Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DJExile posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. Keep in mind that literally everything may or may not be linked to cancer these days. Her anger at it is justified since FIFA required all the womens WC games in canada be played on it (soccer is awful on fieldturf), even though a ton of providers were willing to step up and provide grass. If I recall correctly, Abby spearheaded something of a class action suit against FIFA for the conditions and got a ton of other countries' players to join in. I don't think it ever went anywhere though.

It was a a little discombobulating to hear Wambach to be all "gently caress FieldTurf, it causes cancer! :tinfoil:" and then be totally blasé about the down the road risks of concussions/CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

DJExile posted:

He strikes me as a black guy who wants very badly to be the black guy that white racists point to and say poo poo like "See, blacklivesmatter people? A black guy doesn't like you!" I picture him going on like Sean Hannity's show or something to talk about how Cam Newton should stop dancing and showing off.
Yea it does seem like he wants to get an invitation The Big House (Fox News) and be their black guy they use to attack other black guys. Basically exactly what he accuses Greg Howard of being at Deadspin.

I think Whitlock actually defended Cam dancing btw.

OctoberBlues posted:

Is that field turf pellet cancer thing legit? I remember hearing rumblings before, but I thought it was viewed as kind of a crackpot theory. She made it sound like it's all but proven, surely we aren't running kids out onto field turf every day if we know it causes cancer?
It was a great interview but that part was a bit much. NFL players dive on turf I'd guess 200x more than any female soccer player and I haven't heard about them getting whatever cancer at a huge rate.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

howe_sam posted:

It was a a little discombobulating to hear Wambach to be all "gently caress FieldTurf, it causes cancer! :tinfoil:" and then be totally blasé about the down the road risks of concussions/CTE.

There are some other interesting parts of the interview.

quote:

"The way that he has brought in a bunch of these foreign guys is not something I believe in wholeheartedly. I don't believe in it. I don't believe in it in my heart."

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ribsauce posted:

It was a great interview but that part was a bit much. NFL players dive on turf I'd guess 200x more than any female soccer player and I haven't heard about them getting whatever cancer at a huge rate.

They are all dying too early from other reasons for it to be noticed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Wambach herself was pretty good about gender pay inequality, but Simmons was once again a provincial jackass on the topic. Not only did he bring up the whole "most watched soccer match of all time" argument, but then said that the gender pay gap made less sense in soccer or tennis because viewership was closer to even, unlike the wnba/nba. (the "why isn't the US men's team good?" discussion was also pure cliche, but more forgivable).

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 17, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Wambach herself was pretty good about gender pay inequality, but Simmons was once again a provincial jackass on the topic. Not only did he bring up the whole "most watched soccer match of all time" argument, but then said that the gender pay gap made sense no sense in soccer or tennis because viewership was closer to even, unlike the wnba/nba. (the "why isn't the US men's team good?" discussion was also pure cliche, but more forgivable).
In the interview, Wambach nailed the exact reasons for the international football pay gap, and proceeded to dismiss it that the same time by saying "treating people equally shouldn't cost money" or something like that. The Men's World Cup brings in something like 200-300 times the broadcast and sponsorship revenue that the Women's World Cup does. Of course the bonuses for the men's teams are going to be multiple times higher.

There are people who tend to think that because a lot of people watch WWC games here in the United States that it's a big deal among all of the powerful women's soccer countries. It really isn't. England made the semi-finals and I think they only had three full-time professionals in their team. Germany and Scandinavia support the women's game pretty well, and...that's about it outside of the United States?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I understood her point to be more about worth than cost (i.e., not about the money, but being treated as less of an athlete or an accomplishment). But it was a bit jumbled precisely because Simmons decided to go with the easy pandering instead of just trying to follow her point. For the record, women's world cup is only really big here in the US. There was a story before the WWC about how something like 54% of all traffic to FIFA's WWC came from the US (which also explains not drawing seeds, etc.).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haven't listened to the pod yet, but I'll say this much about turf. It kind of stinks and it gets so much hotter than normal grass. It loving sucks.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Also it gives nasty turf burns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colleen Dominguez has filed an age discrimination suit against Fox Sports 1

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

The BS Podcast with Abbie Wambach is really good. She pulls zero punches.

if you mean it was really good because she was absolutely horrific then ok. simmons was his normal self but Wambach was a train wreck. what do you mean she was good? she came off sounding xenophobic and showed zero understanding of supply and demand. she said men get paid 39x more, women should be paid the same as men, and that wouldn't cost anything. wrong, actually. that would cost a lot of money. i wonder if she's upset that michael jackson sold more albums than carrie underwood.

her legacy was unequivocally ruined the night before her last game, and julie foudy said "well, that's abby!" with regards to her comments. shameful.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 18, 2015

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Parlett316 posted:

Literally.

Literally was so misused it's now officially not misused.

The title now belongs to "begs the question".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Badfinger posted:

Literally was so misused it's now officially not misused.
It's the exception that proves the rule.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

The title now belongs to "begs the question".

I spent a long time being smug about this, but honestly the way people actually use it makes way more sense with the wording of the phrase anyway and everyone should just accept that the meaning has evolved.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

I spent a long time being smug about this, but honestly the way people actually use it makes way more sense with the wording of the phrase anyway and everyone should just accept that the meaning has evolved.

I really should give up because it's similar to literally in that sense. The difference is that people knew they were misusing literally, and people have no idea that begs the question is a logical fallacy. Dammit.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
itt prescriptivists get mildly annoyed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Badfinger posted:

The difference is that people knew they were misusing literally, and people have no idea that begs the question is a logical fallacy. Dammit.

Could you talk about why that's a logical fallacy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is it too late to nominate champing at the bot

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

If you think that's a contender, you've got another think coming.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

howe_sam posted:

Could you talk about why that's a logical fallacy.

Yes I could.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 18, 2015

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Badfinger posted:

I really should give up because it's similar to literally in that sense. The difference is that people knew they were misusing literally, and people have no idea that begs the question is a logical fallacy. Dammit.

Don't die on this hill, friend.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone else think Deadspin has reached a new level of stupid with their obsession that Tom Brady hasn't disowned Donald Trump as a friend? They have written probably 5 articles about it. Why do so many people think there is some law you automatically adopt the politics of your friends? I hated George W. Bush as a president but I bet I would really like him if he moved in next door.

Also I have reached a new level of stupid for still reading Deadspin. I go there out of habit even though 30% of their articles are ads (excuse me "sponsored content"), 30% more are not sports related at all, 10% is just a tweet you click on and nothing else is added, 20% of the articles are bad, and 10% of their content is worth reading.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 19, 2015

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone else think Deadspin has reached a new level of stupid with their obsession that Tom Brady hasn't disowned Donald Trump as a friend? They have written probably 5 articles about it. Why do so many people think there is some law you automatically adopt the politics of your friends? I hated George W. Bush as a president but I bet I would really like him if he moved in next door.

Also I have reached a new level of stupid for still reading Deadspin. I go there out of habit even though 30% of their articles are ads (excuse me "sponsored content"), 30% more are not sports related at all, 10% is just a tweet you click on and nothing else is added, 20% of the articles are bad, and 10% of their content is worth reading.

It's at the junction of their "treat athletes like a tabloid treats celebrities"/political leanings/clickbait sensitivities, so of course they'll treat it like it's the most newsworthy thing ever.

I've stopped reading Gawker sites after determining the ratio you cited wasn't worth it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Donald Trump is openly trying to become President in order to ethnically cleanse America. I think it would be a big story if Tom Brady was friends with the Grand Wizard of the KKK also.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Tom Brady Is Friends with Donald Trump!" is going to be looked at as the most mid-2010s headline ever and we shouldn't encourage that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ribsauce posted:

The only relevant question is: Does it get clicks?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not super angry about it but I support Deadspin turning it into a big thing because it's funny to watch Brady uncomfortably squirm and be baffled that anyone might take issue with him saying that it'd be "great" for the virulently racist buffoon to be president because he likes playing golf with said racist buffoon and apparently is still super psyched about that time he got to judge a beauty pageant. That is the most perfectly Tom Brady basis for a political opinion there could possibly be.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MourningView posted:

I'm not super angry about it but I support Deadspin turning it into a big thing because it's funny to watch Brady uncomfortably squirm and be baffled that anyone might take issue with him saying that it'd be "great" for the virulently racist buffoon to be president because he likes playing golf with said racist buffoon and apparently is still super psyched about that time he got to judge a beauty pageant. That is the most perfectly Tom Brady basis for a political opinion there could possibly be.

This.

Also, the only reason I did deadspin/gawker sites is because grantland died, and I don't know a better alternative.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

midwat posted:

It's at the junction of their "treat athletes like a tabloid treats celebrities"/political leanings/clickbait sensitivities, so of course they'll treat it like it's the most newsworthy thing ever.

I've stopped reading Gawker sites after determining the ratio you cited wasn't worth it.
Gawker media is also changing to a politics focus, so camping out on the "Tom Brady is still friends with Donald Trump?!?" angle makes sense for them now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When we politicize sports, it makes sports and politics worse.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Frackie Robinson posted:

When we politicize sports, it makes sports and politics worse.

Sports is unavoidably and inextricably political. It comes that way out of the box.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bob Ojeda posted:

Sports is unavoidably and inextricably political. It comes that way out of the box.

Of course, but its appeal is based on an age-old gentleman's agreement that we pretend it's not, and I think that that agreement is worth maintaining, for everyone's sake. As a society, we need a neutral space, some refuge from the unceasing torrent of bullshit, even if that refuge is just a castle built of more bullshit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair if Tom had no commented his way through this it wouldn't be an issue. You endorse the hot head racist, you roll the dice.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

99% of Gawker stuff is garbage but I thought this article was really well done. Then again Friday Night Lights is one of my favorite books of all time.

http://deadspin.com/how-the-hero-of-friday-night-lights-won-and-lost-his-go-1747949745

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frackie Robinson posted:

Of course, but its appeal is based on an age-old gentleman's agreement that we pretend it's not, and I think that that agreement is worth maintaining, for everyone's sake. As a society, we need a neutral space, some refuge from the unceasing torrent of bullshit, even if that refuge is just a castle built of more bullshit.

Look, I just want to relax and watch the people maim each other like a good Roman.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Look, I just want to relax and watch the people maim each other like a good Roman.

Yeah pretty much

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

99% of Gawker stuff is garbage but I thought this article was really well done. Then again Friday Night Lights is one of my favorite books of all time.

http://deadspin.com/how-the-hero-of-friday-night-lights-won-and-lost-his-go-1747949745

Yeah i really enjoyed this as well

midwat
May 6, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair if Tom had no commented his way through this it wouldn't be an issue. You endorse the hot head racist, you roll the dice.

He pretty much did (at least, in the interview that resurfaced this). He said "I support my friends in all they do" in the same manner you'd say "I support my child putting on a one-man play based off Star Wars fanfiction."

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm largely in favor of sports being an escape, but the truly bad deals within it (NCAA, FIFA) should probably not escape scrutiny.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If Tom Brady didn't have that stupid hat in his locker where cameras see it all the time nothing ever would have come of it in the first place. It's not like the sports media seeks out political angles from athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
A famous sportsman couldn't possibly have different political views from me.