Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jsor posted:

Was after Ego Trip where the animation style changed?

Yeah, that was the intended series finale, after which Genndy and Dexter's original VA left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

My two favorite episodes of Dexter's Lab were the Omelette du Fromage episode and the one where he meets the music teacher.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite dexter's lab episode is a tie between the opera episode and every single Justice Friends episode

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

C'mon son, the best episode is the Dodgeball episode, although Omelette du Fromage is a close second.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really glad the "I have failed you" scene has caught on in internet culture

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mr Interweb posted:

What the gently caress? What is the purpose of doing such a thing? I mean, okay from CN's perspective they get paid, but why would the U.S. govt buy such a thing? The only thing I could think of is if they were dying to put ST on PBS, but aside from that...?

Calling it "selling the show to the government" seems like a ludicrous mischaracterization. He seems to be saying that they declared that they'd lost money on the production costs when compared to the show's value (licensing it for air in the US and internationally, etc.). So they pulled it off the air to prevent it from throwing off the "value" they'd claimed it generated. Or maybe they just "wrote it off" as not grabbing enough eyeballs on Toonami. Or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Babe Magnet posted:

my favorite dexter's lab episode is a tie between the opera episode and every single Justice Friends episode

There's also the child's submission episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT9nkGZa08

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

There's also the child's submission episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT9nkGZa08

"You are stupid! You are stupid! Oh, and don't forget, you are STUPID!"

Good times, good times. :allears:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Really? I feel like ST's attempts at humor didn't mesh at all with the more serious stuff and robot fights. Like, I get the feel that Tartakovsky was going for, but it just didn't work (for me at least). Which is a shame because I will agree that the actual plot and robot fights and stuff was pretty good.

So I guess what I'm saying reading back over my post is that Symbionic Titan really could've benefited from being split into "serious" and "comedy" episodes the same way someone complained about earlier with Samurai Jack.

I don't recall seeing much comedy in the series though, aside from that dancing scene, if that counts.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't recall seeing much comedy in the series though, aside from that dancing scene, if that counts.

THE HAMMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ConanThe3rd posted:

"You are stupid! You are stupid! Oh, and don't forget, you are STUPID!"

Good times, good times. :allears:

I love the parts where he forgets what to say halfway through, or the parts where the mom comes into the recording a few times

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stuff like this makes me sad that Titan will never be in a Super Robot Wars game

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, somehow missed that.

So, somewhat random topic. You guys ever seen Heathcliff? Was one of my favorite shows growing up. I came upon some episodes on youtube, and one thing in particular really struck out for me. The animation, in many episodes, was pretty drat good. Quite beyond anything that I recall seeing in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWi4k3DLxNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1auXo6jx64g

While I loved this show as a kid, I honestly don't remember ever talking to anyone at school about it. Apparently, it had a pretty good run, with over 80 episodes, so presumably someone other than me was watching. Of course, you had shows like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-man, etc. All shows that were way more popular than Heathcliff, yet looked like poo poo. In fact, I honestly can't think of a single show offhand from that period with animation that compares. It's so clean, vibrant, and fluid. It's mind-blowing in a way.

Of course, it didn't seem to last. Not sure exactly if it was cause Dic wound up changing animation studios for the second season, or that they enacted serious budget cuts (or a combination of both), but the episodes wound up looking as crappy as its 80s animated brethren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyezZbt3gUE

Shame really.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Heathcliff always felt like second tier Garfield to me. I never liked the alley cats either.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

Heathcliff always felt like second tier Garfield to me. I never liked the alley cats either.

I never understood why the Cadillac Cats were such jerks when they showed up in the Heathcliff parts. Also: Heathcliff came first in the paper and on tv. Jim Davis is even lazier than you thought.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Also: Heathcliff came first in the paper and on tv. Jim Davis is even lazier than you thought.
Yeah, but he's making more money, which means he's better than whoever made Heathcliff. See? I don't know who made it! I just proved my own point.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

The Heathcliff comic was better than the Garfield comic. The Garfield cartoon was funnier than the Heathcliff cartoon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Yeah, but he's making more money, which means he's better than whoever made Heathcliff. See? I don't know who made it! I just proved my own point.

I don't know who writes or draws Garfield these days either, though. Probably a basement full of art-school interns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Top Cat is my alley cat cartoon of choice.

I guess it is a bit of a rarity for an 80s cartoon to not be based around selling toys. I'm sure that there were more, but I can't think of them. Personally, I spent my childhood watching 60s cartoons in the 90s.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know who writes or draws Garfield these days either, though. Probably a basement full of art-school interns.
Probably a bunch of marketing people, because it's still a merchandising cash cow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Y-Hat posted:

Probably a bunch of marketing people, because it's still a merchandising cash cow.
Yeah Garfield is for some reason the mascot of Kennywood (amusement park near Pittsburgh) and it pisses me off because when they announced he was the mascot they remodeled the Old Mill ride to Garfield's Nightmare and ruined all that was good about the Old Mill :argh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

since the Steven Universe thread is still locked, gotta report this news here;

Steven Universe Returning January 4th

and a preview clip

and the first five episodes of the new year(as part of a Bomb)

quote:

“The Answer”– Garnet finally tells Steven the story of how she came to be a Crystal Gem.

“Steven’s Birthday” – Steven has a birthday party out at the barn, and decides he has some growing up to do.

“It Could’ve Been Great” – The Gems take a trip to the moon.

“Message Received” – Steven has doubts about believing in everyone.

“Log Date 7 15 2”– Steven sneaks a listen to a friend’s audio diary.

kinda hoping this news might lead to the SU thread getting reopened, I think it's been locked long enough

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

since the Steven Universe thread is still locked, gotta report this news here;

Steven Universe Returning January 4th

and a preview clip

and the first five episodes of the new year(as part of a Bomb)

kinda hoping this news might lead to the SU thread getting reopened, I think it's been locked long enough

That thread can stay locked.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

in addition to being terrible, it was in the wrong forum anyways; anime goes in ADTRW (now VEGETA), not TVIV

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Freaking finally. And they open it up with more Gem Homeworld stuff, awesome.

edit: Also, yeah, upon that thread opening up, it's going to be a magnet for just poo poo upon poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Also, yeah, upon that thread opening up, it's going to be a magnet for just poo poo upon poo poo.

I'd say to just start a new one but yeah it's just gonna be a mountain of threadshit vs. complaining about threadshit whitenoise no matter what forum it's in. I pity the mods.

e: just put it in GBS until the rage virus burns itself out

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 19, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's been a couple months I'm sure most of the idiots have calmed down(really should have gotten the mods to ban most of them instead of closing the thread, would have been a much better solution)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Do I even want to know why and how the SU thread got this air of notoriety? I can't guess because I can come up with five contradictory answers.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I can't say I'm not a little curious myself, seeing as I haven't watched SU and thus not seen the thread.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

Do I even want to know why and how the SU thread got this air of notoriety? I can't guess because I can come up with five contradictory answers.

It's mostly just one creeper who also poo poo up the Gravity Falls thread.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

It's mostly just one creeper who also poo poo up the Gravity Falls thread.

I thought Sithsaber got banned.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Because of the posters who are literal anthropomorphized penises, other posters who can't handle said penises, and the ever waging war on whether or not fanart is good or devil.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The show is nice and deserves better than how bad that thread was... But, cool! new episodes, finally! FIVE whole new episodes before they arbitrarily delay further episodes. That's pretty nice. It's only like a tiny part of that ginormous list of what was like a billion leaked episode titles but still, five episodes, cool.

And it looks like the new episodes are going to be pretty great! They have a theme in common! Seems they're challenging Steven's naive but right hearted worldview. I was waiting to see how/if they'd handle that, we only had a little bit of it post season finale, and the show doesn't pull punches when examining and developing its characters. And I'm sure the new birthday episode will be just as light and fun as the last one was!

mycot posted:

thread was getting as pages a day as there are sets of real numbers when there hadn't been a new episode for weeks and there was no date or summaries for new episodes in sight, it was a bad scene.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 19, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mycot posted:

Imagine a thread that gets infested with the absolute worst sort of tumblrposters and tvtropesposters where everything is meant to build an all-accepting hugbox so the really freaky weirdos who sexualize chidlrens cartoons feel like they're given carte Blanche to talk about their weird and borderline illegal fetishes as everyone else sort of shuffles side to side uncomfortably, unsure of how to react due to the safe space they've made

Now imagine if something horrendous happens to a completely unrelated person that gets some traction on the greater internet at large due to being a prime example of fandoms, specifically tumblr, being crazy, leading to gbs getting inordinately interested, leading to a pseudo-invasion of this aforementioned hugbox

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

It mostly got locked in a cycle of

Poster A posts some fanart or some poo poo --> Poster B mocks Poster A for posting that --> Posters C-F chime in to comment on B is an rear end in a top hat

then repeat for months because there were no new episodes and thus nothing to really talk about and sometimes goons can't grasp the concept of just not posting when there's nothing to talk about.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Toxxupation posted:

tumblrposters tvtropesposters all-accepting hugbox fandoms,tumblr gbs hugbox

loving millennial SJW Tumblr GBS hipster TVtropes weeaboos...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mycot posted:

If I had to guess I'd say that one guy who was so obsessed with overanalyzing Adventure Time episodes that he made a tumblr blog about it is probably involved.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

If I had to guess I'd say that one guy who was so obsessed with overanalyzing Adventure Time episodes that he made a tumblr blog about it is probably involved.

He actually was not.

Mainly the thread was okay except for the one poster that was really creepy and the other poster that took offense to pretty much every discussion. Mix in a few other people that would probably be happier on tumblr and people that could not help but feed trolls and it was pretty unreadable a large amount of the time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
honestly if there's a thread when there's episodes and there's no thread when there's not hopefully it will be fine, now that johntfs has been permabanned and has been made an example of. good riddance.

hopefully that will be enough to help people understand how to talk about a ten minute episode of a tv show on the internet after it airs, something that has never been accomplished before, there are no examples of this phenomena. christ.

raditts posted:

steve yun actually never watched the show
that's fine

adventure time recently had like ten new episodes, five of which were a five parter and the backstory to one of Marceline... and it was like, the most fun the show has been in a long rear end time. And he didn't comment either. Is he gone now? I hope he's gone now. (the five parter was about how she used be a vampire slayer only she could inhale vampires after dusting them and get their powers, sort of like a mix of Buffy and Kirby, it was great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

axleblaze posted:

Mainly the thread was okay except for the one poster that was really creepy and the other poster that took offense to pretty much every discussion. Mix in a few other people that would probably be happier on tumblr and people that could not help but feed trolls and it was pretty unreadable a large amount of the time.

Oh so the exact reason why Gravity Falls thread was locked.

Also, as much as I'd like to talk about SU again. The Goon Hivemind has deemed it the new MLP and would be threadshitted to oblivion by GBS posters almost immediately.