Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Does SC have a lighthouse ship yet?

Space Tugs, Space Tugs everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Backstory to this is great, too. Freelancer started as just a bit of blurb on kickstarter, before anyone figured out they could actually sell non-existent spaceships. When a concept jpeg was posted a few weeks later, it featured a decent ww2 styled bubble canopy:

People were so upset at this, it had to go get changed into what we have now. Because not being able to see poo poo is supposedly somehow good for a ship that's also supposed to be a decent choice for exploring! I guess blinders allow you to focus on something better? Who knows, but star citizen owns, because backers are getting *exactly* what they asked for. :downsgun:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They do in combat "shoot the other guy" mode. There's also cruise "hah hah gently caress you I'm jousting" mode and then quantum "TOTALLY NOT FRIENDSHIP DRIVE" travel.

Cruise got fixed in 2.1, no more decoupling at high velocity. Means trying to joust is just going to get you killed, cause you can't turn around normally any longer :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm the exposed flesh in a vacuum.

That'll leave some welts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

Backstory to this is great, too. Freelancer started as just a bit of blurb on kickstarter, before anyone figured out they could actually sell non-existent spaceships. When a concept jpeg was posted a few weeks later, it featured a decent ww2 styled bubble canopy:

:eng101: A bubble canopy doesn't have any framing or separations, hence the bubble part of it.

The freelancer looks kinda like a B-29's front. Lots of windows but only offering a forward, side, and upward view.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:eng101: A bubble canopy doesn't have any framing or separations, hence the bubble part of it.

The freelancer looks kinda like a B-29's front. Lots of windows but only offering a forward, side, and upward view.

Yeah, sorry, I should've clarified I just meant the shape itself is bubbly. And yeah, it's basically a copy of a b29 with slightly less struts.

This is what it was changed to when the community said the bubbly, useable canopy is no good. :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Maybe if the Shitzens ask nicely, croberts will say yes to a space periscope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvblGCD7qM

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think people were just really hyped for Star Wars and wanted to know what it's like to be a stormtrooper in space.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think people were just really hyped for Star Wars and wanted to know what it's like to be a stormtrooper in space.

Spoiler: storm troopers are now deadly precise

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Surely any claim to have delivered the product is immediately torpedoed by the list of stretch goals? It's their own list of features the game will have and they've implemented hardly any of it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

Spoiler: storm troopers are now deadly precise

JJ Abrams ruins everything he touches

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xaerael posted:

Maybe if the Shitzens ask nicely, croberts will say yes to a space periscope.
Like in that Star Trek episode with exploding phasers instead of depth charges?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLa9iH2ANjc

you can almost hear the goons crying in the background

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLa9iH2ANjc

you can almost hear the goons crying in the background

I now know what a retard trying to hump a door knob in space looks like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Throwing a space tantrum in zero G never looked so good

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Inacio's post got me thinking of a comparison.

MISC Freelancer. 32 meters long. 52 Lesnicks cargo capacity. 175 m/s top speed. 12 missiles, 4x articulated guns, 2x gimballed guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oin00rPNW9k

Zorgon Peterson Hauler. 28.6 meters long. 206 m/s top speed. 2 utility mounts, 1 small hardpoint, configurable for up to 22 tons of cargo.

The Freelancer isn't a hauler. It's a loving gunship.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wings in general and variable-sweep wings in particular must sure come in handy in space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Wings in general and variable-sweep wings in particular must sure come in handy in space.

It's for the increased maneuverability in an atmosphere. It was part of planetary landings all along.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't that the ships entire gimmick though? If you want a pure hauler there's half a dozen better choices with the hull series, the starfarer and the Taurus, all of which have considerably more cargo space.

e: I like how some ships are already unviable due to power creep.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 19, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This game never fails to deliver.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's for the increased maneuverability in an atmosphere. It was part of planetary landings all along.

The next ship will be transformable : Macross style.

$750.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't wait to see one of those dumb asymmetric alien ships doing atmospheric flight. And these people sing praises to the loving flight model which even my mother could tell is completely hosed.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Can wait to see one of those dumb asymmetric alien ships doing atmospheric flight. And these people sing praises to the loving flight model which even my mother could tell was completely hosed.

Checkmate :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Now try with just one wing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

:c00lbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Can wait to see one of those dumb asymmetric alien ships doing atmospheric flight. And these people sing praises to the loving flight model which even my mother could tell is completely hosed.

"flight model" should be in quotes since the game looks like FPS with the cockpit of a space ship on your face.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Isn't this the same thing Frontier were using to deny Elite refunds when they withdraw an offline mode? They just paid up when people tried to take it to small claims. I think if it got as far as court you'd have a strong argument that they have not fulfilled their obligations since there is no Squadron 42, the persistent universe does not exist beyond a tech demo, and perhaps you've paid for a ship that's not yet playable.

I cannot imagine they'd do anything other than roll over immediately when faced with small claims though. The person bringing the claim faces very little risk and sending someone to contest it would be a ridiculous waste of money...and if there's one thing CIG hates it's negligent use of backer fuhahahahaha

Yea, that's why I said it might even be fun. If they actually contest it and someone turns up, I'll make sure to post the transcript or something in however many months it takes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You danced with the airplane warlord

And lost

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

doctor iono posted:

"Any other game developer would have thrown several hundred thousand dollars (or more of OUR money) into a carefully scripted and orchestrated 'perfect presentation'"

Estimated costs of competent play demo:

Getting a dude to make sure your joystick is plugged in 10 minutes before a presentation: $100,000
Get that same guy to also turn on V-sync: $150,000
Create a back-up plan if the game/computer crashes: $200,000
Have a guy coach Chris Roberts through an hour of his own game so he doesn't look like a loving moron: $300,000

it's probably just dumb hyperbole, but i really like to think that dangerous levels of CIG exposure have totally compromised Citizens' ability to evaluate costs or value. poo poo wait
There's a tiny art to producing smooth gameplay demo builds for online videos or the E3 stage shows. Rigging things so that the Cool Thing happens on cue without the player having to futz around waiting for the AI to do something specific, mock-ups for gameplay elements that aren't quite ready for proper prime-time yet, multiple consoles set up just in case something goes awry... making a very unfinished game look more finished than it really is for a cynical audience is practically a tiny artform in itself these days.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wait wait. There's a news van space ship?!

How the gently caress is that even going to work ingame?

Are the building an ingame system where you can report the news? :laffo:
Something like Dead Rising But In Space would be pretty cool. Keep as much chaos and destruction on the screen as possible to score points! Look up a spaceship's skirt for a multiplier!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wafflz posted:

"flight model" should be in quotes since the game looks like FPS with the cockpit of a space ship on your face.
You know how in Fallout 3 when you ride the rail near the end the entire train car is just a helmet the main character is wearing? SC takes it to the next level.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

wikidd posted:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-services/rights-e-commerce/index_en.htm

So a trader can stop a refund from the point at which you start using the service. Obviously we don't think they've fulfilled their obligations; they are saying they have though. That's what I was referring to though.

Well they obviously aren't going to tell you the truth are they? Most people will believe them that's why they say that.

Ring citizen's advice if you want to know the real position, I've posted about the EU situation loads of times now and am pretty bored with it.

If you've in the Uk and just want your money back send them a letter before court action with a 14-30 day deadline, use one of the templates provided, don't get side tracked into bollocks but state your case, when they reply via email make sure you copy the legal bollocks from the template back in your reply. If you don't get a refund by the time the deadline expires, just file the action online, but I bet you a $30 game package you'll get a full refund before the deadline.

Obviously don't do this if you aren't prepared to file a small claims action.

Edit, obviously send the letter recorded delivery, also if you ring Citizen's advice they'll tell you to send a normal letter before the final one before action, there's no point, skip to the final one as that's the important one.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kikkelivelho posted:

Isn't that the ships entire gimmick though? If you want a pure hauler there's half a dozen better choices with the hull series, the starfarer and the Taurus, all of which have considerably more cargo space.

e: I like how some ships are already unviable due to power creep.

CIG's marketing strategy seems to include obsolescence as an integral part. This includes ships being made obsolete before they are even released, only to have them come around later when the next sale is ready. Allowing previously obsolete ships to be unmelted (for additional real dollars) is rather clever.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Inacio's post got me thinking of a comparison.

MISC Freelancer. 32 meters long. 52 Lesnicks cargo capacity. 175 m/s top speed. 12 missiles, 4x articulated guns, 2x gimballed guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oin00rPNW9k

Zorgon Peterson Hauler. 28.6 meters long. 206 m/s top speed. 2 utility mounts, 1 small hardpoint, configurable for up to 22 tons of cargo.

Zorgon Peterson Adder, 31.5 meters long, 2 utility mounts, 2x small hardpoints, 1x medium hardpoint, configurable for up to 26 tons of cargo

It's a much closer match. Also, it was a straight upgrade to the Hauler in every way and was decent enough at combat and exploration in addition to being a better hauler. Sounds a lot like the Freelancer.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I had a new idea for a ship concept:

Something Clearly Awful Ministries "Cathedral" - Church Ship

Dream the Dream. Live the Dream. Preach the Dream. The SCAM Cathedral serves as a beacon of light for spiritually hungry citizens in the vast lonely darkness of space. Jump into a system and spread the word. Deliver sermons for the masses. Provide spiritual counsel to the doubters. Collect donations from the loyal. With hangar space for up to fifty single seat ships, and five docks each fitted with one of our proprietary passenger boarding bridges, you'll have no trouble getting space folks in and getting them out. An advanced, AI-driven network our newest artificial gravity generators keeps your services dignified by limiting ambulation speeds of people on board. And rest assured that you and your flock will be safe from harm, as the Cathedral comes with forty-two SCAMS Mk-X CIWS point defense turrets, as well as six power-coupled hardpoints for your choice of heavy weaponry (sold separately) for cleansing alien scum and nonbelievers. Whether it's the Vanduul, the Killwrathi, the Baadevol, the Pyoob'Looshir or the Goongreefi, your church will be the rock of immersion weathering the storm of dissent.

This ship is a free gift for backers pledging $42,000 or more.

Help us make this the best BDSSE ever!

EDIT: I don't have any art yet, but It should definitely look like a penis

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No Million Line High Club?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You danced with the airplane warlord

And lost

That's not asymmetrical you daft bugger.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

That's not asymmetrical you daft bugger.

You only said one wing :wink:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You only said one wing :wink:

MeLKoR posted:

Can't wait to see one of those dumb asymmetric alien ships doing atmospheric flight.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Toops posted:

All I heard were a handful of mental retards trying to sneak the credit card out of their wives' purses while tugging HARD on their ballsacks.

Quote :

Kurt Maverick 2 days ago
Damnit CiG. I thought it was physically impossible to win at life, and you did it!

Jesus.........

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Amarcarts posted:

I had a new idea for a ship concept:

Something Clearly Awful Ministries "Cathedral" - Church Ship

Dream the Dream. Live the Dream. Preach the Dream. The SCAM Cathedral serves as a beacon of light for spiritually hungry citizens in the vast lonely darkness of space. Jump into a system and spread the word. Deliver sermons for the masses. Provide spiritual counsel to the doubters. Collect donations from the loyal. With hangar space for up to fifty single seat ships, and five docks each fitted with one of our proprietary passenger boarding bridges, you'll have no trouble getting space folks in and getting them out. An advanced, AI-driven network our newest artificial gravity generators keeps your services dignified by limiting ambulation speeds of people on board. And rest assured that you and your flock will be safe from harm, as the Cathedral comes with forty-two SCAMS Mk-X CIWS point defense turrets, as well as six power-coupled hardpoints for your choice of heavy weaponry (sold separately) for cleansing alien scum and nonbelievers. Whether it's the Vanduul, the Killwrathi, the Baadevol, the Pyoob'Looshir or the Goongreefi, your church will be the rock of immersion weathering the storm of dissent.

This ship is a free gift for backers pledging $42,000 or more.

Help us make this the best BDSSE ever!

EDIT: I don't have any art yet, but It should definitely look like a penis

*batteries not included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

No "and", "as well", etc

Assymetrical flying wing is tough, I'll see what I can find.

• Locked thread