Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lenovo is trying to sucker people into buying a 'gaming laptop' with a 4K touchscreen that has a 48Hz refresh rate that they pair with a 2GB 960M.

Asus wasn't too far off with their 960M Powered 4K 15"er.

Why they put 4K on a 15" laptop with poor dedicated graphics for the task, and yet it's nearly impossible to find a 17.3" with 4K and a touchscreen, if you can at all. (with a 970M or above) :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was about to order a new laptop for work but the X1 Carbon is the touchscreen model with only 8GB of RAM. Probably won't have a new configuration until the next refresh, is it still expected in February?

As I understand the RAM isn't upgradeable and from what I've seen the touchscreens are pretty unpleasant looking - neither properly matte nor glossy, and with a gap between layers. So I'd definitely want to hold out until another option is available.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The X1 Carbon is a nice build design, but yes they are non-upgradeable as far as everything goes except maybe the SSD, so get what you might want out of the gate.
Also most of the Lenovos seem to have a small issue with their Wireless cards and coming out of Sleep mode. Not all of them but I saw it on the X1 more than it should.
My Uncle just got the Dell XPS 13 from Costco when they had it for $200 off, and that thing curb-stomps any of the work laptops at my place (everything from Lenovo X1 Carbons, Yoga's, HP's, etc.)

Much higher fit and finish, the QHD+ screen is gorgeous, 8G, 256G SSD, i7, etc all fitting into a great looking 13.3" size.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man I know its stupid but if you absolutely didn't want to build your own and just wanted something to game on NOW in 4K give or take, This HP Deal isn't half bad.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mobby_6kl posted:

I was about to order a new laptop for work but the X1 Carbon is the touchscreen model with only 8GB of RAM. Probably won't have a new configuration until the next refresh, is it still expected in February?

As I understand the RAM isn't upgradeable and from what I've seen the touchscreens are pretty unpleasant looking - neither properly matte nor glossy, and with a gap between layers. So I'd definitely want to hold out until another option is available.

The X1 is kinda lovely. My firm has like 3k of these things, and the RMA stats on them are about 3x as bad as the last generation's T430s. It's super nice up until one of the daughtercards takes a poo poo and you lose sound+usb, or wifi plus other usb. Or the digitizer craps out and now your mouse is a schizophrenic mess.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Krailor posted:

Long-term I'm sure Intel isn't thrilled with the idea of being able to overclock non-k chips but for the 1151 socket generation I think they've resigned themselves to the fact that it will happen.

Once Intel announced that the FIVR was being moved off-chip in Skylake most people were expecting BCLK overclocking to come back. The real test will be if Intel puts the FIVR back on-chip in the future.

To add on to this...

I think this is also the biggest driver of Intel's decision to make Skylake Xeons incompatible with the consumer 100 series boards. I'm betting we don't see the same BCLK overclocking implemented on the C236 boards. It's one thing if the dirty consumers can overclock their i3s, it's a completely different thing if people could get a E3-1230v5 and easily overclock it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The X1 is kinda lovely. My firm has like 3k of these things, and the RMA stats on them are about 3x as bad as the last generation's T430s. It's super nice up until one of the daughtercards takes a poo poo and you lose sound+usb, or wifi plus other usb. Or the digitizer craps out and now your mouse is a schizophrenic mess.

Mine for work has an especially annoying power-on issue where it sometimes will not turn on at all. It gets more likely to occur in cold weather (my unit spends a lot of time in my car trunk, even if it doesn't get that cold in Austin). I used to think this was the battery having discharged during sleep or whatever, but this is even with 70-100% of battery left. The kicker is that plugging in the charger for about 1 second often fixes the issue like it's some sort of electrical reset issue. Sometimes it takes minutes of warming up with my forearms to work and the A/C charger doesn't always immediately fix it, but usually it does. If you don't have your charger, you can also reset the power circuitry via a reset hole on the bottom of the laptop. I used to keep a paper clip taped + magnetically stuck to the laptop's underside, but I lost it.

Now the first thing I do when I get in to the office is plug in the power even if it's only for a few seconds before heading to a meeting, just to try and mitigate the problem. It's a little ridiculous, whereas I love the laptop in most other ways overall.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, I meant to post that in the laptop thread, but I guess that works as a kind of "Skylake in laptops" question :). Thanks for the feedback anyway - I had no idea they were considered crappy. I might end up getting the new one one anyway if it's decently specced, as the reliability would be IT's problem and not mine. Still, pretty bizarre that they haven't figured out this poo poo into its third generation.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Found a video on youtube of some G4400, 6100 and 6400 overclocking benchmarks. There's synthetics and such but as for gaming performance:

And system power draw:

:shittypop:

Temps were 71C, 62C and 60C for the i5/i3/Pentium at full load with a 212 Evo, which from my limited knowledge is not half bad.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 19, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Found a video on youtube of some G4400, 6100 and 6400 overclocking benchmarks. There's synthetics and such but as for gaming performance:

What in the actual gently caress is up with those horizontal scales? 50 is longer than 56, the two instances of 33 are not the same length, and 23 falls between 38 and 40.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

at the price point that they're asking for the x1 carbon a macbook is unronically a better buy

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Grundulum posted:

What in the actual gently caress is up with those horizontal scales? 50 is longer than 56, the two instances of 33 are not the same length, and 23 falls between 38 and 40.

some of the scales have been overclocked

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HMS Boromir posted:

Temps were 71C, 62C and 60C for the i5/i3/Pentium at full load with a 212 Evo, which from my limited knowledge is not half bad.
The power climb for BCLK is pretty wild. I can see why they're not putting it in for the H110 chipsets, but I don't think it'd be that bad to take off the safety gloves for the other boards.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Add the numbers in each bar then it seems to makes sense...the weird rear end scaling I mean. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know why the the graph is like that in the first place. Edit: minimum and average frame rate...which makes even less sense to stack them like that.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 20, 2015

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
So does the disabled C-states on the non-Z non-K Skylake overclocking essentially mean it's going to be screaming away at 4.5ghz or whatever 24/7 or not? I've heard that SpeedStep works independently of C-states (possibly lowering the frequency but not the vcore? not sure how/if this works with offset vcore) but it's a little confusing. I'd love to save some money and simultaneously have the flexibility of overclocking since I do some CPU-intensive work but I'd prefer to not have it running hot as hell / drawing tons of power while it's just sitting there overnight, especially as I'll be using an ITX case.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 20, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Then spend the extra scratch to get a decent Z board. You have 2 options with voltage: constant voltage, or a +/- offset voltage. All H81/H87 non-Z overclocking I've tried require constant full voltage but did frequency stepping, I don't know how H110/170 will do. The Z boards step both, but maintain the voltage offset at all steps.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Sorry, to clarify, I meant Skylake, which isn't at all 'non-Z' overclocking, I've just been reading way too much Haswell stuff and momentarily forgot that's a different thing. I'd definitely be using a Z board, with a locked i5-6500. Just wasn't sure what the behavior would be since no Turbo/C-states implies to me "no frequency or voltage stepping whatsoever", but if it steps voltage at all, that should be fine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Grundulum posted:

protip the numbers refer not to the entire bar but to the colour they're on

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ooooh... Wait, that doesn't really make it any better though, in fact that makes it the worst stacked bar chart I've ever seen because it makes absolutely no sense to stack the values that way :stare:.

It would've been perfectly readable too if the segment sizes were min and avg-min (while retaining the labels).

Oh look, suddenly you can tell at a glance that the stock Pentium has a higher average but lower minimum than the AMD processor.

Generic Monk posted:

at the price point that they're asking for the x1 carbon a macbook is unronically a better buy

I don't need/want a mac, and cost isn't really my problem (unless the boss catches me :D).

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 20, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Meanwhile ASRock seem to have pulled all information about their "SkyOC"-branded BCLK overclocking initiative from their website. The plot... thickens?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hahah like Intel's able to stop them if they all do that, they're just going to not update microcode unless Intel stops trying to push it

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?p=422677#post422677 here we go, MSI joins the party :getin:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 20, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't need/want a mac, and cost isn't really my problem (unless the boss catches me :D).

they're better machines than any pc laptop and are a lower price than anything with a remotely comparable level of quality, what's not to like

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

they're better machines than any pc laptop and are a lower price than anything with a remotely comparable level of quality, what's not to like

Lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Generic Monk posted:

true but they're useless unless you install a real os on them

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

true but they're useless unless you install a real os on them

I didn't want to get into an argument but yeah, and there's no way in hell IT would allow/support that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't want to get into an argument but yeah, and there's no way in hell IT would allow/support that.

Shameful IT

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

tbf i'll give you this fam

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

do they have decent drivers for running windows yet, or do they still lose a ton of battery life and other stuff when you run windows on them

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

evilweasel posted:

do they have decent drivers for running windows yet, or do they still lose a ton of battery life and other stuff when you run windows on them

The latter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's like having a decent sports car but it only functions in Gary, Indiana

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

well, the newest ones have stopped supporting Windows 7 so that might be a deciding factor for many people.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know this thread doesn't see much action lately, but this may be of interest to some of you:

Aqua Computer over in Germany has come up with a 3D printable delidding tool for Skylake: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/auqa-computer-skylake-delid-spacer,30806.html

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know this thread doesn't see much action lately, but this may be of interest to some of you:

Aqua Computer over in Germany has come up with a 3D printable delidding tool for Skylake: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/auqa-computer-skylake-delid-spacer,30806.html

I must ask why are people wanting to delid their cpus?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

wargames posted:

I must ask why are people wanting to delid their cpus?

Intel can't/won't (don't remember which) solder the heat spreader to the CPU die so they attach it with thermal compound. Reportedly way the hell too much thermal compound.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Intel can't/won't (don't remember which) solder the heat spreader to the CPU die so they attach it with thermal compound. Reportedly way the hell too much thermal compound.

From what I have read on the subject it becomes harder to use solder the smaller the CPU die gets, on smaller dies the solder becomes prone to cracking and destroying the CPU. Also the non-LGA2011-3 chips don't really produce enough heat to justify the cost of the soldering process, which is actually very complex and expensive because it uses some very rare metals in extremely thin layers to create the bonds needed between the CPU die and the heat spreader.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

From what I have read on the subject it becomes harder to use solder the smaller the CPU die gets, on smaller dies the solder becomes prone to cracking and destroying the CPU. Also the non-LGA2011-3 chips don't really produce enough heat to justify the cost of the soldering process, which is actually very complex and expensive because it uses some very rare metals in extremely thin layers to create the bonds needed between the CPU die and the heat spreader.

Exactly this from what I have read. However they also aren't using the best thermal paste either so delidding and applying some better stuff seems to provide nearly as good results as soldering it would.

Though this is also part of the reason I will probably be LGA2011-X For the foreseeable future as I don't need an iGPU and use all the cores and PCI-E lanes more often then most.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I thought it was not the thermal compound, or even the amount that was the problem; but rather the glue they use at the edges to hold the heatspreader on. Removing all that poo poo closes a small gap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That is also a factor. I know the experiment you're talking about, where someone delidded an Ivy Bridge, repasted it, and did tests without the glue and a paper shim to simulate glue.

EDIT: Found it: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

I am not going to say this is still a problem for Skylake, as I haven't seen anyone find the same result, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised either.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Exactly this from what I have read. However they also aren't using the best thermal paste either so delidding and applying some better stuff seems to provide nearly as good results as soldering it would.

Though this is also part of the reason I will probably be LGA2011-X For the foreseeable future as I don't need an iGPU and use all the cores and PCI-E lanes more often then most.

Related to that, the above test showed that the Intel TIM was superior to NT-H1, which is one of the better pastes out there.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 30, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm probably going LGA 2011 too for my next build. Now that I can spend what I want on things, fuggit 6+ cores here i come.

My ESXi server just got a 2011 revamp with 64gb of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mayodreams posted:

I'm probably going LGA 2011 too for my next build. Now that I can spend what I want on things, fuggit 6+ cores here i come.

My ESXi server just got a 2011 revamp with 64gb of RAM.

My older i7-3770 with 32gb ram is still chugging along. I'll probably hold off for another year or two.