Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LastCaress posted:

Well you hosed up the upload because there are places where the audio is not in sync

one day CIG will learn how to stream properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope not

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good idea for a stretch goal, because as per CIG if it is in the stretch goal it is definitely not a feature creep.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

PGI no longer has the rights. It expired after six years of them doing nothing with it. I've got confirmation from them and EA that the rights are back with EA.

You know Derek, there is only one way this saga can properly enter the history books and that is with you buying the rights to WC and doing a port for your engine called "Wing Commander: The Wrath of Smart".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

The funny thing is that research has shown that big names do not really matter in terms of game sales, unlike movies. If Roberts thinks that A-List actors can bring in money with games like they do with movies, he's in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Not only is CR heavily entrenched within the mindset that the name of the actor matters to backers, but it's also seemingly impossible to pry him away from the notion the the performance capture of Squadron 42 is going to play just as big a role. It makes me wonder how much of Squadron 42 is going to be the player actually doing something important and how much of it is the player simply experiencing something important.

Hey Derek, do your sources know how much time CR focuses on game-specific tasks vs ones related to the performance capture? Does it seem like he puts all his effort towards the animation and ignores the gameplay mechanics?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MeLKoR posted:

You know Derek, there is only one way this saga can properly enter the history books and that is with you buying the rights to WC and doing a port for your engine called "Wing Commander: The Wrath of Smart".
Revenge of the Smartrathi.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahah. It is still baffling to me that he thinks that people actually want 10 hours of cut-scenes in games, more than even Hideo Kojima's games. He really is completely out of touch with modern gaming.

In my opinion, micro-transactions (skins, different colors, naming your ship, etc.) is pretty much the only way they can survive. Eventually, there's going to be an upper limit to how many ships Shitzens will buy. With the performance of the live stream and new blood being extremely slow coming, they have to rely on current people to fund this game.

Not sure if that's the case for everyone. I mean besides hardcore fans, who the hell even watched the live stream? Several buddies bought into the game after seeing the planetary landing vid that were blown away by it.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahah. It is still baffling to me that he thinks that people actually want 10 hours of cut-scenes in games, more than even Hideo Kojima's games. He really is completely out of touch with modern gaming.

In my opinion, micro-transactions (skins, different colors, naming your ship, etc.) is pretty much the only way they can survive. Eventually, there's going to be an upper limit to how many ships Shitzens will buy. With the performance of the live stream and new blood being extremely slow coming, they have to rely on current people to fund this game.

I would gladly pay for 10 hours of new Kojima cut scenes

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope the cutscenes will be unskippable just like in Max Payne 3.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not only is CR heavily entrenched within the mindset that the name of the actor matters to backers, but it's also seemingly impossible to pry him away from the notion the the performance capture of Squadron 42 is going to play just as big a role. It makes me wonder how much of Squadron 42 is going to be the player actually doing something important and how much of it is the player simply experiencing something important.

Hey Derek, do your sources know how much time CR focuses on game-specific tasks vs ones related to the performance capture? Does it seem like he puts all his effort towards the animation and ignores the gameplay mechanics?

It really is a very old mindset. Back when he was making games, it was new and people hadn't experienced it before. Nowadays, it is pretty typical of games to include an actor or two, just to have a familiar voice. The novelty has worn off and it is no longer a selling point. And that is true too. He clearly wants to make a movie, there is really no other reason to mo-cap every single one of the actors. That is what I am wondering as well. If it does include game play, I think it will be very basic with the cut scenes taking up most of the game time. If he can't get game-play, I think it will be a CYOA game, more like an interactive movie.

Also, there is such a fundamental disconnect between Roberts and his audience, that separating Squadron 42 from the PU part seems ludicrous to me. The whole appeal of the game is making your own stories in the persistent universe. Most people do not seem interested in the least for Squadron 42. If people have to chose between the PU portion and the single player, they are going to choose the PU. Even to new people, the selling point is a free-form universe to explore, not an interactive movie.

neonbregna posted:

I would gladly pay for 10 hours of new Kojima cut scenes

Well, that is Kojima we are talking about. 10 hours of Chris Roberts cutscenes feels more like a punishment.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So

What is Squadron 42 ?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
As a palate cleanser, this is what lead developers playing their game is supposed to look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kacg5SKJy_4

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iglocska posted:

Not sure if that's the case for everyone. I mean besides hardcore fans, who the hell even watched the live stream? Several buddies bought into the game after seeing the planetary landing vid that were blown away by it.

Even so, are they going to be spending hundreds of dollars on it or just buying a basic package? And the venture beat article about CRoberts troubleshooting his computer is the first article if you search for news on the game.

Skellybones posted:

So

What is Squadron 42 ?

The single-player portion of Star Citizen. The one that Chris Roberts spent millions on with A-List Actors, motion capture and a 10 hour script.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Even so, are they going to be spending hundreds of dollars on it or just buying a basic package? And the venture beat article about CRoberts troubleshooting his computer is the first article if you search for news on the game.

The single-player portion of Star Citizen. The one that Chris Roberts spent millions on with A-List Actors, motion capture and a 10 hour script.

I've talked one of them out of buying a Constellation Aquila as his first package and to go for a starter package / avenger package instead, so yeah, probably yes I guess?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iglocska posted:

I've talked one of them out of buying a Constellation Aquila as his first package and to go for a starter package / avenger package instead, so yeah, probably yes I guess?

I guess there are still suckers out there. Oh well! People buying things off a trailer, especially to a game like Star Citizen which has missed every deadline and hasn't proven itself at all really bring home the old P.T. Barnum quote: "The bigger the humbug, the better people will like it"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Comments on that RPS article are a toilet.

Idiots express surprise that a flight sim game prioritised flight mechanics, argue that game has been in development for over a decade to make themselves feel better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

It really is a very old mindset. Back when he was making games, it was new and people hadn't experienced it before. Nowadays, it is pretty typical of games to include an actor or two, just to have a familiar voice. The novelty has worn off and it is no longer a selling point. And that is true too. He clearly wants to make a movie, there is really no other reason to mo-cap every single one of the actors. That is what I am wondering as well. If it does include game play, I think it will be very basic with the cut scenes taking up most of the game time. If he can't get game-play, I think it will be a CYOA game, more like an interactive movie.

Also, there is such a fundamental disconnect between Roberts and his audience, that separating Squadron 42 from the PU part seems ludicrous to me. The whole appeal of the game is making your own stories in the persistent universe. Most people do not seem interested in the least for Squadron 42. If people have to chose between the PU portion and the single player, they are going to choose the PU. Even to new people, the selling point is a free-form universe to explore, not an interactive movie.

The problem with gameplay is that he has to deliver mechanics because Squadron 42 is supposed to be the flight experience of Star Citizen. Years ago Erin said that SQ42's release would be a "final, polished" game. That means that all of the core gameplay needs to not only be done but also refined and balanced. That means that flight, combat, missiles, sensors, EVA, FPS, and the component system all need to be fully integrated. I'm not convinced CIG is going to have that done before the end of 2016.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alphabettitouretti posted:

Comments on that RPS article are a toilet.

Idiots express surprise that a flight sim game prioritised flight mechanics, argue that game has been in development for over a decade to make themselves feel better.

Lmao

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

what is the stretch goal for procedural generation of plumage patterns and beak shapes on the birds?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The whole "SC is better than ED!" thing really takes me back to the days of people arguing that the Spectrum was better than the Commodore 64. Except this time, we have the internet where people can voice their wrong opinions to the world, instead of 2-3 people in the school playground.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Buy the IP; retain the right to keep the “Producer” title; license it out to Braben to make the actual game.

The screams of rage would be heard on Sedna. :D

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
... I have to ask. How many gaming professionals are in this thread anyhow?

I'm a project lead on an upcoming mmo of... dubious probability. (Kickstarted for roughly 1/150th of what a MMO actually costs) (still working my rear end off, though.)

We got Mr. Smart.

I know there's two or three other people.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Warcabbit posted:

I'm a project lead on an upcoming mmo of... dubious probability. (Kickstarted for roughly 1/150th of what a MMO actually costs) (still working my rear end off, though.)

We got Mr. Smart.

The all knowing octopode
And
The Nazi Accountant Krazy Karl

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

We got Mr. Smart.

I've dipped in and out of it for about fifteen years. The latest project I've been involved with is space based, ridiculous and something I'd like to post about - but there are about five of us working on it and it'd be incredibly easy for Reddit to make my life difficult over it.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

We got Mr. Smart.

I think I have over 200 hours in fallout 4 so I am definitely a gaming professional.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sardonik posted:

As a palate cleanser, this is what lead developers playing their game is supposed to look like:

True visionaries always look like an old lady checking her email when sat at a computer :colbert:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I booted up star citizen for the first time in 6 months and was greeted by an fps of 20 on the lowest graphical settings on my brand new machine. Granted, the card is an older hd 7870, but still.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with gameplay is that he has to deliver mechanics because Squadron 42 is supposed to be the flight experience of Star Citizen. Years ago Erin said that SQ42's release would be a "final, polished" game. That means that all of the core gameplay needs to not only be done but also refined and balanced. That means that flight, combat, missiles, sensors, EVA, FPS, and the component system all need to be fully integrated. I'm not convinced CIG is going to have that done before the end of 2016.

I suppose that the very basic building blocks of SQ42 are already developed, because if you think about it Arena Commander is likely going to be the framework for the majority of SQ42 gameplay. SQ42 is probably just going to be set-piece fights within enclosed areas of space that happen between hour-long cut scenes; I seriously doubt that there will be much freedom in terms of flying off out of the "encounter zones" to explore other areas in SQ42. So with that thought, SQ42 will basically be zoning into different Arena Commander maps and engaging the AI that is there, and I expect that SQ42 is going to be a very linear game if finished, with a handful of divergent story pathways similar to the old Wing Commander games, but nothing really new or revolutionary in terms of gaming experiences.

You are right though, at three years into development (or whatever it is) many of the core systems such as fuel, sensors, customization, etc. are still talked about by the designers as very vague concepts, and they often admit that they still aren't even sure how these various systems are going to be implemented. While a lot of the customization options aren't strictly necessary for SQ42 (there really isn't a need for the player to be able to customize a ship within a military story since equipment is issued), CIG still hasn't gotten down basic things like weapon balance or the flight model in a game about flying. This is probably the result of the overall problem with CIG - Croberts cares more about making a movie than he does a game, so his company spends all its time doing mocap and hiring actors for Sandi to play with while they work on the actual game as a sort of side-project that is in a development hell of constant bugs and restarts. If you think about it, Vanduul Swarm is basically the first iteration of a combat mission for SQ42, and Vanduul Swarm is incredibly easy and extremely boring after the first few playthroughs, and adding voice actors and Gary Oldman's head to a chat window isn't going to make the gameplay any more exciting or really add anything to that.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Warcabbit posted:

We got Mr. Smart.

I work in software development but definitely not game development. Your entire industry frightens me, I got out early on in my career.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The physics in the game are retarded and flying is not fun.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sardonik posted:

wow, that looked so un-genuine, didn't crash once - actually no problems at all

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Birds will be weapons.

Given this is supposed to be WWII in space, I don't see why not? After all, who'd miss out on this kind of hilarious precedent?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
When croberts was fiddling with his joysticks on that stream, were they actually set up wrong or was he just functionally retarded? I don't use joysticks so I have no way to tell

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Xaerael posted:

The whole "SC is better than ED!" thing really takes me back to the days of people arguing that the Spectrum was better than the Commodore 64. Except this time, we have the internet where people can voice their wrong opinions to the world, instead of 2-3 people in the school playground.

This is a really weird conversation to read when I'm watching Charlie Brooker's "Videogames that changed the world" and I'm up to the description of Elite which is just past the Spectrum vs Commodore period.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I still can't get past the "Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wuxi posted:

I still can't get past the "Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special".

I mean, he's not wrong. A place where the anomaly has become the norm is pretty special.
Maybe once all is said and done in this saga, Normal Accident Theory is up for some revision.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Warcabbit posted:

We got Mr. Smart.

I previously worked for an MMO that is still currently in development. Full disclosure: it's as much of a train wreck as SC is, but not nearly as visible.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CrazyLoon posted:

Given this is supposed to be WWII in space, I don't see why not? After all, who'd miss out on this kind of hilarious precedent?

I originally thought of this as an Angry Birds reference but hey, your thought is much better

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bait and Swatch posted:

When croberts was fiddling with his joysticks on that stream, were they actually set up wrong or was he just functionally retarded? I don't use joysticks so I have no way to tell

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Being familiar doesn't mean you know more than someone (that would be me) who has written multiplayer games and entire network stacks.

And I don't know what you're going on about. I never said anything about an "ack".

And yes, you can localize on location by doing a range check on the client position and not sending any packets to any client outside of that range. I've done it. It's rudimentary. And every middleware lib (ReplicaNet, RakNet etc) help you do it. e.g. in one of my games, any client outside of a 100km range doesn't get any info about any client outside that range; only from other clients within that "bubble".

Also..

http://ithare.com/64-network-dos-and-donts-for-game-engines-part-iv-great-tcp-vs-udp-debate/

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/introduction.html

What's a 'guaranteed send' flag, Derek?

• Locked thread