Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Nicholas posted:

~$34,000.00

* the flat iron desks are the only semi functional furniture on here (semi, because they make pretty poor office desks)
** only items that could individually identified
*** for pricing on the aviator chairs i assumed they went with the nicest leather because who cares about backers money
**** thats almost definitely an RH couch in the last gif but i can't identify it

Lol if you don't realize they are laundering money through restoration hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xe7tr/unmelt_is_available_buy_back_pledges/

YOU CAN UNMELT YOUR SHIPS!!!

(you cannot use store credit to unmelt your ships, new money only pls)

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Tracy is explaining that he was a party of the Cry team that generated the "Star Citizen" demo used for the original Crowdfunding video. A video which, if memory serves, pitched itself as a demo of a game Chris and his team had been prototyping for some time before the kickoff.

Does this seem like an accidental reveal to anyone else? That Chris showed something he claimed was the early game, when in fact it was just a work-for-hire demo a 3rd party created?

It's not new information, we knew this since their current Cinematic Director Hannes Appell, who was back then still employed at Crytek, put the original pitch video as PF credit on his personal artist webpage with a breakdown as to what he did on that, this was nearly two years ago. There were a couple of people at Crytek working and supporting Chris Roberts in their free time, for old Wing Commander's sake. (Back then, when this all was built the project was still pitched to be based on the Wing Commander franchise, it only changed and became Star Citizen/Squadron 42 once EA shut the door,, due to CR not bending down on him having absolute control and final say)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

GyverMac posted:

Dick pic guy? Whats the backstory on this?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, I've been disconnected from the game for too long. What is the context of :gary:?

hey what's with all the new guys demanding summaries
toiling citizen goons have shitposted something like 5000 pages of :gary:

least you can do is read it all

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bait and Swatch posted:

What will be in star citizen you aks?

I have it on good authority that things like this will be possible. Birds loving with cats trying to fight each other: http://youtu.be/cbBlYfTbA44

Enjoy citizens

Birds are such trolls.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xe7tr/unmelt_is_available_buy_back_pledges/

Oh God.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sarsapariller posted:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, I've been disconnected from the game for too long. What is the context of :gary:?

During the last Citizen Con, they were showing off their Gary Oldman motion capture tech, and one of the images was this CG Gary Oldman duckface thing. Goons ran with it and eventually it became 2 smilies. Also, someone (peter gabriel?) photoshopped the face onto an air horn, which is where we got

:gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Nicholas posted:

~$34,000.00

* the flat iron desks are the only semi functional furniture on here (semi, because they make pretty poor office desks)
** only items that could individually identified
*** for pricing on the aviator chairs i assumed they went with the nicest leather because who cares about backers money
**** thats almost definitely an RH couch in the last gif but i can't identify it

Isn't that how much [wesha?] donated? Maybe he's part of the money laundering!

Derek it's time to doxx some more people.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sarsapariller posted:

Holy poo poo, is this even legal?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Well, that's neat. There was no indication before checkout that buyback cannot use store credit. I mean aside from a tiny "note" on the page that I completely missed before I melted a bunch of poo poo.

gently caress.
This is the end. THE END. <-- Derek Smart

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

lol

"I've spent eight thousand dollars on this 'game', but not a PENNY MORE TILL THIS CHANGES!" :byodood:

You sure showed them redditor, you showed them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

KiddieGrinder posted:

lol

"I've spent eight thousand dollars on this 'game', but not a PENNY MORE TILL THIS CHANGES!" :byodood:

You sure showed them redditor, you showed them.
If you scroll down he calls himself a "small time fish," too.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

what the literal gently caress :psyduck:

I don't even

how do they... how?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
can these people walk past a crooked stick without loving themselves up the arse?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BMan posted:

Holy poo poo, is this even legal?

Who cares as long as tears are generated

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't even

how do they... how?

I think the argument here is "someone would be able to get every ship in the game, including the limited-edition never-being-sold-again versions, for no more than whatever the most expensive one was"

which I could see as an exploit, especially if there's no limit on unmelts, because then you'd be able to buy as many of LIMITED EDITION SHIP Xs as you want and sell them on the grey market for more than the original price, simultaneously undercutting demand for future (totally wouldn't happen, it's actually limited edition this time) sales and getting money that could have gone to CIG

but realistically the real answer is "we can make our backers pay more real money because they're willing to pay it" and they're probably right

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

I don't even

how do they... how?

If CIG had put half as much effort into the 'game' as they have into the jpeg purchasing/melting/un-melting shennanigans then there would be an incredibly confusing, completely unfair and totally hosed up mess that...oh, right.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Sarsapariller posted:

I also note that the prices are the old prices from before prices were increased.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xiansi posted:

Almost nothing to do with Star Citizen (though I think maybe the devs had some sort of CryEngine knowledge-sharing thing going on with CIG ages ago?), but just saw Kickstarter update on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and gently caress me if this thing isn't actually starting to look really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Eq2na6neI

This is how you do a CryEngine game with mo-cap. Also, 6:10, for the hilarious ghetto camera setup!

Their alpha is actually playable and features a ton of mechanics designed to show off how they plan on doing things. Swordfighting is clunky but I might just suck at it.

Also in that video he flat out says they're going to be feature locked by the end of the year. It really is a great example of how to do things the right way.

Sarsapariller posted:

And here we have an example of how to do things the wrong way.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the argument here is "someone would be able to get every ship in the game, including the limited-edition never-being-sold-again versions, for no more than whatever the most expensive one was"

which I could see as an exploit, especially if there's no limit on unmelts, because then you'd be able to buy as many of LIMITED EDITION SHIP Xs as you want and sell them on the grey market for more than the original price, simultaneously undercutting demand for future (totally wouldn't happen, it's actually limited edition this time) sales and getting money that could have gone to CIG

but realistically the real answer is "we can make our backers pay more real money because they're willing to pay it" and they're probably right

I can see that, but it's so very telling that they come to that conclusion before thinking "what if they just want money"

when this ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean, the list of contact details to their customers will by far be the most valuable thing to go on auction

not their stupid furniture

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So to translate this to the real world, it's basically equivalent to me returning jeans to a store and getting store credit for it. Then if I want to buy jeans again, the store tells me I have to use cash and the store credit is no good. I can only use store credit for anything that's not jeans. If I already bought everything in the store before, then the store credit is completely useless in that store now.

Is this what they're doing? This scam upon scam layering is confusing me.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

I can see that, but it's so very telling that they come to that conclusion before thinking "what if they just want money"

when this ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean, the list of contact details to their customers will by far be the most valuable thing to go on auction

It's brilliant by CIG, they'll get a couple of suckers to put more money in because of the policy, then they'll reverse the policy to the accolades of their fans who will give them more money for 'listening'

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Other potentially good movie posters for SC:
-There Will Be Bugs
-Swindler's List
-Crash
-Frozen
-The Goonies
-The Whale Rider

edit: also Aparpalips Now!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rad Russian posted:

So to translate this to the real world, it's basically equivalent to me returning jeans to a store and getting store credit for it. Then if I want to buy jeans again, the store tells me I have to use cash and the store credit is no good. I can only use store credit for anything that's not jeans. If I already bought everything in the store before, then the store credit is completely useless in that store now.

substitute for "picture of jeans" and you're up to speed

e: digital picture obviously

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Amarcarts posted:

Other potentially good movie posters for SC:
-There Will Be Bugs
-Swindler's List
-Crash
-Frozen
-The Goonies
-The Whale Rider

-Parp Fiction
-No Game for Poor Men
-Shitizen Chris

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Alotta people dumbasses gonna be spending all their christmas money in advance

Time for Chris to pick out some 2016 model year cars

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Amarcarts posted:

edit: also Aparpalips Now!

:five: :five: :five:

Now I spilled water on my desk thanks

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Only new money can compensate for a lack of stock of spaceship jpegs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Rad Russian posted:

You can buy normal crap, you can't buy the special crap right now, you'll have to wait for the next special sale in a few months for the special crap.

Aside from the money making potential from this, it will kickstart the grey market again assuming a buy back with real money is still giftable. Lots of the traders will have large melt histories and can now dip into them for whatever still has an over the market value.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Bait and Swatch posted:

:five: :five: :five:

Now I spilled water on my desk thanks

Chris: [intercepted radio message] I watched a whale crawl along the edge of a razer keyboard. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Mocapping, scamming, along the edge of a razer keyboard... and parping.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't understand the problem. Why does it matter? The ships are just free gifts for your donation to the development fund. You're getting a free ship and you're going to complain because you can't choose ANY one you want? That's some pretty entitled behaviour and I'm not sure the SC community is really for you. :smugbert:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Russian posted:

That's what I was wondering too. Or maybe a better option would be like a "trade-in" where you get less value than what you originally paid, but could put it toward another purchase. Or they charge an unmelt fee, or whatever. But they just went, what the hell, your store credit is no good if you ever want to buy-back what you traded in.

And there are Citizens who melted hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of ships hoping they could buyback at some point. And now :qq:

You're getting scammed, people.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

I don't understand the problem. Why does it matter? The ships are just free gifts for your donation to the development fund. You're getting a free ship and you're going to complain because you can't choose ANY one you want? That's some pretty entitled behaviour and I'm not sure the SC community is really for you. :smugbert:

Someone needs to post that on the reddit thread to see what the response is from the cult.

There is totally going to be a point where they will split between their greed for these ships and the incompetence of CIG, half will go one way and half will go the other.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 18, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rad Russian posted:

not quite, since (if I'm not mistaken) store credit works fine for everything else

it's like you go buy a pair of jeans for $20 on sale, then turn it into $20 of store credit

then months later you go back and they say "hey, we have a record of everything you previously bought and returned, but you have to pay money for it"

so you can pay $20 of real money to get those sale-price jeans back, or you can pay $20 store credit + $10 to get the same pair of jeans at their regular price now

then apply that to any "limited-edition jeans" that they only sold for a week and aren't selling any more, and you get the gist of it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bootcha posted:

Only new money can compensate for a lack of stock of spaceship jpegs.

They need to pay for a ustorit to house all the melted jpegs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
It's kinda funny that X-Rebirth is still a better game than Star Citizen and much closer to what shitizens want than the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Refunds were stopped when they released the 2.0 right? So that is it then, they are claiming this is release in a legal sense. Bahahaha the scam is real, it's real Bahahaha

• Locked thread