Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No "and", "as well", etc

Assymetrical flying wing is tough, I'll see what I can find.

Though that one is only asymmetrical for brief periods of time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

You would think they would have some sort of cybernetic assistance like artificial eyes that would be immune to redout and greyout or even have full-on prosthetic bodies, making their brains highly-resistant to changes in gravity.

Dont waste brain cells on that. The moment you have artificial gravitiy in your sci-fi universe you can forgot about the "sci" part of the word. You also have to accept you will never have a lot of internal cohesion in the universe building since the ammount of energy (remember E= M(C squared)) required to constantly offset (or generate) a gravity well without mass is insane, as in "a hundred time more power than all the engines at max and the weapons constantly firing every seconds" just so that you can stand upright in the cargo bay.

With gravity control you dont need terrorists to get hold of a nuke or anything to destroy a station, all you need is a cargo container with its a-grav set to "repel" and enough lead time for it to reach 0.9c speed, resulting in a an impact worth a hundred thousand missiles. Any space farmer can whip up a civilization destroying weapon with a deck plate and an astrogation module.

Better to accept this is Pacific WW2 with a space skin and go with it. Also from the bug reports and dev notes i read, the Cry engine construct need to be able to find a gravity source somewhere in the zone they are in or else they go crazy, unable to orient themselves on the map since they cant find what way is "up".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

Though that one is only asymmetrical for brief periods of time...

Also not a flying wing

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also not a flying wing

It's difficult to find something closer when it's such a dumb concept in the first place... :)

Even this makes more sense:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

It's difficult to find something closer when it's such a dumb concept in the first place... :)

Even this makes more sense:

Landing something like that would of been all sorts of fun. :derp:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No "and", "as well", etc

Assymetrical flying wing is tough, I'll see what I can find.

An asymmetric ship like the alien one in the game, you know, with one wing? smdh

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

An asymmetric ship like the alien one in the game, you know, with one wing? smdh

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can CIG rip this off or is it too sci fi? http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/convair-49.php

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

A remake of "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" would be cool.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Realistic physics my rear end.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

Every time I look at this ship and think how much money these people made I feel like weeping.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

A literal bird wing

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

no_recall posted:

This game never fails to deliver.

…except for the “game” part.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Cockpit extending forward is always good on a ramming ship.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Two things that strike me as funny regarding the Freelancer cocpit.

1) I think it more or less proves that there is no design guideline regarding these artistic choices as they relate to gameplay. No one has a bible or rule of thumb regarding visibility, universal UI and information access so all choices come down to what looks cool with the model. Ben said as much himself with respect to the Blue having an idiotic bar across the cockpit of the Cutlass Blue at eye level. There's just an arbitrary bar there, which is present because the ship looked cooler with a bar across the viewscreen in screenshots.

2) If Chris was building the Freelancer for a movie he would make the cockpit visibility larger so as to get good footage of the actors sitting inside and to not have the view be a claustrophobic mess if you were getting shots from the interior. If his art team presented him with the Freelancer cockpit for the WC movie as the set from which he would be giving a salute he'd lose his gourd.

How long has the Freelancer been in production now? Three years? Four design iterations? Accompanied by one of the earliest mega discussions on the brown sea regarding poo visibility. It's pretty unreal.

In a better world Roberts would have had the Freelancer ready in time for the stream and would have pulled one to show it off. The only thing that could have made the moment better would be the mic picking up Ben assuring that the fanbase loves the cockpit and everything is fine and perfect and Chris looks great dressed in all black.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A literal bird wing

It's all bollocks, all of it. The realistic thrusters? Bollocks. That damage state thing? Utter bullshit! How are they going to model the impact of damaging that wing when they clearly are not modeling the ship mass distribution in any way, shape or form? They are just faking it like in the good old days, they change a few parameters in the flight model but none of that poo poo is realistically modeled in any way. No wonder the ships fly like they have no mass, they have no mass, not for inertia and acceleration purposes that's for sure.

What a crock of poo poo this all is.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 19, 2015

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MeLKoR posted:

How else could they steal iconic designs from yet another Sci-Fi source appeal to another fanbase though?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chin posted:

An excited cultist in his new Freelancer space truck

That thing, like most modern trucks, has more visibility than the Freelancer.

They probably wanted to go with a modern passenger jet cockpit look but they forgot that those are meant to be flow at night or in lovely weather half the time, so there is nothing to gaze at anyway while a pair of trained professional look at their instruments like hawks and follow the direction of a 3rd party (ATC) with its eyes glued to a radar screen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

Two things that strike me as funny regarding the Freelancer cocpit.

1) I think it more or less proves that there is no design guideline regarding these artistic choices as they relate to gameplay. No one has a bible or rule of thumb regarding visibility, universal UI and information access so all choices come down to what looks cool with the model. Ben said as much himself with respect to the Blue having an idiotic bar across the cockpit of the Cutlass Blue at eye level. There's just an arbitrary bar there, which is present because the ship looked cooler with a bar across the viewscreen in screenshots.

2) If Chris was building the Freelancer for a movie he would make the cockpit visibility larger so as to get good footage of the actors sitting inside and to not have the view be a claustrophobic mess if you were getting shots from the interior. If his art team presented him with the Freelancer cockpit for the WC movie as the set from which he would be giving a salute he'd lose his gourd.

How long has the Freelancer been in production now? Three years? Four design iterations? Accompanied by one of the earliest mega discussions on the brown sea regarding poo visibility. It's pretty unreal.

In a better world Roberts would have had the Freelancer ready in time for the stream and would have pulled one to show it off. The only thing that could have made the moment better would be the mic picking up Ben assuring that the fanbase loves the cockpit and everything is fine and perfect and Chris looks great dressed in all black.

I doubt SC has any visual language guidelines at all. It's all over the place, everywhere.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

Cockpit extending forward is always good on a ramming ship.

Who exactly came up with this concept? I bet it was that moron, only he could look at this and think "I'm such a visionary". There's like a couple of meters between the tip of the blade and the muzzle of the gun for fucks sake. There was zero though put into this poo poo. And why would you create a ship for ramming? Under what circumstance would ramming be a viable strategy and that blade be of any use? If for some retarded reason they had to have a ramming ship why not put a huge spur projecting from under the center of mass?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

There's like a couple of meters between the tip of the blade and the muzzle of the gun for fucks sake.

To be fair, this doesn't matter all that much. See: Bayonets attached to rifles.

Someone should ask people in the subreddit if Star Citizen will have realistic physics, then show the eagle's wing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Who exactly came up with this concept? I bet it was that moron, only he could look at this and think "I'm such a visionary". There's like a couple of meters between the tip of the blade and the muzzle of the gun for fucks sake. There was zero though put into this poo poo. And why would you create a ship for ramming? Under what circumstance would ramming be a viable strategy and that blade be of any use? If for some retarded reason they had to have a ramming ship why not put a huge spur projecting from under the center of mass?

same reason they are selling cargo haulers, science research ships, mining ships, repair ships, news vans: :homebrew:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Excuse me sir! Ramming has been and will always be a viable/honorable strategy. It is what keeps the tears of those spergs flowing.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I think "it looks cool" overrides any logic in ship design for space games in general.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

I think "it looks cool" overrides any logic in ship design for space games in general.

"It looks cool" is great if you aren't also advertising dynamic PG with atmospheres + gravity/physics because your cool ship becomes an asteroid rather quickly.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair, this doesn't matter all that much. See: Bayonets attached to rifles.

Sticking a bayonet in some poor schmuck's belly isn't going to do anything to your bayonet and you just have to clean the gore from the barrel. Two multi ton ships colliding isn't something you are going to pull your blade from for a second stab.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Sticking a bayonet in some poor schmuck's belly isn't going to do anything to your bayonet and you just have to clean the gore from the barrel. Two multi ton ships colliding isn't something you are going to pull your blade from for a second stab.

Except more starship explosions

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

MeLKoR posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It was their Xmas party yesterday.

Surprised not to see Mr and Mrs :lesnick: at an event with free food.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

Oh they are there, but the buffet table was behind the camera.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"It looks cool" is great if you aren't also advertising dynamic PG with atmospheres + gravity/physics because your cool ship becomes an asteroid rather quickly.

Suspension of disbelief! Something we have to do for any sci-fi game/movie out there basically. I don't have any issues with sacrificing realism for gameplay - in fact I'd wish they'd drop a lot of the BS realism and just focused on making something fun.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Money is still with CIG! Nice

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

Suspension of disbelief! Something we have to do for any sci-fi game/movie out there basically. I don't have any issues with sacrificing realism for gameplay - in fact I'd wish they'd drop a lot of the BS realism and just focused on making something fun.

I agree, but we both know Star Citizen isn't going that route.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Only two fedoras? I am disappoint.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

They couldn't fit them in the picture.

e: where's the hobo? can't see him either.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You have to realize that the people playing this game think the "physics" are good and that they have taught themselves "physics" and completely understand it.

In example, the "can't move faster than you can explode" guy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Who exactly came up with this concept? I bet it was that moron, only he could look at this and think "I'm such a visionary".
Two words: space bulldozer.

Iglocska posted:

B-wing looks neither cool nor functional.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

You have to realize that the people playing this game think the "physics" are good and that they have taught themselves "physics" and completely understand it.

In example, the "can't move faster than you can explode" guy.

they think physics are based around star Citizen, so if anything, its reality that isn't accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

EminusSleepus posted:

Money is still with CIG! Nice

He has the class and style that Sandi so desperately craves:

• Locked thread