Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

The Macaroni posted:

Do they explain more about why Kiryu left Sunshine Orphanage aside from the scene in 1-2? Because I'm not following what happened. :confused:

Yeah; there's a whole scene about it at the top of part 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I teared up doing Haruka's magazine interview with the letters from Okinawa and I don't care who knows it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Not Operator posted:

I teared up doing Haruka's magazine interview with the letters from Okinawa and I don't care who knows it.

That was a really good scene.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For the Shinada Komaki LB fight, just bring 6 warning signs and save yourself the grief, bout to check if this tactic works with Akiyama, its actually manageable with Kiryu and hilariously easy with Saejima.

edit: yup works for Akiyama, now I just need to hit 25/get all the weapon revelations, and then its time to finish the game.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 18, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Heads up for something that's not quite intuitive - Saejima actually has a faster dodge-roll than Kiryu, and it's unlocked automatically. Motherfucker is nimble for an old bull.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Saejima went from being my least favorite to play as in 4 to my favorite in 5.

Also I'm doing the finale: PRISON BROS TO THE RESCUE

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I beat it.

:unsmith:

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
The ending owned, especially the bit where hundreds of yakuza bow to my boy Akiyama.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the general consensus on New Guy, story and gameplay-wise?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This is better than I could have dreamed. I mean it sucks that Ms. Park died, but now Akiyama is here and he and Haruka are going to go all Pollyanna Dancer Cop/Lovable Dirtbag Cop on everybody. This is, in fact, the best possible story.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
lol at Kiryu still having a flip phone

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

lol at Kiryu still having a flip phone
At the time that game came out several years ago, Japan had not yet ditched flip phones.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

What's the general consensus on New Guy, story and gameplay-wise?

Story-wise he's great, super like-able dude with a lot of great secondary characters attached to him. His fighting style is very weapon/parry/grapple oriented, and he has SOME of Tanimura's heat moves but not all of them. He's my least favorite dude to play as but that's more commentary on how good all the other dudes feel, and not that Shinada himself plays poorly.

In terms of who I like to play as it goes Saejima, Akiyama, Kiryu and Shinada.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The many adventures of Kiryu the taxi driver:

Kirty cringing at coworker apologizing horribly.

I chickened out and chose the first option

From an "effeminate" customer

Answering my own question:

Yechezkel posted:

I caught a tuna valued at ¥100,000. Are there any side stories or restaurants that need it or can I pawn if off without worry?
The answer is yes. The maguro/tuna can be donated to Kamiyama Works for something special. Whatever it is, I need to be at a high level to get it.

mikeycp posted:

You can get the Daytona USA song for racing. Amazing.
Everyone do this. Best moment in the Kiryu section so far.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I do wish the Sonic R theme would have been a choice.

Clearly not everybody is super sonic racing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The correct choice is actually Magical Sound Shower.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's been three loving games and the fact that Virtua Fighter Pachinko is still a scam never sets in until after I've gone over 300 spins without a single win.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
gently caress your Daytona, and your magical showers. Machine Gun Kiss all day, every day.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

It's been three loving games and the fact that Virtua Fighter Pachinko is still a scam never sets in until after I've gone over 300 spins without a single win.
Wait, is that recurring thing in Yakuza games? I just figured it was because pachinko is a dark art. Now you're telling me half of the pachinko games never win on purpose? Oye, this friggin' game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yechezkel posted:

The answer is yes. The maguro/tuna can be donated to Kamiyama Works for something special. Whatever it is, I need to be at a high level to get it.
drat it. I got dollar signs in my eyes since I got it before earning several hundred thousand yen doing the taxi quests.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Karthe posted:

Wait, is that recurring thing in Yakuza games? I just figured it was because pachinko is a dark art. Now you're telling me half of the pachinko games never win on purpose? Oye, this friggin' game.

300+ spins on Virtua Fighter, not a single win. 400 or so on Aladdin Chance and I've got two. VF has been a scam in 4, Dead Souls, and 5! gently caress Virtua Fighter!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Sounds accurate to really life pachinko/pachislo

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Policenaut posted:

300+ spins on Virtua Fighter, not a single win. 400 or so on Aladdin Chance and I've got two. VF has been a scam in 4, Dead Souls, and 5! gently caress Virtua Fighter!

Now now, let's not be hasty. gently caress all pachinko including Aladdin.

I understand a specific machine in Kamurocho, number --35--, has a higher win chance. Of course, getting a "you're lucky" text helps too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

VF machine 30 in Fukuoka actually gave me my first big pachinko win in any of the 5 games, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Captain Walker posted:

gently caress your Daytona, and your magical showers. Machine Gun Kiss all day, every day.

I'm a Get To The Top! man myself. I just imagine Majima singing it the whole time, gives me strength.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Been playing Aladdin Chance for about an hour or so now and coming off 4 wins is pretty nice. Only... 3500 balls or so until I hit the mark needed for the Pachinko completion!

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
God drat I love Akiyama. That sequence at the end of Chapter 3 part 3 with the Mystery Man was rad as hell.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Has there ever been a buddy cop thing in a movie quite like Shinada's? Because playing through what is basically a film noir story where your buddy is none other than a loan shark who is tagging along to make sure he gets paid is such a brilliant concept. And yes, I've played through to the finale, so I know. But still, that's just an amazing idea for a character relationship.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Crappy Jack posted:

Has there ever been a buddy cop thing in a movie quite like Shinada's? Because playing through what is basically a film noir story where your buddy is none other than a loan shark who is tagging along to make sure he gets paid is such a brilliant concept. And yes, I've played through to the finale, so I know. But still, that's just an amazing idea for a character relationship.

I'll watch any movie with a character as endearing as Takasugi.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

News: almost finished with Akiyama's substories.

Views: I'm going to throw Strawberry Maya in a trash can, pon!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Is there some trick to the gourmet training? I've been to every eatery in the first area and could only tell him about two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sindai posted:

Is there some trick to the gourmet training? I've been to every eatery in the first area and could only tell him about two.

There are three, so the trick is to go to every one again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
In the first chapter I had an accessory, forget what it was, that prevented encounters. Is there anything like that available in the other chapters? I'm getting pretty loving tired of having to curbstomp Town Thugs every couple of steps while I'm covering the entire loving map collecting map fragments as Saejima. Especially since I've already hit the level cap and so don't need the experience.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Still in the first chapter of the first part first part. Does beating that one dude by the river in Shogi unlock anything? I get that it is basically Chess, but that is still my great gaming blindspot.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Still in the first chapter of the first part first part. Does beating that one dude by the river in Shogi unlock anything? I get that it is basically Chess, but that is still my great gaming blindspot.

After you beat him 3 times he leaves and gives you 30,000 yen. I haven't progressed much farther than you though so I'm not sure if he comes back somewhere else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Snowball fights are the loving pits. Holy poo poo.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For some reason the game refuses to let me get out of the driving tutorial after the L2 TO BRAKE hint window pops up. Any trick to getting this working?

EDIT: Oh hey, this is how I learn my left trigger isn't working anymore. Cool then. I guess I'll show myself out and NOT loving PLAY YAKUZA 5 LIKE I WAS EXPECTING TO.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 19, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I really appreciate them using your custom taxi in cutscenes. Pulling up to a yakuza mansion on a serious business mission in my bright pink Harukamobile was pretty great.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just saw the Essence of Face Grating heat action.

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RE: Shogi, you need to win 5 Shogi games to get the completion mark for it. I'm poo poo at it too, which is why I downloaded this program. You can set it up and then play the game on the computer alongside Yakuza 5's and just do the moves the AI suggests when it's your turn. Stomped that guy 3-0 and am ready to mop up a real Shogi club whenever I get to a character who has access to one.

Unrelated, holy gently caress is Pachinko's completion mark unfair. I thought it was attain 7777 balls, but you actually need to finish a game of Pachinko with 7777 more balls than where you started! I think this is gonna be like 4 and Dead Souls where I wait until the end of the game, having completed all the characters and all their substories, and find that I have like 2 or 3 guaranteed jackpot items and use them all in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Policenaut posted:

RE: Shogi, you need to win 5 Shogi games to get the completion mark for it. I'm poo poo at it too, which is why I downloaded this program. You can set it up and then play the game on the computer alongside Yakuza 5's and just do the moves the AI suggests when it's your turn. Stomped that guy 3-0 and am ready to mop up a real Shogi club whenever I get to a character who has access to one.

Unrelated, holy gently caress is Pachinko's completion mark unfair. I thought it was attain 7777 balls, but you actually need to finish a game of Pachinko with 7777 more balls than where you started! I think this is gonna be like 4 and Dead Souls where I wait until the end of the game, having completed all the characters and all their substories, and find that I have like 2 or 3 guaranteed jackpot items and use them all in one go.

Pachinko is the only part of the game I hate and won't bother with.

• Locked thread