Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, now I realize I completely botched the Cato pun. gently caress, I've been so immersed in SC that the fail is starting to rub on me.

e: ah, no, both "Carthago delenda est" and "Delenda est Carthago" are valid after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Romes128 posted:

In ED you can turn off individual warnings. So you can keep the warning you get if someone's shooting at you but turn off LANDING GEAR DOWN alert.

that will be star citizen's next big feature.

they will show a poorly made trailer showing off this feature(soon to be implemented) next month!

checkmate again E:D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

that will be star citizen's next big feature.

they will show a poorly made trailer showing off this feature(soon to be implemented) next month!

checkmate again E:D

Turning off a sound effect will make you fall through the floor

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

peter gabriel posted:

Turning off a sound effect will make you fall through the floor

Turning off a sound effect will also sometimes make the sound effect upset and it will instead loop indignantly at you until you die.

Not in game, in real life.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I Greyhound posted:

And if you put in a refund request, waited four to six weeks for them to respond and then they reject it, you are past the point that you should be talking to CIG. Start a chargeback immediately. If you want, you can tell them that you're starting a chargeback, but the language is "I'm starting a chargeback" not any sort of negotiation.

Absolutely. It's not a negotiation. Either they provide a full refund as they have a history of doing for numerous others in spite of not having a refund policy, or you submit a chargeback.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This games development reminds me of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, except Roberts is playing the part of McQuaid and a bunch of idiot man-children whales are playing the part of actual business investors.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I hear a lot about how the filmmakers realized they'd made some mistakes when they saw the first cut of The Phantom Menace, but the story seems to end there. I thought Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were also pretty terrible, but it seems like TPM gets most of the hate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

I hear a lot about how the filmmakers realized they'd made some mistakes when they saw the first cut of The Phantom Menace, but the story seems to end there. I thought Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were also pretty terrible, but it seems like TPM gets most of the hate.

red letter media roundly pans all of them if that makes you feel better

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Amarcarts posted:

They dropped the kid and JJ (Mostly) while also introducing Boba Fett's dad, clones, and a boatload of angst and "darkness".

That and I distinctly remember people absolutely loving the super long lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Annie.

The threequel all sucked, but Episode 1 moreso than the others, thanks to the raw excitement of TRADE DISPUTES and SENATE MEETINGS!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

They also do a great job on the other Mr. Plinkett reviews of non Star Wars movies.

RLM are good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress Midichlorians

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress immaculate conception.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Darth Vader is Jesus

You can't make this poo poo up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, speaking of Red Letter Media their Half In The Bag review for the new Star Wars flick if out (spoilers obviously) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsiJppCdmk

Edit - It co-stars Christie Kringle

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

10/10 would five again

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

poo poo, now I realize I completely botched the Cato pun. gently caress, I've been so immersed in SC that the fail is starting to rub on me.

e: ah, no, both "Carthago delenda est" and "Delenda est Carthago" are valid after all.

It's “esse delendam” you philistine. :colbert:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

If you haven't watched their reviews of the prequels you're probably doing yourself a disservice.

They're good. There's also some moments of cathartic reflection regarding the Star Trek movies.

All in all it's generally a good webzone.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

It's “esse delendam” you philistine. :colbert:

It's all greek to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Every time something like this pops up I think about how amazing it would have been if Star Citizen really was everything they had promised and we could direct all of this energy towards enraging massive hordes of pubbies.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

If you haven't watched their reviews of the prequels you're probably doing yourself a disservice.

They're good. There's also some moments of cathartic reflection regarding the Star Trek movies.

All in all it's generally a good webzone.

I dunno, the voice and pacing of it does kinda get old for me and eventually it feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel, as to what they have to say (then again, that's my own personal problem with a lot of other comedy that's supposedly popularly always funny).

Still, sometimes they put their style to really good use and skits like this happen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Unfunny Poster posted:

gently caress immaculate conception.

I just learned about this a week ago. How stupid.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

It's all greek to me.

Is there a frothing-at-the mouth smilie? I can't find one. :ohdear:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every time something like this pops up I think about how amazing it would have been if Star Citizen really was everything they had promised and we could direct all of this energy towards enraging massive hordes of pubbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Remember when everyone laughed at the end of Episode 3 when we got to see Darth Vader?

Truly a terrifying villain.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Funnily enough, almost the entire theater i saw the new Star Wars in had a repeat experience when what's his name took off his mask...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Roflan posted:

Funnily enough, almost the entire theater i saw the new Star Wars in had a repeat experience when what's his name took off his mask...

I laughed at that part too

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I think 'verse is short for perverse.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
A new thread title deserves a new cat

Am I to assume that Karl has indeed hosed himself?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

bumbles posted:

Am I to assume that Karl has indeed hosed himself?

He saw Chris Roberts playing his own game and realized he made a terrible mistake.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

sorla78 posted:

I just read again the article " The Conquest of Origin"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_14/87-The-Conquest-of-Origin

It has some interesting parallels to CIG:

- Origin paid lovely salaries, according to artist Steve Powers: "wages started out just above poverty level"
- Origin was all about delivering the vision, no matter the delays or budget - their cardinal virtue was the commitment to do whatever it took to ship the director's vision, they coined: "A game's only late until it ships, but it sucks forever"
- Marathon crunches at Origin was fact of life - Origin Program Director Stephen Beeman's doctrine "sleep is for the weak" was endorsed by project teams
- Richard Garriott made it a point of pride to start each new Ultima entirely from scratch, with not a line of code carried over from earlier games. Even the map editors and other tools were coded anew. Beeman says, "We started with the vision of what we wanted the game to be - a vision generally inspired by our love of film - then busted our asses to figure out a way to pull that off. By contrast, companies like LucasArts or id started with an idea of what it was possible to do, then crafted killer gameplay around that. When our creative vision turned out to be achievable in a reasonable time (as with Wing Commander I and II), we hit home runs. When the creative vision turned out not to be achievable, development dragged on until the next year (or beyond), when improvements to the hardware made it achievable."
- Warren Spector's feelings: "I always felt we were genuinely trying to change the world," he says. "There was a feeling of creating something new, of being on the cutting edge; that was incredibly exciting. That, more than anything else, drove people to do exceptional work"
- Garriott on the early years after the EA acquisition: "We doubled the size of the company from 200 to 400 that first year. We went from 5-10 projects to 10-20, and staffed those projects almost entirely with inexperienced people. It won't surprise you to learn those projects were not well managed. That was totally Origin's fault. We failed, and we ended up killing half of those products. That's probably what set up the EA mentality that 'Origin is a bunch of [deleted],' pardon my French."

Certainly one lesson learnt from the EA acquisition is marketing:

- Furthermore, EA was all about marketing. For Hawkins the question was never, "How good is this game?" It was always, "How can we sell this?" To high-minded execs at Origin - makers of the Ultima and Wing Commander series, the high priests of the high end, who valued commitment to an artistic vision - this attitude was sacrilege.

In Origin's defense, the industry was a lot younger back then, and they did legitimately invent some neat tech that was needed badly at the time. What has Star Citizen given us?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beexoffel posted:

I think 'verse is short for perverse.

maybe thats why dick wulf says it so much

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deki posted:

In Origin's defense, the industry was a lot younger back then, and they did legitimately invent some neat tech that was needed badly at the time. What has Star Citizen given us?

Three years of hilarity and some really stellar CG work. It's also been really cool seeing how these assets are made.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Deki posted:

A new era of online humour.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

pftc posted:

He saw Chris Roberts playing his own game and realized he made a terrible mistake.

that self own was totes amazeballs

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Went to see The Force Awakens yesterday, there's a cameo at the end by the guy that plays Old Man? :wtf:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

B_of_InfoRedux posted:
Well as a co-creator and writer of the site let me tell you: not that popular. Lol. We just do it because it's something we love, gaming, comics, board games, etc.

We made enemies (I guess you could say) of the cultists awhile back as we call it how we see it and they don't like that. V wrote an amazing tear down of the infamous letter and I was writing a series in the history of the game, but after getting restlessly poo poo on I took a step back. Just quit giving a poo poo about the whole SC thing for a bit - hence the lack of post here. Today that changed.

We're not journalist. We're opinionated as gently caress and we just talk about what we want. Some like it, some don't. More importantly we answer to no one but ourselves. And we have no qualms about passing some people off with the truth.
What I have read has been of general high quality, so please continue. One thing she forgot to mention (or may not know) is that CIG never says how many backers they actually have. They say how many accounts are on RSI, and they say how many ships are bought, but not how many people have actually paid to back SC.

Also, when they decide to "out" me a customer, back in July, first by Sandi issuing a press release (!), then Ben posting about it on the forums, I warned that this was going to be the Status Quo. Here we are.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

This is actually a really good idea. I mean for those that haven't bought into the game it would be nice to show them what efforts must be taken, and where they will lead, should one invest and then decide to pull out. I imagine there are plenty of people out there that are weary of getting involved due to the possibility of not being able to get a refund should things go south. Also it would just be drat hilarious to post their increasingly "gently caress you" responses regarding refunds.

https://www.facebook.com/mwikan/posts/10153838751161060

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I think Ben has proven far too loyal a lapdog, and far too shameless a Chris Roberts worshipper, to ever, ever be fired by Chris or Sandi. We are dealing with pathological narcissists here.

It would be impossible to find another human being on the planet who knows as much and cares as much about Chris' past glories (real and imagined) as Ben-- and though neither Chris nor Sandi respect Ben as a peer, they see him as invaluable as a suck-up. They know he can be counted upon to fulfill the sacred vow asked of all Star Citizens, to be "faithful until death".

Ben will sooner be sidelined by a stress-and-calorie induced heart attack working at CIG than let go by Chris or Sandi. I think this is a real possibility and I for one would consider that a pretty sad outcome. I know Ben is despised by some for his complicity and mocked by many for his enormity, and he deserves it for the former, but I still have it in me to feel a little sorry for him. I think he's wielded what little power he has by essentially stamping out dissent in accordance with Chris and Sandi's wishes-- and that's pretty drat crappy of him. But he seems like he was a decent guy at some point before the moment he met Chris and Sandi at the crossroads and made a Faustian bargain.

They will never - ever - fire Ben. He knows a little too much and he's going to be a deposing attorney's wet dream.

• Locked thread