Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah I just had Youtube Center disabled and damned if I can visit youtube without it.

To add to what astral said, open about :config and set "xpinstall.signatures.required" to false.

Firefox does say doing this is all at your own risk, as it leaves you open to malware from dodgy add-ons.

The firefox Dev userscript/greasemonkey script is working again if you don't want to turn off signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Speaking of about :config fuckery, just in case anyone else has this problem, I had to set media.fragmented-mp4.enabled and media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled back to true to prevent FF 43 on Linux from crashing every time it tried to play an MP4. I'd toggled them to false manually a while back to get HTML5 on Youtube working before it was officially supported, so no one to blame but myself on this one, but I learned that trick from this thread months ago so maybe I can save someone else some troubleshooting.

Marinmo posted:

So in sum, where the few differences between browsers will lay in the future is basically speed and features/ease of use and perhaps partially extensions (at least until Firefox caught up with WebExt), and I honestly don't see Firefox winning any of them convincingly now or in the future. Speed perhaps, but I'm not so sure it translates into a real world gain as much as say having a big extension library enhances the user experience. Previous experience tells me Mozilla will probably find a way to squander whatever advantages they might have too, but I'm hopeful they've learnt something from losing roughly half of their market share over the last few years and turn the ship around. I'll believe it when I see it though.
When they switch to WebExt I really see a lot of the hardcore users moving over to whatever fork will inevitably appear to keep old extensions working, and if enough people do that then I don't see the extension writers redoing everything from scratch for the new API, which will lead more people to switch to the fork, and so on. I really think this could be the cause of another Firefox rising from Netscape's ashes situation.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone else hates the "search for blah on Google" in the awesome bar, about :config and set browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false. God help me if I ever somehow end up with a vanilla install of Firefox again because it feels like I've had to make about 20+ tweaks just to remove all of the annoying poo poo they've added over the years.

I wondered why my search suggestions broke completely with firefox 43. Seems this was the culprit, disabling the unifiedcomplete whatever fixed the issue. It was really stupid to type complete urls just like in the 90's.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Knormal posted:

When they switch to WebExt I really see a lot of the hardcore users moving over to whatever fork will inevitably appear to keep old extensions working, and if enough people do that then I don't see the extension writers redoing everything from scratch for the new API, which will lead more people to switch to the fork, and so on. I really think this could be the cause of another Firefox rising from Netscape's ashes situation.
That's also kinda my point: by now, who else but hardcore/power users are still using Firefox? For anecdotal evidence, most of my friends are "regular" users and not a single one of them uses Firefox any more. Hell, even I have switched by now (although I do miss the awesomebar - the one thing Mozilla got right and didn't gently caress up, yet) to Vivaldi (which is basically Chrome anyway). By going for WebExtensions and the removal of XUL - I understand especially the latter was considered necessary with the move to e10s - it seems to me that Mozilla is effectively alienating its last stronghold in the user base. What's the point of creating an alternative browser if all you're going to do is try to be like Chrome anyway? Hopefully the fork happens like you say, because at this point the purpose of Firefox to me is less and less clear.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SystemLogoff posted:

The firefox Dev userscript/greasemonkey script is working again if you don't want to turn off signing.

Done. Thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Knormal posted:

This can only be a good thing. As everyone else has said, we don't need Chrome 2: Chrome But Worser Edition.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Chrome 2: Electric Googleoo?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SystemLogoff posted:

I've had to turn off signing for Gmelius and Youtube Center, but wouldn't mind keeping it on - got a link to this? Having trouble tracking it down.

Is it sorta like the old Nightly Tester Tools where you can selectively enable addons despite their unsigned status, etc?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
What is the recommended extension for downloading 1080p Youtube video (VDH has the stupid watermark unless you fork over cash) or is this no longer possible given the audio/video components are now seperate?

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 22, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Haeleus posted:

What is the recommended extension for downloading 1080p Youtube video (VDH has the stupid watermark unless you fork over cash) or is this no longer possible given the audio/video components are now seperate?

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great for this. Although you'll have to specifically tell it to grab 1080p video as that is disabled by default, I think.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Buff Skeleton posted:

I've had to turn off signing for Gmelius and Youtube Center, but wouldn't mind keeping it on - got a link to this? Having trouble tracking it down.

Is it sorta like the old Nightly Tester Tools where you can selectively enable addons despite their unsigned status, etc?

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Install newest greasemoney for firefox, install the userscript and you're good to go.

I think it may be able to grab 1080p videos as well.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Marinmo posted:

That's also kinda my point: by now, who else but hardcore/power users are still using Firefox? For anecdotal evidence, most of my friends are "regular" users and not a single one of them uses Firefox any more. Hell, even I have switched by now (although I do miss the awesomebar - the one thing Mozilla got right and didn't gently caress up, yet) to Vivaldi (which is basically Chrome anyway). By going for WebExtensions and the removal of XUL - I understand especially the latter was considered necessary with the move to e10s - it seems to me that Mozilla is effectively alienating its last stronghold in the user base. What's the point of creating an alternative browser if all you're going to do is try to be like Chrome anyway? Hopefully the fork happens like you say, because at this point the purpose of Firefox to me is less and less clear.

I have my partner using it, but only because she likes having browser sync and her Chrome account is hosed with some malware that even after cleaning. I have literally gone onto a brand new from the shop machine, signed into gmail as her, then logged onto Facebook and started getting "you have won a free iPhone" popups on every link.

Were it not for that, I'd put Chrome back on so I don't have to deal with the complaints when she can't get things to work.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Lum posted:

I have my partner using it, but only because she likes having browser sync and her Chrome account is hosed with some malware that even after cleaning. I have literally gone onto a brand new from the shop machine, signed into gmail as her, then logged onto Facebook and started getting "you have won a free iPhone" popups on every link.

Were it not for that, I'd put Chrome back on so I don't have to deal with the complaints when she can't get things to work.

Oh, you need to clear out her chrome sync'd extensions if you have not already.

from a bbs posted:

From your "Manage extensions" page (chrome://settings/extensions), click on "Visit website" for the extension you want to remove definitively.
You will see four tabs for this extension: Overview, Details, Reviews & Related. And on the right of these, you can see a recycle bin icon
Click recycle bin icon (pop up says Remove from Chrome).

This will delete your installed extension as well as removing it from your account...

Then you need to do a browser refresh and that should hopefully kill the lingering problems.

Edit: Wait, this isn't the chrome thread, oops.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Assuming parity with favoured general-browsing extensions (uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Ghostery), in terms of what Firefox offers me that other browsers do not (so far as I am aware), there is one thing on the list; a persistent bookmarks side-panel. For example, neither Chrome, nor any extension for it I've seen, offer anything close enough to, or as usable as, what FF offers on that front, and that is what keeps me using FF.

For home browsing, anyway. For work, I switched to Chrome earlier on in the year (dev-focused app stuff, and collaboration tools that were in use by other colleagues).

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 22, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

AwesomeBar is the number one reason I still use Firefox. Number two reason is mostly that I've been using this browser for eleven years so I know the ins and outs really well and I'm too lazy to spend a couple days learning a new one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's Not Chrome™ is the main reason for me. Whenever I have to use Chrome, I get annoyed with it really fast and actually prefer IE over it. I haven't given Edge a try yet, since I haven't dipped my toes in Windows 10 yet.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Re: Why use Firefox.

Apart from addons, I can gently caress around with the UI waaaaaaay more than Chrome allows me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Read posted:

Apart from addons, I can gently caress around with the UI waaaaaaay more than Chrome allows me.

This. I have buttons on the left (except for hamburger) and more importantly can un-close tabs by middle clicking the tab bar or new tab button. That feature will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

Edit: for mobile, I just plain like Firefox more than chrome.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Pikestaff posted:

AwesomeBar is the number one reason I still use Firefox. Number two reason is mostly that I've been using this browser for eleven years so I know the ins and outs really well and I'm too lazy to spend a couple days learning a new one.

The lack of Tab Mix Plus on Chrome is the big reason I still use Firefox. That and Googles inconsistent behavior in software development and product support.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

The lack of Tab Mix Plus on Chrome is the big reason I still use Firefox. That and Googles inconsistent behavior in software development and product support.

I feel you. I'd probably switch over if Chrome had Tab Mix Plus/Tab Utilities and Session Manager. All of Chrome's equivalent are seriously lacking. FireFox also handles an assload of tabs better than Chrome, so that's another point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What brought me back to Firefox ~8 months ago was Chrome's crappy bookmark menu (or lack thereof, really). I just want my bookmarks in a menu; I don't need some stupid toolbar. I'd looked for an extension for Chrome to emulate Firefox's bookmarks menu, but couldn't find one that didn't require shady permissions that the Chrome thread didn't explain.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My only complaint with Firefox after being back to it for a few weeks is that it doesn't have Chrome's ability to start typing a site URL and hit tab to search it. I hate having the little side search box where you have to specify what site you want to search and it feels really outdated. I don't think I like the desktop version at all, but I want to have my devices sync up.

Still worth it to have ad blocking on my phone browser of course.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Meldonox posted:

My only complaint with Firefox after being back to it for a few weeks is that it doesn't have Chrome's ability to start typing a site URL and hit tab to search it. I hate having the little side search box where you have to specify what site you want to search and it feels really outdated. I don't think I like the desktop version at all, but I want to have my devices sync up.

Still worth it to have ad blocking on my phone browser of course.

I had this gripe too, but quickly got used to one-letter website keywords. So, I have a Wikipedia search shortcut mapped to "w", so I just do "w interesting thing" and it searches Wikipedia automatically.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I need to get those set up again. I used to do that when I originally used Firefox and it was one of the bigger changes switching to Chrome years ago. It just feels obsolete to have to set things up manually. Did they ever streamline the process? When I first set them up it felt like it was a hidden feature. I'd imagine once that's done I'll be happy as a clam with Firefox again. In fact, once they're set up, can I hide the search box?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's a little weird to set up. I have a bookmarks folder called "Searching", and for example the YouTube one has a location of https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%s and a keyword of y. And yes, you can get rid of the search bar once you set these up.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You can right-click a search box and select "Add a Keyword for This Search" to do it pretty quick and easy. Doesn't work with all of them, but I just tested Wikipedia and it handles that fine.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Read posted:

And my point was that once they remove XUL - which is as soon as you'd want decent e10s support as far as I understand - that's gone. At least until all extension developers rewrite their extensions in WebExtensions, at which point you might as well be using Chrome? That said, no one knows how much WebExts will allow for controlling the UI, but given the direction Mozilla has taken Firefox in general so far (and that WebExts aims to be similar Chrome's API), it wouldn't be a big surprise to see customization options being way more limited. Time will tell I guess, one can only hope.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Live Bookmarks are why I don't use Chrome. They have become such a huge part of my browsing habits by now and I haven't found anything on Chrome that matches the ease of use.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Im_Special posted:

Removes the HTML fullscreen warning.

full-screen-api.warning.timeout "3000"; set to "0"

This will change the fade transition to fullscreen (Default is 200 200), 0 0 will remove the animations altogether.

full-screen-api.transition-duration.enter 50 0
full-screen-api.transition-duration.leave 0 50

Thank you for this.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Marinmo posted:

And my point was that once they remove XUL - which is as soon as you'd want decent e10s support as far as I understand - that's gone. At least until all extension developers rewrite their extensions in WebExtensions, at which point you might as well be using Chrome? That said, no one knows how much WebExts will allow for controlling the UI, but given the direction Mozilla has taken Firefox in general so far (and that WebExts aims to be similar Chrome's API), it wouldn't be a big surprise to see customization options being way more limited. Time will tell I guess, one can only hope.

Oh okay, I misunderstood what XUL was. I get you now.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SystemLogoff posted:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Install newest greasemoney for firefox, install the userscript and you're good to go.

I think it may be able to grab 1080p videos as well.

Oh derr, this was about Youtube Center, not something else which allows you to selectively bypass addon signing :downs: Thanks!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So if anyone is wondering why the mute tab button isn't working on some tabs anymore it's apparently an issue on Adobe's end with the latest version of Flash.

Twitch streams are a lot more annoying to manage without it, hope they fix this soon. Or better, Twitch finally transitions out of Flash completely.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey all, I need to find an alternative to this so that I can make PDFs of spec sheets from my company's internal wiki. Any ideas? I tried a couple other add-ons but none would allow me to do it to a local page.

e: resolved. Found the old add-on living on some German website and messed with my Firefox config to allow it without a signature.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Blue Footed Booby posted:

more importantly can un-close tabs by middle clicking the tab bar or new tab button. That feature will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

ctrl (CMD on a Mac) + shift + T in Chrome

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

pairofdimes posted:

I enabled it following the instructions here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3wxkqh/today_i_moved_back_to_firefox_use_64_bit_async/

It seems to be working fine for me on FF43, but I also only have 4 add-ons and they aren't unusual ones. You can see add-on support here:
http://arewee10syet.com/

I flipped these settings and things are in fact screaming. At least for release channel 64bit on Windows 10. I'll try it later on my MBA running Developer Edition

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I think I got e10s working? SALR is broken though, might just rollback to regular 64bit.

But hot daaaaaaamn is the scrolling smooth or what.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
timg tags seemed to be dead for me on SA for a bit, but it turned out uBlock Origin and Tracking Protection were tag-teaming them,

It also made me realise how much I love modern browsers' F12 dev tools.

Hargrimm posted:

You can right-click a search box and select "Add a Keyword for This Search" to do it pretty quick and easy. Doesn't work with all of them, but I just tested Wikipedia and it handles that fine.

Keyword searching is incredible and it's become second nature for me to set one up for any site I can see myself using more than a couple of times. That's one of my major reasons not to switch to Chrome.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

Keyword searching is incredible and it's become second nature for me to set one up for any site I can see myself using more than a couple of times. That's one of my major reasons not to switch to Chrome.
It exists in Chrome as well, and has for a very long time.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Did that e10s enabling thing. Installed the beta version of e10s lastpass as it seems to be the only addon I have that's broken in a way I can't deal with.

Soo nice. It's even not totally lovely on my GF's BayTrail tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Don't use layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled
It causes more problems than it solves with websites freaking out. Also SALR will work again.