over an hour crash free" and you wouldn't look like an incompetent dickhead.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bootcha posted:

Shortly after the termination of Wingman's Hangar, Michael "Viewmaster" Morlan was let go. AFAIK, he was not given the "come to Hollywood" offer, and I doubt he would have for other reasons I have alluded to in previous posts.

This is so retarded of them. Michael Morlan's production was, like, the one thing that I noted about Wingman's Hangar that was so critical in making it feel genuinely homey. I know a lot of goons here bitched and yapped about how WH was just the same old poo poo back in 2013, but goddamit I actually found some of their gags and just the entire approach they took with it to be a genuinely nice change of pace and actually quite fit the whole 'not like the publishers do' thing they keep claiming very well.

For them to make zero effort to retain him (even if he said no) shows a complete lack of eye for competency, let alone talent, IMO on CIG's part. But I guess when you let go folks like that, hey - they can enjoy the complete shitshows that they put on regularly, like just yesterday!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Sandi could be the bitchiest most machiavellian shrew ever and it would still be Chris' fault. He is the one that has the final word and I doubt anything Sandi does goes against his wishes. It's funny mocking her because she comes off as incredibly nasty but she is not the person responsible for this fiasco.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"Over an hour crash free". Hilarious. He posts it like a child showing their parent a piece of scrap paper smeared in poster paint that vaguely resembles a Dinosaur, and the idiot Redditors react like the parents who praise their beloved child, despite the fact that all it did was make a huge mess.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

For them to make zero effort to retain him (even if he said no) shows a complete lack of eye for competency, let alone talent, IMO on CIG's part.

They do not strike me as people that value competency as much as they do loyalty. Get the impression that if you can kiss butt you'll do well but dare to speak against them it's curtains, no matter how sensible your opinion might be. I've worked for arseholes like that and it's miserable.

spacetoaster posted:

It wasn't much effort for some of them. Ben just got pushed off a loading ramp on his arse-chair and went straight into the back of a moving truck.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Instead of asking "Why? (Do they have such expensive furniture)" Star Citizens ask "Where? (Can I get one)" :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

Basically this:

I love how much substantiated information that you have because of your previous status that isn't really part of an NDA. Its just the mechanics of the studio. Smart can tell us a lot of stuff that happens, but its such a good read when its written out like you just ddi

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

Since it's pretty clear he'd never played the game before yesterday I'm going to put my money on Yes.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Last night I got very high and watched the stream.

My high was so incredible that I could literally feel the panic and desperation Croberts was putting out. I felt connected to him at that moment when his game crashed infront of everyone. I felt legitimately sorry for him.

Then I had the realization that he brought this on himself, there was no point in feeling bad for him or feeling any empathy.

All of the video can clearly be seen as a tech demo, as stated by previous poster. You can right now download the Unreal Engine 4, and using premade tools and code from their Marketplace, simulate the exact sort of "game" they showed off last night.

I know this because I've done this exact thing, although in the architect/home building industry.

Lighting systems, particle systems, I've implemented them all without writing my own lines of code. That atmosphere stuff lighting? All pre-built into the engine.

From what we've seen, they should have had all that stuff done within the first few months with the size and skill of their team. What exactly have they been working on? Seems like they keep trying to reinvent the wheel every time they run into an issue.

What I'm interested in is what is going to happen when this fails? What do they do when they run out of money? Declare bankruptcy? No publisher would "buy" this "game", they already have working systems that they know work and don't look like rear end.

Does Croberts face criminal punishment for this blunder?

How long until he and people close to the project go "missing" on a trip to Mexico?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

How long until he and people close to the project go "missing" on a trip to Mexico?

Two weeks.

:rimshot:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
The only enjoyable aspect of the Pupil bullshot is Pedro Macedo Camacho's music. Perfect for making stupid people think they're being affected by what they're watching. Like when people put Hans Zimmer music behind a pet montage and their idiot friends and family all gush about what a moving film they've made.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

For them to make zero effort to retain him (even if he said no) shows a complete lack of eye for competency, let alone talent, IMO on CIG's part.

Theeeeere's a lot more to that story, mostly on the upper management side of things. THAT I can't talk about.

alphabettitouretti posted:

It wasn't much effort for some of them. Ben just got pushed off a loading ramp on his arse-chair and went straight into the back of a moving truck.

I moved Ben IN and OUT of his place in Austin.

There was effort involved.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"terribly exciting, isn't it?" he says with utter disdain. In the moments that followed, it slowly dawned on Chris Roberts that this was his own game he was playing. This was it, his magnum opus, and he was bored to tears. "Why do my eyes keep rolling up into the back of my head, like someone's laid down the wettest of farts into my vomeronasal receptors?" he thinks to himself. There's only one thing to do when this nightmare is finished. "Some UI programmer is loving fired, I don't care how long he's been trying to tell me about this" Roberts declares to himself. He gets up from his chair and sidles next to Sandi for comfort and reassurance. He looks into her eyes and glimpses, for the first time, the loneliness of space.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Daztek posted:

CRoberts didn't look like he had played any video games in the last 20 years let alone his own.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

Is that what I'm seeing at 0:52, with a distinct difference between the quality of the bespoke assets and the procedural stuff? It really is rather jarring.

Yeah that's one of the more damning aspects of this entire fiasco.

You can actually see, where the high-detailed and hand-crafted terrain starts poking through the less detailed noise map:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chin posted:

The only enjoyable aspect of the Pupil bullshot is Pedro Macedo Camacho's music. Perfect for making stupid people think they're being affected by what they're watching. Like when people put Hans Zimmer music behind a pet montage and their idiot friends and family all gush about what a moving film they've made.

Please buy my jpegs

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

Seems like they keep trying to reinvent the wheel every time they run into an issue.

You have no loving idea how close to the truth you are with this statement.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Plankalkuel posted:

You can actually see, where the high-detailed and hand-crafted terrain starts poking through the less detailed noise map:

why is this bad? were people were expecting them to hand-craft the whole planet?

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Plankalkuel posted:

Yeah, as it was zooming out I was thinking "well despite this whole disaster, that looks pretty darn good for real-time rendered procedurally generated terrain" and then it zoomed out to the Kerbal Space Program quality terrain. Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bootcha posted:

Theeeeere's a lot more to that story, mostly on the upper management side of things. THAT I can't talk about.
Don't hold out on us man

e: wait I read that as "THAT I can talk about".

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread