Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Google Butt posted:

If they don't allow you to disable the dumb ship voices I'll never play this
But it's immersion! How can you not like the experience of hearing "takeoff complete lAnding complete takeoff complete landing gear raised landing compl-takeoff co-landi-takeoff c-landing complete" for two minutes straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Radio Station Ship variant of the observer, force your taste of music on other players in your sector!

Yakety Sax for all time.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Google Butt posted:

In all the clips I've seen it sounds like the ship has like 20 different voices too. Is that a buggy thing or do they think it's cool to have loads of different voices on your ship?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Radio Station Ship variant of the observer, force your taste of music on other players in your sector!

Yakety Sax for all time.

what would be funnier, yakety sax or just piping a local top 40 music radio station into the game with a bot?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

what would be funnier, yakety sax or just piping a local top 40 music radio station into the game with a bot?

Divinyls - I touch myself

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Divinyls - I touch myself

Just play all Gunther songs on repeat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

Just play all Gunther songs on repeat.

You monster.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Play whatever is needed to have all steamers on the server get their audio muted by automatic copyright strikes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Play whatever is needed to have all steamers on the server get their audio muted by automatic copyright strikes.

Oooh, I like this.

Christmas music in summer. Three week "Happy Birthday" marathons. Mix-and-match music that doesn't fit well, like Country + Dubstep.

Chaos will reign on the radiowaves. :getin:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Son gay, so what?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
I just read again the article " The Conquest of Origin"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_14/87-The-Conquest-of-Origin

It has some interesting parallels to CIG:

- Origin paid lovely salaries, according to artist Steve Powers: "wages started out just above poverty level"
- Origin was all about delivering the vision, no matter the delays or budget - their cardinal virtue was the commitment to do whatever it took to ship the director's vision, they coined: "A game's only late until it ships, but it sucks forever"
- Marathon crunches at Origin was fact of life - Origin Program Director Stephen Beeman's doctrine "sleep is for the weak" was endorsed by project teams
- Richard Garriott made it a point of pride to start each new Ultima entirely from scratch, with not a line of code carried over from earlier games. Even the map editors and other tools were coded anew. Beeman says, "We started with the vision of what we wanted the game to be - a vision generally inspired by our love of film - then busted our asses to figure out a way to pull that off. By contrast, companies like LucasArts or id started with an idea of what it was possible to do, then crafted killer gameplay around that. When our creative vision turned out to be achievable in a reasonable time (as with Wing Commander I and II), we hit home runs. When the creative vision turned out not to be achievable, development dragged on until the next year (or beyond), when improvements to the hardware made it achievable."
- Warren Spector's feelings: "I always felt we were genuinely trying to change the world," he says. "There was a feeling of creating something new, of being on the cutting edge; that was incredibly exciting. That, more than anything else, drove people to do exceptional work"
- Garriott on the early years after the EA acquisition: "We doubled the size of the company from 200 to 400 that first year. We went from 5-10 projects to 10-20, and staffed those projects almost entirely with inexperienced people. It won't surprise you to learn those projects were not well managed. That was totally Origin's fault. We failed, and we ended up killing half of those products. That's probably what set up the EA mentality that 'Origin is a bunch of [deleted],' pardon my French."

Certainly one lesson learnt from the EA acquisition is marketing:

- Furthermore, EA was all about marketing. For Hawkins the question was never, "How good is this game?" It was always, "How can we sell this?" To high-minded execs at Origin - makers of the Ultima and Wing Commander series, the high priests of the high end, who valued commitment to an artistic vision - this attitude was sacrilege.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Two random giant black support beams for the windows that probably obfuscate more vision than it would appear to.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Saddest Robot posted:

What is so horrible about the chat interface?

In Chris's case the problem is that he never tried pressing ENTER to type chat. Instead he pressed ALT-SPACE to load his mouse cursor, moved the cursor over the text bar, typed in the chat, click the "send' button, and then his ALT-SPACE again to remove his cursor.

Google Butt posted:

The new version in the PTU includes a feature to change the volume of the computer interface.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

sorla78 posted:

- Furthermore, EA was all about marketing. For Hawkins the question was never, "How good is this game?" It was always, "How can we sell this?" To high-minded execs at Origin - makers of the Ultima and Wing Commander series, the high priests of the high end, who valued commitment to an artistic vision - this attitude was sacrilege.

I think it's nice that we finally get to see in practice, when money is utterly no longer an issue, as to which of these two extreme development paradigms is better in the end.

Even the most poo poo-tastic and intrusive EA game is worth more than the utter pile of garbage that Star Citizen never will be.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently unmelts may be giftable.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

But you still have to pay with new money to unmelt, right?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
They're giftable? Someone mentioned earlier that the veteran skin is worth more than the original price, maybe I should unmelt it and flog it? :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But you still have to pay with new money to unmelt, right?

Yeah. That's why they might be giftable.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. That's why they might be giftable.

So, theoretically, if the redditor you linked unmelted and sold all his stuff, how much would he make?

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In Chris's case the problem is that he never tried pressing ENTER to type chat. Instead he pressed ALT-SPACE to load his mouse cursor, moved the cursor over the text bar, typed in the chat, click the "send' button, and then his ALT-SPACE again to remove his cursor.

The new version in the PTU includes a feature to change the volume of the computer interface.

How the gently caress does he not know the basic controls of his own game? Why the gently caress didn't he try playing it even once before giving a live demo?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, theoretically, if the redditor you linked unmelted and sold all his stuff, how much would he make?

Not much. I think like $5 for the Hornet since he supposedly lives in Europe with the 20% VAT.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Verus posted:

How the gently caress does he not know the basic controls of his own game? Why the gently caress didn't he try playing it even once before giving a live demo?

Cause Chris Roberts is a manchild.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not much. I think like $5 for the Hornet since he supposedly lives in Europe with the 20% VAT.

Lol, tell him to get a refund

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Verus posted:

Why the gently caress didn't he try playing it even once before giving a live demo?
It was Ben's idea.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cause Chris Roberts is a manchild.

This might be wishful thinking on my part, but would you say he is to game developing what Tim Buckley am (was? I hear he's gotten better) to webcomics. I joined SA with archive upgrade for the sole purpose of reading through the CAD Mock Threads and I've desperately searched for a substitute mock subject since they were closed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BigglesSWE posted:

This might be wishful thinking on my part, but would you say he is to game developing what Tim Buckley am (was? I hear he's gotten better) to webcomics. I joined SA with archive upgrade for the sole purpose of reading through the CAD Mock Threads and I've desperately searched for a substitute mock subject since they were closed.

I have no clue who Tim Buckley is.

Chris Roberts is like George Lucas and/or Spielberg. They created an amazing series that resonated with a large(ish) community and entered into the annals of history as a visionary or respected creator. They then ride this popularity for years/decades and try to make a comeback because the money and attention was good.

When they make their comeback, it becomes clear that nobody challenges their ideas. Whether its because they are yes-men or fearful of losing their job doesn't matter, just that the end result is the same. They also both try to make the most out of new technology to do things they could only dream of "back in the day". However, this backfires for both of them. Lucas replaces a good story with "good" CGI; Roberts adds in systems and functions that were absent in his games 10+ years ago.

Lucas and Roberts hype up their products immensely, promising or spending too much and then realizing they are too far into production to get a do-over. After watching the first cut of Episode 1, Lucas reflects on his choices and laments how his vision has taken a turn for the worst but will eventually shift the blame to suit his internal canon. Roberts plays his game and slowly realizes its a steaming pile of poo poo, and it dawns on him that he is nowhere near an end product. Roberts openly blames Ben immediately to cover his rear end, and it looks like he will shift the blame against anyone so that he can remain an idol to his fanbase.

The biggest difference is that Lucas didn't need to crowdfund (+"donations") to create his project.

I'm going to go chug some cough syrup for Tim Buckley now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Free Jar-Jar Binks

Free Kimsemus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Verus posted:

now you see its endearing and amazing to have it fail live

unlike those other PUBLISHER backed developers with their competent streams. they sold out to THE MAN

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Kdto7SKiM

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What does "2.1 is currently on the PTU" mean?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

If you want to see how a low-budget game with fairly open development does live streams, check out Warframe's dev-streams. I haven't played the game in nearly a year but I keep watching the streams because they give off so much genuine enthusiasm and positivity, even their gently caress ups are endearing... Maybe it's because they're Canadian?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

sorla78 posted:

I just read again the article " The Conquest of Origin"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_14/87-The-Conquest-of-Origin

It has some interesting parallels to CIG:

:words:
That was an eye-opening read- thanks for the write-up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It depends, if you melted a scythe or an Idris M (some idiots did rather than sell them) you'd make a fair bit. Might make ~$700 on the scythe and ~$1500 on the Idris.

Physical items can't be unmelted, LTI isn't really worth anything much anymore as they've sold it too much. limited items you might make a bit on as they haven't sold them again recently, the $10 racing suit, $5 handcuffs, $15 piano, $5 limited handgun, the $20 military ship skin.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: «Kimsemus libertas est!» :siren:

Original ideia, do not steal. Eonwe contact me regarding licencing prices for SA posters.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I hope they have a good system to prevent stolen credit cards being used to gift each other unmelted ships for free.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Mirificus posted:

Steripak idiocy.

How was I to know my ship was 70% plastics? I guess I'll just fly my aluminum ship skeleton around now.

And if you put in a refund request, waited four to six weeks for them to respond and then they reject it, you are past the point that you should be talking to CIG. Start a chargeback immediately. If you want, you can tell them that you're starting a chargeback, but the language is "I'm starting a chargeback" not any sort of negotiation.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

:siren: «Kimsemus libertas est!» :siren:

Original ideia, do not steal. Eonwe contact me regarding licencing prices for SA posters.

"Liberandus est Kimsemus" is better. :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Verus posted:

Liberate tutemet ex Kimsemus.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Verus posted:

That is poorly disguised plagiarism of my copyrighted property. Our legal department will be contacting you soon.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

I thought the ship voices were actually pretty cool.

It gets really old really quickly tho

In ED you can turn off individual warnings. So you can keep the warning you get if someone's shooting at you but turn off LANDING GEAR DOWN alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

Liberate tutemet ex Kimsemus.

Liberate is plural, but tutemet is second person singular. Should be libera. (I know it's a movie quote)

fake edit: Is CIG still hiring a linguist to make them some fake alien languages?

• Locked thread