Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
that last one might actually be the most technically proficient thing AdzAdama has ever made in Photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I like to imagine that St. Christ of Roberts is going to see Star Wars this weekend only to run back to his backer-bought mansion, do 200 lines of coke off the asses off six overpriced whores, and then rewrite the entire script for his mo-cap movie because he saw something done by a competent filmmaker and got sad.

Then Sandi will fire someone (while she is on vacation in Tahiti or something) for being unshaven. And that is Star Citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

His is probably better since it maintains the sight line and left-to-right movement and has snappier editing. Oh well.

Yours is good and you are good. Keep being good and cool!

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jar Jar Abrams ruins everything he touches

I've corrected your statement.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

They couldn't fit them in the picture.

e: where's the hobo? can't see him either.

They must both be shitlisted after the live stream fiasco, and fat wife didn't attend in solidarity.

Thai or is wasn't held at ground level.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I didn't ask for this

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:five:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Tippis posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of…

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

This guy has it all figured out, he'll be doing the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs to get to the injured on time while his wife plays Florence Nightingale in the back. He's predicting such a great demand for their services that he's gonna get one of the big ones. I'm certain that pretty soon he'll need to hire extra nurses for his hospital ship.

He should team up with the news crew guys, they could tip him off to the best hunting grounds.

This is the ultimate in dumb... why have specialized ships when any ship can do search and rescue... or slap a camera on its nose... or ohmygoshthisisjustembarrassingnow

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

That thing, like most modern trucks, has more visibility than the Freelancer.

They probably wanted to go with a modern passenger jet cockpit look but they forgot that those are meant to be flow at night or in lovely weather half the time, so there is nothing to gaze at anyway while a pair of trained professional look at their instruments like hawks and follow the direction of a 3rd party (ATC) with its eyes glued to a radar screen.

That's actually not true. The window looks narrow, but we also don't sit like four feet back from it. See and avoid is still the name of the game below 18,000 and in visual meteorological conditions.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Some cultists may not be happy today. Then again isn't that everyday?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
why, what's happening today.

I mean, 2.1 seems like a dud, but what else.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
im gonna rp a scrappy, young news reporter who finds xirself admist a secret society of rule breaks who run everywhere

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

This is the ultimate in dumb... why have specialized ships when any ship can do search and rescue... or slap a camera on its nose... or ohmygoshthisisjustembarrassingnow

Are you familiar with embarrassing Internet chat roleplay?

That's basically what it is. Except with people paying real money to live out in their head the fantasy of maybe being a brave space paramedic or space newscaster.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Some cultists may not be happy today. Then again isn't that everyday?

The cultists are happy everyday. It's inherent in the cult membership. After all, every day is Chris proving everyone wrong. Somehow.

Dirty Hairy posted:

That's actually not true. The window looks narrow, but we also don't sit like four feet back from it. See and avoid is still the name of the game below 18,000 and in visual meteorological conditions.

Even so, it's a visibility window that's more designed for spotting things miles away while flying 200+ m/s, not for 180×180° visibility to track stuff that's maybe half a km away while (somehow) pulling 9g pursuit turns at half that speed. And again, there's always that consideration of where they get the design ideas from — without any neat cinematic reference, all they have to go on is the brief peek they get when boarding a commercial aircraft. So of course the view will end up being far more constricted than it actually is.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Star citizen reminds me of one of those people who buys tons of supplements and every piece of workout gear imaginable but never actually goes to the gym but still posts inspirational quotes about exercise on their facebook and gives advice online and maybe loses three pounds and never shuts the gently caress up about it because ~imagine what i will achieve by this time next year~

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Zorgon Peterson Adder, 31.5 meters long, 2 utility mounts, 2x small hardpoints, 1x medium hardpoint, configurable for up to 26 tons of cargo

It's a much closer match. Also, it was a straight upgrade to the Hauler in every way and was decent enough at combat and exploration in addition to being a better hauler. Sounds a lot like the Freelancer.

The thing about Elite is that ships are so flexible there's a ton of overlap, which I consider a good thing. If you have an Asp and want to switch from hauling to exploration you can do so with a minimum of hassle by swapping out modules. With the Freelancer you need to buy an entirely new ship.

I also think it's funny how Elite doesn't waste time with physics approximations that accurately model thrusters, yet their ships are clearly designed with an eye towards realism. Meanwhile CIG seems to want Hollywood styling and real physics, leading to the worst of both worlds.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

The cultists are happy everyday. It's inherent in the cult membership. After all, every day is Chris proving everyone wrong. Somehow.

Even so, it's a visibility window that's more designed for spotting things miles away while flying 200+ m/s, not for 180×180° visibility to track stuff that's maybe half a km away while (somehow) pulling 9g pursuit turns at half that speed. And again, there's always that consideration of where they get the design ideas from — without any neat cinematic reference, all they have to go on is the brief peek they get when boarding a commercial aircraft. So of course the view will end up being far more constricted than it actually is.

Yeah, they've figured out what the view from the jump seat looks like.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

[Discuss] I like the way in SC you travel to something verses in ED you travel through nothing.

quote:

Exactly what I feel too.. Too much of "realism" in E:D is what makes its huge initial learning curve and also how it starts feeling tedious after a while. E:D lovers, please don't take my opinion in the wrong way. Its just that I feel they could have sacrificed a "little" bit of "realism/simulation" for the sake of more interesting gameplay mechanics. After all it is still a "game" :)

*takes 20 seconds to get up from a bed*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

It plays properly when not viewed in a browser

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It plays properly when not viewed in a browser

:golfclap:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
So did 2.1 have the promised "ability to play with friends" feature added or is that still a pipe dream?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The thing about Elite is that ships are so flexible there's a ton of overlap, which I consider a good thing. If you have an Asp and want to switch from hauling to exploration you can do so with a minimum of hassle by swapping out modules. With the Freelancer you need to buy an entirely new ship.

I also think it's funny how Elite doesn't waste time with physics approximations that accurately model thrusters, yet their ships are clearly designed with an eye towards realism. Meanwhile CIG seems to want Hollywood styling and real physics, leading to the worst of both worlds.
How is the thruster arrangement on this ship supposed to work with such an asymmetrical center of mass?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

xanif posted:

So did 2.1 have the promised "ability to play with friends" feature added or is that still a pipe dream?

You can absolutely play with friends*

* Just as long as you don't try to do it in-game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Derek what are you getting your kids for christmas

please don't give them rich kid poo poo, they will turn assholey

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, the multipurpose ships of Elite feel that way, Vipers still suck if you want to do trading and Type 7s suck if you want to fight which is fine, I expect some ships to be similar in SC (such as the Avenger and the Constellation).

Elite is much more realistic in many ways, but in the fun-factor department it has failed horribly imho. I am now just waiting for them to release some actual content at which point I hope that my ship is still relevant and I'll get back to it, but I wouldn't use it as a perfect example on how it should be done.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

How is the thruster arrangement on this ship supposed to work with such an asymmetrical center of mass?

Half the thrusters are always idling, whilst the other half perform one of these.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

why, what's happening today.

I mean, 2.1 seems like a dud, but what else.

Shiticizens are trying to come to grips with the fact that, after the procedural generated planets #FAIL, they're still the laughing stock of the gaming community since they're being shafted in broad daylight and in glorious UHD

...then there's this: http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/12/19/the-star-citizen-community-is-souring-the-game/

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Iglocska posted:

Elite is much more realistic in many ways, but in the fun-factor department it has failed horribly imho. I am now just waiting for them to release some actual content at which point I hope that my ship is still relevant and I'll get back to it, but I wouldn't use it as a perfect example on how it should be done.

Well, at least the salient point is that it is an example -- as opposed to vapor. I don't think(?) anyone has spent thousands of dollars on ships in E:D, which is another mark in its favor.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 19, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jon Do posted:

Well, at least the salient point is that it is an example -- as opposed to vapor. I don't think(?) anyone has spent thousands of dollars on ships in E:D, which is another mark in its favor.

Of course. But out of curiosity, do you enjoy Elite Dangerous? If so what do you actually do in the game? Teach me!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Derek what are you getting your kids for christmas

please don't give them rich kid poo poo, they will turn assholey

No clue. Usually my daughter just gives me a shopping list. Which I faithfully hand to my wife. Who proceeds to go overboard. My wallet decides to commit Hari Kari this time of year. Especially since her birthday is the same month as Christmas.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

No clue. Usually my daughter just gives me a shopping list. Which I faithfully hand to my wife. Who proceeds to go overboard. My wallet decides to commit Hari Kari this time of year. Especially since her birthday is the same month as Christmas.

Buy them some star citizen ships, by the time they're old enough to play it, the game might be out!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Iglocska posted:

Of course. But out of curiosity, do you enjoy Elite Dangerous? If so what do you actually do in the game?

Nah, it looks boring, so I didn't get it. But at least I wouldn't feel ripped off if I had bought it. Just underwhelmed.

e:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

D_Smart posted:

Shiticizens are trying to come to grips with the fact that, after the procedural generated planets #FAIL, they're still the laughing stock of the gaming community since they're being shafted in broad daylight and in glorious UHD

...then there's this: http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/12/19/the-star-citizen-community-is-souring-the-game/

We aim to please shitizens all over the 'verse.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

We aim to please shitizens all over the 'verse.

be sure to post the best of the best hatemail itt.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"swanky airplane office furniture"
Nice. The investigations are not unnoticed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3kgt06/sometimes_i_feel_the_moderation_on_rsi_is/cuxneuk

:eyepop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

It's just too painful to read

but great to know he hates all shitizens too

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
caterpillar looks like a fat barrel of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2zl8ouibg

good goddamn that's ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's just too painful to read

but great to know he hates all shitizens too
With such sterling community management, it's no wonder the community is so toxic.

• Locked thread