Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ronda is similar to royce in a few ways. one is that overmatches her opponents on the ground. which is obvious and simple. no one has even been able to stall her out on the ground, let alone find success there. both exploited the fact that their opponents either could not or did not care to avoid the clinch, despite the fact that being in a clinch is a severely bad place to be against royce/ronda, particularly for people who can't stop trips and throws from that position.

the major difference is that ronda will continue to find success in the clinch if she gets no matter what the skill level of her opponent, she posses much better striking and power, and has more avenues to get to the clinch. ronda will more often be able to work from the top, ronda's gnp will open up better positions more quickly, ronda is fighting people her own size, ronda seems physically very strong for her weight class, etc. etc. etc.

will there be a sakuraba to ronda? will there be someone to take her to the limit, beat her sister, beat her idiot cousin renza, and then lose badly to everyone imaginable? will there be a matt hughes equivalent? someone who will smoke her in grappling 10 years down the line? i don't think the skill level will pass ronda anywhere near as significantly as did royce in the course of 10 years, but who loving knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Ronda will retire before 30 so we may never see her lose a fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Part of the difference to is that for years Royce was all about bjj whereas Rhonda is already probably the best striker in her division. Such great heights and all that but all you gotta be is better than the person across from you.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

1st AD posted:

I think Ronda will retire before 30 so we may never see her lose a fight.

I'm rooting for her to pull this off.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I'm rooting for her to pull this off.
I don't want her to retire early.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'd love to see a great finish undefeated. I used to think Fedor would do it, this I thought Anderson might, maybe Ronda? I'm sure I just loving jinxed her hard.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
GSP pretty much did that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Lloyd Boner posted:

GSP pretty much did that.

MATT SERRA

Sorry I don't get to yell that as much as I used to.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Anderson was beaten even before entering the UFC though?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

origami posted:

Anderson was beaten even before entering the UFC though?

Don't poke holes in my brain thinkins please.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
So more like Evan Tanner I guess. See y'all in the desert

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Captain Log posted:

I'd love to see a great finish undefeated. I used to think Fedor would do it, this I thought Anderson might, maybe Ronda? I'm sure I just loving jinxed her hard.

WEEEEEEELP!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
UFC video game curse came early

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

really cool how people thought diego getting the poo poo beat out of him was fight of the year

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
If I wanted to get into the style and how boxing works, what would I read? Because I'd like to get into the science of boxing, but not really watch anything.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hi guys, looking here to get into music. I'd like to read about it but I'd rather not listen to anything. Any recommendations?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

attackmole posted:

Hi guys, looking here to get into music. I'd like to read about it but I'd rather not listen to anything. Any recommendations?

highly uncalled for

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
You can take books with you and read them, they aren't loud and they usually have lots of interesting information that is hard to capture in a short video.

Why are you getting incredulous over someone asking for a book recommendation?

e- To the guy asking the question, I read a book a long time ago that I can't remember the name of, but any good boxing book worth it's salt will mention fighters and fights that exemplify styles/style matchups etc. I would reccommend tracking the fights down on youtube after you've taken in the information yourself to get a better idea of what they're talking about. Not only are you able to see the details in action, but boxing was way better back in the days authors usually draw their samples from. Ali Frazier 1 is basically timeless. It's not like watching MMA from 15 years ago.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 25, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

attackmole posted:

read OH WORD SON's posts about teddy atlas to really understand boxing. e.g.

"You gotta... Joe... You gotta get him in the gut. You know, put money in the bank. because you don't wanna get caught spendin' with both hands. cause he's an animal... so no what do you do? you gotta get on your bicycle- but the tires are flat. so now what do you do? if the pharmacy got the correct medicines- you know, they can't use that super glue any more. you gotta get a new bike tire. but the store is far away. so you go through the- Joe, they're like a spending guy with fat hands, they're just tradin back and forth, giving us fireworks! it reminds me of the ferris wheel, joe, slowly rotating from the bottom to the top. like an elevator. if you wanted to see fireworks, you gotta go to the fair, but if you wanted to see left hooks to the body and right hooks to the body and uppercuts to the body you stay right here. you don't stand in the rain with an umbrella when the rains comin sideways, because cars are comin. CARS ARE COMIN. he's comin, joe. he got one. i get headaches when i watch channel 4."

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Seltzer posted:

You can take books with you and read them, they aren't loud and they usually have lots of interesting information that is hard to capture in a short video.

Why are you getting incredulous over someone asking for a book recommendation?

e- To the guy asking the question, I read a book a long time ago that I can't remember the name of, but any good boxing book worth it's salt will mention fighters and fights that exemplify styles/style matchups etc. I would reccommend tracking the fights down on youtube after you've taken in the information yourself to get a better idea of what they're talking about. Not only are you able to see the details in action, but boxing was way better back in the days authors usually draw their samples from. Ali Frazier 1 is basically timeless. It's not like watching MMA from 15 years ago.

Yeah, thank you! Books and articles is what I'm really looking for so I can get some context of fights. Thank you!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I though Rousey's book was pretty awful, but I did enjoy reading her chapters about specific fights and judo matches and then looking up the videos to watch them with her comments in mind. I feel that I can almost understand a judo match now.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

david carmichael posted:

karo headbutting himself in the dick against alves then arguing that he wasn't out
Gonna need this expanded on.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Ditch posted:

Gonna need this expanded on.

he got kneed in the face, his body went limp and his face fell into his dick. then he lept into action like my father snoring in his recliner watching a western and you change the channel and he started claiming he was just resting his eyes

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
https://youtu.be/eSwyxw_oWY8?t=6m15s

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
joe rogan all like "i dunno mike, how can a man just fall asleep during hondo? i mean sure he was snoring with his body so reclined that it is a scientifical miracle that the recliner doesn't just flip over and if his eyes were open they would be facing the exact opposite direction as the television, but he seems pretty lucid and adamant that he was still watching that"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

david carmichael posted:

joe rogan all like "i dunno mike, how can a man just fall asleep during hondo? i mean sure he was snoring with his body so reclined that it is a scientifical miracle that the recliner doesn't just flip over and if his eyes were open they would be facing the exact opposite direction as the television, but he seems pretty lucid and adamant that he was still watching that"
lol

(also this is my mom, only with Law & Order)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
do amateur fighters cut weight too? if i had to guess, probably some do depending on the sport, but its not necessarily required to be competitive as an amateur right? like maybe its more important in grappling than say kickboxing or something. anyway, id like to know for sure.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

do amateur fighters cut weight too? if i had to guess, probably some do depending on the sport, but its not necessarily required to be competitive as an amateur right? like maybe its more important in grappling than say kickboxing or something. anyway, id like to know for sure.

lots of people don't cut weight in stuff like grappling, especially if there are same day weigh ins. but on the other hand pretty much everyone cuts weight for wrestling, even if there are same day weigh-ins. if there are day before weigh ins people are always going to cut weight, but at the amateur level you have a greater proportion of people who don't bother (because at the highest level it is approaching zero at every weight class but heavy).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

when I competed in kickboxing and mma as an amateur I cut weight, but only because I was slightly too fat for heavyweight and I didn't want to fight 400lb blob people who are hard to do anything against on account of their sheer corpulence and circumference. My overall experience was that anyone who was <5lbs over for a weight class just skipped lunch to make weight and everybody else just kinda fought at their natural weight. the amateur scene here isn't really that cuththroat though (unless you're a duke roufus guy nowadays I guess), and people see it more as an opportunity to build in-ring experience in a more serious environment.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fewer people are going to cut weight in amateur sports than professional sports just broadly for obvious reasons. Most people will be cutting at least a little weight for submission grappling, though, and most people cut a bit for amateur mma. There's much less cutting of weight for amateur mma around here than professional, but that's mostly because Jersey uses USKBA amateur rules which have same day weigh ins.

For grappling competitions I was usually cutting around 5-8 pounds for same day weigh ins and 10-15 for night before, and I was never what you'd call a high level competitor. Guys in the upper echelons are often cutting way more than that, but on the other hand guys in the upper echelons are also often not cutting at all because in a lot of the mid-level tournaments the only cash prizes are for the absolute division. So there's a lot of variance.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I would say weight cutting is pretty much universal for wrestling under UWW rules. Its 24hr weigh ins and the weight range per class is huge. When women's freestyle was added to the olympic program they kept the total number of medals the same as before when it was only two male styles.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm not a significant competitor, but I cut 9 pounds for my last judo tournament, and then used that weight cut to maintain weight for a bjj tournament two weeks later. Granted, part of why I did that cut was to see what it was like and if I could do it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thank you all for the answers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

I'm not a significant competitor, but I cut 9 pounds for my last judo tournament, and then used that weight cut to maintain weight for a bjj tournament two weeks later. Granted, part of why I did that cut was to see what it was like and if I could do it.

And what was your response? Will you be doing it again?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

And what was your response? Will you be doing it again?
It was a pretty unpleasant experience, but once I got into the rhythm of things I just kept at it the way that I do for a hard workout. Essentially I cut my calories to 1800/day (lean pork, brown/wild rice, and peas for pretty much every meal), cut my sodium to as close to zero as I could manage, and did an extra light cardio workout every day. I didn't end up needing to do an epsom salt bath to make the last two pounds. The day of I ate nothing but peanut butter and a single apple, and a cup of coffee with coconut oil in it for breakfast. The afternoon of the judo weigh-in I just threw on three layers of clothing, moved mats to set up the venue, and then jogged laps around the gym until they opened the scales. It was from 154.5->145.5, btw.

If I do it again I'll start the cut 3 weeks out instead of one week, or maybe like a week for every 3 or 4 pounds I have to do. This one was last minute because I had been misinformed as to what the weight classes were going to be for that tournament, and I previously thought that I only needed to do 2-3 lb. I knew that I could do it because I once burned 7 pounds in one day, mind you inadvertently. Knowing that you've passed the finish line once before makes the journey quite a bit easier.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
"Cutting weight" usually refers to the part right at the end when you cut water weight, if youre doing it 3 weeks before the competition its not cutting weight. thats just getting in shape

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

"Cutting weight" usually refers to the part right at the end when you cut water weight, if youre doing it 3 weeks before the competition its not cutting weight. thats just getting in shape

That's how it is in wrestling and mma, but boxers (at least in my experience) tend to refer to the entire process of losing fat over the course of a camp as "cutting weight", which leads to a lot of confusion.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ya boxers are real dumb

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
My favorite is when a retard will actually cut like 20 pounds of weight in a short of amount of time. Didn't Jake Shields do that for the Kampmann fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

1st AD posted:

My favorite is when a retard will actually cut like 20 pounds of weight in a short of amount of time. Didn't Jake Shields do that for the Kampmann fight?

Weidman claims he shaved 30 in a week to fight Maia.