Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mycot posted:

Yeah Athena is pretty much the only person in the entire epic to give Odysseus a break. That and his dog, for like two seconds.

Odysseus' dog is the saddest loving part of all of Greek/Roman mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mycot posted:

Yeah Athena is pretty much the only person in the entire epic to give Odysseus a break. That and his dog, for like two seconds.

Two things.

One, (I had thought) the reason the Odyssey started in the first place was that Odysseus and his men busted into a Trojan temple, found Cassandra clinging to the feet of an Athena statue, and then chucked her off of the walls. Athena ... did not appreciate that. Later on, the dude was just so clever she eventually relented.

Two, I also thought Poseidon wasn't really on board with the Ulysses hate until he blinded his cyclops son and then bragged about it.

Maybe both of these are wrong? v:shobon:v Also you can mess with somebody by doing good things out of seemingly nowhere after doing some bad things. "Messin' with Mortals" was pretty much the gods' M.O.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Chokes McGee posted:

Two things.

One, (I had thought) the reason the Odyssey started in the first place was that Odysseus and his men busted into a Trojan temple, found Cassandra clinging to the feet of an Athena statue, and then chucked her off of the walls. Athena ... did not appreciate that. Later on, the dude was just so clever she eventually relented.

Two, I also thought Poseidon wasn't really on board with the Ulysses hate until he blinded his cyclops son and then bragged about it.

Maybe both of these are wrong? v:shobon:v Also you can mess with somebody by doing good things out of seemingly nowhere after doing some bad things. "Messin' with Mortals" was pretty much the gods' M.O.

On point one, it was Ajax the lesser that found Cassandra in the temple to Athena, and he didn't throw her from the walls, but rather raped her in the temple. Odysseus actually argued that Ajax should have been stoned to death for his crimes because they angered Athena. Cassandra was then given to Agamemnon as spoils of war.

As for point two, it was the blinding of Polyphemus that caused Poseidon to turn against Odysseus, but that's one of the first things that happened on his journey back to Ithaca, and Poseidon's curse is why the journey winds up taking 10 years and why his whole crew is killed.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Chokes McGee posted:

Two things.

Cassandra dies with Agamemnon when his wife and her lover murder them both. Maybe you're thinking of Hector's son? He was tossed off the walls in most accounts.

It's been a minute since I last read The Odyssey myself, but wikipedia says that one of the Ajaxes found Cassandra in Athena's temple during the sack of Troy, raped her, and took her captive, and yeah, that pissed Athena right off. Odysseus argued for his execution, but the Greeks refused to punish him, so Athena took it out on the whole drat fleet with Poseidon/Zeus' help. I'm guessing these were the storms that initially knocked Odysseus off course, so yeah I guess that's the "start" of Odysseus' voyage, but that's much more a case of Athena wanting to gently caress over lots of Greeks at once rather than anything personal against Odysseus (especially since he was in favor of punishing the sacrilege).

And yeah killing the cyclops is what earns Odysseus his ten-years-at-sea curse.

edit: Looks like most of that got answered while I was typing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Now all this Greek Mythology talk makes me hope that we get an Incredible Hercules Netflix series

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd love that and have wished for it several times in the thread, simply because Hercules is a much more light hearted and comedic character, at least in the comics and while I'm enjoying the shows Netflix has put out so far I'd like to see something comedic and fun as a contrast to them as well. I'm hoping Iron-Fist turns out that way, but with one of the guys from Dexter running it I'm starting to think they'll probably go with something a bit more serious instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SHIELD is pretty goofy but I'd imagine that Netflix is gonna keep doing what it's been doing.

Also guys Defenders is gonna be nuts.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Jessica Jones is a good show, and I want to watch it again

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AtraMorS posted:

t's been a minute since I last read The Odyssey myself, but wikipedia says that one of the Ajaxes found Cassandra in Athena's temple during the sack of Troy, raped her, and took her captive, and yeah, that pissed Athena right off. Odysseus argued for his execution, but the Greeks refused to punish him, so Athena took it out on the whole drat fleet with Poseidon/Zeus' help. I'm guessing these were the storms that initially knocked Odysseus off course, so yeah I guess that's the "start" of Odysseus' voyage, but that's much more a case of Athena wanting to gently caress over lots of Greeks at once rather than anything personal against Odysseus (especially since he was in favor of punishing the sacrilege).

I was close, at least!

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I'm confused as to why lawyer lady cut the electricity to the cell.

Like, I get that she was ready to make a deal with Kilgrave, and nearly let him out (stopping herself when it looked like she was gonna get caught). But why disconnect the shock button? That doesn't help her in any way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

many johnnys posted:

I'm confused as to why lawyer lady cut the electricity to the cell.

Like, I get that she was ready to make a deal with Kilgrave, and nearly let him out (stopping herself when it looked like she was gonna get caught). But why disconnect the shock button? That doesn't help her in any way.

It's all she had time for.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

wiegieman posted:

It's all she had time for.

But why do it at all? Even if Jeri had all the time in the world, disconnecting the shock switch has nothing to do with opening his cell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jeri only cares about herself. She has to go open the inner door to let him out. If someone had come back and caught her doing it, the shock button could have not only foiled her plan but shocked her as well.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The water was only in Kilgrave's cell. She didn't need to go in there herself (and why would she, it'd get her expensive suit wet)

I assumed the thing shorted out at the worst possible time (they had a lot of hardware plugged into the switch) but no, next episode they said it was deliberately cut. Should have just made it a short, it'd make more sense that way.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

many johnnys posted:

But why do it at all? Even if Jeri had all the time in the world, disconnecting the shock switch has nothing to do with opening his cell.

I assumed she was just passively creating a circumstance where Kilgrave could leverage his own way out. If she let him out directly, Jessica could still maybe stop her, but the shock failsafe being disabled allows the situation to devolve such that tons of chaotic poo poo happens all at once, and Jessica isn't able to react intelligently on-the-fly.

Or, I'm just giving the show a free pass on that one, but Jeri and Kilgrave functioning in similar ways - indirectly manipulating Jessica's impulse to reduce collateral damage - seems consistent. She wanted to help Kilgrave escape. But doing it her way keeps her out of the line of fire, and isn't even obvious until after the fact.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cutting the cord ensured that Jessica's proof would be sabotaged so more time would be needed to get the proof. As a result Jeri would have more time to come to an agreement with Killgrave and let him out without anyone knowing it was her. As evidenced by her trying to flee, she vastly underestimated how hosed up Killgrave was. Remember, she was fantasizing about the advantages to Killgrave's power. So she was thinking what would Jeri Hogarth do in this situation with this power, not what would a hosed up super rear end in a top hat like Killgrave do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

many johnnys posted:

The water was only in Kilgrave's cell. She didn't need to go in there herself (and why would she, it'd get her expensive suit wet)

yeah for some reason I was thinking the metal door in the room filled with water might transmit the electric shock as well.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Xealot posted:

Or, I'm just giving the show a free pass on that one, but Jeri and Kilgrave functioning in similar ways - indirectly manipulating Jessica's impulse to reduce collateral damage - seems consistent. She wanted to help Kilgrave escape. But doing it her way keeps her out of the line of fire, and isn't even obvious until after the fact.

Yeah, I gave the show a free pass on other stuff (like the erasing footage stuff)

Gyges posted:

Cutting the cord ensured that Jessica's proof would be sabotaged so more time would be needed to get the proof. As a result Jeri would have more time to come to an agreement with Killgrave and let him out without anyone knowing it was her. As evidenced by her trying to flee, she vastly underestimated how hosed up Killgrave was. Remember, she was fantasizing about the advantages to Killgrave's power. So she was thinking what would Jeri Hogarth do in this situation with this power, not what would a hosed up super rear end in a top hat like Killgrave do.
That doesn't really make sense. Cutting the cord gives her more time to come to an agreement and let him out, but she was already letting him out. Plus, getting/destroying proof of mind control was never on her radar anyway, that was Simpson's motivation - well, the part where getting proof gets in the way of him playing hero and solving the problem his own way.

Plus, cutting the cord doesn't make it so the proof is sabotaged anyway - the camera is still running, it just ruins the killswitch. Having the switch does invalidate any confession they obtain, but ultimately she lets that one go.

Anyway it's a good show, just that bit stuck out a little and was so easy to fix.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I thought it was part of the agreement. She said she would help him get out, wasn't able to let him out the door. By cutting the wire, she helped to him to escape because now he's back in control, especially since Jessica thinks she is in control.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Random question, somebody asked me if this show would be Rated R, and I was curious, I actually don't recall if this show has lots of the word "gently caress" or not. I recall Purple Man said "screw himself", were they dropping f-bombs like in the comic? I hope so. But I find it funny that I don't actually know. Also, did Daredevil? My guess is there wasn't much f-word usage? Unless there was.

I know neither show had any real nudity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah they stop short at gently caress. Lots of shits tho.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Heavy Metal posted:

Random question, somebody asked me if this show would be Rated R, and I was curious, I actually don't recall if this show has lots of the word "gently caress" or not. I recall Purple Man said "screw himself", were they dropping f-bombs like in the comic? I hope so. But I find it funny that I don't actually know. Also, did Daredevil? My guess is there wasn't much f-word usage? Unless there was.

I know neither show had any real nudity.

A woman is stabbed 500 times and then another woman has her head caved in by a table.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

uPen posted:

A woman is stabbed 500 times and then another woman has her head caved in by a table.

Also graphic dismemberment and a throat slitting after scene. I'm not sure if the sex scenes are shot so they would get the PG-13 either, after all Trish gets some oral from Simpson and the MPAA loving hates that poo poo. Dude's getting oral on the other hand they're pretty OK with.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

zoux posted:

Nah they stop short at gently caress. Lots of shits tho.

Interesting I guess that Marvel is avoiding that for some reason, despite it being in the books.

uPen posted:

With the direction censorship is going, that will all be PG in ten years, just no tits or cussing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, a 14 year old isn't going to accidentally repeat a brutal table slaying in public and embarrass their parents, after all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Homeric poetry - especially the Iliad - got us this so its importance as a work of literature is clear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Well, a 14 year old isn't going to accidentally repeat a brutal table slaying in public and embarrass their parents, after all.

Let me tell about the argument in favor of censoring violence...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Interesting I guess that Marvel is avoiding that for some reason, despite it being in the books.

With the direction censorship is going, that will all be PG in ten years, just no tits or cussing.

Yeah as i was posting before I realized you were asking something else, Alias is basically "Saying gently caress: The Comic".

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
F is for Family is pretty good.

I thought the show was going to suck because the trailer made the series look terrible and I wasn't sure Bill Burr could lead a show but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chromatic posted:

F is for Family is pretty good.

I thought the show was going to suck because the trailer made the series look terrible and I wasn't sure Bill Burr could lead a show but I'm pleasantly surprised.

This is based off a Marvel Knights imprint mini-series from 97 right?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
gently caress. I just saw "Netflix" and assumed it was the Netflix thread. I don't card read good.

Please ignore my post.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Heavy Metal's post confused me way more, because I was now looking for what Marvel Knights character Bill Burr was playing :psyduck:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gyges posted:

after all Trish gets some oral from Simpson and the MPAA loving hates that poo poo. Dude's getting oral on the other hand they're pretty OK with.

Is this true? Pretty funny if so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
At one point Malcolm slips in a quick "gently caress" at the beginning of a sentence. But you can get away with saying it once and still get a PG-13.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The South Park guys have some pretty good interview clips on YouTube on how bizarre the rating system is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

I think This Film Is Not Yet Rated is on Netflix, its a good documentary, if. A bit old now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Did Netflix change the cover art or am I just imagining things?

edit: Yeah, they've definitely changed the cover art of a bunch of their stuff.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 19, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

pseudorandom name posted:

Did Netflix change the cover art or am I just imagining things?

edit: Yeah, they've definitely changed the cover art of a bunch of their stuff.

The majority of Netflix cover images switch out randomly between a handful of different ones.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PriorMarcus posted:

The majority of Netflix cover images switch out randomly between a handful of different ones.

The Daredevil one changed from the black outfit to the red gear I think on the Sunday after it came out. Undermined the reveal a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure netflix employs a team of interns with photoshop to supply a constant rotation of cover art for basically all their content. It's part of how they create the illusion of more content than they have. some of the movie cover arts that they switch to are just loving awful. That's how I came up with intern theory, because I don't know why else they would be so bad.

fake edit: to clarify, I am talking about the thumbnail art, not the big backdrop splash. Yes that is a different deal.