Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

1st AD posted:

My favorite is when a retard will actually cut like 20 pounds of weight in a short of amount of time. Didn't Jake Shields do that for the Kampmann fight?

uhh they like all do that now. If not more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No from what I read, Jake cut 20 the day of weigh ins.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

1st AD posted:

Thats not that abnormal

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

That's not weird at all, Shields was just looking for an exucse for why he poo poo the bed against Kampmann.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I was under the impression that it was more typical to drop like ~10 on weigh-in day, outliers like Tibau or welterweight Rumble aside.

20 on the day of sounds like a lot and not very healthy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I was under the impression that it was more typical to drop like ~10 on weigh-in day, outliers like Tibau or welterweight Rumble aside.

20 pounds on weigh-in day is about average for any weight class above feather and many of the weight classes below. As noted, with day-before weigh ins I usually cut around 15 and I am about the least dedicated person to weight cutting you could possibly come up with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Got it, I wasn't taking into account that bigger people can lose more water weight.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

fatherdog posted:

I am about the least dedicated person to weight cutting you could possibly come up with.

does this mean it's not really much of a pain for you to cut the 15lbs? I always assumed anything over 10lbs meant suffering a great deal (even if you're doing it the correct way)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

does this mean it's not really much of a pain for you to cut the 15lbs? I always assumed anything over 10lbs meant suffering a great deal (even if you're doing it the correct way)

Last time I cut weight I did absolutely nothing until two days before. Two days before, I stopped eating carbs and started drinking two gallons of water per day. The day of, I got up at 8am, went to the gym and worked out for an hour and a half (thus sweating a great deal), ate nothing and drank only 16 ounces of green tea over the course of the day, and then weighed in at 7pm at 187. Then I went home and ate two bagels and two boxes of mac and cheese and three bags of reese pieces and a gallon of pedialyte, went to bed, got up in the morning and had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and rocked up to the tournament at around 202.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Last time I cut weight I did absolutely nothing until two days before. Two days before, I stopped eating carbs and started drinking two gallons of water per day. The day of, I got up at 8am, went to the gym and worked out for an hour and a half (thus sweating a great deal), ate nothing and drank only 16 ounces of green tea over the course of the day, and then weighed in at 7pm at 187. Then I went home and ate two bagels and two boxes of mac and cheese and three bags of reese pieces and a gallon of pedialyte, went to bed, got up in the morning and had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and rocked up to the tournament at around 202.

what was it like when you went to take a poo poo after

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I read that at the night before UFC 194 weigh-ins, fighters on average weighed 5% over their weight class. At previous events, fighters averaged 8% over their weigh-in weight the night before weigh-ins. Meaning that due to the new IV ban, fighters are cutting less weight overnight.

My question is, does this mean that they're shedding muscle for a lower in-cage weight and thus having to cut less, or are they pre-cutting more fluids and staying the same weight after rehydrating?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Is there a term for winning every round of a fight? Like, getting a judges decision of either 30-27 or 50-45? I hate when people misuse unanimous decision to describe this situation but I don't know a better word for it- shutout, maybe?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

red19fire posted:

So I read that at the night before UFC 194 weigh-ins, fighters on average weighed 5% over their weight class. At previous events, fighters averaged 8% over their weigh-in weight the night before weigh-ins. Meaning that due to the new IV ban, fighters are cutting less weight overnight.

My question is, does this mean that they're shedding muscle for a lower in-cage weight and thus having to cut less, or are they pre-cutting more fluids and staying the same weight after rehydrating?

In the case of Chris Weidman, he didn't drink at all between camps and was smaller in general before camp even began as a result. I can't say for other fighters.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Would we see a drastic shift in match ups if they turned weigh-ins to day of? It seems that if they did that roughly the same people would be fighting, just shifted up one weight class. The only conflict I can see is the really big guys who need to cut down to 265lb.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

Would we see a drastic shift in match ups if they turned weigh-ins to day of? It seems that if they did that roughly the same people would be fighting, just shifted up one weight class. The only conflict I can see is the really big guys who need to cut down to 265lb.

They'd just fight dehydrated.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Gadamer posted:

It would cause fighters to severely dehydrate right before fights instead 24 hrs before which is more dangerous for the fighters health. Wrestling tournaments have had same day weigh ins and the athletes wrestle incredibly drained to keep their size advantage. It would probably be in everyone's interests to fight within 5 lbs of their walking around weight but because people can't be trusted to not game the system it will never happen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is there a term for winning every round of a fight? Like, getting a judges decision of either 30-27 or 50-45? I hate when people misuse unanimous decision to describe this situation but I don't know a better word for it- shutout, maybe?

a ud is a term for all 3 judges agreeing that a single fighter won by any margin 30-27, 29-28, 29-28 is still a unanimous decision, and there have been several occasions where a fighter has won all 3/5 rounds on every judges scorecards but the fight has been extremely competitive so a shut-out wouldn't be appropriate there either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

there have been several occasions where a fighter has won all 3/5 rounds on every judges scorecards but the fight has been extremely competitive so a shut-out wouldn't be appropriate there either.

Stealth Tiger is not asking for shut-out to be applied to cases where all judges agree on rounds won, but for when one fighter doesn't lose a single round on any judge's scorecard.
The analogy to other sports is that one side doesn't score any points.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clean sheet could work.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

Stealth Tiger is not asking for shut-out to be applied to cases where all judges agree on rounds won, but for when one fighter doesn't lose a single round on any judge's scorecard.
The analogy to other sports is that one side doesn't score any points.

a fighter not losing a single round on any judges scorecard does not necessarily mean the fight wasn't extremely close. a word like using a word like 'shut-out' to describe those fights would be kind of stupid especially considering how subjective scoring can be

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

a fighter not losing a single round on any judges scorecard does not necessarily mean the fight wasn't extremely close. a word like using a word like 'shut-out' to describe those fights would be kind of stupid especially considering how subjective scoring can be

It's still different than the scenario you raised, which is also a close fight but got round wins on some judge's cards.
I have no problem describing some Mayweather fights as shutouts, even if he is doing just a few punches' worth of edge on his opponent in each round.
In any case, he wanted a term for when a fighter wins all the rounds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's still different than the scenario you raised, which is also a close fight but got round wins on some judge's cards.
I have no problem describing some Mayweather fights as shutouts, even if he is doing just a few punches' worth of edge on his opponent in each round.
In any case, he wanted a term for when a fighter wins all the rounds.

you mean like, 30-27? or 'winner'? thinking that there'd be one universal word to describe every single 30-27 fight with any degree of accuracy seems absurd but hey i'm not the most articulate motherfucker on the planet i wish him luck in his search.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah I guess I asked because in my opinion, I think it is a pretty dominant showing to win every round. So many rounds can be toss ups where it's decided by who gets a takedown with a minute left and ends the round in a good position, or lands a big combo near the end of the round, and commentators harp on that all the time. So if you can consistently make that big play exactly when your opponent least wants you to, I think it shows that you have the fight under control- even if it's not something overwhelming.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
you could say they won every round

mewse
May 2, 2006

Swept the scorecards

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Joe rogan kept saying that Johnson shut out Dodson, even though dodson won a round. Seemed dumb

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
To me shut out is like maia/Nelson where one guy lands 7 total strikes

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

you could say they won every round

That's just so ambiguous, what does it mean??

Speaking of Maia/Nelson. Are those kinds of light hits Maia was throwing when tangled on the ground painful or is it just to look busy for the ref and judges? Or is it that after you throw so many they really start to hurt?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of Maia/Nelson. Are those kinds of light hits Maia was throwing when tangled on the ground painful or is it just to look busy for the ref and judges? Or is it that after you throw so many they really start to hurt?

Gunnar's hosed up face is a clue

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
MMA doesn't needs a specific term for every single scenario like baseball or something. The sport has gotten along fine for years with people saying "he kicked his rear end" "he got robbed" "he was fitched" etc. I think the closest thing you'll get to what you're looking for is "he won every round convincingly".

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Ask a buddy to mash his elbow in your face a couple times from short range... it won't KO you but you definitely won't like it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
A shutout really would only be a R1 knockout/submission because in every other scenario both competitors have scored points. It's 30-27, not 30-0.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Not really, judges are strongly encouraged not to score rounds lower than like 6 at the very minimum.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Ok now I'm curious to watch the most lopsided judging ever. Has any judge in recent history given out a 10-7 round without points being deducted for fouls?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stealth Tiger posted:

Ok now I'm curious to watch the most lopsided judging ever. Has any judge in recent history given out a 10-7 round without points being deducted for fouls?

Maia/Nelson is one of the most lopsided decisions I can think of in the UFC. Two judges scored it 30-25 and the other 30-26.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The always-funny Starnes/Quarry fight had a judge go 30-24. Franklin/Loisau two judges go 50-42.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

The always-funny Starnes/Quarry fight had a judge go 30-24. Franklin/Loisau two judges go 50-42.

It is a measure of just how badly Louiseau got the poo poo beaten out of him in that fight that he knocked Franklin down twice and still got 50-42 scorecards.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

It is a measure of just how badly Louiseau got the poo poo beaten out of him in that fight that he knocked Franklin down twice and still got 50-42 scorecards.

You know it's a good round when one fighter gets knocked down and unquestionably still wins the round

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Never watched Franklin/Loisau watching now.

Edit: it was definitely a lopsided fight. I figure Franklin would have finished it if he hadn't broke his hand.

Sonnen/Silva 1 was also a very lopsided fight with multiple 10-8s in favor of the loser.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdfS8dDvhI