Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is there still video of Crobby trying to play the game out there? Both Google and Youtube just give med positive horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Chris Roberts plays Star Citizen :allears:

19 minutes of pure "What the gently caress am I watching" courtesy of the livestream.

It's on my own channel, and I have my source in case someone flags it.

Also, I love some of the comments there.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty lame name for his porsche

Not even a flamethrower, let alone a thunderpoon.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Amarcarts posted:

They accidentally left the cameras on at CIG after the livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqnrJsyoRY

Merry Christmas

im dying

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This is gorgeous.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

apologies if this was already posted.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6107707

hmmm sounds suspiciously like a huge pile of bullshit.
Well since Sandi stated that only she can train CS employees-- and must be physically in the same location to do so-- customers will have to wait for her next trip to the UK for this to start being addressed. It might look like incompetence to others, but really, it's just one of the downsides of having the talent of ten employees combined.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm going to throw my $0.02 behind CRoberts not being a criminal but instead being incompetent.

I'm voting for incompetent criminal. Like one of those bank robbers who takes the cash but can't get out the bank because they're pulling the door instead of pushing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nyeehg posted:

Oh most definitely. I guess I just can't get my head around the cult-like mindset of the church of Roberts.

Come to think of it, what are the backers views on the SQ42 stuff? I've only seen hype around the MMO part and occasionally about the stories they are gonna role play. I don't follow Reddit outside of what's posted here (because Reddit) so it's possible they don't give a toss about the plot.

Oh who am I kidding? They're probably convinced that it'll be the best drat space sim movie ever made.

From what I've seen, the narrative is that Squadron 42 will bring in the unlimited amounts of cash needed to complete the MMO part. Lots of "no you see, Gary Oldman is actually one of the best money magnets in the film industry!" and so on. Not a lot of excitement about the actual game and not very many posts being completely in awe of the :wtchris: Bishop speech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A nice helping of salt in the comment sections of those youtube videos, courtesy of the SC backers lurking the thread.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Quick legal question here: How much can Chris Roberts keep referring to wing commander before the people who own the rights to WC can sue him? PGI has probably got the documents going through legal now.

PGI no longer has the rights. It expired after six years of them doing nothing with it. I've got confirmation from them and EA that the rights are back with EA.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Does anyone have examples of Crobber calling it a "movie" instead of a "game"?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

D_Smart posted:

quote:

Hey careful, you're verging on territory I'm actually familiar with.

Not sure how you're going to localize on location, especially if they're planning to toss this into a remote network.

Also you'll never have any sort of ack from udp. As in, it's not even designed to do that. Send and forget.

Being familiar doesn't mean you know more than someone (that would be me) who has written multiplayer games and entire network stacks.

And I don't know what you're going on about. I never said anything about an "ack".

And yes, you can localize on location by doing a range check on the client position and not sending any packets to any client outside of that range. I've done it. It's rudimentary. And every middleware lib (ReplicaNet, RakNet etc) help you do it. e.g. in one of my games, any client outside of a 100km range doesn't get any info about any client outside that range; only from other clients within that "bubble".

Also..

http://ithare.com/64-network-dos-and-donts-for-game-engines-part-iv-great-tcp-vs-udp-debate/

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/introduction.html

Sorry, I should elaborate. "Familiar" as in it's what I've been doing for a living.

You need to be more clear- you talk about packets based on location within a game, where it sounded like real location.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

A nice helping of salt in the comment sections of those youtube videos, courtesy of the SC backers lurking the thread.

They're disliking these videos so hard. Still has more likes though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

PGI doesn't have any rights. They licensed the IP from EA. EA still owns the Wing Commander IP. That said, even Chris Roberts, creator of this beloved space sim IP, declined to buy back his IP from EA when he had the funds and the chance.

The rights were never - ever - for sale. Only for licensing. Chris couldn't put the money together to get it; so the deal fell apart. That's how Star Citizen came about.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

They're disliking these videos so hard. Still has more likes though.

Youtubes analytics don't even care about likes or dislikes, just the combined number. The more comments (I think) + dis/likes, the higher it is in the searches.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Chris Roberts plays Star Citizen :allears:

19 minutes of pure "What the gently caress am I watching" courtesy of the livestream.

He really comes across as totally uninterested and bored all the way through this. Along with all his sarcastic little remarks ("Ben's brilliant idea", "This is tremendously exciting" etc), makes him look like someone who doesn't even like playing videogames. It was like watching my dad trying to use a computer.

I'm calling bullshit on the "Played for an hour crash free!" tweet. Or did he play for an hour without trying to chat to anyone?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phil Burn posted:

I'm calling bullshit on the "Played for an hour crash free!" tweet. Or did he play for an hour without trying to chat to anyone?

Probably the latter. Or played offline and only got over an hour before it failed and he called it quits.

*Edit* People got so hype to see Croberts during the livestream, and I'd be surprised if no one mentioned any other times. Seems like a thing you'd screenshot for massive karma on reddit.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

From what I've seen, the narrative is that Squadron 42 will bring in the unlimited amounts of cash needed to complete the MMO part. Lots of "no you see, Gary Oldman is actually one of the best money magnets in the film industry!" and so on. Not a lot of excitement about the actual game and not very many posts being completely in awe of the :wtchris: Bishop speech.

The funny thing is that research has shown that big names do not really matter in terms of game sales, unlike movies. If Roberts thinks that A-List actors can bring in money with games like they do with movies, he's in for a very unpleasant surprise.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

osker posted:

The last time I launched or accepted a TOS was when they launched the hangar module. Am I still clear to get a refund? These cock suckers haven't responded to my request.

Probably not. You have seen this, right?

Anyway, fInd out when the hangar module was launched. Then find out which ToS was active at the time:

12-09-13 // Original from RSI website pre-KS

12-10-18 // KS ToS which would be active from 12-10-18 to 12-11-19

13-08-13 // v1.0

13-08-29 // v1.1

15-02-01 // v1.2

NOTE: If you pledged on KS, then you are subject to the KS ToS, as well as the RSI ToS which was active after the campaign ended and you had to access their site to create your citizen account

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 18, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

By the way did Derek Smart ever follow through on the lawsuit thing?

Working through it. Can't say more than that.

As we suspected, there is no getting around the arbitration clause, due to many court rulings (the latest) which made it legal for corps to shaft their customers without the huge expense of lawsuits. So no class action. Anyone who has a beef with SC, has to go it alone, or as a non-class group.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Being familiar doesn't mean you know more than someone (that would be me) who has written multiplayer games and entire network stacks.

And I don't know what you're going on about. I never said anything about an "ack".

And yes, you can localize on location by doing a range check on the client position and not sending any packets to any client outside of that range. I've done it. It's rudimentary. And every middleware lib (ReplicaNet, RakNet etc) help you do it. e.g. in one of my games, any client outside of a 100km range doesn't get any info about any client outside that range; only from other clients within that "bubble".

Also..

http://ithare.com/64-network-dos-and-donts-for-game-engines-part-iv-great-tcp-vs-udp-debate/

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/introduction.html

Sorry, I should elaborate. "Familiar" as in it's what I've been doing for a living.

You need to be more clear- you talk about packets based on location within a game, where it sounded like real location.
[/quote]

gently caress YEAH BOYS LOOKS LIKE WE GOT OURSELVES A SYSADMIN SHOWDOWN

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

So who wants to bet croberts has never been given the online version of the game before? He tweeted before how he could play for hours without crashes, and in my experience, only offline mode allowed that when he posted that.

Yeah, we've been discussing that. Insider sources tell me that judging by the version he was running at the time, he may have been flat out lying. And from the looks of the livestream, it doesn't look like he's played the game recently.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My dream situation would be for someone to licence the WC rights because SC has drummed all of the rabid WC fans out of the woodwork.

Are they more loyal to CRoberts or an actual playable WC game? What the gently caress would Ben even do?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TTerrible posted:

My dream situation would be for someone to licence the WC rights because SC has drummed all of the rabid WC fans out of the woodwork.

Are they more loyal to CRoberts or an actual playable WC game? What the gently caress would Ben even do?

Probably eat his Pilgrim cross and absorb its powers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

The funny thing is that research has shown that big names do not really matter in terms of game sales, unlike movies. If Roberts thinks that A-List actors can bring in money with games like they do with movies, he's in for a very unpleasant surprise.

then its a good thing hes making a movie and not a game :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I want Croberts to chop up all his mocap footage into a two hour movie and have it get a similar reception as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

comatose posted:

This would be a good thread title considering Karl has gone to ground.
Star Citizen: Kubrick, Copolla, Tarantino, Roberts, Spielberg

SelenicMartian posted:

But will we be able to trade them? Will there be a collectible bird game?
I think Karl is the expert on bird law, you'll have to wait till he graces us with his presence once again.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 18, 2015

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey, thanks mang

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine if EA made a WC moba game.

How angry would the SC fans be over that?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'd love seeing them justifying how they suddenly have always hated macrotransactions

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'd love seeing them justifying how they suddenly have always hated macrotransactions

They prefer megatransactions. New heroes, skins and other cosmetics cost anywhere between 50 and 2000 dollars.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, we've been discussing that. Insider sources tell me that judging by the version he was running at the time, he may have been flat out lying. And from the looks of the livestream, it doesn't look like he's played the game recently.

I think that he really does spend a lot of time playing the game...in his mind.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Working through it. Can't say more than that.

As we suspected, there is no getting around the arbitration clause, due to many court rulings (the latest) which made it legal for corps to shaft their customers without the huge expense of lawsuits. So no class action. Anyone who has a beef with SC, has to go it alone, or as a non-class group.

Well, CIG has a presence in the UK. I'm currently talking to them about my refund, and I've pointed out that the small claims court procedure here is actually very cheap and can be done online.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Probably not. You have seen this, right?

Anyway, fInd out when the hangar module was launched. Then find out which ToS was active at the time:

12-09-13 // Original from RSI website pre-KS

12-10-18 // KS ToS which would be active from 12-10-18 to 12-11-19

13-08-13 // v1.0

13-08-29 // v1.1

15-02-01 // v1.2

NOTE: If you pledged on KS, then you are subject to the KS ToS, as well as the RSI ToS which was active after the campaign ended and you had to access their site to create your citizen account

osker posted:

The last time I launched or accepted a TOS was when they launched the hangar module. Am I still clear to get a refund? These cock suckers haven't responded to my request.

osker, if you're just seeking a simple refund and they are giving you the run around, then anything you can do to make your support call more tricky than usual costs them money.

At a certain point it becomes cheaper (or involves less effort) for them just to refund you and move on. So if you do get into a discussion about the TOS and which version you agreed to, it's worth asking exactly how they determined that you agreed and when exactly that was plus the method they used to track this accurately. A normal customer service rep and even their manager likely aren't in a position to answer on the method as it's a technical question, while any answer they do give should be truthful or they might get in trouble later. Even if they give an answer that's not truthful, you could maybe check the event log of your computer to see if they are full of crap, might give you an idea what was happening that day. If you agreed to something on a certain date and they can prove that by knowing the exact date, you are in no worse position, if they don't know it's possible they don't accurately record when people accept, either way you're creating a difficult support call and therefore increasing the likelyhood they'll just pay you and move on.

Also it's worth asking for all versions of the TOS and when they were active from to, as that's just a pain in the arse thing to do.

Not sure I've explained that very well.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Unfunny Poster posted:

What was that Arena thing on the x box? People got mad about that right?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
:lesnick: unironically thought it was amazing.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well you hosed up the upload because there are places where the audio is not in sync

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LastCaress posted:

Well you hosed up the upload because there are places where the audio is not in sync

It is literally a straight recording of the livestream with no modification on my part. The only issue was I wasn't recording at a higher bitrate, so the quality isn't as high as it could be.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

LastCaress posted:

That's how you know it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

then its a good thing hes making a movie and not a game :colbert:

Hahah. It is still baffling to me that he thinks that people actually want 10 hours of cut-scenes in games, more than even Hideo Kojima's games. He really is completely out of touch with modern gaming.

In my opinion, micro-transactions (skins, different colors, naming your ship, etc.) is pretty much the only way they can survive. Eventually, there's going to be an upper limit to how many ships Shitzens will buy. With the performance of the live stream and new blood being extremely slow coming, they have to rely on current people to fund this game.

• Locked thread