Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

neonbregna posted:

Not reading through 400 plus posts to find the next competitor in the Benjamin G. Lesnick Inagaural Memorial Triathlon challenge so pm me or quote this post to enter before 12/23/2015 for your chance to win 10 steam bux

Edit Verus was a weak bitch idiot near

I am tempted. Am I allowed a pinch-hitter if I die in the process, or must the unfinished portions remain forever and take over my lease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

BigglesSWE posted:

Space garbage truck, is that a thing yet?

Wasn't there a guy on the SC forums that was going to use his starfarer as a septic tank trunk or something?

That guy's going places.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Oooh. Viscera Cleanup Detail tie-in. Think of the money CIG could make on this unique idea that no-one has had before.

After CIG crashes and burns, I'm going to buy a copy of their customer database during the ensuing firesale auction, then I'll start a Viscera Cleanup business in real life, cleaning up after all the cultist suicides.

[img]explodingwhale.gif[/img]

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

dota 2 has almost a 1 million people playing at peak, star citizen has a million accounts. this obviously makes them the same size :psyduck:

But, ummmm, you can actually PLAY dota 2...

:gary: PAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRPPPP! :yarg:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Space whaler ship! I know no one has done that joke by now!

Call Me Spacemael!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Derek Smart has already begun charging his lawsuit energy into a Spirit Blog Bomb

We must lend him our power :ssj:

I will not stand behind you, but I will stand besides you. In battle!

FOR JUSTICE! FOR SMART! :black101:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tippis posted:

Oooh. Viscera Cleanup Detail tie-in. Think of the money CIG could make on this unique idea that no-one has had before.

When a little bleach won't cut it... posted:

At first, I was just going to look around the community for an artist to draw an ad for this product. But the more I thought about it, the more it sort of spiraled out into a possibly workable product in-game.

Imagine it...

The latest Vanduul raid is over and yours is one of the few ships with a medical bay available to heed the call. The fighting is done, the enemy routed or dead, and the inside of your ship looks like someone tried to dissect a cow with a claymore mine.

How are you going to clean all this up? You either make the rookie do it, or...

Steri-Foam Pak® - The power to completely sterilize an entire room in the palm of your hand!

The idea came to mind when I imagined one of those microwave steam cleaner packets and the compressed cubes of dish washing powder (with the little "activator ball"). Basically, it's a block of varying sizes (depending upon the volume of the area to be sterilized) with either a small, gelatinous 'button' on one side the you push to trigger the catalyst, or an activator panel which can be programmed for delayed activation, synchronized activation, etc.

For the medical bay of a Cutlass, for example, it would be a brick the size a Rubic's Cube. You mash the 'button', popping it and releasing the activator catalyst into the core of the cube. You toss the cube into the bay, seal the hatch, and the foam will expand into every nook and cranny, dissolving any organic mass.

The bricks come in various sizes, depending upon the size of the area to be cleaned, but they can range from a cube the size of a standard, 6-sided die (for small containers) to blocks the size of cars (for sterilizing entire trauma wards or catastrophe zones where salvaging bodies is not a concern). For anything larger than that, packs can be placed in an array and activated in series to overlap one another.

There are two variants of the product:

Steri-Foam Atmo-Pak®
Steri-Foam Vacu-Pak®

As one might expect, the first is for use in an atmosphere and the latter is for use in space.

Two reports of significant note in the Advocacy archives:

1) Missing persons report. After significant investigation, no sign of the missing individual was located. Circumstantial evidence indicated that a criminal organization may have disposed of the remains through either repeated exposure to a catalyzed biomass solvent agent like Steri-Foam, or a concentrated exposure of a massive amount in a very small space.

2) Frivolous lawsuit filed against the makers of Steri-Foam by one Beret Millamoux who claimed that the company should pay him restitution for the destruction of the interior of his 890 Jump (including a 700 year-old bottle of wine rumored to be of equal cost to the ship itself which was destroyed when the Steri-Foam dissolved the cork). When he exclaimed “How was I supposed to know it would denaturate any organics it contacted?” the corporation legal representative pointed to the warning on the packaging which states exactly that. The case was summarily dismissed.

The downside of this is that it has the potential to be a griefing tool, especially with regard to the "Death Of A Spaceman" mechanic. Someone could have a brand new character, get grabbed by someone trying to cause trouble, tossed into a container with a Steri-Foam cube, and get completely dissolved with no chance of waking up with a new, prosthetic limb or something.

I think the solution to this is that only registered medical personnel, certified to work with such substances can purchase it in substantial quantities. Anyone can acquire the 3cm³ – 20cm³ blocks which will sterilize anything from a small Stor-All container to the cargo hold of an RSI Constellation.

These smaller cubes do not contain enough reactive mass to dissolve an entire body, but they're more than adequate to clean up a room full of pools and smears. (Anyone who has worked in the medical field will know what a huge mess a little bit of blood can make)

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
As much as I rip on Ben for being a loving fat loving gently caress piece of poo poo, I do kind of feel bad for him.

Just look at him. The only thing stopping the dude from putting a bullet through his head is the fact that his index finger won't fit into a trigger guard, California gun laws, and the price of .45 hollowpoints. Dude would have mad respect if he just told CIG to gently caress off, got all swole in 1-2 years, and rebuilt his life doing loving anything besides working for Crobber who just gets fatter and more narcissistic as time passes.

Poor Ben probably only has Star Citizen and the fantasy of being the ultimate space captain to escape from reality. He's all in on a broken dream because that's all that is left for him and he has no other avenues to explore to unfuck his life.

The dude needs help...

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only reason anyone could want to buy the News Van ship is because they've already laid down $30,000 or whatever and have to complete the set.

But I want to know about that one guy, who I'm only assuming exists, who has paid for only the News Van ship and that's his only ride, and that's all he wants to ride. I know you're out there you weirdo. Please get an account and explain yourself.

Look man I just want to be geraldo rivera in space.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay, Chargeback 101. Here is an example of a credit card dispute form. Yours will be different based on your bank.

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/NFCU_628.pdf

Fill out the obvious stuff. On the second page you'll see a checkbox for "non-receipt of merchandise or services". Fill out that section. The expected date of service would be November 2014 unless you purchased in the last year (you dumb gently caress). In that case your expected delivery date is "Fall 2015" since that's when SQ42 was supposed to be released according to Chris's BAFTA slides. Here's how I would fill it out assuming I made a purchase in the early days of SC:

Expected Date of Service: November 2014
Description of merchandise: Star Citizen and Squadron 42 Computer Game
Describe your attempts to resolve: Contacted customer service via e-mail after others in similar situation had received refund.
Merchants response: Denied refund.

In section C I would put something below:

quote:

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are computer games that I paid ($X) for on (Date). The games were in a preliminary state of development at the time. When originally purchased the product had an expected delivery date of November 2014. Since then the product has been delayed numerous times and after waiting over a year for delivery I attempted to contact the company and request a refund. After waiting (X) months for a response my request for a refund was denied. During this time several other individuals in situations identical to mine received refunds and there is at least one example of the company providing a refund to someone who did not even request it. By the company's own admission the nature of the game has dramatically changed. What they say they will now provide me is not what I paid for.

I have exhausted all reasonable means to resolve this issue with Cloud Imperium Games directly. I have waited over a year past the expected release date, been forced to endure unacceptably long delays to even talk to a customer service representative, and then ultimately been denied a refund even those others in my situation were refunded. At this point the company refuses to provide an updated release date and the product is delayed indefinitely.

If you purchased after November 2014 then you'll want to alter the above language and emphasize that on October 10, 2015 CIG said that the game would be delayed at least a year for a partial delivery (SQ42) with a full delivery delayed indefinitely. Your own bank may use a different form or method.

Other resources:

Capital One: https://www.capitalone.com/contact/credit-cards/dispute-charge/process/
Various Companies Chargeback Policy: http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chargeback-policy-report/

Fundamentally what we're dealing with here is completely unknown territory since this is crowdfudning. Credit card companies like you and want to keep your business. Keep records of everything, your credit card company may want copies. This is particularly important with respect to communication between you and CIG. There is a chance that the company may deny the chargeback on the grounds of the TOS; point out that you have records of other individuals getting full refunds, that the chairman of the company is on record saying people have been refunded and that CIG does not have a refund policy specified anywhere on their website.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay, Chargeback 101. Here is an example of a credit card dispute form. Yours will be different based on your bank.

Fill out the obvious stuff. On the second page you'll see a checkbox for "non-receipt of merchandise or services". Fill out that section. The expected date of service would be November 2014 unless you purchased in the last year (you dumb gently caress). In that case your expected delivery date is "Fall 2015" since that's when SQ42 was supposed to be released according to Chris's BAFTA slides. Here's how I would fill it out assuming I made a purchase in the early days of SC:

Describe your attempts to resolve: Contacted customer service via e-mail after others in similar situation had received refund.

If you purchased after November 2014 then you'll want to alter the above language and emphasize that on October 10, 2015 CIG said that the game would be delayed at least a year for a partial delivery (SQ42) with a full delivery delayed indefinitely. Your own bank may use a different form or method.

Other resources:

Capital One: https://www.capitalone.com/contact/credit-cards/dispute-charge/process/
Various Companies Chargeback Policy: http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chargeback-policy-report/

Fundamentally what we're dealing with here is completely unknown territory since this is crowdfudning. Credit card companies like you and want to keep your business. Keep records of everything, your credit card company may want copies. This is particularly important with respect to communication between you and CIG. There is a chance that the company may deny the chargeback on the grounds of the TOS; point out that you have records of other individuals getting full refunds, that the chairman of the company is on record saying people have been refunded and that CIG does not have a refund policy specified anywhere on their website.

If you do this cig will definitely lose the chargeback case and the money will be taken from their account automatically and refunded to you. There's noting they can do if they lose the case.

In order to win they have to prove that they delivered a complete product on time, which they haven't by their own admission. You can also quote my Chris roberts himself where he says they will no longer give any release dates. Lol.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I've wrapped fully around on my opinionated stance.

These cats that got themselves in 4 or 5 figures of debt....and also did not win it all back on the grey market, or get a refund, or anything? Just operate on pure belief and faith? they got taken like the suckers they were. case closed.

the unlikely scenario where we see actual, meaningful, legal interaction on their behalf... still hasn't materialized. No justice for whales, eh? Can't say I care.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 20, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm in for 55k and I refuse to get refunded because Chris Roberts is making the game he wants to play. He just doesn't because it's a buggy piece of poo poo.

gently caress this chat interface. It's next on his list to replace right after he redoes the ships.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Other resources:

this needs to be in the OP

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Even better. The longer the delay in responding the better it looks from the perspective of the bank.
That would work- but as we know (because she told us)- Sandi NEVER takes vacations or time off. She will get the chargeback notification from the credit card company and protest the claim immediately, because as we also know (because she also told us), they've delivered a big part of the game with 2.0.

I'm sorry, charge backers- you're not just dealing with any woman; you're dealing with ten. And they're all incredibly talented. We know this, too- because she told us.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Eonwe posted:

its going to be awesome when Ben gets fired by his idol

hopefully it will bring about a bit of self awareness, but probably not

that's a lot of self to become aware of all at once

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"I'm a drunk concierge backer: Ask Me Anything!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only reason anyone could want to buy the News Van ship is because they've already laid down $30,000 or whatever and have to complete the set.

But I want to know about that one guy, who I'm only assuming exists, who has paid for only the News Van ship and that's his only ride, and that's all he wants to ride. I know you're out there you weirdo. Please get an account and explain yourself.

Mkay, this is all part of a plan, mind you.

I get the news van, and I fly around getting the HOTTEST new stories. I make lots of moonbux and launch a regular news show on YouTube. The amazingly sexy Sandi falls in love with me, we have a week long shaving orgy, at the end of which Crobberts gets mad and cancels my account and permabans me since Sandi knows what it is like to have a real man and she leaves him and the spawn to run off with me and live in razor-driven bliss.

When I get banned, I launch a weaponized DSmart legal team at him and vaporize him and CIG's management team and become hugely rich. At this point, I really what a greedy and superficial bitch Sandi REALLY is and I spend some of the prize money with white slavers to have her shipped off as a love slave to a leper colony. As she looks up at me with beseeching eyes, begging me not to have her carried off, I look down, smile, and PAAAAAAAAAAAARP! while wearing a custom :gary: mask that doesn't fit quite right.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 20, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Cig that's my idea plz payment 100,000 dollars cause I know you'll make thay five times over when you sell a limited quantity of 5,000 space food trucks

Ummm, idea guy, did you put it in the wiki? If not, no go.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The MISC Observer: A fully-cloaked one man ship that can spy on anything at any time anywhere. Never again will you have to worry about being shot or griefed. In true MISC comfort and style, you'll be available to look at the wild universe of Star Citizen and be fully cloaked while doing it. MISC's cloaking generator is so advanced that being discovered is impossible.

For the measly sum of $800 (new monies only), you'll be able to:
1. Fly in peace
2. Observe things, in peace
3. Record current events in similar fashion to the News Van, but in peace!
4. Ignore every other player so that you can play in peace

And stay tuned for the MISC Titanis Observer variant which will be outfitted with the most powerful shields and sturdiest hull, allowing you to go anywhere and never worry about dying.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The MISC Observer: A fully-cloaked one man ship that can spy on anything at any time anywhere. Never again will you have to worry about being shot or griefed. In true MISC comfort and style, you'll be available to look at the wild universe of Star Citizen and be fully cloaked while doing it. MISC's cloaking generator is so advanced that being discovered is impossible.

1. Fly in peace

And stay tuned for the MISC Titanis Observer variant which will be outfitted with the most powerful shields and sturdiest hull, allowing you to go anywhere and never worry about dying.

You drastically underpriced it. Add a zero on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HapiMerchant posted:

You drastically underpriced it. Add a zero on.

No no no, you see its my new business model.

The first 300 are $800
The next 150 are $900
Then 150 at $1000
Finally, double the cost for every 50 afterwards - sold twice a year during the summer and winter months.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What is so horrible about the chat interface?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Saddest Robot posted:

What is so horrible about the chat interface?

Chris doesn't like it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1. Fly in peace

Forgot a package of stealth observer drones small enough to fit into shower cabins.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chris doesn't like it.

It's a simple chat box. You read what others wrote, you write your own messages, it just doesn't get any more functional and obvious. This cannot be tolerated.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Forgot a package of stealth observer drones small enough to fit into shower cabins.

Good idea! Make it a variant, sell it once for 10k each with a limited 100 unit run.

Iglocska posted:

It's a simple chat box.

Exactly!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I'm stupid, why don't you charge back paypal transactions? Does amazon payments have similar issues?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

osker posted:

I'm stupid, why don't you charge back paypal transactions? Does amazon payments have similar issues?

Paypal usually links to your bank account so it's like an ACH instead of a charge.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good idea! Make it a variant, sell it once for 10k each with a limited 100 unit run.

Exactly!

I hope they apply realistic physics to the letters, the text should always align towards one of the edges of the chatbox at varying speeds depending on the direction and magnitude of the current gravitational effects. They should also constantly shake a little for the extra added realism.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I hope someone requests skippable gameplay. No interest in playing S42 but I'd marathon 10 hours of so bad it's good Crobby cutscenes. Chris would take that request as a big ego stroke and definitely implement it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

I hope they apply realistic physics to the letters, the text should always align towards one of the edges of the chatbox at varying speeds depending on the direction and magnitude of the current gravitational effects. They should also constantly shake a little for the extra added realism.

I hope chatbox text has cool, but useless, animations to them sort of like text on the bottom of a news channel.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hope chatbox text has cool, but useless, animations to them sort of like text on the bottom of a news channel.

I also hope that it will be in Comic Sans for extra style.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

I also hope that it will be in Comic Sans for extra style.

Hobo Std :colbert:

Edit: PAPYRUS!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hobo Std :colbert:

Edit: PAPYRUS!

lol. Webdings if you fly a Glaive / Scythe.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If they don't allow you to disable the dumb ship voices I'll never play this

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Google Butt posted:

See you in the 'verse the Danger(ous) Zone!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Google Butt posted:

I thought the ship voices were actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I am tempted. Am I allowed a pinch-hitter if I die in the process, or must the unfinished portions remain forever and take over my lease?

Sure

• Locked thread