Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
From Alpha PU 2.1 patch notes:

quote:

The first iteration of our new physicalized EVA system is in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynyTYn8Wlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Sounds like the new spaceship is working as intended:
Star Citizen: repeats infinitely until you kill yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZenMaster posted:

I will never for the life of me understand why they didn't release everything as soon as they could, even if the ships were little more than boxes and the planets flat circles, but actually have seamless travel, EVA, landings, missions, and multicrew and then refine everything upwards so we could have a game to actually play with missions and story lines and things to do, and roles to play.

Instead, they did the ONE THING you never do: YOU NEVER RELEASE FINAL QUALITY UNTIL EVERYTHING IS IN A FINAL OR SEMI FINAL STATE and tested up the wazoo.

If you are designing a prototype, you never go finished quality up front. You don't spend $5000 on an artist to make your board game artwork, cards, heroes, etc etc and then sit down to play it for the first time.... you'll change it 25 times because you haven't actually played the game or refined ANYTHING. Then, you will call the artist and pay him another $5000 to fix everything and then run back for more play testing, I guess? WHY? I am still smh so hard.

This is $^#!$%#!$ exactly what they did, they are trying to release finished products, assets, locations, and planets into an untested buggy prototype. They have wasted years on refining ships over and over. Of course they have, they didn't playtest the stupid thing and focused on artwork.

How many people have written down rules for a game that sounds fun and then played a few rounds and found out it had serious issue, imbalances, and broken rules (or rules you could use to break the game). And you come at me with final artwork on your crap game and expect that to distract me from your shallow broken game? Ludicrous. You grab some pencils and paper and spend an hour making a roughed out version with little to zero artwork. You grab game pieces from other games, you cobble it together and playtest the heck out of it with as many people as you can until it's FUN. Then, ramp it up, print some nicer cards with artwork, beautify it, go nuts. Refine rules and refine artwork more and once it's solid, hire your artists to make it final quality. And the finished game will still have bugs to work out, but you can take care of that in future reprints if needed...

Absolutely, unrefined insanity. CIG is building a 100 million dollar jet fighter and THEN taking it out back to see if it can actually fly. What utter nonsense, hubris, and... ugh, just the mental gymnastics they must have gone through in the last 3 years to justify any of these actions. This is why, if any of you SC backers are listening, this will fail, it has no chance, unless they dump the fidelity and start working on the game, rules, fitting the million pieces together, and the cohesion of the dozens of promises FIRST AND FOREMOST and drop the inane JPEG polishers and pixel artists. Stop working on anything related to beautify SC, just stop. Focus 100% on fixing the issues and adding in the content, ugly and FUNCTIONAL.

They will run out of blubber years before the actual game is finished if they don't stop right now and refocus on the important stuff. Everyone is talking about how pretty it is, NO one is talking about how deep, strategic, or engaging it is. Crobberts hated it so much, and even complained about being bored, disliking the design of certain parts, etc etc.

Looks like you don't know about anything about game development. With a project of this scope, you need a vision to work towards first and foremost. Chris roberts is focusing on what's important by showing us what's going to be there when it's all finished in 2016. Be realistic, the art is what you're going to be looking at in the end, not whatever the code monkeys do between now and then. You sound like someone who plays elite. Did you know that star citizen has procedural generation too? Checkmate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

hey guys

did anyone read this book?

you can almost hear nonbelievers crying on the background
Oh man that 747 jpeg

*gets credit card out*

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Nyeehg posted:

I've not played a space sim in years but that description just sold me on Elite. If Elite truly has the atmosphere of being lost in space then I need to buy it now.

This is about as lost as I got:

65,000 light years from the sun, which is on the opposite side of the Milky Way disk in the picture. Took me four months to get there (I'm a casual). Only met two other people on the way out.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2015

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

hey guys

did anyone read this book?

you can almost hear nonbelievers crying on the background

I really need to requote this:

quote:

"It has been a long-standing policy of the Church that if someone is dissatisfied with their Scientology services and asks to have their contributions returned within a three month period, these amounts will be returned. Likewise, if the person asks for return of contributions for which no services were received (i.e. an advance payment), there is no three month limitation period. Anyone newly enrolling in services at a Church of Scientology is informed of the policies and signs an agreement to abide by them. As a further condition of receiving a refund or repayment, the person understands that they may not again receive services from the Church.

"The Church's refund policy is exceedingly fair. If someone isn't happy with Scientology -- which is a very small minority of people -- he simply has to make a proper request for his donations back, agree to forego further services and his donations will be returned. For the Church, in addition to the fact that this policy aligns with Scientology principles of exchange, it also serves the purpose of allowing our churches and the parishioners who are very happy with Scientology, to carry on without the unhappy few in their midst."

A literal cash-grab cult has a more sane refund policy than CIG.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Looks like you don't know about anything about game development. With a project of this scope, you need a vision to work towards first and foremost. Chris roberts is focusing on what's important by showing us what's going to be there when it's all finished in 2016. Be realistic, the art is what you're going to be looking at in the end, not whatever the code monkeys do between now and then. You sound like someone who plays elite. Did you know that star citizen has procedural generation too? Checkmate.

I think you mean.... Yahtzee! ;)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If we have G-suits for fighter pilots to reduce the effects of g forces during high-speed maneuvers... why the gently caress don't they have anything more sophisticated in the future?

I know the answer already.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

MeLKoR posted:

Well, for me this was enough.

If you don't know DS well enough by now to realize this is the closest you'll ever extract from him in lieu of a retraction I don't know what to tell you other than I hope you're sitting comfortably while you wait.

No point in pressing the issue further, for me this was all I wanted. Trying to squeeze more blood out of this turnip will only make him get confrontational and leave. Laugh management is a careful balance between short term meltdowns and long term sustained laughs. Pressing him too much will probably lead to an hilarious meltdown but considering the mountain of laughs he brings from the SC crowd simply for having an audience here that's sillier than killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

Oh don't worry. There is a method to my strategy. It's going to be all kinds of glorious. Wait. Two weeks.

Quoted for posterity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chocobo posted:

I really need to requote this:

A literal cash-grab cult has a more sane refund policy than CIG.

In practice they send the kind of people who post on the cig forums after you

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

http://youtubedoubler.com/h9TQ

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If we have G-suits for fighter pilots to reduce the effects of g forces during high-speed maneuvers... why the gently caress don't they have anything more sophisticated in the future?

I know the answer already.

You would think they would have some sort of cybernetic assistance like artificial eyes that would be immune to redout and greyout or even have full-on prosthetic bodies, making their brains highly-resistant to changes in gravity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

You would think they would have some sort of cybernetic assistance like artificial eyes that would be immune to redout and greyout or even have full-on prosthetic bodies, making their brains highly-resistant to changes in gravity.

Inertia Dampers.

Cybernetics are coming in 4.7 and will cost real dollars only.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Pre-alpha 4.7? Can't wait.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Inertia Dampers.

Hadn't thought about that, since I'm more a cyberpunk type guy, but, yeah, if you have faster-than-light travel, you're going to have to have something that'll keep you from splattering inside your space ship when ever you do make that jump to lightspeed. Pulling Gs is pretty much meaningless then.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

Hadn't thought about that, since I'm more a cyberpunk type guy, but, yeah, if you have faster-than-light travel, you're going to have to have something that'll keep you from splattering inside your space ship when ever you do make that jump to lightspeed. Pulling Gs is pretty much meaningless then.

Someone mentioned that the freelancer/cutlass both have a (top?) speed of 180 meters per second.

That's barely faster than a Bf-109G-6 Mid-World War II prop fighter.

:laffo::laffo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Going to the next Star System, brb in 15k years

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
sometimes derek is a really good troll

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nation posted:

sometimes derek is a really good troll

He's a griefer

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bait and Swatch posted:

Sounds like the new spaceship is working as intended:

quote:

The Freelancer is virtually unplayable. You can't get in the door, have to go through the cargo bay. Anyone can open your cargo bay door at any time. The turret doesn't fire. Your main guns fire once, then break, but the sound repeats infinitely until you kill yourself and respawn the ship. You red/black out by engaging cruise while going in a straight line. Quantum does work. The ship is beautiful, but M3a guns spawn in the middle of the ship spinning wildly. The copilot station seems intermittant. Sometimes your view is completely obstructed when you try to fly the ship, and if you get up while flying you can't get back in any seat. The viewscreen, when the ship is working, is very restrictive but functional for a light freighter. It is also currently invincible and cannot deal damage to other ships.
Goty

Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wait wait. There's a news van space ship?!

How the gently caress is that even going to work ingame?

Are the building an ingame system where you can report the news? :laffo:
Chris saw Nightcrawler a while back.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Inertia Dampers.

Cybernetics are coming in 4.7 and will cost real dollars only.
I got the bionic legs but forgot the LTI insurance, first time I died I woke up in my bedroom with no way of getting up. I didn't ask for this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

I got the bionic legs but forgot the LTI insurance, first time I died I woke up in my bedroom with no way of getting up. I didn't ask for this.

Chris saw someone play MGS V and thought he should pull a "PL" on Kojima.

Best BDSSE :smuggo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

hey guys

did anyone see this video?

you can almost hear goons crying on the background

They are Happy Tears.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This guy has it all figured out, he'll be doing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs to get to the injured on time while his wife plays Florence Nightingale in the back. He's predicting such a great demand for their services that he's gonna get one of the big ones. I'm certain that pretty soon he'll need to hire extra nurses for his hospital ship.

He should team up with the news crew guys, they could tip him off to the best hunting grounds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I want polling ship that allows me to collect votes for elections, whether they be space stations or planets.

Maybe a customer support ship that patrols a region, taking suggestions and critiques while troubleshooting basic tech problems?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Paul Steven Conyngham

Jabba the Hutt.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

[–]ForgedpcBrisbane[S] 1 point 6 hours ago
Agreed. I would love to see any ship where i can 2 man it but have the capability to retrieve a full constellation of injured. Caterpillar might be the way to go.

Hahaha, read this poo poo. Just how big does this guy imagine the SC battles are going to be? How many wounded people are going to be floating around in space hoping for someone to rescue them when at most you'll have 40 people in an instance? And why would anyone loving stick around floating in space waiting god knows how long for the odd chance someone will show up when they can simply press a button and resurrect? Even with death penalties ain't nobody got time for that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I've seen ships in Star Citizen explode in spectacular glittery fashion. Who the gently caress is surviving that?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So like is this even a game or do we just get angry at people who spend money.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HapiMerchant posted:

So like is this even a tech demo or do we just get angry at people who spend money.

Yes

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Just believe!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

its whatever you wan't it to be

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

a man about to get a divorce posted:

Honey, you know how you love to play nurse to spice things up? We'll I've got us a space ship, now you can play nurse in zero G.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://youtubedoubler.com/h9UA

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Well then i'll spend my christmas dosh on some other mmo-esque thing since i wouldn't want the goony goons to get mad at me.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:perfect:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HapiMerchant posted:

Well then i'll spend my christmas dosh on some other mmo-esque thing since i wouldn't want the goony goons to get mad at me.

lol

Spend money on whatever, who cares? If you think Star Citizen is really something worth buying instead of any other game currently out there, more power to you.

But when it crashes and burns (almost literally) you can at least find solace in the fact that we kept pointing out how suspect Chris and co are.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HapiMerchant posted:

realtalk SC is basically 30 bucks for access to a tiny tech demo atm at the barest minimum so you're probably better off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess you can probably try to grief people between crashes to desktop, that might be worth 30 dollars

• Locked thread