Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eej posted:

Pretty sure it's safe to call any of the Royal Guards "it" but the real question is whether Kite is a girl or a boy

Pre-Death Kite was male, his new chimera ant body or whatever is female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Love this series. Chimeria Ant Arc is my favorite. But I do like all of the other arcs as well. I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

klapman posted:

Yorknew City is the best arc, and the Chimera Ants dragged on too long. Hisoka v Chrollo is the best fight.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I had an incredibly detailed dream the other night that the series started up again in a different Jump magazine and would release every other saturday.. Also for some reason older versions of the Yu Yu Hakusho cast were going to show up as side characters.
Waking up was a bitch. On the other hand, I did come up with what was supposedly the best pickup line ever and managed to write it down as I woke up. In case you're wondering it's "I want to open your vagina and throw my dick at your insides"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

Gonna start off this bad thread with a bad post.

I have a gigantic gay crush on Kurapika's voice.

Having a gigantic (gay or not) crush on Miyuki Sawashiro is pretty standard practice for anyone familiar enough to recognize some of her roles, taking into account that she has an unusually cute voice, even when she's using the foulest language and denying your existence or trying to sound cool and mistaking your nationality based on looks. :3:

Regarding Hunter x Hunter, I like pretty much all of it and it's one of my favorite comics / shows ever. If forced to select a favorite, it's either Yorknew City or the Election Arc. Leorio giving Ging the finger and people getting fed up with Papa Freecs' bullshit was the best. The characters just grow into you and knowing that there's more to them than their typical archetypes speaks a ton about how good Togashi is at getting you invested with both characters and setting. YuYu Hakusho was equally great.

I do kinda wish Togashi or somebody at Shueisha would just come forward and give us the skinny with regards to all the hiatuses. Wouldn't being on Jump Next (Which is published like 4 times a year) or Ultra Jump would be better suited if he finds the Weekly grind bullshit too tiresome?

I remember when I saw the schedule the dude who did Nurarihyon no Mago and I thought that it was hosed up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Hunter x Hunter is an action-adventure manga written and illuswait that's uh not the right video, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjq7aj8MhiY

Good Morning is the superior opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANaSlH9wpw

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAflk4baHWE

Prefer this one, not so much because of the music but because of how good everything looks against the darkened city. The music is is still pretty good though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I was looking for something like this. Still need one for Berserk.

He took hiatus during his other series as well. Pretty infuriating when his series are so compelling

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This anime was good, but for some reason i stopped watching right at the last 10 or so episodes... i should go and finish it some time.

Also Kuwabara is one of the greatest characters of all time

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the weird tone whiplash this show gave me. One episode will be "Kurapika kidnaps, interrogates, and murders someone" and it's immediately followed by "Gon and Killua on Antique Roadshow". Does Kurapika ever come back in the manga? Is there enough of a continuation to the manga for him to show up? I was kind of hoping he'd show up when Leorio resurfaced but I guess he's spent the last three story arcs glaring mournfully at this phone?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YggiDee posted:

I love the weird tone whiplash this show gave me. One episode will be "Kurapika kidnaps, interrogates, and murders someone" and it's immediately followed by "Gon and Killua on Antique Roadshow". Does Kurapika ever come back in the manga? Is there enough of a continuation to the manga for him to show up? I was kind of hoping he'd show up when Leorio resurfaced but I guess he's spent the last three story arcs glaring mournfully at this phone?

He reappears in the arc that started up after where the anime left off. In fact, he and Leorio are the stars of it, rather than Gon and Killua. Sadly, the manga went on hiatus just about when it was finishing the setup chapters, so until Togashi picks things back up that's all we have. It's a shame, too, because more Leorio and Kurapika, plus more Zodiacs (with Cheadle seemingly being the main secondary character for the arc) and other stuff made it look like it was going to be really good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hunter x hunter is better than yuyu hakusho even if it never ends

its a shame because there was an ending right there and he decided to start another arc and then decide to never make any more. he should hire a bunch of assistants and direct the series if its not writers block causing the problem

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roland Jones posted:

He reappears in the arc that started up after where the anime left off. In fact, he and Leorio are the stars of it, rather than Gon and Killua. Sadly, the manga went on hiatus just about when it was finishing the setup chapters, so until Togashi picks things back up that's all we have. It's a shame, too, because more Leorio and Kurapika, plus more Zodiacs (with Cheadle seemingly being the main secondary character for the arc) and other stuff made it look like it was going to be really good.

Also Ging and Pariston road tripping together.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tfw you realize what Pariston's name is a ref to

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/read?articleId=21031481&bbsId=G005&itemId=67

Here's this fancomic and a lovely translation because I love this stuff.

quote:

"What a view."

"A fight between the greatest nen master and a monster that stands at the peak of all creation..."

"A battle of this magnitude isn't something that happens everyday."

"The winner..."

"Will become my prey."

"My, my."

"To think that he'd use the Rose."

"For someone who's supposed to be the greatest nen master..."

"The ending was quite dismal."

"Well, then, victory..."

"Goes to me, the sole survivor."

HISOKA, VICTORY BY DEFAULT!

"Where's the palace?"

"It's to the North, your majesty!"

"In your current state,"

"You should be able to arrive there in 15 minutes!"

"Zetsu"

"My, my."

"Looks like the Rose wasn't enough to take him out."

"He's the perfect opponent for me."

"Now, let's begin."

"Well, I've gotten rid of my fatigue."

"Let's begin the hunt."

"It's difficult to find a toy of this caliber..."

"What a pity."

"Well, what's done is done."

"Time to find a new toy."

"One that I can defeat at my own leisure."

WHAT HE STRIVES FOR IS AN ASSURED VICTORY.
THE REASON WHY HE IS "THE STRONGEST."

HISOKA GRADES THE ZODIACS.
NEXT CHAPTER, WILL HE FINALLY BATTLE A POWERFUL OPPONENT?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this isn't the one where gin breaks his face is it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah.

Also Koreans like to believe that Tonpa is actually the true Vice President.

Cause Sir Tonpa = Sir Ton Pa = Ris Ton Pa = Pa Ris Ton = Pariston.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tonpa is pretty much like Higuma (the mountain bandit from One Piece) in that they're both weakass characters who show up and then people like to create these joke theories that they're actually strong. Here's one.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/family/217/read?articleId=13262896&objCate1=&bbsId=G005

Not translating the SFX.

quote:

"It's too early!"

SCREAMING

"Wait just a while longer!"

"Silence!"

SCREAMING

MORE SCREAMING.

"What is that...?! Where is the King? Why is there a human?"

"Hey, Koruto, look at that."

"I think the King's already dead."

"One wrong move and we're goners too. Let's just stay still for now."

"This way, Vice President Tonpa."

"We are here to serve you."

MINION 1
VICE PRESIDENT OF HUNTER ASSOCIATION (FAKE)
PARISTON

MINION 2
CAT EMPEROR
GOREINU

MINION 3
BACK DOOR WATCHMAN
LIN SEN

"Hm."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm ready now that I have the 2011 on my PC. Here's to the rest of the winter :angel:

Is this one the shounen where they have capable adults? Now that im old I feel like I can relate to them more than the kids.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

Is this one the shounen where they have capable adults? Now that im old I feel like I can relate to them more than the kids.

There are.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I'm ready now that I have the 2011 on my PC. Here's to the rest of the winter :angel:

What do you think about teenagers?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

What do you think about teenagers?

Fuckin' students and their vacations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Fuckin' students and their vacations.

That joke doesn't even work here since school apparently isn't compulsory.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

That joke doesn't even work here since school apparently isn't compulsory.

Talking about teenagers in general.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Alder posted:

This is the one shounen where Old Age and Treachery beats Youth and Skill almost every time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Alder posted:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Morau's hella cool.

Most versatile nen power, yeah!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dude can scout, create soldiers to fight for him, create prisons to lock enemies out, create boats to stay afloat, create copies of himself, create ropes to tie enemies up, and more!

Meanwhile that guy from the Nostrad family made like 12 paper dolls that got shredded by Franklin's hand bullets.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To be fair, Morel's a single-star hunter so he's really a cut above like 99% of the scrubs who've somehow managed to procure a license.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

To be fair, Morel's a single-star hunter so he's really a cut above like 99% of the scrubs who've somehow managed to procure a license.

That is one of his least impressive scenes.

"Awww yeah let me bulk up and then get intimidated by a kid."

I really like characters like Morau and Goreinu. Side characters but they leave an impressions.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Chimera Ant arc was bomb as hell. The recent anime did an amazing job during the Gon and Pitou fight, because it framed it with Gon being the villain and Pitou being the hero protecting someone. It was awesome.

Also King x Komugi was handled really well and was super adorable until the end credits rolled and it played the 'wacky next episode music' after they both die instead of the 'sad next episode music'.

Greed Island is trash except for Biscuit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Morel was not all that capable considering he forgot the importance of a good night's rest.

Also i think we can all agree ed 4 >= ed 2> everything else.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I fuckin' loved ED1. So wild.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ED 1 > ED 5 > ED 3 > ED 2 > ED 4

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

fear and loathing is just like "okay the episodes over now". While 2 and 4 have that amazing leadin and you're like "WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Greed Island was weird as hell because it simultaneously expanded on nen and explained that dumb card system that will never be relevant again.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Serious Frolicking posted:

Greed Island was weird as hell because it simultaneously expanded on nen and explained that dumb card system that will never be relevant again.

Togashi relishes creating robust combat systems that could sustain an entire fight anime and then throwing them to the wayside

that's just who he is

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:yeah:

Knov also rules. He got spooked but when you've got a job, you do that job.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tonfa posted:

:yeah:

Knov also rules. He got spooked but when you've got a job, you do that job.

The anime did a really good job of hammering in how terrifying Knov's job was, and the sheer anguish and terror and anxiety that the poor man went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can't wait to see the land beyond upside down america in 2020