Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wyoak posted:

why is this bad? were people were expecting them to hand-craft the whole planet?
I first thought they were flying out over an ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Don't hold out on us man

He's got an NDA I'd bet

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

[ELI5] How is Star Citizen's seamless landing & procedural terrain technology different from other games ? Why is it groundbreaking? (ex. No Man's Sky, E:D, etc.)

quote:

Procedural generated terrain, at RUNTIME
Atmospheric effects, do you not notice the sunlight refraction? (E:D doesn't have that)
Way ahead of schedule, not even promised in full release
Seamless, no loading screens, no stuttering or noticeable pauses
Realistic theme and non-cockpit bound, as compared to E:D or NMS

It is mostly groundbreaking considering it is tech that is new for Star Citizen. Sure, planetary landing isn't new, but this is a great step for SC, and that combined with the realism will make unparalleled immersion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yesterday was the most magical this tale has been since the dawn of :gary:

Anyone want to bet that once TFA comes out Chris-R is going to adding some sort of Space Magic system to SC?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chin posted:

The only enjoyable aspect of the Pupil bullshot is Pedro Macedo Camacho's music. Perfect for making stupid people think they're being affected by what they're watching. Like when people put Hans Zimmer music behind a pet montage and their idiot friends and family all gush about what a moving film they've made.

I was astonished at how many people said my bugs of star citizen video was "Epic." I expressly chose the stupidly over-the-top epic music because it was so unfitting to the visuals, but music is a powerful thing, emotionally.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

wyoak posted:

why is this bad? were people were expecting them to hand-craft the whole planet?
I think it's more to do with the fact that there's been zero attempt to smoothly blend the two like a competent artist would do, and also the low-quality terrain is just standard stuff any game engine can easily do out of the box.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dapper Dan posted:

I can't help but roll my eyes at the Shitzens who think that procedural planet gen means something. Its another flashy commercial to sell jpegs. It is long past the point where flashy commercials and trailers matter. It is put your money where your mouth is time. You've had 4 years and produced a portion of content that should have been available two years ago and barely represents anything promised. Even if you have procedural planetary generation, so what? The game is so badly optimized it has trouble running on a computer with SLI Titans, a machine that can conceivably run any game ever made on the highest settings at 4k. How do you think it is going to handle planetary generation with that level of fidelity (hint: it won't).

Also, explain to me the logic of putting in procedural planetary generation when: You have released jack and poo poo regarding squadron 42, except for developers who had to make pew pew noises at PC gamer journalists because there wasn't even anything to show for it, major systems are still missing (the whole game part) and how are you going from a 16 player instance to a seamless world with thousands of players? Also mushmouth hasn't even played his own loving game.

And lol at these retards complaining about ED when the average shitzen is in for $90+ and people who paid $180 don't even get the loving game included (which coincidentally, is the lifetime price for ED). These people are so loving stupid it boggles my mind

If S42 was the MAIN GAME pitch on KS then they certainly spend a lot of their effort showing the slapped on PU during their live streams... did they talk about S42 at all? I was in and out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thanks everyone for the detailed info about Wingman. He seems like a really cool and talented guy, and it was very much CiG's loss that he no longer works for them.

Chin posted:

The only enjoyable aspect of the Pupil bullshot is Pedro Macedo Camacho's music. Perfect for making stupid people think they're being affected by what they're watching. Like when people put Hans Zimmer music behind a pet montage and their idiot friends and family all gush about what a moving film they've made.

Does this help?

http://vmashup.com/ObshkCVE

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bait and Swatch posted:

He's got an NDA I'd bet

yeah I missed the second t in that quote

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

If S42 was the MAIN GAME pitch on KS then they certainly spend a lot of their effort showing the slapped on PU during their live streams... did they talk about S42 at all? I was in and out.

They talked a bunch about/with actors from a movie called Squadron 42, does that count?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I first thought they were flying out over an ocean
It might not look as good as people want but people seem to be saying that the high-detail to low-detail transition means this doesn't count as a planetary landing for some reason or I'm misunderstanding the argument

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bootcha posted:

Theeeeere's a lot more to that story, mostly on the upper management side of things. THAT I can't talk about.

:(

Ah well, thank you still for chiming in. As always, you're well-worth the read.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Sandi could be the bitchiest most machiavellian shrew ever and it would still be Chris' fault. He is the one that has the final word and I doubt anything Sandi does goes against his wishes.

Have you ever been married?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Chin posted:

Just look at how, with the right music, even a goon made montage of the game loving up can be a huge success.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

Edit: oops, beaten

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

Theeeeere's a lot more to that story, mostly on the upper management side of things. THAT I can't talk about.

I moved Ben IN and OUT of his place in Austin.

There was effort involved.

lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MilesK posted:

Just look at how, with the right music, even a goon made montage of the game loving up can be a huge success.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

Edit: oops, beaten

those loving comments man

:yikes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Have you ever been married?

lmao

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Han Solo dies.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Sarsapariller posted:

The facade slipped a little yesterday, I think. Not to worry though, they won't be in front of a live camera again for almost a full year, if they make it that long.

That quote says "I know they aren't professional TV people" lmao yea they only have a guy who directs bad movies and his failing actress wife, really they have no experience!

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
What ever happened to the Uppsala Mafia and Fhris Roberts owing them money thing?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CashEnsign posted:

Han Solo dies.

We all do.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Beast of Bourbon posted:

What ever happened to the Uppsala Mafia and Fhris Roberts owing them money thing?

It fizzled out just like every other DS lead.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fun reddit thread going.

Guy is upset about the "limited" "flash-sales" for the Idris and Jav.

Apparently the extra steps you have to go though to use store credit to buy them slows you down enough that the "limited number" of JPEGs gets sold before you can complete checkout. He's upset because that makes the flash sales new cash only.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im dead

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was the glass on the table half-empty for the entire stream?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThatPerfectInEveryWaySmilieThatImTooLazyToLookFor.gif

:five:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

wyoak posted:

Because the claim was dynamic levels of detail depending on distance, which isn't what you're seeing here.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Procedural generated terrain, at RUNTIME
Atmospheric effects, do you not notice the sunlight refraction? (E:D doesn't have that)
Way ahead of schedule, not even promised in full release
Seamless, no loading screens, no stuttering or noticeable pauses
Realistic theme and non-cockpit bound, as compared to E:D or NMS

It is mostly groundbreaking considering it is tech that is new for Star Citizen. Sure, planetary landing isn't new, but this is a great step for SC, and that combined with the realism will make unparalleled immersion.

I love this. How did they think they were going to do 100 planets? Every rock, every crevice handcrafted? Or were the planets just going to be giant billiard balls and you didn't notice because "approach to the landing zones" would automatically take you through the only tiny visible area of each planet? If it was the latter then it wouldn't be much of a space sim compared to the competition, would it? They aren't innovating, they're trying not to become obsolete even before leaving alpha. Saying "oh they didn't think anyone would do it first" is just another failure on their part.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 17, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

ThatPerfectInEveryWaySmilieThatImTooLazyToLookFor.gif

:five:

:perfect:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

:vince:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Thirsty Dog posted:

Because the claim was dynamic levels of detail depending on distance, which isn't what you're seeing here.

Pretty sure that means its not generating all the terrain detail for the planet when you are a long way above it but as you get closer to the surface it generates more detail. Which it quite obviously is doing in the stuff they showed. You can see it pop in when he is zooming around the editor.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Two weeks ago Lando got huffy when someone said he wasn't a developer. How he implies he isn't and it's his job to pass things along to people who do the real work. I wonder if people ribbed him about it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

:golfclap:

Told yah he works on his game nerds

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That guy has a really weird definition for "working properly". Never let him work on your car.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

That guy has a really weird definition for "working properly". Never let him work on your car.

It's an alpha! Alphas are supposed to have bugs! Those other developers who release public alphas that don't continually have clipping errors and CTDs are doing it wrong, they're idiots!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

I love this. How did they think they were going to do 100 planets? Every rock, every crevice handcrafted? Or were the planets just going to be giant billiard balls and you didn't notice because "approach to the landing zones" would automatically take you through the only tiny visible area of each planet? If it was the latter then it wouldn't be much of a space sim compared to the competition, would it? They aren't innovating, they're trying not to become obsolete even before leaving alpha. Saying "oh they didn't think anyone would do it first" is just another failure on their part.

Made even more fun by the fact that KSP offers all of that…

…and also an actual physics-based (i.e. point thrust, drag, lift etc) flight model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread