Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NippleFloss posted:

Probably that they need a job to make money so that they don't starve and die. Or they realize that employee protections are non-existent in the US where you can be fired at any time for any reason from most jobs and are effectively always on probation anyway.

That's true that employee rights in the US are rather limited but I'm more so in the shoes of employer. Is that damned difficult to fire a under-performing employee? I've come across a few of these gigs and I don't know if I'm just becoming out of sync with job market but a lot of these positions that are CtH require candidates to have skills that are in overwhelming high demand putting more chips on the side of the employee.

Going further, how hell do you expect to market such a position to someone with the exception of "Well, NippleFloss you've done great in your interview but just so you know I might terminate your employee for any reason with-in the 90 days without any explanation. Also, when do you think you'd be able to leave your steady well-paying job and relocate to FuckYou, FuckTown on your own dime?"

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tab8715 posted:

18 to 6-month contracts aren't bad but holy hell I don't think I'd ever pick up a gig that had some 90/30-day probation exception. What the hell are these people thinking?

I've got a 1-year probationary period at my current job. But it's a local government so it's a little more secure than FuckYou INC.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Woo. I get to migrate the AD, from 2008 to 2012R2.
Now I just need to not gently caress it up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got a 1-year probationary period at my current job. But it's a local government so it's a little more secure than FuckYou INC.

Local government jobs aren't any more secure than private sector jobs. They just pay less, have a worse budget, and might offer you a pension if you stick around for 30 years.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sefal posted:

It's not hard, just takes some planning and thought. How big is your org and how many domain controllers do you have? How many are hosting DHCP? Do they have any other services/applications running besides AD/DNS/DHCP, and if so why? For example, we have the Barracuda DC Agent running on ours for the web filter SSO. Understand your AD environment fully before you start replacing DCs with 2012R2 vms, and make drat sure you know where you FSMO roles are (as in don't dcpromo down a domain controller that has any of them).

IF YOU ARE A MASSIVE ENVIRONMENT TEST OUT YOUR CRITICAL APPLICATIONS IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT FIRST.

If you do it right, you won't need to re-ip the dns server settings in dhcp/static IP devices, just replace one domain controller at a time. Backup dhcp database if installed, dcpromo down old, verify metadata cleanup manually, change prepped vm to previous dc's IP, rename to old DCs name if so desired, dcpromo up, verify ad/dns are syncing happily, restore the DHCP database if needed, have a nice day. Takes about 15-20 minutes for the whole process unless you have a massive AD database and the initial sync takes a while.

Once you're on 2012R2 across the board, update forest, wait 15 minutes, update domain.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

It's not hard, just takes some planning and thought. How big is your org and how many domain controllers do you have? How many are hosting DHCP? Do they have any other services/applications running besides AD/DNS/DHCP, and if so why? For example, we have the Barracuda DC Agent running on ours for the web filter SSO. Understand your AD environment fully before you start replacing DCs with 2012R2 vms, and make drat sure you know where you FSMO roles are (as in don't dcpromo down a domain controller that has any of them).

IF YOU ARE A MASSIVE ENVIRONMENT TEST OUT YOUR CRITICAL APPLICATIONS IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT FIRST.

If you do it right, you won't need to re-ip the dns server settings in dhcp/static IP devices, just replace one domain controller at a time. Backup dhcp database if installed, dcpromo down old, verify metadata cleanup manually, change prepped vm to previous dc's IP, rename to old DCs name if so desired, dcpromo up, verify ad/dns are syncing happily, restore the DHCP database if needed, have a nice day. Takes about 15-20 minutes for the whole process unless you have a massive AD database and the initial sync takes a while.

Once you're on 2012R2 across the board, update forest, wait 15 minutes, update domain.

It's kinda big, 600 users. 2 Domain controllers.
We use a different server for dhcp. one I migrated last week and made it redundant.
I need to have a good roll back scenario. I think i'm fine with a vm snapshot.

I'm currently writing a plan on how to do this which boils down to:
check prerequisites: Raise domain/forest functional level, Schema version, ad prep, FSMO roles
Note ip adress of old AD and change it
instal W2012R2 server with AD role and DNS use ip address of old DC server. promote to and replicate from old dc server.
Transfer FSMO roles demote old ad. delete any records of old DC in AD sites and services. Verify that the old dc isn't in Domain controller OU but has been moved to Computers
Test it

I'm not doing anything in production until it functions perfectly in our testing environment

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sefal posted:

I need to have a good roll back scenario. I think i'm fine with a vm snapshot.

Nooope.

Make a third domain controller for the transition just so you have an extra copy of the global catalog, don't bother activating it. Move your fsmo roles to that temporarily and swap away. You won't be able to raise the forest/domain functional level until all domain controllers are 2012R2.

Also check to see if you are using still using FRS for SYSVOL, you can change it to DFSR now with no impact. ADUC -> View Advanced Features -> System OU -> DFSR-GlobalSettings -> Domain System Volume -> Topology. If your DCs are listed there you're all set.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The plan I've heard is safest is as follows:

Start with two 2003/8 DCs.
Add two 2012R2 servers. Promote to DCs. Functional level is still 2003 or 8.
Migrate all FSMO roles to the 2012R2 servers.
Place the two old DC's into a private network. They'll think that every single other computer in the world has gone offline, but they'll hold the fort awaiting their eventual return.

Back in your real environment. Attempt to raise the functional level.
If all hell breaks loose, disconnect the 2012 servers and bring the old servers back. Seize the FSMO roles with ntdsutil.exe and you should be back in business.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh wow. Thank you guys. That would have been pretty horrible to happen if I went ahead with it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sefal posted:

Make sure your clients aren't hardcoded to a DNS server that you're about to take down.

Run DCdiag on an exist DCs too to check who has the FSMO roles and if anything is currently broken.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 17, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

devmd01 posted:

restore the DHCP database if needed

Can you elaborate on the "if needed" part? Currently we have a 2003 DC (holds the FSMO roles, also running DHCP), and a 2008 DC, and are looking to replace them with 2 2012R2 DCs. I've done a lot of reading on it and the only part of the process I'm still unsure about is getting DHCP migrated properly.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

J posted:

Can you elaborate on the "if needed" part? Currently we have a 2003 DC (holds the FSMO roles, also running DHCP), and a 2008 DC, and are looking to replace them with 2 2012R2 DCs. I've done a lot of reading on it and the only part of the process I'm still unsure about is getting DHCP migrated properly.

I think he just meant if that particular DC will be hosting DHCP.

Moving DHCP is pretty easy though, export the scope to share and make sure it's disabled on the old DC. Install DHCP and authorize it. Import your scope from the share.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you're replacing a server that has the DHCP role just backup the entire database prior to replacing it on the same IP address, so you don't have to go around re-doing IP helpers all over the place. Replace domain controller, import dhcp database, authorize, set dynamic dns update service account, downtime of less than 30 minutes for dhcp. Ideally you'd export it using the powershell command from a 2012R2 server, that way it gets exported in the new xml format.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/%5Clibrary/jj590659(v=wps.630).aspx

Example 1 in there should cover it, though you'll likely need to add "-leases" to the command as well.

I had trepidation about the whole domain controller replacement upgrade thing when I started doing them here 6 months ago, but once you understand the fundamental parts that tie everything together, it's no big deal. Hell, I majorly hosed up a dc replacement one night (going from 2k8r2 to a new 2012r2 on the same IP with the same name), and I wasn't freaked out at all when I realized what happened. Metadata cleanup, spin up a fresh VM, and I was back up and running in 30 minutes. If I didn't understand the environment and how it wasn't a huge deal with respect to client impact, it would have been a much more stressful experience.

It's all about your environment and knowing how things are set up; I deal with 6 domains that have a total of 18 domain controllers, with trusts between 4 of them. Two are segregated off (wierd acquisition thing that we're not going to integrate). All of our clients point to the dns servers of the new domain that we're consolidating everything to, regardless of what domain they're joined to. There are DNS forwarders in each domain pointing to all the others, and we added a group policy to have clients append the dns suffix of each domain when searching for single-label names. Servers in each domain point to that domain's dns servers. At this point I can reboot any drat domain controller in the middle of the day with no impact even to DHCP, since that's in a failover relationship with our DR site.

....I really need to get off my rear end and pare down that "to-document list"...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haha just realized I made a pretty derp move last night. I was making a GPO change to our IE policy. So, I backed up the current GPO which is v7, created a new GPO, imported settings, changed version to 8, linked it appropriately, unlinked the old one, and apparently stopped there, never actually made settings changes. Good times, I guess that's what happens when you're up till 4:30am doing various poo poo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have gotten gently caress-all done today, 5 more hours 'till Star Wars, thanks Dell!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got to indirectly and subtly tell someone they're a loving idiot today, feels good man

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Ruh roh. http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Security-Incident-Response/Important-Announcement-about-ScreenOS/ba-p/285554

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Nothing to see here, move along folks......... /nsa

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Pretty much.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

We have an emote for that: :nsa:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I need to see some sort of IT headshrink.

Officially my title is "senior systems engineer", along with 20 other people. I have access to pretty much everything. ~18000 employees.

A customer wants an install of something we own but have not deployed. Extra functionality of an existing program - specifically a desktop fax solution. I have a package of it in SCCM in testing, I can push it out. I tested it, it works.

We have helpdesk, desktop support, and a tier 3 support desk. No support model for this application - all issues will go up the chain immediately to me.

So, I've pushed out the web client and client through Citrix to meet end user needs, but now maybe ~200 folks want the desktop print to fax client.

Do I do it with no other planning, singlehandedly?

I've met with IT management several times on this over the past several years, the answer is usually something along the lines of "let's not"

New management now, they don't like confirming or denying anything, so it's really up to me probably.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Umm, schedule a meeting with helpdesk management and train the helpdesk how to troubleshoot tier 1 issues. Then deploy?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Umm, schedule a meeting with helpdesk management and train the helpdesk how to troubleshoot tier 1 issues. Then deploy?

Haven't tried that. I guess I can. The desktop team has historically rejected having any role in it. So has tier 3.
What I'm expecting to happen if I provide the help desk documentation for the system, is for them to reject it, saying it needs to be approved by the change control board that meets in a month. Let's try it and see. Done.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 18, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do that and then at least you can point to change control as being the cause of delays.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
How do you guys ask for a promotion. Or rather, ask what u need to do to get a promotion?
I don't want a promotion right now. I think i'm 1-2 years away from being a 2nd line tech
But I want to talk with my senior to see what I need to possess to be promoted to a 2nd line tech position. The reason I wanna ask is that awhile back, my senior told me that my knowledge at certain areas way exceed what the 2nd line techs here all know. And that I currently am better than a certain 2nd line tech will ever be.

So yeah. I kinda wanna know what he needs to see. before he is fully convinced i should move to a 2nd line position.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Sefal posted:

How do you guys ask for a promotion. Or rather, ask what u need to do to get a promotion?
I don't want a promotion right now. I think i'm 1-2 years away from being a 2nd line tech
But I want to talk with my senior to see what I need to possess to be promoted to a 2nd line tech position. The reason I wanna ask is that awhile back, my senior told me that my knowledge at certain areas way exceed what the 2nd line techs here all know. And that I currently am better than a certain 2nd line tech will ever be.

So yeah. I kinda wanna know what he needs to see. before he is fully convinced i should move to a 2nd line position.

Better grammar.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sefal posted:

Why do you personally feel you need to wait?

Start looking for another job and leverage that. Your employer is in no hurry to give you more money.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bigass Moth posted:

Start looking for another job and leverage that. Your employer is in no hurry to give you more money.
On the other hand, pushing for a counteroffer when you have no real intention of leaving is often a real bad idea. Just have a casual conversation with your boss about career development and advancement first. There's no better way to find out expectations than to ask.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

As usual; the Onion has you covered my friend:

http://www.theonion.com/video/report-slamming-boss-against-wall-shouting-cash-i--37265

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwOYMFtw1k

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

I think I need to build more experience. I've been working as a 1st line work for almost 1 year now. 5 months of that was as an intern . My other 1st line colleagues have all been doing it for 4+ years now.
I don't want to rush it.

Thank you. That was hilarious.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sefal posted:

I think I need to build more experience. I've been working as a 1st line work for almost 1 year now. 5 months of that was as an intern . My other 1st line colleagues have all been doing it for 4+ years now.
I don't want to rush it.

What are the responsibilities and experience level of a "1st line tech" at your company? Are you just resetting passwords and asking people to try turning it off and on again? Broadly speaking, there is no reason to stay in a truly entry level IT job for more than a year or two. If someone's been on tier-one help desk for 4+ years, they're simply not motivated to advance, and/or there's something actively holding them back like management not wanting to have to train replacements or office politics.

You said yourself that your coworker considers you better than some of the tier 2 techs. That should be all the information you need to at least ask your boss if he thinks you're ready to move up, and if not, how and when you'd get there. The worst that can happen is he says "not yet". Or maybe he says "you know, you have been doing a great job. Let's see about moving you up after the holiday break". If he completely shoots it down, maybe consider self-studying for some certificates in your area of interest (CCNA if networking or security interests you, various MCSA certs if you're into Windows, RHCSA for Linux...). Or look for other companies hiring in your area. You may be surprised how another manager values a year of hands-on industry experience.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I need to see some sort of IT headshrink.

Officially my title is "senior systems engineer", along with 20 other people. I have access to pretty much everything. ~18000 employees.

A customer wants an install of something we own but have not deployed. Extra functionality of an existing program - specifically a desktop fax solution. I have a package of it in SCCM in testing, I can push it out. I tested it, it works.

We have helpdesk, desktop support, and a tier 3 support desk. No support model for this application - all issues will go up the chain immediately to me.

So, I've pushed out the web client and client through Citrix to meet end user needs, but now maybe ~200 folks want the desktop print to fax client.

Do I do it with no other planning, singlehandedly?

I've met with IT management several times on this over the past several years, the answer is usually something along the lines of "let's not"

New management now, they don't like confirming or denying anything, so it's really up to me probably.

Rack up a bunch of SRs or IRs (whichever makes the most sense for your organization) and use them as leverage to push Management into making a decision. 200 IRs waiting on support of an application should be a pretty significant lever.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sefal posted:

If you are tier 1 and migrating/upgrading the domain then you are doing work beyond tier 1, really beyond tier 2, unless tier 2 is Windows sysadmin, and the company is getting that for free. The problem is that you are looking at this as a smooth progression. In tech the progression comes in jumps, or it really doesn't come at all. Its not after 4 years you will be good enough to be 2nd line. It could be, after 4 years your skills have fallen behind and you don't qualify for 2nd line, or it could be that since you will do all this at tier 1, they will want to keep you there, or it could be that you rock the Domain migration, cert up, and start talking to your company about what they need to do to keep you.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

What are the responsibilities and experience level of a "1st line tech" at your company? Are you just resetting passwords and asking people to try turning it off and on again? Broadly speaking, there is no reason to stay in a truly entry level IT job for more than a year or two. If someone's been on tier-one help desk for 4+ years, they're simply not motivated to advance, and/or there's something actively holding them back like management not wanting to have to train replacements or office politics.

You said yourself that your coworker considers you better than some of the tier 2 techs. That should be all the information you need to at least ask your boss if he thinks you're ready to move up, and if not, how and when you'd get there. The worst that can happen is he says "not yet". Or maybe he says "you know, you have been doing a great job. Let's see about moving you up after the holiday break". If he completely shoots it down, maybe consider self-studying for some certificates in your area of interest (CCNA if networking or security interests you, various MCSA certs if you're into Windows, RHCSA for Linux...). Or look for other companies hiring in your area. You may be surprised how another manager values a year of hands-on industry experience.

Yeah 1st line here is almost just that. The easy stuff.
I'm going to ask my boss to see what the options are.
I'm having a blast here. I'm writing scripts, (Some scripts were written with the help of goons in the powershell thread. Thank you guys so much for guiding me in the right direction) migrating servers and figuring out and solving tier 2 problems. Testing and packaging updates to applications or thinapping new applications and deploying them.
I'm studying for MCSA 70-410 at the moment.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

If you are tier 1 and migrating/upgrading the domain then you are doing work beyond tier 1, really beyond tier 2, unless tier 2 is Windows sysadmin, and the company is getting that for free. The problem is that you are looking at this as a smooth progression. In tech the progression comes in jumps, or it really doesn't come at all. Its not after 4 years you will be good enough to be 2nd line. It could be, after 4 years your skills have fallen behind and you don't qualify for 2nd line, or it could be that since you will do all this at tier 1, they will want to keep you there, or it could be that you rock the Domain migration, cert up, and start talking to your company about what they need to do to keep you.

I was under the impression doing all these migrations was something tier 2 should be doing.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 18, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sefal posted:

I was under the impression doing all these migrations was something tier 2 should be doing.
This is the cruel paradox of promotions: you get promoted into a job you're qualified to do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Considering how its impossible to standardize titles among IT I find it bizarre how we still find ways to argue out what tiers are suppose to mean.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just try to get promoted now. In the areas where you're strong, you'll do great; In the areas where you're weak, you'll learn quickly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I just got the go-ahead to hire a developer for building out our phone system, on-site in Boston. We'll pay lots of money.

We'd need someone who codes java and various web languages, as we need to set up a bunch of Polycom SIP phones to Twillio.com, and create a click-to-call app in Salesforce. We already have this stuff working as a prototype, but we need something production-grade for 500 salespeople built over several months.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just try to get promoted now. In the areas where you're strong, you'll do great; In the areas where you're weak, you'll learn quickly.

Bingo. The worst thing they are going to (realistically) do is say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, I just got the go-ahead to hire a developer for building out our phone system, on-site in Boston. We'll pay lots of money.

We'd need someone who codes java and various web languages, as we need to set up a bunch of Polycom SIP phones to Twillio.com, and create a click-to-call app in Salesforce. We already have this stuff working as a prototype, but we need something production-grade for 500 salespeople built over several months.

I really liked working with FTG Technologies for the phone project at my last job, they're in Quincy. I don't know if they specialize in what you're looking to do but they have some kickass engineers and are definitely worth meeting with