Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stanley Pain posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some codecs that come with WMP. Try installing FFDSHOW and set it up so that all video/audio processing goes through it and then see if Firefox still has that issue. Does Chrome or any other browser have the same problem?

Maybe even install a full 3rd part media player (Bomi, WMP-Classic or Home Cinema Edition, etc) and associate all the various media types to them and see if that clears things up.

wolrah posted:

Firefox uses system decoders for those codecs. Edge probably does as well. Chrome provides its own. You have a system codec problem.

If you want to verify this, try using a Chromium open source build. MP3 and H.264 are left out of Chromium.

FFDSHOW didn't do anything, Chromium indeed has the same issues as Firefox.

Icept posted:

Hey my man, I had the same troubles esp. with Firefox only doing 480p or whatever.

Just get this and you're good: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

If you haven't nuked everything and gone back.
That's like the first thing I did, which didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does anyone else have the thing where numlock is turned on by default in the BIOS, but the moment Windows loads it gets turned off?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

pandaK posted:

It was cheaper and I never use the first party players so I thought it would be worth it. In retrospect, it isn't, since my Firefox still refuses to recognize media formats even after installing the Windows media package.

For 32 bit firefox try VLC. 64 bit firefox has barely flash.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Does anyone else have the thing where numlock is turned on by default in the BIOS, but the moment Windows loads it gets turned off?

Yes, crap for PIN unlock

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rusty! posted:

Yes, crap for PIN unlock

I set up pin unlock for a few dozen people and Windows just stopped asking a few of them and now only gives the password option. I mean, that was a lot of nagging if it's just going to go "eh, nevermind" later on.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yep, always have, even on my laptop. It's bullshit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pandaK posted:

There's an option in FFDSHOW that makes it parse all audio/video instead of just the default ones. I forget exactly where that setting is.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/1096-setting-up-codecs-using-ffdshow/

The screen shot with the CODECS you want to select RAW VIDEO as well (it's at the bottom). I haven't used/played with FFDSHOW or codec packs in ages though. I just use BOMI as my media player and Opera/Chrome as my browsers. I wasn't able to find anything about getting Firefox to use FFSDHOWs codecs, so good luck :unsmith:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New question time:

If I use the media creation tool for Windows 10, will it give me the latest released build?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

New question time:

If I use the media creation tool for Windows 10, will it give me the latest released build?

Yes

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I've had this issue since technical preview.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
After I lock the screen with Win-L, sometimes I will come back and I can unlock the system with just the keyboard. -- I hit shift and the monitor comes on, then I type the password. But other times, there is no response to the keyboard, and I have to click with the mouse somewhere on the screen. Then I can type the password. I would like to be able to unlock the system without clicking the mouse half the time.

Am I correct in thinking this is just the way it is and can't be fixed?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TIL (Tuesday I Learned):

I can cast media directly from my Win10 desktop to my XBox One. Works like a champ, and I can even use the XBox controller to pause, resume, FF and RW.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

taqueso posted:

After I lock the screen with Win-L, sometimes I will come back and I can unlock the system with just the keyboard. -- I hit shift and the monitor comes on, then I type the password. But other times, there is no response to the keyboard, and I have to click with the mouse somewhere on the screen. Then I can type the password. I would like to be able to unlock the system without clicking the mouse half the time.

Same thing for me, there's no rhyme or reason for it either.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

taqueso posted:

beejay posted:

Same thing for me, there's no rhyme or reason for it either.

Do you have a two-monitor setup? because I find I have to move my mouse cursor over the the monitor displaying the lock screen for it to work.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

No, but I do have a USB mouse on a monitor hub and a PS/2 keyboard (hey, the keyboard and mainboard both support it, so why not) and the same problem as they have.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speaking of lock screen issues, my small tablet that was upgraded from 8.1 to 10, sometimes when I push the hardware Start button to bring it back from sleep, I just get a black screen. Backlight is clearly on, but nothing gets displayed. Windows also shows the little "touch trails" if I try to use the touchscreen.
But if I then pull out a Bluetooth keyboard, already paired to the tablet, and press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I get the unlock screen.
Happens a few times a week.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

taqueso posted:

This happens with my laptop sometime, but I haven't noticed it with my desktop.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nielsm posted:

Speaking of lock screen issues, my small tablet that was upgraded from 8.1 to 10, sometimes when I push the hardware Start button to bring it back from sleep, I just get a black screen. Backlight is clearly on, but nothing gets displayed. Windows also shows the little "touch trails" if I try to use the touchscreen.
But if I then pull out a Bluetooth keyboard, already paired to the tablet, and press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I get the unlock screen.
Happens a few times a week.

Yeah, I get this sometimes on my T100. Annoying, but it doesn't happen too often.

My only other issue with W10 is that it doesn't like FreeNAS' SMB. I don't think it's ever shown up in Network. If I browse to \\server it works sometimes, but other times it'll just not find it. \\server.local seems to always work. I have no idea, it's probably just as much a FreeNAS\samba issue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Since I installed 10, I've been having a problem where if I alt-tab out of a fullscreen game and then tab or click back in, it will frequently just toss me back to the desktop. Sometimes clicking while it's trying to put me back in the game fixes it, but not always. I've seen a few threads about it on Google, but I haven't found a solution. Is this a known problem?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I get this sometimes on my T100. Annoying, but it doesn't happen too often.

My only other issue with W10 is that it doesn't like FreeNAS' SMB. I don't think it's ever shown up in Network. If I browse to \\server it works sometimes, but other times it'll just not find it. \\server.local seems to always work. I have no idea, it's probably just as much a FreeNAS\samba issue.

Check what your windows 10 workgroup is called, then log into the freenas device and make sure samba is set to be part of the same workgroup.

The fact that you have .local there means you are either set to use .local, a no-no as it's reserved for autodiscovery services, or set to use nothing, which will mismatch the windows default of 'workgroup' and make the device difficult for windows to keep track of.

You could also map it to a network drive, which will stick pretty reliably.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pandaK posted:

The linked media feature pack was for build 10240. You need this one instead if you have the November update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you have a two-monitor setup? because I find I have to move my mouse cursor over the the monitor displaying the lock screen for it to work.

No, not currently.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm boned here, but just in case I'll ask. I just built myself a new computer, my old one had an Activated copy of Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I wanted to put that Windows 10 license on my new computer so I used a program to find my Windows 10 product key, then made a bootable install USB. When installing 10 on my new system I chose not to put in the product key until after install was done, but now its giving me error code 0x803f7001. I no longer have my Win7 product key and I've already cannibalized and reformatted my old hard drive for this new computer. Is there anything I can do?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I'm boned here, but just in case I'll ask. I just built myself a new computer, my old one had an Activated copy of Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I wanted to put that Windows 10 license on my new computer so I used a program to find my Windows 10 product key, then made a bootable install USB. When installing 10 on my new system I chose not to put in the product key until after install was done, but now its giving me error code 0x803f7001. I no longer have my Win7 product key and I've already cannibalized and reformatted my old hard drive for this new computer. Is there anything I can do?

You can't move an upgrade-acquired copy of Windows 10 to a new computer as far as I'm aware. If you still have the key for your Windows 7 license and it's a retail license, you could try installing it on your new machine and then upgrading. You may need to move down to 7 on your old computer and use slmgr to deactivate the license with MS's servers, especially if it's an OEM license (which may not work at all), but I would expect a retail license to work - at worst, you may have to use their automated phone activation system.

I don't think there's any trick that will allow you to get activated copies of 10 on both computers out of that one 7 license though, if that's what you're after.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Super Waffle posted:

If the old computer was OEM you can install 7 with the key from the sticker, call microsoft if necessary to activate, and upgrade to 10 from that.
If the old computer had a retail copy of 7, you can install it on the new machine, activate, and upgrade to 10 from that.
If you dont have *any* win7 key, you're hosed.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Thats what I figured, thanks :sigh:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After last night's update everything was fixed, app store, apps, etc.; then after installing one app it all broke again. I've never been an MS basher and have actually liked their products but I'm very disappointed inW10 and strongly regret accepting the upgrade.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

wormil posted:

After last night's update everything was fixed, app store, apps, etc.; then after installing one app it all broke again. I've never been an MS basher and have actually liked their products but I'm very disappointed inW10 and strongly regret accepting the upgrade.
There have been bigger disasters (WinME, Vista) from the start, but I have to agree that I've never seen so much random behavior with an MS OS than Win10. I've still got bizarre settings panel and search behavior, this is a clean install. Again, "create a new profile" is ridiculously commonplace as a solution, it's just so loving fragile.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There have been bigger disasters (WinME, Vista) from the start, but I have to agree that I've never seen so much random behavior with an MS OS than Win10. I've still got bizarre settings panel and search behavior, this is a clean install. Again, "create a new profile" is ridiculously commonplace as a solution, it's just so f'ing fragile.

The real fix is probably simple. Unfortunately anyone's ability to do diagnostics is limited with the new app system. So that means the only sure solutions are sledgehammers.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 10 has been a huge piece of poo poo for me across 3 different computers. Fresh installs on all of them and all of them would have different game breaking issues. No network, blue screens in games, etc. Kinda had to itch recently to try it out again, not sure if I should though :ohdear:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Just to counter point, I've had 28 of 30 computers with no issues at all in my test deployment. The first problem one ended up having bad ram, the second had on and off Cortana search issues.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What exactly does the search bar search? I've unticked online/web results. Does it require indexing because I usually clear that out of entries.

Basically I just want it to search my c: drive so I dont have to open a file explorer, then open c:, then click in the top right

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

astral posted:

The linked media feature pack was for build 10240. You need this one instead if you have the November update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919

I experienced a massive wave of relief when this worked. Thank you, so much.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gerdalti posted:

Just to counter point, I've had 28 of 30 computers with no issues at all in my test deployment. The first problem one ended up having bad ram, the second had on and off Cortana search issues.

Yeah my main workstation that I hit really hard has been stable as a drat rock. Even upgraded from Windows 8.1 without issues.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I just got a laptop and it came with a $50 gift/credit for the microsoft store. Is there anything I could buy with this that isn't garbage? I seem to only see garbage when I visit the microsoft store. It's garbage all the way down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Faith For Two posted:

I just got a laptop and it came with a $50 gift/credit for the microsoft store. Is there anything I could buy with this that isn't garbage? I seem to only see garbage when I visit the microsoft store. It's garbage all the way down.

You can buy movies, TV shows, and music.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

fishmech posted:

You can buy movies, TV shows, and music.

Or, I could watch/listen to those things by renting them from my local library and spend $ on things I can't easily have for free.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Faith For Two posted:

Or, I could watch/listen to those things by renting them from my local library and spend $ on things I can't easily have for free.

Not this you can't, unless you manage to resell it.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Faith For Two posted:

Buy an Xbox game. The money is the same no matter what store you're in. Buy a subscription to your favorite newspaper, as the gift card should work for IAP. Sell it to me for $25. The sky is the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EoRaptor posted:

Good troubleshooting

They're both definitely set to 'WORKGROUP' but it just doesn't seem to appear in Network ever. Lately it's been responding to just its hostname fine so..knock on wood, I guess. I did notice its hostname was appended with .local (but NETBIOS was just the main hostname) so I changed that.

I upgraded my desktop to Win10 last night. Went fine, everything seems to work (aside from one game needed DX9 reinstalled to stop causing access violations when launching). Also my Bluetooth dongle actually works in W10, I could never get it to connect to anything in 7, so that's a nice bonus.